What's New

Photo of the Month

Minerd.com Blog


National Reunion


Cousin Voices

Honor Roll

In Lasting Memory

In the News

Our Mission and Values

Annual Review

Favorite Links

Contact Us


Margery (Rush) Williams

Margery Victoria (Rush) Williams was born in 1854 in Uniontown, Fayette County, PA, the daughter of Civil War veteran John K. and Syvilla (Younkin) Rush. Her name also was spelled "Marjory." She and her husband produced eight children and were the great-grandparents of singer and actress Shirley Jones among others who made their own mark on Americana. Too many of their offspring endured tragic heartache.

On March 27, 1876, when she was age 21, Margery married 28-year-old John Martin Williams (1848-1914). The ceremony took place in Dunbar, Fayette County. Born on Feb. 11, 1848, the groom was the son of James and Rebecca (Killdowl) Williams.

Their eight offspring were Lulu Lavena Haney Johnston, Osieola "Osie" (Williams) Williams, James "Arthur" Williams, John Andrew Williams, Ina Lee Christner, Charles Harold Williams, Elsie Venor Williams and Alexander Ewing Williams. Sadly, daughter Elsie died on March 24, 1895, from an incurable case of scarlet fever, at the tender age of one year, seven months.


Margery and John's home place in Uniontown

When the federal census was taken in 1880, John and Margery and their eldest two children lived together, with John's occupation shown as "works on farm."

In 1881, Margery purchased a half-acre tract of land in North Union Township from John and Elizabeth Collins, for the sum of $130. Margery and John resided in their home in Uniontown's East End for many years, where John was employed as a foreman and a fire boss in local coal mines.


Great Bethel Baptist Church

They were longtime members of the Great Bethel Baptist Church, where John was an active member of Sunday School Class 5. 

He also made investments in coal-producing properties, among them a 1907 deal in the Luzerne Resource Development Company of East Millsboro, Fayette County. He eventually lost his financial interest in the Luzerne asset in a tax sale.


Uniontown Daily News
Standard, Oct. 29, 1914

In his later years, John's widowed father came to live in their household on Coolspring Street. He died there in 1901, at the age of 85. Click to view his black funeral card with gold lettering mounted on thick cardboard.

The family endured an unspeakable tragedy in 1910 when their young son in law Milton Haney -- a popular local baseball player -- was electrocuted and died while working on a live electric line. The funeral service was held at the Williamses' home, attended by family and friends, including the deceased's West Penn Power Company co-workers and fellow ballplayers from the church baseball league.

John became afflicted with severe bronchial pneumonia in the fall of 1914. Unable to recover, he died at the age of 66, in Uniontown, on Oct. 28, 1914. He was laid to rest in Park Place Cemetery in Uniontown. 

His obituary in the Uniontown Daily News Standard reported that his was "a short illness" and that funeral services would be held in the family home on Coolspring Street, preached by Dr. J.S. Bromley. The article added that "He is survived by his wife, Margery Victoria, who was a daughter of John K. Rush of Farmington."

Margery lived for another four years in her home at 37 Union Street. Suffering from "chronic interstitial nephritis" (kidney disease), she passed away at the home of her son John in Uniontown on Jan. 7, 1918, at the age of 64. Burial was in Park Place Cemetery. A one-sentence obituary was printed in the Connellsville Daily Courier, and most likely in one of the Uniontown newspapers.

On Sept. 3, 1939, some two decades after Margery's passing, their descendants gathered for a first-time family reunion, held at Hubert Beach.

Margery and John were the great grandparents of famed American actress and singer Shirley Jones.


Williams reunion, Sept. 3, 1939, Hubert Beach. Above, L-R: Arthur, Ewing, Lulu, Ina, Osie, Charles and John. Below: the men-folk of the family.

~ Daughter Lulu Lavena (Williams) Haney Johnston ~



Lulu and 1st husband Milton Haney

Daughter Lulu Lavina Williams (1877-1952) was born on Aug. 23, 1877 in Uniontown. 

As a teenager, she attended Park School, Room No. 4, in North Union Township, with J.N. Huntley serving as her principal. Click to view the card she received upon graduation in 1895, when she was age 18.

On June 27, 1900, Lulu married Milton Melvin Haney (1880-1910), son of John Rockwell and Emma Haney, of German Township, Fayette County. At the time, Lulu was age 22 and Milton 20, and he worked as a carpenter. 

They had four known children, Lester Milton Haney, Grace LaBlanche Haney, John William Haney and Blanche Elizabeth Barnes. The Grim Reaper swept away their baby Grace at the age of 18 months, from a case of whooping cough and pneumonia, on Feb. 28, 1903.

The family made its home in Uniontown's East End where Milton obtained work in about 1908 as an electrician for the local electrical utility, West Penn Power Company. He was considered "one of the most faithful and popular employees," said the Uniontown Morning Herald, and "was well liked by all who knew him." His brother in law, Charles Harold Williams, also was employed by the company as a telephone lineman and electrician. Circa 1910, Milton also was a star player for the East End church league baseball team.


West Penn Power plant, Connellsville

Tragedy rocked the family on July 22, 1910 when 30-year-old Milton was at work. He and Charles Lathan were focusing their efforts on a switchboard which required shifting of wires. While busy repairing the electric line, both of his hands accidentally touched a live wire containing 2,200 volts of electricity. He cried out "Oh my" and was found by fellow workers hanging on the live wires, his hands blackened. They somehow were able to pry him off the wires and carry him into a nearby building where he could receive medical care.

Death blessedly was almost instantaneous. He lived for a half hour and was treated by "four of Uniontown's leading physicians" but to no avail, reported the Uniontown Morning Herald. Dr. A.E. Crow was the first on the scene and only detected one beat of Milton's heart. Doctors John Detwiler, P.F. Smith and F.H. Taylor came later and spent more than two hours trying "every known means of resuscitation."

A hysterical Lulu also arrived at the site and was restrained while trying to climb a ladder so she could see her husband's face. Said the Herald

As a result of a conference between the physicians and relatives it was decided that Dr. Detwiler should break the sad news to Mrs. Haney. As she sat on the chair with her eyes still on the closed doors behind which the lifeless form of her husband lay she was approached by Dr. Detwiler, who advised her to go home and lie down and she would feel better. "I don't care about myself, I want to know about him," wailed the woman. Seeing the doctor holding a whispered conversation with one of the men near her she exclaimed "You don't need to whisper, but tell me, is he dead?" "I'm afraid so" replied Dr. Detwiler. Without uttering another word the woman cried violently as she was led away. There was not a dry eye in the entire crowd that witnessed the sad dialogue and many women sobbed as they realized the ordeal to which the woman was subjected.



Uniontown Morning Herald coverage of Milton's tragic death, 1910


His remains were laid to rest in Park Place Cemetery with Rev. F.C. Veile preaching the service. Said the Herald, Rev. Veile "spoke in flattering terms of the life that Mr. Haney had lived. His remarks made a deep impression on the persons present, many of whom were moved to tears." A large floral wreath from his baseball club contained his first baseman's glove and the game ball from the last game in which he had played. His brother in law, John Andrew Williams, serving as the informant for his official Pennsylvania certificate of death.

Lulu survived her first husband by more than four decades. 

