What's New

Photo of the Month

Minerd.com Blog


National Reunion


Cousin Voices

Honor Roll

In Lasting Memory

In the News

Our Mission and Values

Annual Review

Favorite Links

Contact Us


John L. May


John's grave, Dry Ridge
Trinity Church of Christ

John L. May was born on Jan. 11, 1827 or in Feb. 1826 in Somerset County, PA, the son of Leonard and Maria "Catherine" (Younkin) May. A wounded veteran of the Civil War, he farmed as a young man. John stood 5 feet, 10½ inches tall, with a fair complexion, hazel eyes and dark hair, and weighed 164 lbs.

On Sept. 1, 1850, in a ceremony held in Bedford County, the 23-year-old John was united in matrimony with 32-year-old Elizabeth Holler (1818-1894). Justice of the peace Joseph Dull officiated, and Elizabeth's relatives William Holler and Joseph Hollar were present.

The Mayses were the parents of three known children -- Kasiah C. Smith, Samuel C. May and James M. May.

When the federal census was taken in 1860, they made their home next to John’s parents and brother Daniel and family in Juniata Township, Bedford County.

During the Civil War, on Nov. 28, 1864, the 34-year-old John was drafted into the Union Army and sent to a basic training facility at Chambersburg, PA. He was assigned to the 67th Pennsylvania Infantry, Company C, with the balance of fellow soldiers in his company having been recruited in Pike and Wayne Counties.

While in battle at Sailor's Creek, VA on April 6, 1865, he received a enemy gunshot wound through the right breast, two-and-a-half inches below the right nipple. The minié ball passed through his right lung and exited about four inches below his shoulder blade. He fell to the ground and was attended by Samuel L. Kellerman of the 138th Pennsylvania Infantry, who carried him off the field.

John was taken to Carver Station in Washington, DC to receive medical care for his woiund. No longer fit for mlitary duty, he received an honorable discharge on a surgeon's certificate after nine months of duty, on June 28, 1865.

Later in 1865, in October, he was back at home and applied for a military pension as compensation for his wartime wound. At the time, he was age 38 and living in Dry Creek, Juniata Township, Bedford County. The pension was approved, and he began receiving monthly payments of $6. [Invalid App. #94.547 - Cert. #60.533] The payment was raised to $8 monthly by 1876.


Above: stereoview image of ruins of Chambersburg after the Confederate occupation in 1864. Below: Union forces at Sailer's Creek, VA, where John was wounded in April 1865. Library of Congress



Actual surgeon's sketch of John's Civil
War wound (yellow circle added)

John told others that as a result of the wound, he experienced coughing, rheumatic pain and numbness of his entire right side. He said the debility kept him from earning a living from manual labor.

At some point the Mayses relocated to Berlin, Somerset County. By 1890, when he was enumerated in a special census of Civil War veterans and their widows, his postal address was Boynton, Somerset County.

John occasionally applied for increases in his pension payment amounts. Among the friends who signed affidavits on his behalf were his brother Daniel H. May, his first wife's kinsmen Samuel Holler of Speelman, PA and William H. Holler of Manns Choice, PA as well as C.G. Stutzman of Rockwood, PA; George W. Witt and Frank H. Sufall of Somerset, PA; and undertaker E.N. Miller and C.C. Kutz of Stahlstown, PA.

Elizabeth succumbed at the age of 76 on the Fourth of July 1894. Her death took place on the Baumeister farm near Berlin.


John's Civil War discharge

John survived her by almost six years. In one of his physical examinations, the doctor wrote that "I treated him for vomiting. He always complained of being weak. My opinion is there was a growth in his stomach which closed up the pyloric end [small intestine] and prevented the foot from passing out, as the food would stay in the stomach long enough to be digested and would then be ejected by vomiting."

On April 11, 1899, in nuptials held in Cumberland, Allegany County, MD, he married a second time to Jennie M. (Wooley) Kunkle Stout (July 1849- ? ). The ceremony was held in the Arlington Hotel, led by Rev. J.M. Yingling of the Methodist Protestant Church. Her previous two marriages were in 1867 or 1869 to William Kunkle (who died Oct. 27, 1890) and to David Stout (in about 1893?), which ended in divorce in Somerset County after two years.

