Rebecca A. (Emerick) Knieriem was born in December 1843 in Somerset County, PA, the daughter of Jonathan and Rachel (Sturtz) Emerick Sr.
At the age of 18 in 1861, Rebecca married German immigrant Peter D. Knieriem (1836-1916), of unknown parentage. He was a native of Hesse Cassel or Prussia (sources differ). Aboard the ship Johannes, he came to the United States in 1855 at the age of 16, arriving in Baltimore, declaring himself a coal miner and his destination as Frostburg, MD.
In 1860, the unmarried Peter at age 21 boarded in the home of his future wife's uncle and aunt, Jacob and Eliza Emerick in Southampton and worked as a farm laborer. They were longtime farmers and dwelled in Wellersburg, Somerset County. Neither was able to read or write.
Their nine known children were Rachel Miller, Annie C. Neubeiser, Mary E. "Laura" Bradour, Margaret Alice "Maggie" Witt, Clara M. Knieriem, Lottie R. Knieriem, Eva Jeannette "Nettie" Boger, John P. Knieriem and Louis C. Knieriem.
In 1880, census records show Peter, Rebecca and their six daughters in the household along with servant Benjamin Huff. Considered to be widely respected in the community, Peter was a member of the Odd Fellows of Meyersdale, Somerset County, for 47 years. They family also was affiliated with the Reformed Church.
Rebecca was named in the 1913 Meyersdale Republican obituary of her brother Nathan as living in Wellersburg.
The couple endured the untimely deaths of their eldest married daughters, Mrs. Louis Neubeiser and Rachel Miller.
Stricken with cancer on the side of his face at age 79, Peter succumbed in Wellersburg on March 7, 1916. His remains were placed into rest in Cook's Cemetery in the American soil to which he had come some 61 years earlier. His nephews Henry Knieriem of New York City and Henry Rinker of New Jersey traveled to attend the funeral, held in the Reformed Church. The Meyersdale Republican said that Peter's funeral service "was the largest ever held in Wellersburg... The children were all present."
Rebecca survived him by 17 years, and endured the heartache of her daughter's mental illness and eventual death in the county home. At the age of 89, Rebecca suffered a stroke and died on Sept. 15, 1932. Interment was in Cook Cemetery in Wellersburg, following funeral services held in the Wellersburg Reformed Church, conducted by his lodge of the Odd Fellows.. Her daughter Laura, living in Cumberland, MD, signed the death certificate, and a short obituary was printed in the Meyersdale Republican. [Find-a-Grave]
~ Daughter Rachel (Knieriem) Miller ~
Daughter Rachel Knieriem (1862- ? ) was born in about 1862.
She was joined in wedlock with Jacob "Jake" Miller ( ? - ? ).
Sadly, Rachel was deceased by 1916.
~ Daughter Annie C. (Knieriem) Neubeiser ~
Daughter Annie C. Knieriem (1864- ? ) was born in September 1864.
When she was about 18 years of age, circa 1882, Annie was united in the bonds of holy matrimony with Louis Neubiser (Nov. 1854- ? ), originally spelled "Neubeiser." He was an immigrant from Germany, having arrived in 1867 and become a citizen of the United States. Louis' uncle Henry Maihn, a butcher, also came to America as a young man, making himself well known in Cumberland, MD.
The brood of offspring they bore together included Hazel Neubeiser, Louis Daniel Neubeiser, Harry Neubeiser, Will Neubeiser, Margaret Neubeiser and Marie Neubeiser. Another died young.
When the federal census enumeration was made in 1900, the Neubisers dwelled in Cumberland. At that time, Louis earned a living as a butcher. He and his son William were partners in a business known as L. Neubeiser & Son. The firm was located at the old market house in Cumberland, which was torn down to become the site of City Hall.
The family was blanketed in brief when Annie died in the early 1900s.
After a period of mourning, Louis wedded a second time in September 1905 to Bertha Coleman ( ? - ? ). The second marriage resulted in a daughter, Louvisa E. Neubeiser.