On Sept. 18, 1913, at the age of 36, Lulu married again, to 35-year-old Charles L. Johnston (1878- ? ). Circa 1920, they resided on Grant Street in Uniontown, where Charles worked as a brakeman on the railroad. Standing six feet tall, he was said to have been a musician who once played violin for an orchestra led by famed conductor Victor Herbert.

They had two more children of their own, including Gladys Lunette Fowler Hage and Charles Francis Velie Johnston.


Lulu in the 1920s

The couple resided in Uniontown. Their marriage was troubled, as Charles enjoyed the pleasures of drink and other women. At some point, he left the family and went to Arizona, saying he was prospecting for valuable minerals. He wrote home, saying he enjoyed lying in the desert studying the nighttime sky filled with stars. Every year thereafter, Lulu looked for his return. But he never came back, and presumably died in Arizona. 

Lulu was acquainted with Thomas H. Hudson, president judge of the Fayette County Court of Common Pleas. She volunteered to promote his campaign in 1925, and when she apparently prepared to leave Uniontown for Beaver, Beaver County, PA, he wrote a letter of reference dated Nov. 22, 1926. In his words: 

I have known Mrs. Lulu Johnson [sic], of our city, for several years. During my campaign last year, she was one of my active supporters. She is a woman of good reputation and works hard to support herself and family. Very sincerely.

When their daughter Blanche eloped to West Virginia with Robert Ross Barnes in mid-August 1927, Lulu sent formal announcements to family and friends, under the text "Mr. and Mrs. C.L. Johnston announce the marriage of their daughter..."


White House Letter, 1934

During the hardships of the Great Depression in the 1930s, Lulu resided at 455 Third Street in Beaver and supported herself by baking and making candy. On New Year's Day 1934, she sent a letter with samples of her candy to President Franklin Delano Roosevelt. The letter was forwarded to First Lady Eleanor Roosevelt, and the following month, Lulu received the following reply:

My dear Mrs. Johnston: Mrs. Roosevelt asks me to acknowledge your letter of January 1st, which she read with much interest. I am sure that the President, who is too busy himself just now, would want me to express his appreciation of your thought of him and his thanks for the candy. Very sincerely yours, Melvina T. Scheider, Secretary to Mrs. Roosevelt.

Again in the autumn of 1936, Lulu wrote to Roosevelt. She received a response on White House stationery dated Nov. 6, 1936, from M.H. McIntyre, assistant secretary to the president. It read: "My dear Mrs. Johnston: The President has asked me to thank you for your kind letter. He is indeed grateful for your friendly interest. Very sincerely yours." Lulu treasured these letters and kept them for the rest of her life.

When the federal census was enumerated in 1940, Lulu and her son Charles lived together in Beaver, Beaver County, PA. That year, she earned income as a seamstress with the Works Progress Administration (WPA). She was a member of the First Methodist Church in Beaver and its Woman's Bible Class.

Circa 1948, Lulu's address was 913 Arch Street, Pittsburgh. She transferred her church membership to the Christian and Missionary Alliance Church in Pittsburgh's North Side.

She was disabled by a stroke in 1950 and spent her final years at 3101 Schleck Street in Brentwood, in the South Hills section of Pittsburgh. Suffering from heart disease and gall bladder problems, she passed away in St. Joseph's Hospital in Pittsburgh on May 13, 1952, at the age of 74. 


Lester M. Haney

Funeral services were held in the Gross Funeral Home in Freedom, Beaver County, PA, led by Rev. Joseph Kirkwood of the First Baptist Church of New Brighton. Burial followed in Sylvania Hills Memorial Park Cemetery near New Brighton. An obituary was printed in her hometown newspaper, the Uniontown Morning Herald.

Son Lester Milton Haney (1900-1965) was born on Dec. 8, 1900 in Uniontown. As an adult he stood five feet, seven inches tall, weighed 148 lbs, and had a fair complexion, brown eyes and brown hair. At the age of 20, in 1920, he lived at home and was considered a civil engineer. He married Elizabeth O'Connor ( ? -1976), daughter of John and Jane O'Connor of Uniontown. Their seven children were John Edward Haney, Shirley Petrie, Jane Haney, Thomas Haney, Lester Haney, Franklin Delano "Buzzy" Haney and James Haney. They relocated in 1930 to Freedom, Beaver County, PA where they resided for many years. In about 1943, they moved again to Darlington, Beaver County. Today, Haney Road in Darlington is named for their family. Early in his career, Lester was a civil engineer with Michael Baker Jr., Inc., in Rochester, Beaver County. He later was employed in a similar capacity with the Frank Ciccarelli Engineering firm. Heartache shook the family on Dec. 2, 1965, when Lester was on a job site. "While working with a crew of engineers laying out lots at Broadmont Village, Hopewell Township," reported the Beaver County Times, he "suffered a heart attack." He was rushed to nearby Aliquippa Hospital where he expired a short time later. Burial was private. Elizabeth survived him by 11 years and made her home in Darlington, Beaver County. She passed away in the Medical Center of Beaver County, Beaver Falls Unit, on Christmas Eve 1976. Interment was in Sylvania Hills Cemetery, following a funeral preached by Rev. Vernon Barrel of the First Christian Church of Darlington. An obituary was printed in the Times.

Above: Lester interrupted from reading his newspaper. Below: Elizabeth (right) with sisters in law Blanche Barnes and Gladys Hage (center).


  • Grandson Lester William Haney ( ? - ? ) married Gladys Hendricks Rogers, granddaughter of William Edgar Rogers Sr. They were united in marriage on July 3, (?) at St. Paul's Church in Bound Brook, NJ. They lived in Middlesex, NJ in 1965. He later relocated to Frederick, MD and was there in 2001.
  • Grandson Thomas M. Haney resided in New Galilee, Beaver County in 1965. By 2001, he had moved to nearby Ellwood City, Lawrence County.
  • Grandson James Haney originally was employed by American Bridge Company in Ambridge, Beaver County. He married Nancy Harris. Later, they relocated to California. They made their home in the mid-1960s in Los Angeles, and in 2001 in Walnut Creek, CA.
  • Grandson Franklin Delano "Buzz" Haney (1936-2012) was born on Oct. 31, 1936 in Beaver Falls and was named after the nation's popular president. Following his father's line of work, he was a self-employed surveyor. In about 1959, when he was 23 years of age, he married Phyllis Jean Ferguson (May 21, 1935-2019), daughter of Blair Elliot and Helen Margaret (Begley) Ferguson. Prior to marriage, Phyllis attended modeling school. Franklin and Phyllis remained married for 53 years. The Haneys dwelled in Enon Valley, Beaver County, and later in Chippewa Township, Beaver Falls. They had two children -- Lisa Margaret Best and John Douglas Haney. Phyllis' family owned Ferguson Farms and P. Ferguson Transportation, a bus company which was a longtime contractor with local school districts, including four decades serving the Beaver Area School District. Heartache shook the family on Sept. 30, 2004 when daughter Lisa Best, age 43, died in Jameson Hospital in New Castle. Franklin survived his daughter by eight years. He died three days after Christmas 2012. Rev. Ted Ludwig preached the funeral services followed by interment in Sylvania Hills Memorial Park. Adding to the suffering, their son John died at the age of 50 on July 29, 2013, at Heritage Valley Beaver. Phyllis continued on with the family business and on Aug. 24, 2016 was featured and pictured with her team in a Beaver County Times article, "The bus stops here: P. Ferguson Transportation rolls into new year with old-school approach." Sadly, Phyllis' health declined and she passed away on Jan. 24, 2019 in Good Samaritan Hospice. Interment was in Beaver Falls Cemetery.


