What's New

Photo of the Month

Minerd.com Blog


National Reunion


Cousin Voices

Honor Roll

In Lasting Memory

In the News

Our Mission and Values

Annual Review

Favorite Links

Contact Us


Minnie May (Ogle) Halfhill


Minnie May (Ogle) Halfhill was born in November 1879 in Fayette County the daughter of William D. and Sarah (Minerd) Ogle. Tragically, Minnie lost her father, brother and husband in coal, coke and steel accidents over the years.

At the age of 21, Minnie resided in Moyer near Connellsville. On Nov. 22, 1899, she entered into marriage with 31-year-old widower Charles H. Halfhill (1868-1904), also of Moyer, and the son of John and Sarah J. Halfhill. Justice of the peace William H. Miller performed the nuptials at Uniontown.


Connellsville Daily Courier
Sept. 21, 1904

Charles had lost his first wife (Euphemia "Anna" Boyd) to death just six months earlier, on May 30, 1899, and he brought three young children to the marriage with our Minnie -- Goldie Hice Merryman, Everett Quincy Halfhill Sr. and Ina Doppelheuer. 

When the federal census was taken in 1900, Charles and Minnie and the three eldest children resided together in a home they owned in Bullskin Township, where Charles was a laborer at a local brickyard.

The Halfhills went on to bear three children of their own -- John Halfhill, Hobart Halfhill and Laura Belle Shively. 

By 1904, the 35-year-old Charles had secured work as a laborer at the W.J. Rainey mine at Moyer near Connellsville, and his sixth child Laura Belle had just been born. But heartache shook the young family in the morning of Sept. 21, 1904, when Charles was killed in a fall of slate in the mine. Reported the Connellsville Daily Courier

He was drawing the dangerous rib coal when the accident happened. A large amount came down before he was anticipating it and he was completely buried. His body was taken from beneath the fall after an hour's work by fellow miners. It was badly bruised and cut... Besides his widow the following children survive him: Goldie, Ebbert, Inie, John and Hobart There is also an infant a few days old.


Old Halfhill graves at Mt. Olive Cemetery

The funeral was held in the Halfhill home, with Rev. Myers preaching the service. Burial followed in the Mt. Olive Cemetery in Bullskin Township. A search has been made for Charles' grave in the cemetery, and while several clusters of Halfhill graves have been found, none of the markers is his.

Minnie relocated her family to a rented home on Ninth Street in Pitcairn, Allegheny County, PA, a bustling industrial town where her brothers Edward and Albert and half brother George Ewing Ingles Ogle lived at the time. She obtained work there as a laundress to generate income. She and her children are listed together in the federal census of 1910, though their last names are mis-written as "Hatfield." 

In her later years, Minnie suffered from an enlarged thyroid gland which caused an uncomfortable goiter. She underwent surgery at Pittsburgh's Presbyterian Hospital, but tragically went into shock, and died at the age of 36, on Sept. 3, 1915. Her remains were placed into eternal rest at Pitcairn. Her brother Edward was the informant for her official Pennsylvania certificate of death.


~ Stepdaughter Goldie May (Halfhill) Hice Merryman ~

Stepdaughter Goldie May Halfhill (1892- ? ) was born on July 17, 1892 in Bethelboro, Fayette County, PA. She was but 12 years old at the time of her father's death. 

She was taken into the home in Coolspring near Uniontown of her maternal grandparents, John D. and Euphemia Boyd, where she was raised to adulthood. Charles Tunning was named as her legal guardian. She is shown in the Boyd household at the age of 17 in 1910, when the federal census was enumerated. 

At age 18, on June 14, 1911, she married 22-year-old coal miner John Ralphard Hice (1888-1927), of Lemont Furnace, near Uniontown. He was the son of George and Mary Margaret "Maggie" (Bryson) Hice of Latrobe, PA and Ohio. Upon completing their marriage license application, the couple asked that the news not be published in the local newspaper. Rev. J.T. Eastburn performed the nuptials in Uniontown.


Lemont Furnace, near Uniontown, near where the Hices lived in the 1920s


The four children known to have been born to the couple were Anna Margaret Fike Francis, Ralph Ivan Hice, Dirl Woodrow Hice and John Ernest "Junior" Hice.

When the federal census enumeration was made in 1920, the Hices resided near Uniontown, with John continuing his work as a coal miner, likely at Lemont Furnace. By later in the 1920s, they migrated within the county to Brier Hill, Redstone Township.

Sadly, John suffered for four years with tumors in his intestines, known medically as "carcinata." He died at home in Brier Hill on Oct. 7, 1927, at age 38. The Uniontown Morning Herald reported in an obituary that the cause was "an illness of a complication of diseases." Interment of the remains was in Sylvan Heights Cemetery, Uniontown. Funeral services were managed by the Edward E. Minerd Funeral Home.

In 1930, census records show the widowed Goldie -- going by her middle name "May" -- heading a household with her four children near Uniontown. The two eldest offspring were working to help support the family.

Fire hall in the steep coal mining town of Isabella, 2023   

Goldie was a widow for 21 years before marrying again. In about August 1944, she wed Grover Cleveland Merryman (May 20, 1886-1953), son of William Merryman of Point Marion, Fayette County. At the time, he was a resident of the coal mining patch town of Isabella, Fayette County. News of their marriage license was printed in the Morning Herald. Grover brought a stepson to the union, William Merryman.

