What's New

Photo of the Month

Minerd.com Blog


National Reunion


Cousin Voices

Honor Roll

In Lasting Memory

In the News

Our Mission and Values

Annual Review

Favorite Links

Contact Us

Mary Emma (Ogle) Newingham

Mary Emma (Ogle) Newingham was born on June 18, 1870 in Pennsville (Morgan Station), Fayette County, PA the daughter of William D. and Sarah (Minerd) Ogle. Her mother's name also has been given as "Elizabeth Martin" so this all needs to be sorted out.

On Feb. 4, 1895, at the age of 24, Mary Emma married James E. Newingham (Sept. 7, 1863-1943), the son of Henry S. and Rose Ann (Byerly) Newingham of Pleasant Unity, Westmoreland County, PA. They were former residents of Allegheny, now known as the north side of Pittsburgh, Allegheny County, PA.

The Newinghams resided in Scottdale, Westmoreland County.

Together, they produced a family of four -- Frank Ellsworth Newingham, Ralph Henry Newingham, Nellie B. Newingham, and one unknown child who died in infancy sometime before 1910. They also took a fatherless niece into their home, Laura Mae Shively, daughter of Charles H. and Minnie May (Ogle) Halfhill.

They all belonged to the German Reformed Church. 

Scottdale's railroad depot and Kromer House

James' grandfather David Newingham was sheriff of Westmoreland County in the 1840s, and so James would have grown up in a family and home which placed a high value on public and civic service. James and his son Frank are profiled in a chapter in the 1918 book, Old and New Westmoreland, edited by Capt. Fenwick Y. Hedley, and published in New York by the American Historical Society, Inc. His entry states that at the age of 15, James:

... began learning the harness-maker's trade, becoming an expert workman and continuing that trade as his sole occupation for eight years. He then spent two years in Latrobe [PA] with the hardware and grocery firm of I.D. Pores & Company, later moved to Scottdale [PA] where in 1887, in partnership with his father, he bought out the livery business conducted by William Herbert. About four years later the father withdrew and James E. continued the business alone. He built up a prosperous livery and sales business, and at one time shipped many horses to Eastern markets. He also became proprietor of the Newingham meat market, and one of the substantial business men of Scottdale, where he is yet in business. He is a man of genuine public spirit and aids in all movements for civic betterment.

News controversy, 1904
When the federal census was enumerated in 1900, the family lived in Scottdale Borough, where James worked as a "livery keeper." On April 21, 1904, the Daily Independent newspaper of Monessen, PA reported a "war" between James and Samuel W. Webb, a "well known barber." The issue of the feud centered on Webb's desire, and James' objection, to the display of advertising posters promoting Walter L. Main's World Exposition Circus and another smaller show which were scheduled to appear in Scottdale on April 30. After Webb assaulted James in a passageway next to the barbershop, James sued in Common Pleas Court of Westmoreland County. The outcome of the case is not known. 

Tragedy struck the family in September 1904 when Mary Emma's brother in law, Charles Halfhill, was killed in a coal mine accident in Moyer near Connellsville, Fayette County. Compounding the heartache was that the deceased's wife had just given birth a few days earlier to a daughter, Laura Belle Halfhill. While Laura Belle remained in her widowed mother's home until her adolescent years, she eventually was taken in by the Newinghams. 

The federal census of 1920 shows 15-year-old Laura Belle under their roof, and she took on the Newingham last name as her own.

In 1928, James offered his eight-room house for sale at 177 Market Street. It featured a "bath, heater, electric," with the price listed as $5,800. Apparently the sale did not go through, as daughter Nellie is known to have lived there in 1942. 

When the 1930 federal census enumeration was made, Mary and James, son Frank and daughter Nellie, and niece Laura Belle Halfhill resided together in a home on Scottdale's Market Street. James' occupation was listed as butcher in a butcher shop, while 25-year-old son Frank was an automobile salesman and 20-year-old daughter Nellie a saleslady for a retail wallpaper business.

Obituary, 1941
Said the Connellsville Daily Courier, James "was a well-known resident of [Scottdale], having conducted a livery stable for many years, until he was forced to retire on account of the popularity of the automobile." 

They resided in the early 1940s at 117 Market Street in Scottdale. 