Haney offspring -- above, L-R: Lester, Thomas, James and 
Franklin "Buzz." Below, L-R: Shirley, Jane and John


  • Granddaughter Shirley Haney wed William A. Petrie ( ? -1989), son of Philip H. and Josephine Petrie. In 1965, their residence was New Brighton, Beaver County. William was president of Petrie Industrial Equipment Inc. in Zelienople, PA and of Petrie Industrial Tractor Inc. of Delmont, PA. They had two daughters, Susan Elizabeth Petrie and Nancy Jo Petrie. After suffering an extended illness, William died on Jan. 14, 1989 in the Medical Center of Beaver. His remains were interred in Zelienople. Shirley later relocated to Baltimore, MD.
  • Granddaughter Jane Haney (1938- ? ) was born on Sept. 9, 1938 in Beaver County and a twin with her brother John. She was unmarried and lived with her parents in Darlington in 1965. She moved to Texas and was there in 2001.
  • Grandson John Edward Haney (1938-2001) was born on Sept. 9, 1938 in Beaver County, a twin with his sister Jane. Early in adulthood, he made a living as a builder. Later, in about 1964, he migrated to Herndon, VA, where he spent the rest of his life. He wed Bette Jane (?) and they had two sons -- John A. Haney and Eric M. Haney. John died in Columbia Reston Hospital in Virginia at the age of 62 on Jan. 8, 2001. After funeral services held in Chantilly Bible Church in Herndon, his remains were returned to Beaver County to rest in Sylvania Hills Memorial Park.



John W. and Wilhelmina "Billie" Haney

Son John William Haney (1905-1944) was born on July 5, 1905. He was married twice. He is said to have produced moonshine in Kentucky and to have married a local Kentucky girl, Wilhelmina "Billie" Heinz ( ? - ? ). They had at least one daughter, Vivian Haney. John was arrested for his illegal alcohol production activity and incarcerated in Western Penitentiary. He married again to Edna Mae Anderson (1914-2002) and had two more children, Faith Dvorak and John William Haney. In about 1939, they moved to an apartment in the rear of 409 Adams Street in Rochester. Circa 1944, during World War II, he was employed at the Curtis-Wright Company in Vanport, near Beaver, which produced propellers for U.S. fighter airplanes. Suffering from what a physician called "acute alcoholism," he collapsed on April 3, 1944, at the age of 38, allegedly after ingesting canned heat, a type of fluid used for sterno cooking devices. He was rushed to Rochester General Hospital but only survived there for 30 minutes. Burial was in Freedom's Oak Grove Cemetery. Widowed at the age of 30, Edna married again to widower Albert George Householder Sr. (1909-1975), the son of Herman and Mary Alice (Murphy) Householder. He had been married once before to Sarah O'Hara and brought three children to the marriage -- Albert Householder Jr., Eileen Powell and Nancy Juretic. They made their home in North Sewickley Township, Beaver County, and had three additional children -- Herman "Ted" Householder, Faith "Mary" Machine and June Fleagle. Albert was a longtime employee of the Babcock & Wilcox Company's Tubular Product Division in West Mayfield, Beaver County, and was a member of the Order of the Owls in Rochester. Sadly, Albert passed away at the age of 64 in 1975. Edna survived her second husband by more than a quarter of a century. She attended the Belton Baptist Church, "was an avid bingo player and loved to dance," said the Beaver County Times. She died in Ellwood City Hospital at the age of 87 on Feb. 4, 2002. Her remains were placed into rest in Concord Cemetery in North Sewickley Township, Beaver County, following funeral services led by Rev. Allen Langelli. An obituary in the Times said she was survived by 16 grandchildren, 10 great-grandchildren and three great-great grandchildren.



Curtiss Wright laborer assembling a propeller -- and the product logo



Blanche and Ross Barnes, circa 1927

Daughter Blanche Elizabeth Haney (1907-1975) was born on May 2, 1907 in Uniontown. The birth was not recorded, and she did not receive an official (delayed) birth certificate until she was 58 years of age. As a girl, she enjoyed visiting for several weeks at a time in the home of her uncle and aunt, Charles and Sarah Williams in Charleroi, PA. During once such visit, when she in her mid-teens, the weather turned to thunder and lighting. Blanche promptly went outside, sat in her uncle's automobile and whistled "Pack Up Your Troubles in Your Old Kit Bag." At the age of 20, on Aug. 15, 1927, she eloped and wed 24-year-old Robert "Ross" Barnes (1903- ? ). On their marriage license application, a clerk noted that "Mother's consent by phone." The nuptials took place in Wellsburg, Brooke County, WV, by the hand of Rev. R.P. Andrews of the Methodist-Episcopal Church. Their five offspring were Robert Ross Barnes Jr., William C. Barnes, Jack M. Barnes, Janet Felo and Carole Kirschler. They initially made their residence at 360 Wayne Street in Beaver, Beaver County, PA. At Christmas 1929, Blanche sent a photo of her newborn son to her grandmother Emma Davis in Uniontown, and the grandmother wrote back, saying among other things that "I heard that Charles Johnston was dead. Long time I did not know it he was or not. You did [not] say aney thing about him. When you rite tell me." Later, by 1945, the Barneses relocated to the Crow's Run section of Freedom, New Sewickley Township, Beaver County. Blanche attended the House of Mercy Lutheran Church in Crow's Run and was a member of the Ada Dever Lodge of the Rebekahs, a sister organization to the Odd Fellows. After 34 years near Freedom, they moved to East Rochester, Beaver County, to the address 29 Landell Street. Blanche was very interested in her Rush, Williams and Haney roots, and compiled family history materials passed down to her daughter Janet which have greatly shaped this biography. She died in the Rochester Unit of the Medical Center of Beaver County on Oct. 4, 1975, at the age of 68. Following funeral services led by Rev. Raymond L. Simmons, she was laid to rest in Sylvania Hills Memorial Park Cemetery near Rochester, with an obituary printed in the Beaver County Times.

  • Robert Felo

    Granddaughter Janet Barnes married Robert John Felo (1934-2014) on April 25, 1959. He was the son of Andrew G. and Clara (Surenda) Felow and a native of Mingo Junction, OH. The Felos had two sons -- Andrew Felo and Kelly Felo. He served with the U.S. Marine Corps during the Korean War era. They resided in Economy Borough, Beaver County, PA, with Robert clearing land and building their own home using his self-education. He was employed in the Conway Yards for 43 years by the Pennsylvania, Penn Central, Conrail and Norfolk Southern Railroad lines. He also was a school police official in the 1960s and '70s at Freedom High School. Janet attended the Younkin Reunion-East in Kingwood circa 1995 and made a connection with the founder of this website. Robert died at home at the age of 79 on June 4, 2014. Interment was made in the Rehoboth Evangelical Lutheran Cemetery, following a funeral led by Pastor Susan Irons. His obituary was printed in the Beaver County Times.