During the 1949-1952 timeframe, the Merrymans dwelled in the rural outskirts of Mount Braddock near Uniontown. His employer was Weirton Coal Company, and he belonged to the United Mine Workers local 7321.

Sadly, burdened with hypertension and chronic heart disease, Goldie succumbed to the angel of death in her home at age 59 on Jan. 3, 1952. Burial was in Sylvan Heights. Her husband Grover, living at the time in Dunbar, PA, signed the official death certificate.

Grover only outlived his wife by a year-and-a-half. He suffered from gastric ulcers and heart disease. Death swept him away in Uniontown Hospital on July 23, 1953, at the age of 67. His remains were placed into eternal sleep in Redstone Cemetery. His obituary appeared in the Connellsville Daily Courier. Rev. Melvin Shultz led the funeral service.

Arlington National Cemetery
Daughter Anna Margaret Hice (1912-1984) was born on Christmas Eve 1912 in Lemont Furnace near Uniontown. When she was age 18, she earned income for the family by working as a waitress in a local restaurant in Uniontown. On July 24, 1931, in nuptials held in Uniontown, she married her first spouse, Emerson Garrett Fike ( ? - ? ). At the time, she lived in Coolspring and Emerson in Amend, PA. The couple is believed to have borne a daughter, Ann Margaret Long. The pair relocated to Alexandria, VA. But she was back home in Uniontown in August 1945, when she filed for divorce, stating that "she was abused; that her husband developed hatred and dislike for her and that he kept company with other women." News of the case was printed in the Connellsville Daily Courier. After the divorce, she returned to Alexandria, working as a cashier. Then on Nov. 4, 1946, she married again to 30-year-old Odell Francis (April 4, 1916-1953), a native of Gladspring, VA and the son of John and Minnie Francis. The nuptials were held in Alexandria, by the hand of Methodist Protestant minister Rev. Norman Roberts. During World War II, Odell had served with an engineers unit of the U.S. Armed Forces. The couple first settled in Alexandria, where he was employed as a warrant officer at Fort Belvoir. He was transferred to Wolters Air Force Base at Mineral Wells, TX, a facility for training Air Force engineers. Odell served at Wolters during the Korean War as a member of the 332nd Engineer Aviation Battalion. On the tragic day of May 12, 1953, he was among a group of soldiers directing an Air Force convoy of heavy equipment on a mercy mission to Waco, TX after a tornado had devastated the town. An automobile carrying airmen from Carswell Air Base plowed into the group, killing Odell and one other man, and badly injuring several others. The Fort Worth Star-Telegram reported that the "accident occurred on a steep, rain-slick grade on State Highway 171, about 4½ miles north of Cleburne." The Brownwood (TX) Bulletin added that the driver "failed to heed flashing warning lights behind the convoy." The remains were shipped to Virginia, where burial was held in Arlington National Cemetery, Section 10, Grave 10571-B. His obituary was published in Anna Margaret's hometown newspaper, the Uniontown Evening Standard. Anna Margaret survived her second spouse by more than three decades. She remained in Alexandria and was a longtime bookkeeper. In 1977, she relocated to Orlando, FL, making her residence at 1012 Roberta Avenue. Anna Margaret held a membership in Union Park United Methodist Church. She passed away there at age 72 on April 28, 1984. Her body was shipped back to Uniontown for burial in Sylvan Heights Cemetery. An obituary in the Orlando Sentinel said, among others, that she was survived by a sister, Velma Mihalko of Orlando.

Former husband Emerson Fike married at least once more to Jean M. Combs and fathered additional children -- Emerson Garrett "Garry" Fike Jr., Daniel E. Fike and James Fike. He is known to have been arrested for assault and battery in 1950. Son Daniel, from his second marriage, was badly wounded in Vietnam in June 1968 and died several months later in Philadelphia Naval Hospital. Emerson is known to have lived in Youngstown, OH in 1968.

  • Granddaughter Ann Margaret ( ? - ? ) was born in (?). She was joined in marriage with Dennis Long. She dwelled in Apopka, FL in 1984 and in Monett, MO in 2014.

Son Ralph Ivan Hice (1914-1960) was born in about 1914. Circa 1930, when he was 16 years of age, he labored in a stone quarry near Uniontown. He was united in the bonds of wedlock with Leona Buskirk ( ? - ? ). The couple did not reproduce. In young manhood he was employed at the Friend Lumber Company in Hopwood. Then, in about 1951, he was named superintendent of the Plumbly Lumber Company plant in Winchester, VA. Ralph remained at Plumbly for nine years and held a membership in the Winchester lodge of the Moose. Sadly, at the age of 47, he died at work on Oct. 21, 1960. Funeral services were held in Winchester and then in Uniontown at the Edward E. Minerd Funeral Home. Rev. J.V. Mullen, of Christ Methodist Church, led the funeral service. The remains were interred in Sylvan Heights Cemetery, and an obituary printed in the Uniontown Evening Standard.