Sadly, Mary was afflicted for for years with chronic bronchitis. On Jan. 3, 1941, she was felled by a cerebral hemorrhage which caused immediate death at the age of 70. She had suffered a heart attack, and had been ill for about a year. She is thought to rest for eternity in the Scottdale Cemetery, but this needs to be confirmed. Her obituary was published in a newspaper in New Castle, Lawrence County, PA, where her son Ralph made his home, and also in the Daily Courier.

James survived his wife by a little more than a year. He passed away at home at the age of 79 on April 8, 1943, "after a two-year illness," reported the Daily Courier. Burial was in the Scottdale Cemetery, following a funeral led by Rev. John C. Stoner of the United Brethren Church. A report by a physician said that death was due to exhaustion and a cerebral hemorrhage.

~ Son Frank Ellsworth Newingham ~

Ston Frank Ellsworth Newingham (1894-1952) was born on Sept. 8, 1894 in Scottdale, Westmoreland County. 

World War I book profile
Stepson Frank Ellsworth Newingham (1894-1952) was born on Sept. 8, 1894 in Scottdale, Westmoreland County. 

He graduated from Peterson Business College in 1914. Circa 1918, he was employed as manager of the Weimer Motor Company of Scottdale and also later at the Hetzel-Young Motor Company of Scottdale.

Frank served during World War I with the American Expeditionary Force in Europe and was a sergeant in the Medical Department, Hospital Base No. 61. Frank's photograph, and a short synopsis of his military career, later were published in the book, Westmoreland Towns in the World War

At the age of 25, in about 1920, he wed his first wife, 21-year-old Helen Brown (Feb. 19, 1899-1978), daughter of Charles Louis and Leota (Harbaugh) Brown, of the family of George Washington and Sarah Martha (Sellers) Harbaugh. 

The pair's one son was James Newingham.

By 1930, the couple was separated, and Frank went to live with his father, while Helen and their son made a home with her parents in Mount Pleasant. She supported herself as a stenographer at Mount Pleasant State Bank. Helen married a second time on May 17, 1938, to Donald Edgar Fox (1906-1987), in nuptials held in Reidsville, NC. The Foxes eventually moved to Hagerstown, MD. Helen died there at the age of 79 on Ocrt. 23, 1978.

Sometime between 1935 and 1940, he married Alma (Darrall) Culleton (1919- ? ), daughter of Myron S. "Buddy" and Annie (Dickson) Darrall, and a native of Tennessee. She brough stepsons into the marriage, Robert Steindler and Charles Z. Culleton. 

Old and New Westmoreland book featuring
James Newingham and son Frank
Sometime between 1935 and 1940, he married Alma (Darrell) Culleton (1919- ? ), daughter of Myron S. "Buddy" and Annie (Dickson) Darrall, and a native of Tennessee. She brough stepsons into the marriage, Robert Steindler and Charles Z. Culleton. 

In 1942, when he registered for the military draft, Frank and Alma lived near Scottdale, on the "Star Route." Later, they made a home at Cross Roads, near Scottdale. The family belonged to the Trinity Evangelical and Reformed Church of Scottdale. Frank held a membership in the Scottdale post of the American Legion, of which he was its first commander, and the local Veterans of Foreign Wars post.

Frank earned a living as a Ford Motor Company salesman. Alma was in the news in November 1944 when, in what the Connellsville Daily Courier called "an amicable agreement," she relinquished custody of her nine-year-old son Robert to the boy's father, Roman Steindler, now living in Elkins, WV, a former Western Union Telegraph operator of Uniontown.

The Newinghams were involved in an automobile accident in October 1945 at Pennsville. They claimed that they had been walking together "along the highway leading to Mount Pleasant [and] saw the [Mark] Gorton machine approaching at what they say was a high and illegal speed," reported the Connellsville Daily Courier. "They fled into the yard of the home of Mr. Troutman, they claim, and the offending automobile left the road and ran them down on private property. Mr. Newingham was only slightly injured [but] Mrs. Newingham was seriously injured on the back and hiops and since her discharge from a hospital has been unable to walk." They sued the other driver for damages. At the court hearing, Alma was wheeled into the courtroom in a wheelchair. Said the Uniontown Morning Herald, she "testified in her own behalf but became so hysterical on cross examination that the court was forced to declare a recess to permit removal of the woman to an adjacent room where she shortly regained her composure." The court awarded $5,000 to Alma and more than $1,200 to Frank. 