  • Grandson Robert Ross Barnes Jr. resided in Freedom in 1975.
  • Grandson William C. Barnes made his home in 1975 in Freedom.
  • Grandson Jack M. Barnes relocated to Texas and in the mid-1970s dwelled in Houston.
  • Granddaughter Carole Barnes wed John Kirschler. Their residence in 1975 was Mars, Butler County, PA.



Gladys and Lester Hage

Daughter Gladys Lunette Johnston (1915-1976) was born in about 1915 in or around Uniontown. She was a girl when the family relocated to Beaver, Beaver County, PA. A 1933 graduate of Beaver High School, she was pictured in the class's Shingas yearbook, and was profiled as follows: "A more petite maiden one could not find than Gladys! She does excellent work in all her studies, especially shorthand. Every ounce of her small person goes into her activities, and she surpasses many a stronger person in the sport field. 'Opportunity knocks but once,' and we're sure Gladys will take it." She was married twice. On Oct. 28, 1934, at the age of 19, she wed her first husband Charles Ernest Fowler ( ? - ? ). They had one daughter, Donna Beverly Davies. The couple eventually divorced. By 1945, Gladys was wed to Lester Hage (1910- ? ). Lester is believed to have worked circa 1940 as a decorator in the Phoenix Glass Company factory in Monaca, Beaver County. Circa February 1945, their home was in Fort Meyers, FL, in the Guy Smith Apartments on Cleveland Avenue. That year, Gladys' brother Charles spent time in their apartment before moving on to the next phase of his life in Southern California. Gladys eventually returned to Pennsylvania and circa 1952 lived in Pittsburgh. In 1955 they are believed to have made their residence in New Brighton, Beaver County and in 1975 dwelled at 265 Wilson Avenue in Beaver. In 1976, she became ill and spent several weeks in Gateway Rehabilitation Center. Upon returning home, she suffered a fatal heart attack and was rushed to the Medical Center of Beaver County's Rochester Unit, where she died the same day. Burial was in an unmarked grave in Sylvania Hills Cemetery following funeral services led by Rev. Harvey O. Johnson. At the time, Gladys' daughter Donna resided in Hamburg, Berks County, PA and had four children of her own.

  • Donna Davies

    Granddaughter Donna Beverly Fowler (1935-1988) was born on June 15, 1935. Following graduation from New Brighton High School, she joined the military and was stationed in Virginia. There, she met and married James Arthur Davies Jr. (1937- ? ). The couple had five children -- twins Edwin William Davies and Thomas Ernest Davies, James Arthur Davies III, Lynette Grace Davies and Robert Lee Davies. They settled in Hamburg, Berks County, PA. Heartache followed this family in May 1960 when infant son James died of crib death and some years later when son Edwin was killed in a motorcycle accident. Donna and James divorced in August 1974. She passed away on Sept. 8, 1988 at the age of 53.


Charles F. Johnston

Son Charles Francis Veelie Johnston (1917-1966) was born on Jan. 6, 1917 in or near Uniontown. Having entered life with a birth defect, he only grew to four feet, five inches in height, and in the language of the times was considered a "dwarf" or "midget." He resided with his mother in Beaver and was artistically inclined. A 1937 graduate of Beaver High School, he served as the art director of the class's Shingas yearbook (with an original copy preserved in the Minerd.com Archives). His yearbook profile read: "'Chuck' is one of our quieter, beloved members here at B.H.S. He doesn't talk much, but when he does, he makes the most of it. As an artist he just can't be outdone. We'll all miss him when he graduates, and we wish him the best of luck in his future life." At one point he went to work for Phoenix Glass Company in Monaca, Beaver County, where he produced decorative etchings on industrial glassware products. In the late 1930s, aspiring for more, he exchanged at least three letters with famed painter Normal Rockwell, who in turn gave Charles advise on pursuing an art education and career. He eventually worked as an engraver for Pannier Stamp and Die Company in Pittsburgh. He attended the Art Institute of Pittsburgh and graduated in December 1941, drawing raves in a referral letter sent by school director Willis Shook. During World War II, at the age of 25, Charles completed a welding class with Dravo Corporation and was featured in the Feb. 26, 1943 edition of its Dravo Slant magazine. The article noted that he was the "smallest pupil yet on record" and that his welding school instructors "found him a very apt student -- one of the best -- and they believe that his previous work and training as an artist will aid him in becoming an  equally fine welder." He is believed to have married Viola Bidwell ( ? - ? ) as he wrote to his mother in November 1943. Family lore states that Violet died in childbirth in Los Angeles, but this needs to be confirmed. In February 1945, now a widower, he spent time with his married sister Gladys Hage in Fort Meyers, FL and wrote a note to his sister Blanche Barnes: 

No much doing down here. Just taking it easy and seeing the doc twice a week. We're having wonderful weather. We were down swimming in the Gulf stream last Sun. Have been offered a job over at the Army Gunnery at Buckingham Field but since it's Civil Service I'm afraid to take it for fear they'll freeze me since that new labor law went through Congress. Give my love to the kiddies and keep bundled up.

Charles later relocated in about 1945 to Southern California, where he obtained work as an engraver for a Los Angeles jewelry company. In the spring of 1966, he could only make money selling newspapers at the corner of 54th and Crenshaw Boulevard. Fond of drowning his sorrows in alcohol, on the night of May 7, 1966, he made his way to the Sneak Inn Bar on South Crenshaw Boulevard. There, while sitting on a bar stool, he suffered a massive heart attack and collapsed. He was rushed to Morningside Hospital where he died later that night. His remains were returned to Pennsylvania for burial in Sylvania Hills Cemetery in Beaver County. Los Angeles police chief W.H. Parker sent a detailed letter to Charles' sister Blanche describing the events of the fateful evening and indicating no intention of pursuing "further action."

Charles' photo in the Dravo Slant - his "Friends" poem - and a self-portrait painted in a valentine card sent to his sister.


Osie Williams, 1944

~ Daughter Osceola "Osie" (Williams) Williams ~

Daughter Osceola "Osie" Williams (1879-1956) was born on Aug. 21, 1879. 

Osie married Walter Williams (1875- ? ) of Ohio, who was not related and whose parents were emigrants from England.

They produced two sons -- Ralph Williams Sr. and Paul M. Williams.

The family established their home in Cleveland, Cuyahoga County, OH in the era 1905 through the 1940s.


Osie with sons Paul and Ralph (right)

When the federal census was enumerated in 1920, their home was at 9210 Birchdale Avenue in Cleveland, with Walter working as the owner of a meat market. That year, their 35-year-old unmarried nephew Bearl Williams lived under their roof.

They remained on Birchdale during the decades of the 1920s and '30s as shown on the 1930 and 1940 censuses. By 1930, Walter was employed as a "city salesman" in Cleveland dealing in fruit, and in 1940, he worked as a landscaper and guard at the "Cooley Farm" in Cleveland. During those years, their nephew Bearl remained in their household, working as an armature winder in a steel mill.

The Grim Reaper of death visited the family in the early summer of 1941. Walter, who had suffered from chronic cardiac disease, was at work when he was felled by a heart attack at the age of 65, in Warrensville, Cuyahoga County. He was placed into eternal repose in a cemetery in Tallmadge, Summit County, OH. Son Paul signed his official certificate of death. 


"Andy" Williams and sons

As a widow, Osie survived for another 15 years. In 1952, her residence was in Huntington, Long Island, NY and later in the 1950s in Middletown, NJ, living near her son Ralph Jr.