Dirl, Dorothy and the two oldest children - Courtesy Michelle Zaksek

Son Dirl Woodrow Hice (1917-1966) -- sometimes misspelled as "Darrell" -- was born on Dec. 18, 1917 in Lemont Furnace near Uniontown. He wed Dorothy Linderman ( ? -1971), daughter of Earl and Florence Linderman of Little Brownfield. Nine children were known to have been born into this family -- Barbara Mae "Bobbi" Hice, Linda Zaksek, Eva Hice, Delores Hice, Wilma Hice, John Hice, Richard Hice, Joseph C. Hice and Douglas Kirk Hice.  Other children in the family in some way were Lisa Kalivoda, Anna Margret, Kevin Pritts and Michael Pritts. The couple made a home in the 1960s at 171 East Fayette Street in Uniontown. Dirl earned a living as a steelworker with Duquesne Steel Company. Stricken for the last two months of his life with an infection of pus pockets in his lungs ("empyema"), Dirl was admitted to Uniontown Hospital, and died there at age 48 on Oct. 11, 1966. Rev. Frank Bodnar of Calvary Methodist Church preached the funeral sermon, and the remains were lowered into eternal sleep in Sylvan Heights Cemetery. An obituary appeared in the Connellsville Daily Courier and Uniontown Morning Herald. Dorothy only outlived her spouse by five years. She passed away at age 48, also in Uniontown Hospital, on June 1, 1971.

  • Granddaughter Barbara Mae "Bobbi" Hice (1941-1953) was born on April 5, 1941. She grew into adolescence in the outskirts of Uniontown. But tragically, on the fateful day of April 22, 1953, the 11-year-old girls suffered severe burns over 80 percent of her body when her clothes caught fire. Reported the Connellsville Daily Courier, "She was playing with a candle at home when her dress ignited. She sustained third degree burns of the body and lower face." Death swept her away in Uniontown Hospital, in the wee hours of the next morning, just five-and-a-half hours after she was admitted. Interment was in Walnut Hill Cemetery.
  • Granddaughter Linda R. Hice (1948-2023) was born on Oct. 21, 1948 in Uniontown. She was a 1965 Uniontown High School graduate. She wed Michael Robert "Fats" Zaksek ( ? - ? ), son of Andrew S. and Anna (Kauchuk) Zaksek of Uniontown. Michael was a 1963 graduate of North Union Township High School. At the time of marriage, during the Vietnam War, he was a member of Company E of the 378th Quartermaster Battalion Reserve Unit of Uniontown and employed by the 911th Military Air-Lift Gruop at the Greater Pittsburgh Airport. They lived in Uniontown for decades, including in 1971-1974 at an address on Coolspring Street. The trio of daughters in this family included Michelle Lynn Zaksek, Barbara Baksek and Stephanie Zaksek. Michael was the longtime owner and manager of the Disco Palace in Hopwood, earlier known as the Village Barn. Said an obituary, "The Disco attracted hundreds from the Tri-State area. The dancehall was known for its dance floor that was lit with various flashing lights." They also owned the Strawberry Kingdom in Butler, PA, where Linda supervised, inspected and managed the sale of produce. Michael "enjoyed selling and working in the fresh fruit and vegetable business his entire life, and had been employed in the produce depts. of Shop & Save and Pechin Markets. He spent many years painting and selling firewood, and for 28 years was part owner of Firewood Unlimited. 'Fats' enjoyed going to flea markets to buy or sell, where he spent time talking to friends, and also going to the casinos." He had a gift for telling funny stories that contained truth. He was a member of St. Mary (Nativity) Catholic Church. Although the couple divorced, they remained in friendly terms. Michael belonged to the National Rifle Association, Trappers Association of America and Fairbank Rod and Gun Club. Sadness blanketed the family when Michael passed away on June 12, 2012. Burial was in St. John the Baptist Byzantine Cemetery in Hopwood, with a blessing service and parish wake service led by Rev. Fr. Stephen R. Bugay. Linda survived for another baker's dozen years. As her health failed, she was admitted to Uniontown Hospital. She died there at the age of 74 on June 29, 2023. Pastor David Herring presided at her funeral rites.

Great-granddaughter Michelle Lynn Zaksek relocated to Lancaster, PA. She is the mother of Joshua Mitchell, Caitlin Mitchell, Peyton Mitchell and Moira Mitchell and has contributed valuable input for this biography.

Great-granddaughter Barbara Zaksek has dwelled in Shady Grove/Lemont Furnace near Uniontown. She appears to be the mother of Rae Lynn Zaksek and perhaps others.

Great-granddaughter Stephanie Zaksek was in Uniontown in 2023. 

  • Granddaughter Eva Hice resided in 1967 at 95 Millview Street, Uniontown. She married Norman "Champ" Howard Jr. They dwelled at 41 Coolspring Street, Uniontown, and were the parents of Norman Howard III.
  • Granddaughter Delores Hice entered into marriage with (?) Kolarik. She was in Uniontown in 2014.
  • Granddaughter Wilma Hice wedded (?) Yauger. Her home in 2014 was in Uniontown.
  • Grandson John Hice married Susan E. Martin, daughter of Samuel W. and Frances "Mum" Martin. They have dwelled in Uniontown and were the parents of Lauren Kara Hice and Christopher Michael Hice. Susan has worked over the years as a medical assistant. Sadly, their daughter lost a battle with addiction and died on Feb. 27, 2013 at the age of 26. An article in the Greensburg Tribune-Review said that she was "found dead in a Washington County recovery house. In her pocket was a bus ticket to Harrisburg, where she would have enrolled in a rehab facility."
  • Grandson Richard Lee Hice resided circa 2014 in Uniontown.
  • Grandson Joseph C. Hice married Connie. He was deceased by 2023.
  • Grandson Douglas Kirk Hice (1961-2014) was born on Aug. 3, 1961 in Uniontown. He apparently survived a near-fatal accident at age 14 and thereafter enjoyed "a happy life filled with many great times with his family," said an obituary. He did not marry, but had a special connection with his nephews and nieces. He made a home in Uniontown and loved to play cards. Sadly, he became seriously ill in the late spring of 2014. Death claimed his life two months later on Aug. 3, 2014. Burial was in Sylvan Heights Cemetery.