At the time of marriage, John was living near Berlin and working on the Iskin farm, while Jennie was employed by Sheriff Hartzell at the Somerset County Jail. They began making a home at Altfather's Mills two miles from Berlin.

The 1900 federal census shows the 74-year-old John and 50-year-old Jennie in a home in Brothersvalley Township, Somerset County. That year, he continued to earn a living as a day laborer. Among his labors in 1901 was plowing seven acres of farm field for Mr. Altfather, the last work he was capable of performing. John underwent oral surgery around that time with Dr. Miller of Hyndman cutting a growth from the roof of the mouth.

Toward the end of his life, John's monthly pension check amount was $51.


Main Street looking east from Lower Diamond in Berlin, PA


Shortly before John's death, in 1902, he threw up after every meal -- sometimes buckets full -- and was stricken with severe diarrhea. Jennie recalled that he "was a pretty hearty eater" and that "the day before he died he ate fat meat which I would not eat. he drank a good deal of milk. But as the food ceased to pass through him he threw up in greater quantities."

Finally, they left Altfather's Mills bound for Fossilville. The couple stayed the first night at the home of fellow soldier (?) Beall. The next two evenings were spent at Chauncey Yutzy's home "on the mountain" and from there they went to the home of his brother Daniel. From there, the day before Easter, they went to negotiate for a house they intended to buy in Fossilville, and bedded that night at the residence of Mary Ritchey. Among those individuals with whom they interacted in Fossilville were Mary Stauffer, wife of J.W. Stauffer; his first wife's relative Samuel Holler; and Frederick Wolford.

At the end, he walked about the house they were about to buy and could not rest in a reclining position, preferring to sit in a chair.

John died just three days after Easter in the wee hours of April 9, 1902. No physician was in attendance. His brother Daniel came within a few hours to make funeral arrangements. John Sides of Hyndman was the undertaker and also officiated at the burial service at the Trinity United Church of Christ Cemetery. In an obituary in its "Berlin" column, the Meyersdale Republican noted that he was "formerly of this community, [and] died at Fossilville, Bedford county, aged about 70 years. He was a veteran of the civil war."

Now widowed, Jennie continued to dwell in Fossilville. She applied for her late husband's pension, but it was not granted.

"Many descendants live in the Berlin, Somerset County area," wrote researcher Suzanne Chutis.


~ Daughter Kasiah C. (May) Smith ~

Daughter Kasiah C. May (1852-1943) was born on Feb. 17, 1852 in Bedford County. Her name has been misspelled as "Zakiah."

In about 1876, when she was about 23 years of age, Kasiah married Samuel Smith (June 5, 1852-1917), son of Jacob and Sarah (Kelites) Smith of Bedford County.

They were the parents of a dozen children, of whom these names are known -- Cora Coughenour, Ida Cook Burris, Carrie Smith, Harvey Samuel Smith, Levi Smith, Florence Smith, John "William" Smith, Ada Smith and Pearl Bingner.

The Smiths were farmers. Circa 1880, federal census records show them in Elk Lick Township, Somerset County, PA. Later, by 1900, they made a home in Glencoe, Northampton Township, Somerset County.

Samuel was burdened with heart valve disease which led to congenital heart failure. Sadly, he died at the age of 65 on Aug. 27, 1917. Interment was in Mount Lebanon Cemetery, otherwise known as "Lebanon Cemetery" in Glencoe, Somerset County.

When reaching her 67th birthday, Kasiah was given a quilting and birthday party at her home, attended by her adult children. Said the Meyersdale Republican, "A very pleasant day was spent, and a fine dinner was served... She received a number of gifts."

In about 1922, she relocated to Berlin, Somerset County, where she spent the final 21 years of her life.

Suffering from chronic heart disease, she died at the age of 91 on April 4, 1943. Burial was in Mt. Lebanon Cemetery, with son J.W. Smith of Berlin signing the official Pennsylvania certificate of death. An obituary in the Meyersdale Republican noted that she had died "after an illness of about a month" and was survived by 17 grandchildren and 12 great-grandchildren.