Osie enjoyed returning to Uniontown and was a "frequent guest of Uniontown friends," reported the Uniontown Morning Herald. She is known to have attended a Williams family reunion in Uniontown in September 1940. In fact, during the last summer of her life (1956), she visited the city once more.

Osie died on Sept. 18, 1956, at the age of 83, in Middletown, NJ. Her remains were transported to Tallmadge, OH for interment beside her husband in the family plot of graves, said the Morning Herald.

Son Ralph Williams Sr. (1905- ? ) was born in about 1905 in Cleveland. He married "Andy" (?) and had two sons, one of whom was Ralph Williams Jr., born in 1930. On the back of the snapshot photograph here, Andy wrote that the image was taken on July 1, 1934 and that it was the boys' "first romper." They lived in Middletown, NJ in 1956. Nothing more about this family is known.

Son Paul M. Williams (1910- ? ) was born in about 1910 in Cleveland. He lived at 848 Beverly Road in 1941 and resided in 1956 in Racine, WI.

James Arthur Williams

~ Son James "Arthur" Williams ~

Son James "Arthur" Williams (1882-1960) was born on Jan. 10, 1882. 

At the age of 21, on Aug. 5, 1903, he wed 17-year-old Mary C. Coughanour (1886- ? ), daughter of John W. and Annie L. Coughanour. At the time of marriage, he was employed as an engineer and she as a milliner. E. Judson Headley officiated at their wedding.

Arthur and Mary had five children -- Raymond Williams, Dorothy Margery Hoone, Virginia Wilson, Ocie Morris and Arabelle Stahl. 

Arthur apparently later married Julia (Marker) Rockwell (1882-1962), daughter of Ellis B. and Mary Ann (Bivins) Marker of Bethelboro, PA. She had been married once before, and brought five children to the second marriage including Azalea Raymond, Hunter H. Rockwell, Clarence Rockwell, Robert Rockwell and Mary Martin.

They made their home in Uniontown, at 194 Downer Avenue. Arthur was a longtime employee of the H.C. Frick Coke Company, and retired from the company.

Arthur was the keeper of family history knowledge. At one point he wrote to his sister Lulu spelling out details of who was who in their lineage. Among the names: "Mrs. Collins, Aunt Alice's daughter, who lives on John St.; Mrs. Mitchell at Brownfield where Aunt Alice stays - Aunt Alice said her mother's name was Syvilla (Younkin maiden name) Rush - G'father's name John K. Rush. Yell Mitts now Yell Yowler. Her G.mother's name was Rebecca (Kildown) Williams - G.father James H. Williams."


Frick coke ovens in Uniontown

In retirement, he belonged to the Golden Age Club. Julia was a Past Noble Grand of the Rebekah Lodge of the Odd Fellows and a member of the Asbury Methodist Church.

Arthur and his siblings Ina and Ewing attended the funeral of their sister Osie Williams in Alliance, OH in 1956. In the return drive home, they conversed about their fates in life. As sister Ina recalled later: "I said well this just now leaves just the three of us and I said so now Artie it leaves you and I running the race, Artie said just don't you run to fast -- I sure would hate to have him go before me, he and I had become pretty close to one another."

During his final years, Arthur went to live in the Cecelia Cribbs Nursing Home in Black Lick, Burrell Township, Indiana County, PA. For the last six months of life, he was bedridden with severe arthritis.

Stricken with a pulmonary embolism, Arthur died on Dec. 12, 1960, at the age of 78. In an obituary, the Uniontown Morning Herald reported that he was survived by 12 grandchildren and 13 great-grandchildren. His remains were returned to Uniontown for interment in Oak Grove Cemetery, following a funeral led by Rev. Dr. Earl F. Confer and Rev. J. Sheldon Spangler.

Julia joined her husband in death two years later, on Oct. 10, 1962. Her son Hunter Rockwell of Uniontown was the informant for her death certificate. She was laid to rest in Sylvan Heights Cemetery in Uniontown. The Morning Herald carried a death notice.

Son Arthur "Raymond" Williams (1921-1972) was born in about 1921 in Uniontown. He married Mildred Jubin ( ? - ? ) and lived on Barton Mill Road in Uniontown. They had four children, among them Dale Williams, James G. Williams, Marjorie Duranko and Leslie Keller. The family were members of the Central Christian Church. Raymond died at the age of 61, in Uniontown Hospital, on Feb. 5, 1972. An obituary in the Uniontown Morning Herald said that his survivors included nine grandchildren. Burial was in Oak Grove Cemetery, officiated by Dr. Earl P. Confer.

  • Grandson Dale Williams was married and lived in Hopwood, Fayette County. His children were Shawn Williams and Christopher Williams.
  • Granddaughter Marjorie Williams married Frank Duranko and lived in Rockville, MD. Their children wee Frank Duranko Jr., Cindy Duranko, Joe Duranko and Susan Duranko.
  • Grandson James G. Williams lived in Uniontown. He and his wife had four children -- David Williams, Lori Williams, Jeffrey Williams and Lawrence Williams.


Central Christian Church

Daughter Dorothy Margery Williams (1908-2000) was born on March 30, 1908. On Nov. 12, 1926, when she was age 18, she married 21-year-old Joseph Walton Hoone (1905-1980), son of Joseph R. Hoone of Smithfield, Fayette County. Although they lived in Uniontown at the time of marriage, they drove to New Brighton, Beaver County PA so that the nuptials could be performed by their former pastor, Rev. G.M. Riley. They immediately established a home in Greensburg, Westmoreland County, PA. By 1975, she lived in Greensboro, Greene County, PA. That year, she hosted an annual Williams-Coughenour family reunion, held at Mon View Park in Greensboro. Many of her nephews and nieces attended, with the event receiving coverage in the Uniontown Morning Herald (Aug. 13, 1975). Sadly, Joseph died in February 1980 at the age of 75. Dorothy survived him by two decades and spent her final years in Greensburg, Westmoreland County, PA. She died there on Oct. 24, 2000.

Daughter Virginia Williams wed William Wilson and dwelled in Greensburg. 

Daughter Ocie Williams married Carl Morris (1914-1972), son of Nellie Morris. They lived in Uniontown, at 84 Highland Avenue, and were members of the Central Christian Church. Carl enjoyed competing on the church's dartball team. The couple had two children -- Leah Rae Salutric and K. Robert Morris. Carl passed away in Uniontown Hospital on Aug. 15, 1972. Burial was in Oak Grove Cemetery in Uniontown following funeral services preached by Dr. Earl P. Confer. An obituary was published in the Uniontown Morning Herald.

  • Granddaughter Leah Rae Morris married Carl Salutric, son of Michael Salutric of Cleveland, OH. They produced these children -- Becky Salutric and Ronald Salutric. They lived in Garfield Heights, OH in 1972 and by 1975 were back in Uniontown.
  • Grandson K. Robert Morris dwelled in Uniontown. He married Carol Kolat, daughter of Andrew Kolat of Uniontown. The couple had daughters Wende Williams and Kelly Williams.

Daughter Arabelle Williams wed G.E. Stahl and called Greensburg home.

Ina Lee Christner

~ Daughter Ina Lee (Williams) Christner ~

Daughter Ina Lee (Williams) Christner (1884-1965) was born on March 27, 1884. 