Son John Ernest "Junior" Hice (1927-1993) was born in 1927 in Uniontown. He was just an infant when his father died. During World War II, he served in the U.S. Navy. John was united in wedlock with Connie. Their one known daughter was Sherriyll Burke. The couple divorced. He made a home in Cleveland, OH in 1960-1984. He relocated to Phoenix and earned a living with Rubbermaid as a tow-motor operator. He died at age 65 on Sept. 19, 1993. A death notice appeared in the Arizona Republic, saying that burial would be in the National Cemetery of Arizona. Former wife Connie married again to Raymond Wing Sr.

  • Granddaughter Sherriyll Hice wedded (?) Burke.


~ Stepson Everett Quincy Halfhill Sr. ~

Stepson Everett Quincy Halfhill Sr. (1894-1954) was born on July 8, 1894 near Connellsville, Fayette County.

As a young man, he was tall and of medium build, with blue eyes and light-colored hair. 

He moved to Jeannette, Westmoreland County, PA, where he lived on Arlington Avenue. They also lived for a time in Turtle Creek. Everett secured employment as a steel mill worker with Westinghouse Electric Company in Trafford. 

During World War I, he registered for the military draft in June 1917, and declared that he had a wife and one child as dependents. He also disclosed that he had already undertaken military training as a private in Battery C during a three-month term in Portsmouth, VA.

Circa 1915, Everett married Hazel Murray ( ? - ? ) when he was 21 and she 22.

They had 10 known children, among them Donald E. Halfhill, Howard Clair Halfhill Sr., Lois Crabtree, Doris Jean Davidson, Everett Quincy Halfhill Jr., Marjorie Mae "Margie" Oliver, Robert Halfhill, Wayne Halfhill, Barbara Pinder and Sarah Ann Rektenwald.

When the United States Census enumeration was made in 1920, the young family was in Pittsburgh. At the time, Everett was employed as a department manager with a steel mill.

The federal census of 1930 shows that the family had migrated to Beaver County, PA, where they were living in North Sewickley Township. That year, Everett was employed as a machinist in a local sheet metal company. Everett's half-brother Hobert Halfhill also moved his family to Beaver County sometime after 1930.

Everett earned a living as a sheet metal worker as shown by the 1940 census, living in East Rochester, Beaver County and working in a local Navy yard.

By 1943, he is believed to have relocated to Philadelphia, with the married sons Howard and Donald and their families remaining in Beaver County. Their address in the early 1950s was 85 Black Walnut Lane in the Blue Ridge section of Levittown, Bucks County, PA.

Circa August 1951, the Halfhills attended the sixth annual Halfhill Reunion, held at Leichliter Grove near Connellsville, winning the awards for largest family and traveling furthest.

On the fateful day of July 13, 1954, Everett drove to Doylestown to take a driver's license examination. While waiting in line in his car with his wife and daughter-in-law, he was stricken by a heart attack. He "died instantly after stepping out of a car," reported the Bristol (PA) Daily Courier. Interment of the remains was in Sunset Memorial Park in Philadelphia.

Hazel resided as a widow in Bristol, Croydon and Penndel, PA.

Son Donald E. Halfhill (1916-2002) was born on Nov. 8, 1916 in Turtle Creek. He married Margaret Gossard (1917-1981), daughter of Charles and Nellie (Dunn) Gossard of New Brighton. They had one son, Donald F. Halfhill. The family resided at 925 Roosevelt Street in Conway, Beaver County. The Beaver County Times once reported that Donald worked as a sheet metal laborer with Local 12 and enjoyed operating ham radios as well as membership in the New Brighton Eagles and New Castle Masons. He also attended St. John Lutheran Church of Freedom. Margaret passed away at age 63 in the Medical Center of Beaver County on June 4, 1981. She was laid to rest in Sylvania Hills Memorial Park. As a widower, Donald relocated to Edenburg, PA, where his son made a home. He died in Jameson Memorial Hospital in New Castle, Lawrence County, PA at the age of 85 on June 27, 2002. His remains were returned to Beaver County to join his wife in eternal rest in Sylvania Hills Memorial Park. An obituary was published in the Beaver County Times.

  • Grandson Donald F. Halfhill ( ? - ? ) was born in (?). He wedded Michele ( ? - ? ). They were the parents of Holly Halfhill, Windy Halfhill, Dawn Halfhill and Eric Halfhill. The couple's home in 2002 was in Edenburg, PA.