Daughter Cora Smith (1876- ? ) was born in about 1876 in Elk Lick Township, Somerset County. She married Samuel Coughenour ( ? - ? ). They dwelled in Connellsville, Fayette County in 1901. Some years later, the Coughenours migrated to Detroit and are known to have been there in 1943-1948. The couple is believed to have had these children, Harold Ray Coughenour, Walter LeRoy Coughenour, George E. Coughenour and Evelyn Ekstrom.

  • Grandson Harold Ray Coughenour ( ? -1969) was born in (?). He married Theodora B. ( ? - ? ). Evidence hints that he was a member of the Dearborn Lodge of the Masons. Theodora died prior to 1969. He joined her in death in 1969, with a death notice published in the Detroit Free Press, naming Levi H. Smith as an uncle.
  • Grandson Walter LeRoy Coughenour
  • Grandson George E. Coughenour.
  • Granddaughter Evelyn G. Coughenour wedded (?) Ekstrom.

Daughter Ida A. Smith (1879- ? ) was born in about 1879 in Elk Lick Township, Somerset County. She appears to have been wedded twice. Her first spouse was Charles A. Cook (Sept. 1875-1910). They made a home circa 1901 in Connellsville, Fayette County, PA, with Charles employed in 1900 as a railroad conductor. Offspring born to this union were Helen Cook and Hubert Cook. Evidence suggests that the couple divorced. On Jan. 8, 1908, at the age of 29, she eloped to Wheeling, Ohio County, WV to marry 31-year-old William L. Burris (Oct. 16, 1876-1917), son of Joseph and Willie Ann (Tuttle) Burris of Tyler County, WV. Their wedding was officiated by D.A. Cunningham. The Burrises lived in Connellsville at 114 Vine Street and produced three more known children of their own -- Gladys Irene Jividan Cowan. Burris, Luther William Burris and John Franklin "Frank" Burris. William spent 20 years in the employ of the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad, the last dozen in the role of engineer. He was a member of the Hazelwood Division No. 370 of the Brotherhood of Locomotive Engineers. At the age of 40, while at work, William was "badly scalded about the body when a check valve blew off his engine," reported the Connellsville Daily Courier. He was rushed to Connellsville's Cottage State Hospital and lingered for eight days. Adding to the heartbreak, Ida's father was deathly ill at the time, and Ida traveled to his home in Glencoe, where he soonafter died. Upon her return to Connellsville, within 36 hours, Ida learned that her husband had succumbed on Aug. 28, 1917. The Daily Courier noted that "Hopes for his recovery were entertained until last Friday when his condition became more alarming." J.H. Burris of Newell, WV signed the official Pennsylvania certificate of death. The remains were interred in Hill Grove Cemetery. In 1920, Ida and her family were in Connellsville, as shown by census records. The widowed Ida and her son Frank relocated to Michigan and made a home together in 1935 in Bay City. Trouble arose when the two traveled to Detroit in August 1935 for a visit with her daughter and son-in-law Helen and Oren Heinbaugh. They remained in the Heinbaugh home for months, with the son-in-law objecting to their presence and ultimately taking them to court to force them to leave. Upon a judge's recommendation, Ida and Frank accepted their in-law's offer to pay their $10 carfare back home. Ida remained in the Detroit area in the early 1940s, with an address of 4303 Belvedere. Her fate is not yet known.


Detroit skyline of the 1930s and '40s.