Their business came into the light of controversy in May 1909 regarding meat sales to Sheriff Hodel for consumption by prisoners. The sheriff was indicated for falsely swearing statements about his food purchases, and that his family, not the inmates, got to enjoy the food. Said the Cumberland Evening Times, "Sheriff Hodel's accounts show that during the above dates that he purchased $26.36 worth of boiling beef from Louis Neubeiser and son, when in reality the amount included sausage, veal, pudding, eggs, chickens, lard, steak, ham, etc." At the same time, the partnership was "dissolved by mutual agreement," reported the Evening Times, with the father "authorized to collect all moneys due the partnershiop and has assumed at the same time all debts owed by the partnership."
Later in 1909, in July, Louis advertised in the Evening Times that he was a candidate for sheriff, "subject to the decision of the Democratic primaries. I have always supported and upheld Democratic principles, never sought public office or emolument, but have always been a hard worker for party success. I have been in business here for forty years and will allow my character to stand for itself with my fellow citizens."
Their home in 1910 was in Cumberland, with Louis continuing his butchering working alongside sons Louis and Harry. Son William later took over the business, which his father had operated for 56 years.
Son William J. "Will" Neubiser (1883- ? ), originally spelled "Neubeiser," was born in Sept. 1883. When he was age 21, he was united in wedlock with Mary C. (1886- ? ). They were the parents of Joseph R. Neubeiser and Mary L. Neubeiser. In 1913, as owner of the family butchering business, he brought in a new partner, his wife's brother Louis A. Lippold. Their firm continued under the name of Neubiser and Lippold for decades, at 173 North Mechanic Street. During World War II, with widespread rations in place, the doors were closed, "at least for the duration of the war -- as Cumberland tightened its belt another notch and prepared for more meatless days," said the Cumberland News. The partners "went out of business 'because of present conditions' according to the owners, who have been unable to buy and slaughter cattle from farms in this area on a scale sufficient to meet the requirements of customers... One item of the store that had a widespread reputation was the home-made bologna, and many Cumberland residents who move from the city always 'make a bee line' to the store when they returned on visits to get a taste of the delicacy."
Daughter Hazel R. Neubeiser (1887- ? ) was born in Jan. 1887.
Daughter Margaret Neubeiser (1888- ? ) was born in Sept. 1888.
Son Louis Daniel Neubiser (1890- ? ) -- originally spelled "Neubeiser" -- was born in Sept. 1890. He grew up in Cumberland, MD and learned the butcher's trade from his father. In 1910, father and son worked together in a local meat market. He appears to have married Dorothy Shaffer ( ? -1969), daughter of Nevin and Margaret (Dunn) Shaffer. The couple moved to Wellersburg, Somerset County. They were the parents of Lewis Nevin Neubeiser, William Neubeiser and Margaret Pratt. In 1920, he made his wages as a coal miner. The family remained in Wellersburg, where he held a membership in Saints Peter and Paul Catholic Church of Cumberland and she in the Wellersburg Reformed Church. The family grieved when Dorothy's brother, John E. Shaffer, was killed in March 1950 in a Jeep accident on maneuvers in Japan. In the 1950s, Lewis earned a living at Cumberland's Queen City Brewing Company. As his health failed, Louis was admitted to Sacred Heart Hospital in Cumberland in mid-December 1953. After a stay of about 19 days, he succumbed to death at age 63 on Jan. 6, 1954. His obituary in the Cumberland News misspelled his mother's maiden name as "Kehneriman." A requiem mass was sung at the family church, led by Father Jose Pedrapa, with burial in Wellersburg Cemetery. Dorothy outlived her spouse by 15 years. Her final address was with her married daughter at 438 Walnut Street, Cumberland. The angel of death whisked her away at age 70 on March 11, 1969, in the city's Memorial Hospital.
Daughter Marie A. Neubeiser (1892- ? ) was born in April 1892.
Son Harry N. Neubeiser (1894- ? ) was born in Feb. 1894. He grew to manhood in Cumberland, MD. As with his elder brother Lewis, he became a butcher and worked with their father in 1910 in a Cumberland meat market. His fate after that time is not known.