Son Howard Clair Halfhill Sr. (1919-2007) was born on May 4, 1919 in Beaver County. His home in 1940-1954 was in Rochester, Beaver County, with him working as a "chipper" in 1940. At the age of about 21, circa 1940, he was joined in wedlock with Mildred A. Trimble (March 19, 1923-2005), a resident of East Liverpool, OH and the daughter of Elder McKinley and Elizabeth Mae (Phillips) Trimble. News of their engagement was printed in the East Liverpool Evening Review. Their marriage endured for an extraordinary 65 years until cleaved apart by death. Two children born into this family were Howard Clair Halfhill Jr. and Eleanor Porter. Mildred succumbed to death on March 16, 2005, just a few days before her 82nd birthday. On March 22, 2007, Howard passed away. His remains are in eternal repose in Sylvania Hills Memorial Park.

  • Grandson Howard Clair Halfhill Jr. (1948-2021) was born on July 7, 1948 in Rochester, Beaver County, PA. He graduated in 1966 from Rochester High School and then went on to earn his bachelor of science degree in education from Indiana University of Pennsylvania and a nursing degree from New York's Excelsior College. He wedded Nancy W. Etzel ( (? -living). They stayed together for a remarkable 52 years. They became the parents of Robert S. Halfhill, Andrew J. Halfhill and Matthew S. Halfhill and dwelled in Brighton Township near Beaver, Beaver County. Over his working career, Howard held a number of positions, ranging from emergency medical technician, aramedic, and STAT MedEvac flight nurse to teaching basic and advanced life support with the Center of Emergency Medicine in Pittsburgh. His final employer was Accredo Pharmaceutical Company, from which he retired. The couple belonged to Chapel Presbyterian Church, with Howard active in the Helping Hands Group and Spurgeon Society Cigar Group. He played drums with local bands and a passionate follower of the Pittsburgh Steelers. Several years before his death, he and the founder of this website met for lunch at Bert's Wooden Indian in Beaver. Sadly, at the age of 73, Howard died in Heritage Valley Beaver on Oct. 12, 2021. His obituary was published in the Beaver County Times. His pastor Rev. Steve Maker jointly led the funeral service with Rev. Tom Stein, followed by burial in Sylvania Hills Memorial Park.

Great-grandson Robert S. Halfhill resided in Sewickley, PA in 2021.

Great-grandson Andrew J. Halfhill was joined in wedlock with Hannah. Their home in 2021 was in East Liberty, near Pittsburgh.

Great-grandson Matthew S. Halfhill was united in matrimony with Nancy. They relocated to Canal Fulton, OH.

  • Granddaughter Eleanor Halfhill ( ? -living) was born in (?). She entered into marriage with (?) Porter ( ? - ? ). They moved to South Carolina and established a residence in West Columbia, SC.

Daughter Lois Halfhill (1922-2003) was born in about 1922. She wedded Elwood J. "Woody" Crabtree ( ? - ? ). The couple bore these known children -- Patricia A. Lowther, Lois J. Douglas and Robert W. Crabtree. Their home in 1943 was in Delanco, NJ and in the early 2000s in Maple Shade, NJ. Over the years, Lois or Elwood may have been affiliated with the International Union of Electrical, Radio and Machinists of the American Federation of Labor/Congress of Industrial Organizations (AFL-CIO). Sadly, at the age of 81, Lois died on July 29, 2003. An obituary in the Camden (NJ) Courier-Post said that burial was in the mausoleum of Bethel Cemetery in Pennsauken, NJ.

  • Granddaughter Patricia A. Crabtree married George Lowther Sr.
  • Granddaughter Lois J. Crabtree wedded Bruce Douglas.
  • Grandson Robert W. Crabtree was joined in wedlock with Dianna.

Daughter Doris Jean Halfhill (1924- ? ) was born in about 1924. She married (?) Davidson ( ? - ? ). Circa 1954, the Davidsons resided in Philadelphia. Nothing more about the couple is known.

Son Everett Quincy "Ed" Halfhill, Jr. (1925-1993) was born on July 8, 1925. In young manhood he served in the U.S. Navy during World War II. He was united in the bonds of matrimony with Louise Oliver (Feb. 15, 1929-1997). She brought a daughter into the union, Vicki, whom Everett raised as his own. They also produced five children of their own, Jean Halfhill, Deborah Halfhill, Everett Q. Halfhill III, Kevin Halfhill and Kelly Halfhill. Circa 1951, they lived in Bristol, PA. He died on June 5, 1993, and is buried in Florida National Cemetery in Bushnell, Sumter County, FL. [Find-A-Grave] Louise outlived her husband by four years. She succumbed to death on Feb. 8, in 1997 at the age of 67.

  • Step-granddaughter Vicki
  • Granddaughter Jean Halfhill
  • Granddaughter Deborah Halfhill
  • Granddaughter Everett Q. Halfhill III
  • Granddaughter Kevin Halfhill
  • Granddaughter Kelly Halfhill

Daughter Marjorie Mae "Margie" Halfhill (1927- ? ) was born in about 1927. On New Year's Eve 1949, in a ceremony held in Ocala, FL, she wedded Harry Arthur Oliver ( ? - ? ). The nuptials were performed by Rev. S.E. McMichael in the Oak-Griner Baptist Church. In reporting on the nuptials, the Tampa Tribune said that the "bride's gown of white imported taffeta, was made with low round neckline, short cap sleeves and full gathered skirt, with wide vertical ruffles on either side in front and back. Her veil was caught to a tiara of seed pearls and she carried a bouquet of white camellias." Circa 1954, at the death of Marjorie's father, she was in Philadelphia.