  • Granddaughter Helen May Cook (1900-1977) was born in about 1900 in Connellsville. On Nov. 20, 1919, reputedly in Essex, Ontario, Canada, Helen was united in matrimony with sheet metal worker Oren Lawrence Heinbaugh Sr. (1902-1965), a native of Ursina, Somerset County and the son of Colonel and Emma Florence (Lenhart) Heinbaugh. The couple's offspring were George H. Heinbaugh, Shirley Kirchner and Oren L. Heinbaugh Jr. During World War I, Oren had served in the U.S. Army, training at Camp Lee, VA. He was shipped overseas and wounded on July 15, 1918, "shot through his steel helmet, the bullet going through the back of his head," reported the Connellsville Daily Courier. He recovered and returned to the United States. The Heinbaughs relocated in the early 1920s to Detroit, where he found work as a business agent for the Sheet Metal Workers Union. Their address was 1281 Newport Avenue. Trouble shook the couple when Helen's mother and brother Frank came to visit in August 1935 and stayed for months. Oren continually protested their presence, and offered them $10 to depart. In frustration, Oren filed suit in Circuit Court requesting an injunction that would force his in-laws to leave. Circuit Judge Thomas A. Murphy chose not to sign the injunction but in October made the recommendation that the mother and son accept the "carfare" money and go back home, reported the Detroit Free Press. The Heinbaughs' marriage deteriorated past the point of no return, and they sought a divorce. The children were sent to Connellsville to live with their mother's sister Alice Mitts circa 1940. Helen supported herself for 25 years as a clerk and bookkeeper with Cunningham Drug Company. She belonged to Detroit's Retail Clerks Union. Helen's final years were spent with her son Oren Jr. in or around Hamilton, OH, at 126 North F Street. Sadly, she died at the age of 77 on June 29, 1977. She was laid into eternal repose in Cadillac Memorial Gardens in Garden City, MI. An obituary appeared in the Hamilton Journal News. Former husband Oren progressed to become vice president of the union, and in 1940 chaired a Laborers for Willkie for President National Committee, with candidate Wendell L. Willkie running against incumbent Franklin Delano Roosevelt who was seeking an unprecedented third term. Reported the Daily Courier, Oren "has been working throughout this locality to weld the organizations behind the candidate. he has been making a trip into Connellsville every week." In 1951, he was sent by the international president of the American Federation of Labor to take control of the controversial Sheet Metal Workers local 115, where he ordered a new election of officers, transferred select members to other unions and performed an audit of its books. He passed away on May 2, 1965 in Detroit, with a death notice appearing in the Free Press. His burial site was White Chapel Memorial Park in Troy, Oakland County, MI.

Great-grandson George H. Heinbaugh (1924- ? ) was born in 1924 in Detroit. At the age of 16, he and his siblings lived in Connellsville with an aunt, Alice Mitts. George served in the South Pacific Theatre during World War II. He resided in 1977 in St. Clair Shores, MI.

Great-granddaughter Shirley E. Heinbaugh (1925- ? ) was born in about 1925 in Detroit. In 1940, when she was age 15, she and her brothers resided with their aunt Alice Mitts in Connellsville. Shirley was joined in marriage with George Kirchner. Circa 1977, they dwelled in Baltimore, MD.

Great-grandson Oren L. Heinbaugh Jr. (1927- ? ) was born in about 1927 in Detroit. He spent some of his teenage years in Connellsville, residing with his siblings in the home of an aunt, Alice Mitts. While in high school, he enlisted in the U.S. Navy so that he could take part in World War II. He was deployed to Puerto Rico for 15 months before taking a new assignment. He married Elaine Graft ( ? - ? ), daughter of Walter "Hooks" and Alberta (Baumann) Graft of Hamilton, OH. They were the parents of Larry Heinbaugh and Martha Jane Ewen. The family lived in Hamilton in 1971 and in St. Clair Shores, MI in 1977. Their son Larry was a star basketball player with the Fairfield High School Indians in 1971, and idolized Gus Johnson of the Baltimore Bullets of the National Basketball Association.