~ Daughter Mary Ellen "Laura" (Knieriem) Bradour ~
Daughter Mary Ellen "Laura" Kneriem (1868-1950) was born in about 1868 in Wellersburg.
In about 1891, when she would have been age 22 or 23, she was married to George "William" Bradour (1858-1928), who was a decade her senior in age.
Their offspring were Marie Shaffer, Naomi Mathews, Guy W. Bradour, Paul W. Bradour and Willard M. Bradour.
Yhey lived near Cumberland, Allegany County, MD. The Bradours were members of St. Luke's Lutheran Church. Federal census records for 1910 and 1920 show their address as Bedford Road and William's occupation as "truck farmer" -- growing vegetables for commercial sale. William's uncle Charles lived under their roof in 1910.
Sadness enveloped the family in 1928 at George's death.
By 1932, the widowed Laura relocated to Roanoke, VA where her married sister Maggie Witt had resided for some time. At some point she returned to Cumberland.
During World War II, Laura worried as her son served for two years in the China-Burma-India theatre of war. In September 1945, Laura made her home on Bedford Street in Cumberland when her son Paul married Stella Mae Bortz. She made her home in her final years at 1414 Bedford Street in Cumberland.
On Sept. 9, 1950, the 82-year-old Laura died at home. Rev. Dr. H. Hall Sharp of the family church officiated at the funeral, followed by burial in the church cemetery. An obituary in the Cumberland Sunday Times noted that she was survived by five adult children, all living in Cumberland, and by five grandchildren and one great-granddaughter.
Daughter Marie Bradour (1892- ? ) was born in about 1892 in or near Cumberland, MD. When she was 17 years of age in 1909, she spent an extended visit with her aunt and uncle, Maggie and Levi Witt, in Roanoke, VA. When she returned home in May 1909, in company with her cousin Ruth Witt, the trip was mentioned in the gossip columns of the Cumberland Evening Times. She wedded (?) Shaffer. One daughter born into this marriage was Naomi E. Shaffer. Sadly, by 1940, Marie was a widow. She shared her home in 1940 with her bachelor brothers Guy and Willard. Circa 1974, she and Willard resided in the rear of 701 Frederick Street, Cumberland.
Son Guy W. Bradour (1894- ? ) was born in about 1894. served in the U.S. Army during World War I. Guy was joined in the bonds of wedlock with Ida Bolden ( ? - ? ). They became the parents of a daughter, Linda Ann Armentrout. The Bradours lived at 1414 Bedford Street in Cumberland and were members of St. Paul's Lutheran Church. Guy was employed by Heiskell Motor Company of Frostburg. Ida was interested in preservation of natural lands, and circa 1977 was president of the Garden Club of Cumberland. That year, the club joined the newly formed American Land Trust. She occasionally was pictured in related stories in Cumberland newspapers. Guy belonged to the Fort Cumberland post of the American Legion and the Fish Basket Hunting Club. Guy died as a patient in Memorial Hospital, on April 30, 1975, at the age of 81. Funeral services were held in the family church, officiated by Rev. Richard Manning. Burial was in St. Luke's Lutheran Cemetery, with an obituary published in the Cumberland News.
Daughter Naomi Bradour (1896- ? ) was born in about 1896. She married Richard H. Mathews. Circa 1974-1975, she was in Orlando, FL.
Son Paul W. Bradour (1899-1971) was born in about 1899. Still single in 1940, at age 40, he made a home with his widowed sister Maria Shaffer and bachelor brother Willard in Cumberland. At that time, he earned income as an automobile mechanic. He eventually wedded Estella Bortz ( ? -1969), daughter of Christopher C. and Cora (Nave) Bortz of Bedford Valley. The couple did not reproduce. Estella beonged to St. Luke's Lutheran Church, and North End Homemakers' Club and the Homemakers' Club Chorus. Their home address in the 1960s was 1035 Bedford Street, Cumberland. Sadly, Estella was stricken on Dec. 8, 1969 and rushed to Sacred Heart Hospital, where she was pronounced dead on arrival at the age of 77. Paul outlived her by a little more than a year. He died on Feb. 13, 1971. The body was interred in Hillcrest Burial Park, with funeral services presided over by Rev. Vernon I. Naugle. His obituary appeared in the Cumberland Evening Times.