Ina Lee Christner

On Sept. 11, 1907, at the age of 23, she married 26-year-old Clarence H. Christner (1881- ? ), the son of Amos and Samantha Christner of Uniontown. E. Judson Headley performed the nuptials in Uniontown. 

They had one daughter, Dorothy Jean Lawrence. 

Born in Westmoreland County, PA, Clarence was employed as an electrical engineer at the time of marriage. Initially, the couple lived on Coolspring Street in Uniontown. In 1914, they made their home in Charleroi, Washington County, PA. The federal census of 1920 shows the family on South Avenue in Wilkinsburg, Allegheny County, with Clarence employed as an electrician with a railroad. 

Clarence's fate is not known.

Later, possibly separated from her husband, she relocated to 505 Third Street in Beaver, Beaver County, PA and was there in 1934 when she announced the upcoming wedding of her daughter. Circa 1952, her home was in Vanport, Beaver County. 

For Halloween 1942, Ina helped her married daughter Dorothy host a party for Dorothy's daughter Mildred, and the Beaver Daily Times noted that "The early part of the evening was spent playing games and 'bobbing' for apples. The home was suitably decorated with corn stalks, pumpkins, and colored leaves." 

Ina's address in 1958 was 202 North Walnut Street in New Castle, Lawrence County, PA. That year, on July 17, 1958, she wrote to her niece Blanche Barnes and said: 

I will write you again and perhaps the last time, especially from N. Castle, as we expect to leave this burg some day next week. We are going to strike out for Florida., no doubt never to return (especially me) one never knows - Mildred Lee thinks there is a furnished apt. she can get for us.... Mildred Lee wants us down there and we are home sick to see her. She seems to love it there but as for me I am not to keen on going so far from all my old friends and speaking of old you know I am not as young as I used to be.

Ina and Mildred Lee landed in Fort Lauderdale, and lived there for a time before returning to Beaver County. They then rented an apartment in New Brighton but were left homeless when it burned. They found a new home in Beaver Falls. In August 1960, Ina came to Uniontown to visit her widowed sister in law Julia Williams. A party was thrown in her honor, and included guests Ina Williams Johnson, Mrs. J.C. Wilson, Edna and Clara Collins, and Belle and Harriet Inks, with the news printed in the society column of the Uniontown Morning Herald. She returned again in 1963 for a visit with Florence Wilson on Uniontown's Collins Avenue. 


L-R: Blanche Barnes, Ina Christner, Nellie Ulhman, Dorothy Jean Lawrence

While crossing the street in New Brighton one day, she fell and broke her hip. Unable to recover, she died at the age of 81 on Sept. 6, 1965 in Beaver Valley Hospital in New Brighton. Funeral services were held in New Brighton, and a short obituary was printed in the Morning Herald. Her remains were placed at rest in an unmarked grave in Sylvania Hills Cemetery.

Daughter Dorothy Jean Christner (1915- ? ) was born in about 1915. At the age of 19, on June 4, 1934, she married Perl S. Lawrence ( ? - ? ). They had a daughter, Mildred Lee "Millie" Wheale Cirello. Circa 1986, Dorothy Jean resided in Beaver Falls, Beaver County, PA. In a note to her cousin Janet (Barnes) Felo, daughter Millie wrote: "Seems we never get together anymore. Mom is still with me." 

  • Granddaughter Mildred Lee "Millie" Lawrence married (?) Wheale. They produced a son. After a divorce, she married again to Joseph Cirello and moved to St. Petersburg, FL. The Cirellos had a son of their own and Mille helped raise Joseph's son, Michael Cirello.

John Andrew Williams, 1939

~ Son John Andrew Williams ~

Son John Andrew Williams (1886-1955) was born on March 10, 1886 in North Union Township near Uniontown.

At the age of 20, on Oct. 10, 1906, John married 20-year-old Mary Amanda Robinson (1886-1968), daughter of James M. and Sarah A. "Sally" Robinson of Uniontown. Rev. John J. Hill officiated at the ceremony held in the city.

The couple had five known children: Jack C. Williams, William F. Williams, Anna Lee, Betty Farrell and Robert Edward Williams. 

John was "a well known local barber" who was "in business for over fifty years," said the Uniontown Morning Herald. He also was a member of the Great Bethel Baptist Church, Uniontown lodge of the Elks Club and the American Federation of Labor Barbers Union. 

They made their residence on Grant Street and later at 75 Murray Avenue in Uniontown.


Uniontown Morning
Herald, 1955


In the late summer of 1923, John and Mary and family took a driving trip to Cleveland to visit his sister Osie Williams, a gossip tidbit reported in the Uniontown Morning Herald. While on the excursion they also made stops in Buffalo and Niagara Falls, NY. 

In October 1952, he is believed to have traveled with his son Jack to Hollywood, CA to visit his son Robert Williams and to attend the Teamsters Union convention. Tragically, son Robert died in Los Angeles just three months later, in January 1953.

He was stricken with a blood clot in the brain and passed away in Uniontown Hospital at the age of 69 on Feb. 5, 1955. Funeral services were led by Rev. John A. Mueller, and burial was in Oak Lawn Cemetery. His pallbearers included George Hutchinson, Robert Morrow, Amyal Canton, David Beeson, Cooper Byers and Walter King. The Morning Herald published an obituary which included John's photograph. 

Mary survived her husband by nearly 13 years in her home at 74 Union Street in Uniontown. During that time she was a member of the Asbury Methodist Church. She died in Uniontown Hospital at the age of 88 on Jan. 16, 1968. An obituary in the Morning Herald noted that she "was the mother of Mrs. Betty Farrell, who is employed in the business office of Uniontown Newspapers."

Son Jack C. Williams ( ? - ? ) made his home in Uniontown in 1955 and in Morgantown, Monongalia County, WV in 1968. He eventually relocated to New Mexico and resided in Albuquerque circa 1974.

Son William F. "Bill" Williams ( ? -1974) was born in Uniontown. He married Geraldine "Jerry" Jacak and had one daughter, Jackie Ann Delozier. He lived in Uniontown circa 1955-1968 and was a member of the local lodge of the Elks Club. Later, he relocated to Alexandria, VA, where he was employed as manager of the Bragg Towers Apartments. He died in Northern Virginia Doctors Hospital in Arlington on Feb. 19, 1974. His remains are thought to have been returned to Uniontown for interment.



Sisters Betty Farrell and Anna Lee

Daughter Anna Williams married Kenneth E. Lee. Her home in 1955 was in Jamaica, New York City and in 1968 in Baldwin, NY.

Daughter Betty Williams graduated from Drake Business College in New York City. She wed Fred Byron Farrell (1916-1954), the son of Charles and Sarah (McCarty) Farrell of Vestaburg/Nemacolin, Greene County, PA. The ceremony took place at the Epworth Methodist Church in Norfolk, VA on March 21, 1942. Before the war, Fred worked as cashier for Sherwin-Williams Paint Co., and during World War II served in the Naval Reserves, while Betty worked with the United States Employment Service. They had one known daughter, Rebecca "Becky" Osleger. In 1952, they dwelled in Fairmont, Marion County, WV, and the following year Fred at age 37 was a student at West Virginia University. Tragedy shook the family in September 1954 when Fred, who suffered from congenital aneurysms, was stricken with a hemorrhage and was rushed to St. Francis Hospital in Pittsburgh. He lingered for a month but, unable to recover, died on May 19, 1954. Burial was in Greene County Memorial Park in Waynesburg, PA. Betty returned as a widow to Uniontown and resided over the years on Clarendon Street and Union Street. She obtained work as a bookkeeper in the business office office Uniontown Newspapers Inc. 