Son Robert M. Halfhill (1930- ? ) was born in 1930. During the years right after World War II, he served in the U.S. Navy for five years and received an honorable discharge in 1951. He earned a living in 1954 with Kaiser Metal Products Company. On June 27, 1954, he was joined in the bonds of wedlock with Janet Scurti ( ? - ? ), daughter of Nicholas "Nick" Scurti of Bristol, Bucks County, PA. The wedding was held at St. Ann's Roman Catholic Church, with a reception for 300 family and friends held at Edgely Fire Hall. Janet had graduated from St. Ann's Commercial School and Wilfred Academy of Beauty Culture of Philadelphia. They lived on Otter Street and on Woodbourne Road in Bristol and were the parents of Karen Ann Halfhill and Robert M. Halfhill.

  • Granddaughter Karen Ann Halfhill (1955- ? )
  • Grandson Robert M. Halfhill (1957- ? )

Son Wayne S. Halfhill Sr. (1932-1989) was born in about 1932. He moved to Florida and in the early 1950s dwelled in Daytona Beach. In about 1953, he was united in the bonds of marriage with Barbara Jean Brown ( ? - ? ), daughter of J.D. Brown of Ocala, FL. News of their engagement was printed in the Tampa Tribune. The couple produced these four known children -- Dwight Duane Halfhill, Wayne Halfhill, Sydney Halfhill and Theresa Gertstnmeier. Wayne owned and operated his own business, Wayne's Roofing and Sheet Metal. He married again to Betty (Danford) Hageman (May 20, 1932-2007). She had been married previously and brought five children to the second union -- Greg Hageman, Bruce Hageman, Steve Hageman and Mike Hageman. Wayne died in 1989, with interment of the remains in Greenwood Cemetery in Daytona, FL. Betty outlived him by 18 years and took over control of the family roofing business. She belonged to the Christ United Methodist Church where, said the Daytona Beach News, she "was a lively participant..." She also enjoyed gardening and her membership in the Ladies of the Shrine organization. At the age of 74, believed to have suffered from Alzheimer's, she entered eternal sleep in Daytona on April 22, 2007.

  • Grandson Dwight Duane Halfhill (1954-2008) was born on March 22, 1954 in Ocala, FL. He was joined in marriage with Dodi ( ? - ? ). He was the father of an only daughter, Erica Halfhill. He spent most of his life in Volusia County and earned a living as a roofer and sheet metal worker. In his spare time, he collected John Wayne memorabilia and liked to fish, golf and hunt. Sadly, at the age of 54, he died at home on Oct. 5, 2008. In an obituary, the Daytona Beach News-Journal said that he had "a large extended family of nieces, nephews, aunts, uncles and cousins and a special sister-in-law..."
  • Grandson Wayne Halfhill ( ? - ? ) was united in matrimony with Rita. Their home in 2008 was in Ocala.
  • Grandson Sydney Halfhill ( ? - ? ) made a home in St. Augustine, FL in 2008.
  • Granddaughter Theresa Halfhill ( ? - ? ) married Fred Gertstnmeier. Circa 2008, the couple were in Ocala.

Daughter Barbara Halfhill (1935- ? ) was born in about 1935. Her home in 1954 was in Ocala, FL. She wedded (?) Pinder ( ? - ? ).

Daughter Sarah Ann Halfhill (1938- ? ) graduated from high school in Bensalem, PA. In young womanhood she was employed in Bristol by Barker and Williamson Inc. On Feb. 7, 1959, she was united in marriage with Joseph F. Rektenwald ( ? - ? ) -- also spelled "Rectinwald" -- an airman second class and son of Joseph J. Rektenwald Jr.  of Cornwells Heights. The ceremony was held at St. Bernard's Catholic Church in Philadelphia. She "was attired in a white broacade moire gown with a chapel train," said the Bristol Daily Courier. "Her finger tip veil was held in place by an orange blossom head piece. She carried a bouquet of white roses, with a white orchid in the center." At the time of marriage, Joseph was stationed at Shaw Air Force Base, and the newlyweds established a residence in Sumter, SC. By 1961, the Rektenwalds had relocated to Woodbourne Road in Levittown, Bucks County. They bore at least one son, Joseph F. Rektenwald Jr.

  • Grandson Joseph F. Rektenwald Jr. (1959- ? ) was born in about 1959. On his second birthday, he was pictured in the Bristol (PA) Daily Courier.


~ Stepdaughter Ina (Halfhill) Doppelheuer  ~

Stepdaughter Ina A. Halfhill (1897- ? ) was born in March 1897. She was seven years of age when her father was killed, and she was taken into the home of and adopted by her uncle and aunt, Joseph and Margaret (McManus) Halfhill, of Fairview Avenue and later 222 Trump Avenue in Connellsville. 

When she was age 12, in 1910, and living in the uncle's home, the federal census taker recorded her name as "I.A. Halfhill."

Under the name "Ida Pearl Halfhill," Ina married coal miner Emory Lee Doppelheuer (1896- ? ), son of Henry F. and Christina ( Brickman) Doppelheuer, on April 29, 1915. Emory was born in Clarksburg, Harrison County, WV, but resided in Connellsville at the time of marriage. Rev. Ellis B. Burgess conducted the ceremony in East Connellsville..

They lived in Poplar Grove, Fayette County.