Son Willard M. Bradour (1902-1974) was born in about 1902 in Cumberland. He served in the U.S. Armed Forces during World War II. During his working career, he was employed by German Brewing Company as a truck driver. For many years, in the 1930s through the 1970s, he dwelled with his sister Marie Shaffer in the rear of 701 Frederick Street. Willard held memberships in the Fort Cumberland post of the American Legion, National Rifle Association of Maryland, Fort Hill Rifle and Pistol Club. While fishing with friends one day near Flintstone in early April 1974, the 72-year-old Willard was stricken by a heart attack. He was rushed to Cumberland's Memorial Hospital, where he died on April 5, 1974. Funeral services were led by Rev. Vernon I. Naugle, and burial followed in St. Luke's Lutheran Church Cemetery. An obituary was published in the Cumberland News.
~ Daughter Margaret Alice "Maggie" (Knieriem) Witt ~
Daughter Margaret Alice "Maggie" Knieriem (1870-1953) was born on May 16, 1870 in or around Wellersburg..
On Nov. 24, 1891, at the age of 21, Maggie was joined in wedlock with 33-year-old widower Levi P. Witt (June 18, 1857-1944), son of John G. and Rebecca Margaret (Shaffer) Witt of Wellersburg. Rev. B. Knepper officiated at the nuptials held at the Knieriem residence. News of their marriage license was printed in the Somerset (PA) Herald.
At the time, Levi made his home in Roanoke, an independent city in Virginia, where he labored as a blacksmith, while Maggie lived in Wellersburg.
His first wife, Mary Ella (Gaumer) Witt (Oct. 18, 1860-1888) had died in Roanoke at the age of 28 on Oct. 31, 1888. He thus brought at least four children to the marriage -- Clarence Witt, Esther Witt, Nellie V. Witt and Ida Gertrude Witt.
The couple established their residence in Levi's community in Roanoke. He told a Cumberland (MD Evening Times reporter in January 1896 about how "everything [was] in a flourishing condition at Roanoke. The shops of the Norfolk and Western railway are located at this place and the money paid to the railroad men and employes of the shops last week amounted to over an [sic] hundred thousand dollars."
They produced three more offspring of their own -- Ruth Witt, Ralph K. Witt and Margaret Witt.
Federal census records for 1900 show the family in Roanoke, with Levi and their son Clarence engaged as wagon makers. At that time their home was along Eighth Avenue.
Levi appears to have been politically active in support of Democratic candidates. He at one time served as a Roanoke city councilman, likely in the 1896 timeframe.
During the spring of 1909, the Witts hosted an extended visit from their niece Marie Bradour. When Marie returned home to Cumberland in May 1909, in company with the Witts' daughter Ruth, the trip was mentioned in the gossip columns of the Cumberland Evening Times.
When the federal census was taken in 1910, the Witts' abode was on Jefferson Street in Roanoke, with 63-year-old Levi having no occupation, but daughter Ruth teaching in a public school. Margaret and the children areknown to have visited her parents in Wellersburg in August 1912. She returned to see her elderly mother at the Christmas holiday of 1912. Levi himself traveled back to Wellersburg in March 1922 for the funeral of his sister Angeline Gessner.
The Witts remained in Roanoke for several more decades and are shown there in the 1930 census. By that time, their address had changed to First Street.
Levi died on April 10, 1944, with burial in Roanoke's Evergreen Burial Park.
Maggie survived as a widow for nine years and died on Aug. 5, 1953. [Find-a-Grave]
Stepson Clarence Witt (1879- ? ) was born in June 1879 in Maryland. At age 20, in 1900, he lived at home and assisted his father in making wagons. Then in Mayf 1903, working for a contractor named Markley, he traveled to Goldsboro, NC "to do some street work in Goldsboro," said the Richmond Times Dispatch. But tragedy intervened after just a short time when he contracted spinal meningitis and died there at age 24 on June 1, 1903. "He was a splendid young man, who had many friends who will regret to hear of his death. His remains are expected here on the night train." News of the untimely death also was printed in the Baltimore Sun.