  • Granddaughter Rebecca "Becky" Farrell obtained a journalism degree from West Virginia University in 1974. She married Kenneth Osleger, son of William K. Osleger of Monongahela, PA. In 1975, the couple made their home in Louisville, KY.

Son Robert Edward Williams (1909-1953) was born on Feb. 19, 1909. He married Martha (?) and relocated to North Hollywood, Los Angeles County, CA where he resided in the early 1950s. They are not thought to have reproduced. Sadly, he died at home on Jan. 10, 1953, at the age of 43. In an obituary, the Morning Herald noted that his death had occurred "suddenly." His remains were returned to Uniontown for funeral services led by Rev. John A. Mueller of the Great Bethel Baptist Church, followed by burial in Oak Lawn Cemetery.

Charles H. Williams

~ Son Charles Harold Williams ~

Son Charles Harold Williams (1888-1947) was born on April 17, 1888 in Uniontown, Fayette County.

He married Sarah Smiley (1886-1936) on April 28, 1909, when he was 21 years of age and she 23. She was the daughter of Lot and Susan (Campbell) Smiley.

They had four known children -- Nellie Uhlman Bower, Marjorie Jones Nosidlak, Ina Dawson and Harold Williams. 

The Williamses lived in Uniontown before relocating by 1920 to Charleroi, Fallowfield Township, Washington County, PA. Charles was a telephone lineman and electrician and was employed for 37 years by West Penn Power Company, as was his ill-fated brother in law, Milton Melvin Haney. When the federal census was enumerated in 1930, the family lived on Washington Avenue in Charleroi, with their newlywed daughter and son in law under their roof.


Charleroi Mail, 1936

Unbeknownst to the Williamses, a distant cousin and family historian also made his home in Charleroi at the time, Charles Arthur Younkin. From 1934 to 1941, he helped organize the Younkin National Home-coming Reunion in Somerset County and published eight issues of the Younkin Family News Bulletin newspaper.

Tragedy befell the family on June 15, 1936. While in the basement of their home, washing clothes, Sarah was terribly scalded "when a boiler of hot water tilted and spilled over her," reported the Charleroi Mail. Determined to stay at home to nurse her injury, Sarah was treated by local physicians for several months. But in early September, complications set in, and she was admitted to St. Francis Hospital in Pittsburgh for more specialized care.

While an in-patient in St. Francis, the 50-year-old Sarah took a turn for the worse. She died suddenly of acute respiratory failure on Oct. 14, 1936, four months after her injury. Her remains were returned to Charleroi for Interment was in Maple Creek Cemetery. Said the Mail, "Her death was unexpected and was a shock to relatives and the entire neighborhood." The obituary noted that in addition to her husband and children, she was survived by "three grandchildren and one sister, Mrs. Thomas Underwood, of Cambridge, Ohio."

Charles outlived his wife by 11 years and made his residence at 310 Fallowfield Avenue in Charleroi.

Sadly, following an acute heart attack, for which he was treated in a Pittsburgh hospital, Charles died at the age of 59 on Nov. 19, 1947. Arrangements were handled by the Lawrence Frey Funeral Home of Charleroi. He reposes with his wife at Maple Creek Cemetery.


Rooftops of industrial Charleroi, hard by the Monongahela River


Nellie Uhlman Bower

Circa 1947, at the time of their father's death, daughter Nellie Uhlman lived in Charleroi; daughter Marjorie Jones in Smithton; daughter Ina Dawson in Detroit; and son Harold in Huntington Park, CA.


Freddie Uhlman

Daughter Nellie Williams (1910- ? ) was born in about 1910. She was close with her cousins and enjoyed having fun during their visits for a few weeks at a time. Late in life she fondly recalled the times when she spent several weeks at the home of her aunt Lulu Barnes Johnston. At the age of 20, on March 12, 1930, in Pittsburgh, Nellie wed Fred P. Uhlman Sr. (1909-1981), son of John and Annie (Patterson) Uhlman. They had one known son, Fred B. Uhlman Jr. When first married, the newlyweds lived under the roof of Nellie's parents in Charleroi, with Fred working as a laborer in a steel mill. By 1940, they had moved to Lookout Avenue in Charleroi, with Fred continuing to be employed as a "first helper" in a steel works. Later, after a divorce, Nellie wed Russell Bower ( ? - ? ). She lived at Lock No. 4 Branch in Charleroi in the 1940s. Eventually she relocated to Camp Hill near Harrisburg, Dauphin County, PA. She enjoyed following the career of her son as a scout in Major League Baseball and often spent weeks visiting his home in Denver. In 1976, writing to her cousin Janet (Barnes) Felo to offer condolences on the death of Janet's mother, she wrote: "Be thankful to God that she is with him rather than suffering on this old wicked earth." Her ex-husband married Loma D. McCusker and died in Washington, PA on April 10, 1981, with burial in Monongahela Cemetery.

  • Grandson Fred B. "Freddie" Uhlman Jr. (1931- ? ) was born in about 1931. He resided in Denver in 1975 where he was a supervising scout for the Cincinnati Reds of Major League Baseball, following players in the western United States and Mexico. Later, he was named director of scouting with the Baltimore Orioles. During his career with the Orioles organization, he signed players such as Gregg Olson, David Segui, Steve Finley and Arthur Rhodes. In 2011, he and Grover "Deacon" Jones received the Professional Baseball Scouts Foundation's "Legends in Scouting Award" for meritorious service. Their son Fred Uhlman III (known in professional circles as "Jr.") was raised in Georgetown, TX and today is vice president and assistant general manager of the San Diego Padres.


Fred Uhlman pictured in the 1976 yearbook of the Cincinnati Reds, the year they beat the New York Yankees to win the World Series.


Marjorie Jones

Brewery promotion

Daughter Marjorie Williams (1910-1978) was born on Sept. 3, 1910 and was named for her grandmother Williams. At the age of 20, in 1930, she and her sister Ina lived at home and both worked as inspectors in a Charleroi glass house. Marjorie wed Paul L. Jones (1910-1959), a native of Smithton, Westmoreland County and the son of Welsh immigrant and brewery founder William B. "Stoney" and Louise "Lulu" (Dorman) Jones Sr. They had one known daughter, Shirley Jones. Originally known as Eureka Beer, the Jones Brewing Company produced the label Stoney's Beer which continues today. The Joneses first lived in Charleroi, and then moved to Smithton, Fayette County, where the brewery was located, and where Paul and his brothers ran the business after their father's death. Paul served as president for seven years, from 1952 up to the time of his death. The Williamses later moved closer to Pittsburgh, settling at 4268 Clubvue Drive in the Whitehall section of the South Hills.