  • Grandson Hubert Cook (1903-1974) was born on Nov. 13, 1903. At the age of 17 in 1920, he lived with his widowed mother in Connellsville and had no occupation. He stood 5 feet, 9 inches tall, weighed 148 lbs. and had brown eyes and blonde hair. He and his mother and siblings relocated to Michigan. When the federal census enumeration was made in 1930, he resided in his mother's home and was an apprentice electrician. Circa 1942, still single at the age of 38, he lived at 805 Pearl Street in Ypsilanti, Washtenaw County, MI. At that time, he was employed by the John Miller Electric Company in Detroit and worked at the Ford bomber plant in Willow Run, Washtenaw County. Little else is known of his life. After the war, he remained in Ypsilanti through the end of his life. He died in Ann Arbor on April 27, 1974.
  • Granddaughter Gladys Irene Burris (1908-1984) was born on Aug. 1, 1908 in Connellsville, Fayette County. Circa 1930, she resided in Detroit, employed as a comptometer operator for a city directory. She was twice married. Her first husband was Edwin Porter Jividan (1902-1986). They were wed in Detroit on Aug. 16, 1925. In less than three years, their marriage failed, and Gladys sued for divorce on July 1, 1928, citing "extreme cruelty," and her petition was granted on Oct. 30, 1928. She relocated to Steuben County, IN. At the age of 24, in nuptials held in Steuben County, she was united in wedlock with William Cooper Cowan (April 23, 1908-1983), a Tennessee native. They settled in Detroit. In 1940, Gladys earned a living as a comptometer operator for a wholesale gasoline business, while William worked as a press operator for Chevrolet Motor Company. Later, she worked as a beautician. He passed into eternity on Jan. 20, 1983 in Cookeville, Putnam County, TN. Gladys followed him to the grave, in Cookeville, on May 31, 1984. The couple sleeps side by side in Crest Lawn Cemetery in Cookeville.
  • Grandson Luther William Burris (1912-1979) was born on Sept. 3, 1912 in Connellsville. He was only five years of age at the time of his father's tragic death. He relocated to Detroit with his widowed mother. He stood 5 feet, 10 inches tall, weighed 198 lbs. and had brown eyes and black hair.At the age of 21, in 1933, he is believed to have been engaged to marry 19-year-old Marie Affinito ( ? - ? ), also of Detroit and the daughter of Fred and Lena (Miller) Affinito. Whether or not they officially wed is not yet known. Then at the age of 28, in 1940, he lived in an apartment in Detroit and was employed by Hudson Motor Car Company as a machine operator. Then when he was 29 years of age, on Oct. 18, 1941, he married 28-year-old divorced waitress Vera (Arnold) Kemmerling ( ? - ? ), daughter of John and Jenny (Kennedy) Arnold. Luther died in Detroit on Nov. 29, 1979.
  • Grandson John Franklin "Frank" Burris (1914-1975) was born on March 31, 1914 in Connellsville and was only three years old when his father died. He and his widowed mother relocated to Michigan and in 1935 dwelled in Bay City. In adulthood he stood 5 feet, 10½ inches tall, weighed 172 lbs. and had brown eyes and brown hair. He was united in holy matrimony with Elizabeth McLeish (Jan. 13, 1915-2005). They were joined in wedlock in Detroit in 1939, with the ceremony held in St. Berhard Church. Circa 1940, the couple lived at 1450 Lakeview in Detroit, and he worked for Buggs Manufacturing. The couple is believed to have produced these children -- Franklin Burris Jr., Hugh F. Burris, John Raymond Burris and Marilyn Burris. The family mourned on Jan. 23, 1940 at the death of infant son Hugh at the age of just 18 days. They put down roots in Terre Haute, Vigo County, IN at 1530 South 7th Street in Clinton, IN. There, Frank earned income as a painter. Having suffered for years from emphysema, he contracted pneumonia and died in Regional Hospital at the age of 61 on Dec. 11, 1975. Burial was in Calvary Cemetery in Terre Haute. Elizabeth lived as a widow for another three decades. The Angel of Death carried her away on Aug. 10, 2005. Inscribed on their grave marker are the words "Tho' lost to sight, to memory dear."

Daughter Carrie E. Smith (1882-1932) was born in March 1882. Circa 1908-1932, she was unmarried and made a residence in Cumberland, Allegany County, MD. Her address in the early 1930s was 103 Oldtown Road. Tragically, on July 7, 1932, she fainted while walking on a city street and collapsed, striking her head on the curb. She was taken to Allegany Hospital, and died there four days later on July 11, 1932. An obituary was printed in the Cumberland Evening Times, which said "She is survived by her mother, Mrs. Samuel Smith."

Son Harvey Samuel Smith (1884-1948) was born on Jan. 28, 1884 in Glencoe, Somerset County. Harvey married Bertha Mae Bergman (or "Borgman") (1886- ? ). The couple produced a daughter, Grace Lucas. They resided in Berlin. Sadly, the marriage ended in divorce. He was employed for many years at Frantz Distillery. Toward the end of his life, suffering from cancer of the prostate and bladder, he was a patient in Shockey Hospital in Berlin. When he caught a serious case of pneumonia, he was transferred to Somerset Community Hospital. He died a day later on Nov. 7, 1948. Burial was in Mount Lebanon Cemetery in Glencoe, with Rev. A.F. Richards leading the service. Son-in-law Grayson Lucas was the informant for the death certificate, and an obituary appeared in the Meyersdale Republican and Cumberland (MD) Evening Times.