In 1949, the couple again made news when they attempted to adopt a year-and-a-half old boy, Lawrence Shipley, son of unmarried Blanche Shipley of White, Fayette County. The Newinghams alleged that the mother had demanded $500 payment at gunpoint in return for obtaining custody of the child, but later rescinded the deal when she was offered double the money from someone else. In turn, the mother denied that she had required payment, and countered that the Newinghams had denied her visitation rights. In a legal case heard before Judge S. John Morrow of Fayette County, on Feb. 17, 1949, he denied the mother's request for custody of the boy. The story was headline news in the Connellsville Daily Courier

By 1950, when the federal census enumeration was made, Frank earned a living as a farmer in Bullskin Township near Scottdale. 

Frank suffered from coronary artery disease. Sadly, he was stricken by a heart attack and passed away at home in Bullskin Township at the age of 57 on Feb. 1, 1952. Following a funeral led by Rev. Meade M. Snyder of the Evangelical United Brethren Church, burial was held at Oak Lawn Cemetery in Uniontown. The Connellsville Daily Courier printed an obituary. Word was sent to his brother Ralph in New Castle, and an obituary was published in the New Castle News.

The widowed Alma relocated to Florida and settled in Tampa at 1145 West Cass Street. Using the name "Alma H. Darrall," she wed a third time in 1954 in Pinellas County to 48-year-old Roy W. Strickland (April 7, 1906-1979), a resident of Clearwater originally from Johnston County, NC. News of their marriage license was published in the Tampa Tribune. Roy was a veteran of World War II and the Korean War, having attained the rank of colonel, and had been married at least twice before. They moved to Jacksonville, FL and were there in 1965. Roy died on Feb. 15, 1979. Burial was in Uniontown's Oak Lawn Cemetery in Pennsylvania. Alma's fate is not yet known.

Son James Newingham (1921-1982) was born on April 3, 1921 in Westmoreland County. He was young when his parents divorced. On April 17, 1943, he tied the knot with Marjorie B.  Albert (March 24, 1921-2020), daughter of Harry and Mazie M. (Stairs) Albert of Rodney, PA. Six known offspring born to this union were Janice Newingham, James Richard Newingham, Helen Newingham, Glenn Robert Newingham, Sharon May and Jack Newingham. James was employed as a tractor-trailer truck driver in 1950, hauling heavy freight. They resided in Donegal, PA in 1949 -- Mount Pleasant in 1952 -- and in Acme, PA in 1978. Death swept James away at the age of 61 on Nov. 6, 1982. Marjorie outlived her spouse by 38 years and stayed put in Acme. At the age of 99, she passed away on Aug. 24, 2020. Her funeral service was held at Acme United Methodist Church, officiated by Rev. John Logan. They sleep for eternity in Byerly Freeman Cemetery in Mount Pleasant.

  • Granddaughter Janice L. Newingham (1944- ? ) was born in about 1944. When she was five years of age, in July 1949, she badly cut her right thigh when falling on broken glass at home and was treated at Frick Memorial Hospital. She was a 1961 graduate of Hurst High School. That year, she also was local president of a UNICEF fund drive to raise money for needy children around the world. Janice dwelled in 1999 in Youngwood, PA.
  • Grandson James Richard Newingham (1947-1971) was born on Aug. 11, 1947 in Mount Pleasant. He was a 1965 graduate of Mount Pleasant Area High School and then served in Vietnam with the U.S. Navy. James put down roots in Acme and was amember of the Acme United Methodist Church, where he sung in the chancel choir and was president of its Methodist Youth Fellowship. He held memberships in the Bunton-Malik post of the Veterans of Foreign Wars and the Kecksburg Volunteer Fire Department. James made his residence in Acme and obtained employment with Reese Construction Company of Ligonier. Tragically, at the age of 24, on Aug. 25, 1971, he was badly injured in the Hazelwood section of Pittsburgh. A natural gas line exploded while he was working on a backhoe in the 4100 block of Center Avenue. He was rushed to Presbyterian Hospital. He lingered there for several days until cleaved away by the spectre of death on Sept. 1, 1971. His obituary was published in the Connellsville Daily Courier.
  • Granddaughter Helen Newingham (1949- ? ) was born in about 1949. She made news in the Connellsville Daily Courier in January 1962 when she fell while ice skating and broke her left leg. Helen was joined in matrimony with (?) Sprung ( ? - ? ). Her residence in 1999 was in Scottdale.
  • Grandson Glenn Robert "Sarge" Newingham (1950-1996) was born on April 25, 1950. Sadly, at the age of 46, he succumbed to death on Nov. 2, 1996. His remains rest in eternal repose in Byrly Freeman Cemetery, Mount Pleasant.
  • Granddaughter Sharon May Newingham (1956-1999) was born on Oct. 14, 1956. She moved from Acme to Brevard County, FL in 1989 and was employed in the field of health care. Sadly, at the age of 42, she died in Cocoa, FL on May 8, 1999. An obituary appeared in the Orlando Sentinel. The body was shipped back to Pennsylvania for interment in Byerly Freeman Cemetery.
  • Grandson Jack Newingham ( ? - ? ) was in Pennsylvania in 1999.