At the age of 21, on Oct. 29, 1918, suffering in the grip of pneumonia, and after just a few years of marriage, Ina died at home. Burial was in Hill Grove Cemetery. A brief obituary was published in the Daily Courier, noting the names of her parents and adoptive uncle.


Connellsville's Hill Grove Cemetery


~ Son John "Jack" Halfhill  ~

Son John "Jack" Halfhill (1901- ? ) was born in 1901. 

He was deceased by January 1985, when was mentioned in the Beaver County Times obituary of his brother Hobert. Nothing more is known.


~ Son Hobart "Hobert" B. Halfhill  ~

Son Hobart (or "Hobert") B. Halfhill (1902-1985) was born on July 31, 1902 in Connellsville.

He married Kathleen Rogers (1911-2005) in about 1929, when he was age 26 and she 17. She was a native of Winchester, VA.

They produced six known children -- Norman W. Halfhill, Richard A. Halfhill, Charles B. Halfhill, Hobert Halfhill Jr., Robert J. Halfhill and Nancy L. Forrest.

When the federal census was taken in 1930, the young family made its home in Patton Township, Allegheny County, PA. Hobert's occupation was as a laborer in a steel works. Living just a few doors away were Hobert's uncle and aunt, Edward and Carrie Ogle. 

Hobert eventually settled in Rochester, Beaver County, PA. Several of the children of his half-brother Everett Quincy Halfhill also migrated to Beaver County.

Rochester intersection, Brighton Avenue and West Washington Street


He spent 33 years in the employ of St. Joe Minerals Company in nearby Potter Township. They were members of the Zion United Methodist Church of Rochester, and of the Big Knob Grange.

Hobert and Kathleen spent their final years together residing in the McNitt Apartments in New Brighton, Beaver County. During his final extended illness, he was treated in the Beaver Valley Geriatric Center. He died in the center on Jan. 12, 1985, at the age of 83. He was laid to rest in Sylvania Hills Memorial Park, following a funeral led by Rev. Dr. F. Robert James. An obituary in the Beaver County Times noted that he was survived by 15 grandchildren and two great-grandchildren. 

Kathleen outlived her husband by two decades. She died in Providence Health Center in Beaver Falls on May 24, 2005 at the age of 94. Rev. Harry Sherry officiated at her funeral, followed by interment with her husband.

Son Norman W. Halfhill married Evelyn (?) and lived in Fairfield, CA.

Son Richard A. Halfhill ( ? - ? ) wed Nancy Marie Squires (1933-2013), daughter of William M. Squires of Center Township, Beaver County, on March 17, 1953. Her bridal portrait and a lengthy article about their wedding were published in the Beaver County Times. At the time of marriage, Richard was a member of the U.S. Army serving in Asia during the Korean War, and earlier had worked at St. Joe Lead in Potter Township. Nancy was employed with Bell Telephone Company in Rochester. Later, she served as a teacher's aide in several Beaver County Schools, including the districts of Aliquippa, Center Township and Beaver Falls. They made their home in Aliquippa, Beaver County, and were members of the North Branch Presbyterian Church of Center Township. Their two sons were Richard A. Halfhill Jr. and Timothy Arthur Halfhill. By 2003, they had moved to Slippery Rock, PA. At the age of 79, Nancy passed away at Autumn Grove in Harrisville, PA on April 8, 2013. In an obituary, the Butler Eagle reported that she "enjoyed knitting, playing cards, travel and fellowship with friends at the camp."


St. Joe Lead Smelting Division near Monaca, PA. From a painting by Howard Fogg for the Pittsburgh & Lake Erie Railroad Co., of the New York Central System.


Son Charles B. Halfhill (1935-2002) was born on Aug. 3, 1935. He resided in New Brighton and Rochester. Circa 1977, he was an officer of the Rochester Post No. 128 of the Veterans of Foreign Wars. He died on June 4, 2002, at the age of 66.

Son Robert J. Halfhill made his residence in Beaver and Darlington, Beaver County.

Son Hobert Halfhill Jr. wed Chris (?) and lived in Saugus and Santa Clarita, CA. 

Daughter Nancy L. Halfhill (1941-2003) was born on Aug. 22, 1941 in Rochester. She married David Forrest and lived in New Sewickley Township near New Brighton. They had three children -- Tammy Romjaniak, Lori August and David Forrest II. Active in the local community, Nancy served as secretary for New Sewickley Township and belonged to the New Sewickley Kiwanis Club. Circa 1972-1980, they were officers of the Beaver Valley Vagabonds Chapter of the National Campers and Hikers Association. She passed away at the age of 61 on June 26, 2003, in Villa St. Joseph in Baden. Burial was in Sylvania Hills Memorial Park, following a funeral led by Rev. Debra Rogosky.


~ Daughter Laura Belle (Halfhill-Newingham) Shively ~

Daughter Laura Belle Halfhill (1904-1997) was born on Sept. 2, 1904, just a few days before her father was killed at the Moyer mine near Connellsville. Thus she would only have known about her father through stories her mother, elder siblings and relatives would have told.

Laura Belle moved with her widowed mother to Pitcairn, Allegheny County, PA, where they lived together in 1910. 

By 1920, however, the 15-year-old Laura Belle had been placed in the home of her aunt and uncle, Mary Emma and James E. Newingham, in Scottdale, Westmoreland County, PA. She took on the Newinghams' last name as her own. 