Suffering from lung cancer, Paul underwent surgery at Allegheny General Hospital in Pittsburgh in mid-January 1959. He did not recover and passed away on Jan. 16, 1959, at the age of 48. A front-page article in the Uniontown Evening Standard reported that his daughter learned of the death when in Miami with her husband Jack Cassidy, who had just "opened with a hotel night club act." Interment was in West Newton Cemetery. In 1952, Marjorie received word through the rumor mill that her aunt Lulu Johnston had died. She sent a sharp note to her cousin Blanche Barnes, Lulu's daughter, expressing her displeasure that she had not been informed directly about the death of "an aunt as close as your mother was to us...." After Paul's death, Marjorie moved to Pittsburgh. She later married her second husband, Edwin Nosidlak (1911-1977), son of Polish immigrants Valentine and Aniela Nosidlak of Pittsburgh. Edwin had spent his career in the building construction industry. Marjorie and Edwin relocated to Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, FL, where they spent the remainder of their lives together. Sadly, she became a widow again in September 1977 when Ed died in Fort Lauderdale. His death was mentioned briefly in columnist George Anderson's "The Triangle Tattler" in the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. Marjorie passed away seven months later, in April 1978, in Broward County, at the age of 68.


    Shirley and 1st husband Jack Cassidy

    Granddaughter Shirley Jones was born on March 31, 1934 in Charleroi and grew up in Smithton. The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette once said that she was raised in a 14-room house "on the corner of Smithton and Second streets, surrounded by cousins and doted on by her parents." She attended South Huntingdon Township High School, where she was a majorette. She won the title of "Miss Pittsburgh" in the Miss America competition, and performed at the Pittsburgh Playhouse and Pittsburgh Civic Light Opera. She went on to star in major motion pictures such as Oklahoma!, The Music Man, Carousel and Elmer Gantry, among many others, and on the hit television series of the early 1970s, The Partridge Family, and in the Drew Carey Show in the late 1990s and early 2000s, among many other shows. She captured an Academy Award for her Elmer Gantry portrayal of a prostitute. She was married twice, first to Jack Cassidy (1927-1976), son of William and Charlotte (Koehler) Cassidy, who brought a son David to the marriage. They went on to have three sons of their own -- Shaun Paul Cassidy, Patrick Cassidy and Ryan Cassidy. Tragically, Jack was killed in an apartment fire on Dec. 11, 1976, at the age of 49, allegedly caused by a burning cigarette while he was sleeping on a sofa. Later, in 1977, she wed Marty Ingels (March 9, 1936-2015), a longtime actor, writr, agent and comedian. She and Marty co-authored a book in 1990 about their life together, entitled Shirley & Marty: An Unlikely Love Story. In 2013, she wrote a tell-all autobiography, Shirley Jones: A Memoir.In 2000, she was bestowed with the "History Maker" award of the Historical Society of Western Pennsylvania/Heinz History Center. Sadly, Marty passed away in Providence Cedars-Sinai Tarzana Medical Center in Los Angeles on Oct. 21, 2015.

    Step-great-grandson son David Bruce Cassidy (1950-2017) was born on April 12, 1950. He spent his career in show business and in the 1970s starred with Shirley as "Keith Partridge" in the Friday night television show The Partridge Family. He spent the balance of his career as a singer-songwriter. He was thrice-wed, to Kay Lenz, Meryl Tanz and Sue Shifrin. Following liver and kidney failure, he passed away on Nov. 21,2017.

    Great-grandson Shaun Paul Cassidy (1958-living) was born in 1958. He has been an actor, singer and television producer. He may best be known for co-starring with Parker Stevenson in the hit 1970s television series The Hardy Boys Mysteries and the soap opera General Hospital. He has been wed three times. His first wife was Ann Pennington. They are the parents of Caitlin Cassidy and Jake Cassidy. His second bride was Susan Diol. Together they bore a daughter, Juliet Cassidy. Susan has been a television actress known for her role in the Seinfeld episide "The Nose Job." Patrick and Susan divorced in 2003. Patrick again was wed to Tracey Lynne Turner. The couple's four offspring are Caleb Cassidy, Roan Cassidy, Lila Cassidy and Mairin Cassidy.

    Great-grandson Patrick Cassidy (1962-living) was born in 1962. He also is known for his performances on television, movies and the stage. He entered into the bonds of marriage with Melissa Hurley. Two sons born into this union are Cole Patrick Cassidy and Jack Gordon Cassidy.

    Great-grandson Ryan Cassidy (1966-living) was born in 1966.  

Shirley Jones in 3 of her starring roles, l-r: with Robert Preston in The Music Man; with Henry Fonda and James Stewart in The Cheyenne Social Club; and with stepson David Cassidy in TV's The Partridge Family

Harold Williams, 1920s


Daughter Ina Williams (1913 - ? ) was  born in about 1913. She married Gerald Dawson Sr. (1911-1972). He was the son of William and Olive (Baldwin) Dawson of West Brownsville, Washington County. They resided on Monessen's Sixth Street circa 1940, where Gerald was employed as a warehouse man for a wholesale grocer. Ina is named in the autobiography of her niece, Shirley Jones, and is credited with helping to encourage her talented niece to develop her singing talents at a young age. Later, the Dawsons relocated to Detroit, where Gerald worked in Hudson's Department Store as a clerk, and where Ina was employed for more than 18 years with Sachs Fifth Avenue. They had one son, Gerald Dawson Jr., and made their home at 15505 Burgess Avenue in Detroit. After suffering from a long battle with colon cancer, Gerald Sr. died in Detroit Osteopathic Hospital in Highland Park, MI, at the age of 60, on Jan. 5, 1972. His remains were returned to Fayette City for interment, reported the Valley Independent of Monessen.

  • Grandson Gerald Dawson (1936- ? ) was born in about 1936 in Charleroi.

Son Harold Williams (1915- ? ) was born in about 1915. Circa 1947, he resided in Huntington Park, CA. Nothing more is known.

Ewing Williams

~ Son Alexander "Ewing" Williams ~

Son Alexander "Ewing" Williams (1894-1962) was born on Nov. 24, 1894 (or 1895). 

At the age of 21, Ewing lived in Uniontown, where he was employed as a lineman for the local electric company, probably West Penn Power. 

On Jan. 14, 1916, when he was 21 years of age, he wed 21-year-old Sarah Ellen McKnight (1894- ? ) of Hopwood, Fayette County. The ceremony was performed by Rev. Charles Schall at the manse of the First Presbyterian Church of Greensburg, Westmoreland County, PA. 

They had two children -- Donald Williams and Glenn Williams. The couple later divorced. 

Following his work as an electrical lineman, Ewing pursued a much different line of work as a beautician. 

Ewing married again to Ruth B. (?). They lived in Ohio in 1947 and circa 1952-1960 was in Alliance, Stark County, Ohio. Their home was located at 331 South Arch Street.

Tragically, he was assaulted brutally and suffered a blunt-force impact to the head in November 1962, causing a hemorrhaging in the brain. The assailant apparently never was identified, and family feared he had been mugged. He was rushed to Cleveland  Clinic, where he lingered for 22 days. He finally succumbed at the age of 67 on Dec. 14, 1962. Burial was in Alliance City Cemetery.


Copyright 2013-2019, 2022, 2024 Mark A. Miner

Research for this page graciously shared by Olive (Rowan) Duff, Donna (Younkin) Logan and Janet (Barnes) Felo. Curtiss Wright images courtesy of the Beaver Area Heritage Museum. Shirley Jones movie and TV images courtesy of Universal City Studios, Inc., 1978.