Stepson Charles Z. Culleton (1931-2017) was born on Aug. 7, 1931 in Uniontown. He was raised by his grandmother, Annie (Dixon) Darrall. Charles was an alumnus of Uniontown High School and attended St. Joseph College. He joined the U.S. Army Air Force during the Korean War and trained at Scott Field in Illinois, eventually becoming a military cryptologist. He married Cheerful "Happy" Gribas Vogel ( ? - ? ). They were the parents of Charles Z. Culleton Jr., Mark A. Culleton, Debra Hubschmitt Zimmermann and Amber Howell. The family made its home in 1956 in Hamburg, NY. In 1965, at the death of his grandmother, they were living in Fort Lauderdale. The couple eventually divorced, with Charles moving to Meshoppen, PA and Cheerful to Seaford, Long Island, NY, where she wed again to John W. Vogel. Said an obituary, he "was an avid reader, dog lover, and a history buff." He died in Bloomsburg, PA at the age of 85 on May 20, 2017.

  • Step-grandson Charles Z. Culleton Jr. (1955- ? ) was born in 1955. He was pictured in the Uniontown Evening Standard on his first birthday. He dwelled in Seaford, NY in 2004 and on Long Island, NY in 2017.
  • Step-grandson Mark A. Culleton was in Seaford, NY in 2004 and later settled in Bloomsburg, PA.
  • Step-granddaugter Debra Culleton has been twice-married. Her first spouse was (?) Hubschmitt ( ? - ? ). They put down roots in Seaford, NY and bore a son, Wesley Hubschmitt. Later, she wed William Zimmermann. The couple was in Vero Beach, FL in 2017.
  • Step-granddaughter Amber Culleton ( ? -2004) was born on (?). After her parents' divorce, she resided in Seaford, Long Island, NY. She entered into marriage with Vaughn L. "Casey" Howell (Aug. 2, 1949-2001), a native of Montrose, PA. He brought five stepchildren into the union -- Paige A. Howell, Kaci Jo Howell, Vaughn L. Howell, Kavin L. Howell and Skylar Burns. They dwelled in Springville, PA and were the parents of Paige Howell. Vaughn owned and operated Howell's Natural Quarry, and he held a membership in the Blue Stone Association. Sadness blanketed the family when Vaughn died at the age of 52 on Sept. 12, 2001 at Mercy Hospital in Scranton, PA -- a day after the horrific Sept. 11 attacks on our nation. His funeral was conducted in Montrose, PA and an obituary was published in the Scranton Tribune. As a widow, Amber lived in Meshoppen and Tunkhannock, PA. Tragically, she was killed in an automobile accident on March 23, 2004. Rev. Edwin A. Simmons led the memorial service. Her mass of Christian burial was held at St. William the Abbot Roman Catholic Church. Burial was in Greenfield Cemetery in Uniondale, NY, with an obituary appearing in Newsday and the Times-Leader.

    Step-great-granddaughter Paige A. Howell resided in Black Walnut, PA in 2001.  

~ Son Ralph Henry Newingham ~

Son Ralph Henry Newingham (1896-1956) was born on Jan. 6, 1896 in Scottdale.

In about 1918, he wed Minnie Brahs (June 19, 1896-1987 ), a native of Scottdale and the daughter of Charles and Rickey Brahs.    

They had two known sons, Robert Lawrence "Larry" Newingham and James "Timothy" Newingham. 

New Castle's public square, 1930s

When Ralph registered for the military draft in World War I, he was employed as an automobile mechanic at Scottdale Auto Company. 

Circa 1930, Ralph and Minnie resided in New Castle, Lawrence County, PA, where he was employed as a foreman in a motor garage, and Minnie worked as a clerk in an art store. Residing in their home that year were boarders Martha D. Smith and Genevieve Houston, who were teachers in the local public schools. Their son Larry is known to have been born in Ohio in 1933.