Stepdaughter Esther Witt (1881- ? ) was born in April 1881 in Maryland. Her paper trail has gone cold.
Stepdaughter Nellie V. Witt ( ? -1894) was born in (?). Circa 1894, she traveled for a visit to Williamsburg, Blair County, PA. There, she passed away in early July 1894, and the news was telegraphed to her father in Roanoke. He immediately took the noon train bound for Williamsburg, as reported in the Roanoke Times and Baltimore Sun. Interment of the remains was in Wellersburg Church Cemetery.
Stepdaughter Ida Gertrude Witt (1886-1892) was born in 1886. In infancy, she received the rite of Christian baptism at the Zion Lutheran and Reformed Church in Wellersburg on Aug. 28, 1887. Sadly, the angel of death gathered her away at the age of six in 1892. Burial was in Wellersburg Church Cemetery.
Daughter Ruth Witt (1894-1962) was born in Dec. 1894 in Roanoke. She is not known to have married. She traveled at age 15 in May 1909 to Cumberland, MD to visit with her cousin Marie Bradour and family. Her high school yearbook profiled her as a senior, saying she "is one of those silent but potent factors of the world's development who make only friends along their path. She has especially contributed to the physical welfare of many pupils by her delightful sandwiches and to their mental welfare by her help in Mathematics. Circa 1910, living at home, she taught in a public school. She passed away at the age of 90 on Feb. 5, 1962. The remains of both sleep in eternal rest in Roanoke's Evergreen Burial Park.
Son Ralph K. Witt (1904-1976) was born on April 26, 1904. He entered into marriage with Mary Frances Lutz (1910-2000). He died on Aug. 21, 1976, at age 72. Mary Frances outlived him by 24 years. She passed away in 2000.
Daughter Margaret Virginia Witt (1908-1953) was born on Feb. 15, 1908. She may not have married. At the age of 45, on May 22, 1953, she succumbed to death. Burial was in Evergreen Burial Park in Roanoke.
~ Daughter Clara M. (Knieriem) Evans ~
Daughter Clara Minerva Knieriem (1873-1919) was born in November 1873 in Wellersburg, Somerset County.
Clara relocated to Pittsburgh as a young woman, making her home at 335 Fifth Avenue.
On July 25, 1894, when she was 21 years of age, she was united in marriage with 23-year-old Charles Henry Evans (1871-1915), a native of West Virginia. Rev. R.B. Mansell officiated. At the time of marriage, he lived on Ann Street in Pittsburgh and worked as a cook.
The couple produced these four known children -- Charlene S. Evans, Beulah C.M. Evans, Harold K. Evans and Glen F. Evans.
In 1900, U.S. Census records show the family on Market Street in McKeesport, near Pittsburgh, with Charles earning a living as a cook, and Clara's younger unmarried sister Nettie Eva under their roof.
Between 1905 and 1910, the Evanses relocated to Cumberland, Allegany County, MD, with Charles having obtained a job as a cook in a local hotel. They lived in 1910 in a rented dwelling on Bedford Street.
Research by others states that Charles died three days before Christmas 1915. No other details are known, and the information is un-confirmed.
The same researchers claim that Clara passed away on Oct. 19, 1919.
Daughter Charlene S. Evans (1895- ? ) was born on May 1, 1895 in Pittsburgh. The 1910 census places her in Cumberland, MD. Reputedly, she died on April 18, 1922.
Daughter Beulah C.M. Evans (1896-1974?) was born on Dec. 30, 1896 in Pittsburgh. She is said to have died in Hot Springs in Garland, AR on Jan. 21, 1974, but this is not yet confirmed.