At the age of 19, on July 18, 1923, Laura Belle "Newingham" married 19-year-old John Leighty Shively Jr. (1904- ? ), the son of John L. and Nevada (Hodge) Shively Sr. The wedding took place in Westmoreland County.

They had four sons -- James C. Shively, William R. Shively, John "Jack" Shively and David H. Shively. 

When the federal census was taken in 1930, the family lived in Scottdale, where John was employed as an automobile salesman. Circa 1933, they lived in Somerset, Somerset County, PA.

The Shivelys separated at some point in time, after 1933. Circa 1943-1952, Laura lived in Scottdale. In June 1953, when John's mother died, the newspaper obituary listed John's whereabouts as "unknown." She kept herself busy and was elected as assistant librarian among the officers of the Adelphi Class of the First Evangelical United Brethren Church in 1968.

She died on Sept. 29, 1997, at the age of 93.

Son James C. Shively (1924-2003) was born on April 29, 1924 in Scottdale. At the age of 21, he wed Constance I. King on Aug. 8, 1945, in the parsonage of the Methodist Church of Oakland, MD. At the time, he was a corporal in the US Army during World War II, and on furlough from the military. She was a former beautician at Kay's Beauty Shoppe in Scottdale. In August 1947, he re-enlisted for three years, choosing Europe as his destination. Said the Courier, "He has a total of three years and eight months in the Army, his last tenure being with the 71st Infantry, 44th Division." By 1949, the Shivelys had divorced. James married again, on Feb. 28, 1949, to Esther Dorothy "Billie" Calhoun. They were wed in the Presbyterian Church of Bedford, Bedford County, PA. Reported the Courier, "After the ceremony, the couple motored to New York and New Jersey, stopping at Fort Dix where the bridegroom had been stationed prior to gong to Japan... Sergeant Shively is stationed at Tokyo, Japan, and will leave April 7 for his base. The bride, who is employed as an operator for the Bell Telephone Company, will join her husband in Japan." The Shivelys had two children, James W. Shively and Judy A. Shively. James also served in the Army during the Korean War. By 1973, they had moved to Bethel Park, Allegheny County, PA. That year, James was pictured in the Courier after receiving the Department of Army Certificate of Award for outstanding performance as the staff personnel assistant of the 99th Army Reserve Command, ARCOM. In covering the story, the Courier said that James "serves as one of the top officers of the 99th ARCOM, both in his military and civilian capacity... [He] entered the military in 1942 and has served as staff personnel assistant for the past five years." In all, James served for 32 years in the military, retiring in 1975 as chief warrant officer 4. The family lived in St. Petersburg, FL and then relocated to Sun City, AZ. After his wife Esther died, James married again, to Cynthia. James died at the age of 78 in Sun City on March 14, 2003.


Robertshaw 50th 
anniversary booklet

Son David H. Shively (1933-2011) was born on July 8, 1933 in Somerset, Somerset County, PA. On Feb. 15, 1957, he eloped with Margie Weaver to Winchester, Frederick County, VA, where they were united in marriage in the Evangelical United Brethren Church. She was employed at the time with R.E. Uptegraff Manufacturing Company in Scottdale. They had three children -- Rev. David H. Shively, Jon Randall "Randy" Shively and Becci Cerk. He was a veteran of two years in the Army. Early in his career, he worked for a Fruehauf plant near Uniontown and Rack Engineering in Connellsville. As with many cousins in the extended Minerd-Minard-Miner-Minor clan, David was employed with Robertshaw Controls' machine department in New Stanton, and spent 15 years with the company. They made their residence in Scottdale in 1962, where David served as deacon, board chairman and van driver. By 1977, the Shivelys had relocated to Orlando, FL, but they returned to Scottdale in later years. David passed away at the age of 78, in Excela Health Frick Hospital in Mt. Pleasant, on Oct. 22, 2011. Burial was in Green Ridge Memorial Park. His son David, along with Rev. Robert Chambers, conducted the funeral service.


Sons James and John

Son William R. Shively ( ? - ? ) was born in (?). He was joined in matrimony with Lois Shedlock ( ? - ? ). They had three children -- William Joseph Shively, Daniel Ray Shively and Cathy Ann Shively. Circa 1962, they made their home in Connellsville.

Son John "Jack" Shively ( ? - ? ) married (?) Stoner ( ? - ? ). In 1969, they moved from Scottdale to Orlando, FL. Their son Bruce Shively made headlines in the Courier in 1970 when he received honors with Little League Baseball in Orlando.

Sons James and John (seen here together) served in the U.S. Army during the Korean War, James with the Service Company of the 27th Infantry Division, and John with a transportation battalion. In early 1951, they made news in Korea when they met for the first time in two years, in the town of Taegu. In a front page article in the Connellsville Courier, in which they are pictured, the story said:

[James] is now serving with the famed Wolfhead Regiment, which was then in Suwon, Korea. It is one of the first United States units to enter the Korean War from Japan. [John] is one of the many reserves called to active duty as a result of the action in Korea. He returned to service on September 30, 1950, and arrive in Korea on December 24 of that year. The transportation battalion is sponsored by the Reading Railroad of Reading, and is stationed at Sindong, Korea ... one of the main links supplying equipment to all front line troops.


Copyright 2011-2013, 2016, 2020 Mark A. Miner

Halfhill obituary courtesy of Ancestry.com