When Ralph registered for the World War II draft, he and Minnie lived at 418 Laurel Boulevard in New Castle, and he worked as a salesman for Chambers Motor Company. They were members of the First Christian Church in New Castle, and he belonged to the Mahoning Lodge of the Masons. By the mid-1950s, their address was 1601 Delaware Avenue. Minnie held memberships in the First Christian Church and its Bennett Bible Class, the Order of Eastern Star and New Castle Wimodausis (short for "wives-mothers-daughters-sisters"), a death benefits organization. 

Ralph was diagnosed with hypertension and bore the ailment for three years. He also became blind in the end. He was stricken with a cerebral hemorrhage and died on Christmas Eve 1956, at the age of 59. Burial was in the Graceland Cemetery in New Castle. 

Minnie survived her husband by more than three decades. At the age of 91, residing in the Haven Convalescent Home, she succumbed to the spectre of death on Dec. 15, 1987. John W. Lyons, of the family church, presided over the funeral rites.

Son Robert Lawrence "Larry" Newingham (1932-2004) was born on Aug. 26, 1932 in Massillon, OH. He spent his childhood in New Castle and was a 1949 graduate of New Castle Senior High School, receiving a band scholarship to study at Valley Forge Military Academy. Then in 1951, he was awarded a scholarship to attend Hiram College in Ohio. For two years, while a Hiram student, he served as student pastor of King's Corners Christian Church of Brookville, OH. He also joined the U.S. Army during the Korean War. Larry first entered into marriage with Joy Diane Carr (Oct. 30, 1922-2000). They are believed to have been the parents of Wendy Standley and Robert L. Newingham/ Circa 1968, Larry and his wife resided in Memphis, TN, at 3373 Gaywinds Avenue, and had one daughter, born that year. By 1973, they had relocated to the Panama Canal Zone. Then in Memphis, TN in October 1979, citing irreconcilable differences, Lawrence sued for divorce. After leaving the military, he was employed in sales with Champion Building Products and Laminate Plastics and as of 1987 dwelled in Tupelo, MS. Lawrence wed a second time to Dora "Dee" Murrah ( ? - ? ). She had been married before and brought four stepchildren into the second union -- Wendy Lynn Lyles, Ann Weaver, Keith Murrah and Joe Murrah. Their final home together was in Mathiston, MS. Death spirited him away at home on April 14, 2004, at the age of 71, only a month before the passing of his adopted brother. His obituary appeared in the Jackson (MS) Clarion-Ledger. Rev. Stanley Dorroh led the memorial service held in the First Baptist Church. Ex-wife Joy moved to Fort Myers, LF. There, she passed away on New Year's Eve 2000.

  • Granddaughter Wendy Todd Newingham ( ? - ? ) was born on (?). She received a bachelor's degree in English and a master's degree, both from Wesleyan College, and was employed by her alma mater in 2003. On May 24, 2003, she married Todd Edward Stanley, son of Walter and Mavis Stanley of Albany, GA. News of their engagement was printed in the Fort Myers News-Press. Their nuptials were held in the Lizella United Methodist Church of Lizella, GA. Todd held an associate's degree from Darton College and his bachelor's from Georgia Southwestern University and at the time of marriage earned a living as an insurance counselor with Geico. They lived in Macon, GA in 2004.
  • Grandson Robert L. Newingham ( ? - ? ) settled in Fort Myers, FL.
  • Step-granddaughter Lynn wed Jimmy Lyles. They resided in Mathiston, MS in 2004.
  • Step-granddaughter Ann was joined in wedlock with (?) Weaver. Circa 2004, she was in Huntsville, AL.
  • Step-grandson Keith Murrah was united in matrimony with Denise. They have made a home in Mathiston, MS.
  • Step-grandson Joe Murrah put down roots in Starkville, MS.