Son Harold K. Evans (1900-1993) was born on March 9, 1900 in McKeesport near Pittsburgh. He was a boy when the family relocated to Cumberland, MD. He was joined in matrimony with Eliza May Spriggs (1900-2000). Their four sons were Robert H. Evans, Delbert W. Evans, Carl H. Evans and Edward E. Evans. The couple relocated to Ambridge, Beaver County, PA, where for 36 years he earned a living as a craneman in the mill of Armco Steel. He also was a founding member and chief of the Economy Volunteer Fire Department. The couple's final years were spent in Indianapolis. Burdened with an enlarged thyroid and prostate cancer at the age of 93, he died in Millers Merry Manor in Indianapolis on March 11, 1993. The body was returned to Cumberland for interment in Hillcrest Burial Park. An obituary in the Indianapolis Star reported that he was survived by 19 grandchildren. Eliza outlived her spouse by seven years. The spectre of death carried her into eternity at age 97 on April 2, 2000.
Son Glen Francis Daniel Evans (1905- ? ) was born on April 17, 1905 in Turtle Creek near Pittsburgh.
~ Daughter Charlotte R. "Lottie" (Knieriem) Harper ~
Daughter Charlotte R. "Lottie" Knieriem (1878- ? ), was born in about 1878.
She was united in holy matrimony with James L. Harper (1878-1938), son of Scottish immigrants John and Jean (Love) Harper of Lonaconing, MD.
They produced three known children -- James K. Harper, Raymond L. Harper and Charlotte V. Novak.
Circa 1916, their home was in Pittsburgh.
James obtained new employment as a molder with the Thew Shovel Company and the family relocated to Elyria, Lorain County, OH. Their address in 1938 was 136 Pasadena Avenue in Lorain.
Sadly, James suffered from chronic heart disease and died in Elyria Memorial Hospital at the age of 60 on May 19, 1938. Interment was in Ridge Hill Park Cemetery.
The 1940 federal census shows the widowed Lottie heading a household in Elyria, with all three of her adult children and one son-in-law living under her roof.
Son James K. Harper resided with his widowed mother in Elyria, OH in 1940, earning a living as a sprayer for a tank manufacturer.
Son Raymond L. Harper supported himself as a clerk in a retail dry goods store in Elyria circa 1940.
Daughter Charlotte V. Harper wedded Arthur R. Novak. He was employed in 1940 as a molder in an alloy manufacturing company.
~ Daughter Eva Jeannette "Nettie" (Knieriem) Boger ~
Daughter Eva Jeannette "Nettie" Knieriem (1880-1926) sometimes spelled "Canary," was born in April 1880 in Wellersburg.
At the age of 20, in 1900, she was unmarried and dwelled with her married sister and children in McKeesport near Pittsburgh. The federal census-taker spelled her maiden name as "Canary."
She was united in matrimony with Herbert Daniel Boger (1880-1939), son of Henry Daniel and Lydia B. (Dickey) Boger of Brothersvalley Township, Somerset County.
Two children born into this family were Harry D. Boger, Verna Topin and Wilbur Boger.
They resided in Meyersdale, Somerset County, where Peter earned a living as a coal miner. Sadly, Herbert's mother died in their home on Beachley Street in October 1910.
Herbert had a falling-out with their son Harry. In 1924, father placed a public notice in the Meyersdale Republican, saying "I will not be responsible for any debts contracted by my 18-year-old son, Harry Boger."
Tragically, Eva Jeannette suffered from mental illness, and perhaps as early as March 1924 was admitted to the Somerset County Home and Hospital. She was treated there by Henry Wilson, M.D., of Somerset.
Eva Jeannette died in the Home on Nov. 6, 1926, at the age of 46, caused by "general paralysis of the insane," ruled a physician. Burial followed in Union Cemetery in Meyersdale.
Herbert lived for another baker's dozen of years. He retired from mining in 1931, when he was only age 51, perhaps as the mines shut down during the Great Depression. Suffering from heart disease and hardening of the arteries, he passed into eternity at age 58 on New Year's Day 1939, while in the home of his sister Mrs. Grant Tressler. Funeral services were held in the Tressler residence, led by Rev. O.A. Lorenz and Rev. H.K. Hilner. Burial followed in Meyersdale Union Cemetery. [Find-a-Grave]
Son Harry D. Boger (1906- ? ) was born in about 1906. He and his father had a major disagreement, and in 1924, the father placed a public notice in the Meyersdale Republican, saying "I will not be responsible for any debts contracted by my 18-year-old son, Harry Boger." Harry relocated to Southern California and in 1939 is known to have dwelled in Los Angeles.