  • Granddaughter Grace Smith married Grayson Lucas and lived in Cumberland, MD in 1948.

Son John "William" Smith (1887-1966) was born on Jan. 14, 1887 in Southampton Township, Somerset County. He wedded Mary A. McDonough ( ? - ? ). The couple produced six offspring -- James M. Smith, Charles W. Smith, Harry M. Smith, Betty Mae Walters and two daughters who died young. William was a longtime farmer and resided in the Berlin area. The family belonged to the Trinity United Church of Christ. In retirement, he made a home at 312 Cumberland Street in Berlin. He spent his final years in the Somerset County Home for the Aged in Berlin, afflicted with rectal cancer. He was carried away by the Grim Reaper at the age of 79 on April 1, 1966. Interment was in the IOOF Cemetery in Berlin. A Meyersdale Republican obituary said he was survived by 10 grandchildren and three great-grandchildren.

  • Grandson James M. Smith was in Berlin in 1966.
  • Grandson Charles W. Smith dwelled in the mid-1960s in Berlin.
  • Grandson Harry M. Smith migrated to Washington, Washington County, PA.
  • Granddaughter Betty Mae Smith married (?) Walters. Her home in 1966 was in Washington, Washington County, PA.

Son Levi H. Smith (1889-1974) was born on May 1, 1889 in Glencoe, Somerset County. He was tall and slender, with blue eyes and black hair. At the age of 20 in 1910, he was unmarried and lived at home and was a school teacher in or around Northampton Township, Somerset County. By 1917, he had accepted a teaching position at Norwin High School in Irwin, Westmoreland County. When required to register for the military draft during World War I, in 1917, he was single and stated that he also was a farmer and suffered a weak side as a result of surgery. At the age of 37, in about 1928, he wedded 23-year-old Betty S. (1905- ? ), a New York native. They made their home in 1930 and 1940 in Detroit, Wayne County, MI. His occupation in 1930 was as an accountant for a refrigeration company, and by 1940 had changed careers as an agent with the Internal Revenue Service. Over the years, he was a member of the Army and Navy Lodge of the Masons, patron of Trinity Chapter of the Order of Eastern Star, vice president of the Wayne County Association and member of the George Washington Post of the American Legion. At one time he was publisher of the Eastern Star magazine in Michigan. He was still living in 1969 when named in the Free Press death notice of a nephew. In the 1970s, they lived in Highland Park, Wayne County, MI. Levi died at the age of 85, on Sept. 27, 1974 in Ford Hospital in Detroit. A death notice in the Free Press said that an Army-Navy Lodge funeral service would be held.

Daughter Florence Smith (1893- ? ) was born in June 1893.

Daughter Pearl Smith (1893-1983) was born on June 26, 1893 in Northampton Township, Somerset County. She was wedded to Ward Bingner ( ? -1977). They dwelled in Berlin and bore two offspring -- Phyllis I. Painter and one other. Sadness enveloped the family when 42-year-old daughter Phyllis J. Painter died in 1969. Ward passed away in 1977. Pearl survived her spouse by six years. She succumbed in Maple Mountain Manor at the age of 90 on Nov. 15, 1983. Her remains were placed into repose in the Berlin Odd Fellows Cemetery. Rev. Ralph E. Ellis officiated at the funeral, and a short obituary was printed in the Meyersdale Republican. [Find-a-Grave]

  • Granddaughter Phyllis I. Bingner (1925-1969) was born in 1969. She married (?) Painter ( ? - ? ). Sadly, she died at the age of about 42 in 1969. She rests beside her mother in the Berlin IOOF Cemetery.


Main Avenue from Center Street in Ashtabula, OH, as published on a postcard by photographer Bruce Gardner. Below: Bruce's imprint on the back of the card.