Son James "Timothy" Newingham (1948-2004) was born on Dec. 19, 1948 in Cleveland, OH, the son of Jessie Thomas and Clarabelle Amelia "Millie" (Bailey) O'Bryant, who had separated prior to his birth and soonafter divorced. He and his sister Kitty were placed in "a Christian Home in Cleveland." He later was adopted by the Newinghams and did not see his sister again for more than three decades. Timothy grew up in New Castle. He served in the U.S. Navy during the Vietnam War, enlisting in October 1973. He remained in the Navy and in 1987 was stationed in California, MD with the rank of chief petty officer. On Nov. 28, 1969, he was joined in matrimony with Nancy P. Harcar (Sept. 28, 1950-2009), daughter of Paul M. and Patricia (Tobin) Harcar. They remained together over 34 years until cleaved apart by death. Their two children were Kimberly Ann Busby and James Paul Newingham. Nancy was a 1968 graduate of New Castle High School and a talented seamstress. When they lived in California, MD, she was president of the Veterans of Foreign Wars post. She also helped raise funds for the VFW and Moose Lodge after a move back to New Castle. They held a membership in the Clen-Moore Presbyterian Church.  In about 1977, Timothy re-connected with his long-lost sister Kitty and began the process of "adjusting to each other," said the Bradenton (FL) Herald. They spoke of finding their father, but the opportunity to connect did not arise until 1981. The O'Bryants' heart-warming story of reunification was told in the Christmas Day 1981 edition of the Herald. Timothy remained in the Navy during the Persian Gulf War. At the end, they were in New Castle. Sadly, at the age of 55, he passed away at home on May 14, 2004. His remains were lowered into honored repose in New Castle's Oak Park Cemetery. In an obituary, the family said that "We are so lucky to have had him in our lives. We will do our best to carry on his kindness and love as he would want us to." Nancy survived for another five years. She died at the age of 58, in New Castle, on July 5, 2009. Rev. Chris Weichman of the family church officiated. Her obituary appeared in the New Castle News.

  • Granddaughter Kimberly Ann Newingham wed (?) Busby. She lived in Piney Point/ Lexington Park, MD in 2004-2009. 
  • Grandson James Paul Newingham married Lydia. They resided in 2004 in California, MD and in 2009 in Hollywood, MD. 

~ Daughter Nellie (Newingham) Gusdanovic ~

Daughter Nellie Newingham (1899-1971) was born on June 27, 1899 in Scottdale, PA. 

Nellie is known to have been the mother of Hanna/Anna Mary Williams Adams.  

Nellie resided at home with her widowed father for many years, and may have been divorced from an earlier husband. When the federal census was taken in 1930, when she was age 30, she lived with her father and brother Frank, and was not married at the time. She was not married circa 1942 when her brother Frank named her in his World War II draft registration card. That year, she lived on 117 Market Street in Scottdale. 

Later, she was united in matrimony with John Walter Gusdanovic (Aug. 2, 1900-1952), son of Nicholas and Violet (Franko) Gusdanovic. The couple lived at 117 Market Street. John earned a living as a manufacturer of canvas awnings. In Decembeer 1951, he was sued for more than $4,200 in unpaid debt by John Boyle & Company of New York, which claimed it had sold him cloth, awning fabrics and other goods for which he had not paid.

Sadly, John suffered from diabetes and lapsed into a coma. Two days later, he died at the age of 52 on Nov. 14, 1952 after having been admitted to Frick Memorial Hospital in Mount Pleasant. The Connellsville Daily Courier published an obituary. His remains were lowered into eternal repose in Scottdale Cemetery following a funeral service led by Rev. Donald B. App.

She was mentioned in the Daily Courier obituary of her brother Frank in 1952, at was named as "Mrs. Nellie Gusdanovic ... of Scottdale."  She is known to have attended the Scottdale Episcopal Church.

As Nellie's health failed, she was admitted to Latrobe Area Hospital. The angel of death swept her away at age 71 on June 10, 1971. Burial was in Scottdale Cemetery. An obituary appeared in the Daily Courier.

Daughter Hanna/Anna Mary Williams (1922- ? ) was born in about 1922. At the age of eight, in 1930, she lived with her mother and grandfather in Scottdale. She was joined in wedlock with (?) Adams. She and her aged mother shared a residence together in the early 1970s at 117 Market Street in Scottdale.

~ Niece Laura Belle (Halfhill Newingham) Shively  ~

Niece Laura Belle Halfhill (1904-1997) was born on Sept. 2, 1904, the daughter of Charles H. and Minnie May (Ogle) Halfhill. She was but a few days old when her father was killed in a coal mining accident. She and her widowed mother went to live in Pitcairn, PA and later she was taken into the household of her aunt and uncle, the Newinghams. See the Halfhill biography for more.

Copyright 2006-2009, 2011, 2013, 2022-2023 Mark A. Miner