Daughter Verna Boger (1907- ? ) was born in about 1907. She wedded (?) Topin ( ? - ? ). The couple migrated to Detroit and were there in 1939.
Son Wilbur Boger (1919- ? ) was born in about 1919 in Meyersdale. Nothing more about his life has come to light.
~ Son John Peter Knieriem ~
Son John Peter Knieriem (1882-1963) was three days after Christmas in 1882 near Wellersburg. He stood 5 feet, 7 inches tall, weighed 145 lbs, had grey eyes, black hair and a ruddy complexion.
At age 17, he lived at home on the farm and provided farm labor.
On Jan. 22, 1908, when he would have been age 26, John married 20-year-old Lyda D. Arnold (1888-1976), daughter of William H. and Rhoda M. (Mahaney) Arnold. The nuptials were celebrated at the First Methodist Church on Bedford Street in Cumberland, MD, with Rev. W.A. Melvin officiating. Attendants were Carrie (White) Shade and Lawrence H. Stutz.
Their nine known children, all born in Maryland, were Kathryn Hixson, Lt. Col. John Peter Knieriem Jr., Donald L. Knieriem, Mary E. Weimer, Martha L. McNeill, Robert Brooke Knieriem, Albert "Henry" Knieriem and two who died young.
They made their home for decades in Cumberland. The federal census of 1930 shows John at age 48 earning income by work as a building construction laborer. In 1930 and '40, they dwelled along Willowbrook Road, where he was a self-employed farmer.
John belonged to St. Paul's Lutheran Church were he was a member of the Duke Memorial Bible Class. Lyda was a member of the Cumberland chapter of the Order of Eastern Star and of Kingsley Methodist Church.
By 1940, John had taken on a new occupation as a dairy farm operator in Cumberland. The family was covered in worry during World War II when son John Jr. took part in the invasion of France and later saw action in Germany.
John was named in the Cumberland (MD) Sunday Times obituary of his sister Mary Ellen Bradour in 1950 and lived in Cumberland.
Sadly, John died in November 1963. Yet confusion abounds as five-plus years later, on Jan. 22, 1969, the couple was reported to have quietly celebrated their 61st wedding anniversary.
Lyda lived for three more years at their home at 475 Willowbrook Road. At the age of 88, she died in Cumberland Nursing Home on Aug. 31, 1976. Her obituary was printed in the Cumberland News.
Daughter Kathryn Knieriem narrued (?) Hixson.
Son Lt. Col. John Peter Knieriem Jr.
Son Donald L. Knieriem.
Daughter Mary E. Knieriem wedded (?) Weimer.
Daughter Martha L. Knieriem was joined in matrimony with (?) McNeill.
Son Robert Brooke Knieriem.
Son Albert "Henry" Knieriem.
~ Son Louis C. Knieriem ~
Son Louis C. Knieriem (1885-1964) was born in September or December 1885 in Wellersburg. He never married.
In 1940, federal census records show the 55-year-old boarding in the home of Walter and Edith Sturtz along Old Plank Road in Wellersburg, with no occupation.
He was admitted to the Somerset County Home in about 1942 and remained there for the rest of his life. In 1950, when mentioned in the Cumberland (MD) Sunday Times obituary of his sister Mary Ellen Bradour, he was living in Somerset, PA.
Having become senile, and burdened with hardening of the arteries to his brain, he died on Jan. 8, 1964, at age 78. Following funeral services conducted by Rev. John A. Klindt of the Church of Christ, the remains were buried with his parents in Cook Cemetery. An obituary in the Cumberland News noted that his sister in law Lyda Knieriem of Cumberland and several nieces and nephews were his only survivors.