Daughter Ada I. Smith (1897-1966) was born on Feb. 22, 1897 in or around Northampton Township, Somerset County. When she was a young woman, she relocated to Fort Wayne, Allen County, IN. At the age of 22, on March 6, 1919, she married 35-year-old Indiana native Bruce C. Gardner (May 28, 1895-1967), the son of Myrtle (Calbert) Gardner. The nuptials were held in Fort Wayne and performed by Rev. A.G. Neal of the First Methodist Episcopal Church. At the time, Bruce was employed as a motor tester in Fort Wayne. Circa 1930, federal census records show the couple living in Detroit, with Bruce employed as a commercial salesman of paper products and Ada as a photography retoucher. By 1940, they relocated to Geneva, Ashtabula County, OH. In Geneva, the couple operated their own photography studio. Ada passed into eternity on Jan. 6, 1966, at the age of 69. Bruce only outlived her by a year and succumbed on March 3, 1967. They rest in Evergreen Cemetery in Geneva.


Samuel's grave, Dry Ridge/
Trinity United Church of Christ

~ Son Samuel C. May ~

Son Samuel C. May (1853-1869) was born in about September 1853.

Samuel was too young to serve as a soldier during the Civil War but watched as five of his older brothers joined the Union Army.

Grief swept over the May family when Samuel e died at the age of 16 years and one month on Oct. 30, 1869. Records of MayHouse.org have been consulted in providing the death date.

Interment of his remains was in the Dry Ridge Lutheran and Reformed Church, later renamed the Trinity United Chuch of Christ. The church is located in Juniata Township -- about halfway between West End and Manns Choice -- at the corner of Glade Pike ad Brant Hollow Road.

An examination of his grave marker, standing erect and legible today, confirms his name, parents, age at and date of death.


~ Son James M. May ~

Son James M. May (1855-1935) was born on Valentine's Day 1855 in Buffalo Mills, Bedford County.

In about 1882, when he would have been age 27, James was wedded to 18-year-old Margaret Large "Maggie" Shook (Aug. 5, 1864-1938), also spelled "Shuck," the daughter of William and Mary Ann (Patton) Shuck.

The couple were farmers and made their home for decades in Berlin, Brothersvalley Township, Somerset County.

They were the parents of five children, of whom four survived childhood -- Charles C. May, Manda M. Lytle, Winifred K. "Winnie" Lytle and Hilda A. Smith. At least one of the children was born in Meyersdale, Somerset County.

Circa 1910, when the federal census enumeration was made, James earned a living at age 55 by performing odd jobs, and Margaret was a dress-maker. James' work in 1920, as shown by the census was as a stable boss in nearby coal mines. Their home in 1921 was in Goodtown, and they hosted the marriage ceremony of their youngest daughter Hilda.

As he reached age 80, James was burdened with chronic kidney disease, uremia and hardening of the arteries. He died at age 80 on Dec. 7, 1935, in Brothersvalley. C.C. May of Berlin was the informant for the Pennsylvania death certificate. Burial was in Ridge Church Cemetery.

Margaret survived her husband by a little more than two years. Stricken with chronic inflammation of her gall bladder, she succumbed at the age of 73 on Feb. 3, 1938. Harry L. Lytle of Berlin was the informant for the Pennsylvania death certificate.


IOOF Cemetery, Berlin

Son Charles C. May (1882-1953) was born on Feb. 23, 1882 in Berlin, Somerset County. He worked as a young man as a driller. He was of medium height and build, with grey eyes and dark hair. At the age of 24, on Sept. 23, 1906, he was united in matrimony with 16-year-old Belinda B."Linnie" Baker (July 23, 1891-1953), daughter of C. Wilson and Mary (Ream) Baker of Berlin. Because Linnie was legally underage, her widowed father gave his consent to the union. Rev. Charles Lambert officiated at the nuptials held in Friedens, Somerset County. The couple produced these children -- Mary "Elta" Bingner, Margaret Elizabeth Deeter, Robert "Wilson" May and James Milton May. The family lived on a farm in Brothersvalley near Berlin and were members of the Brothersvalley Church of the Brethren. Charles was required to register for the military draft during World War I, even though he was 36 years of age. He disclosed to the registrar that he was a self-employed farmer in Brothersvalley Township and that Belinda was his nearest relative. On the evening of Nov. 4, 1953, both Charles and Linnie died under an unusual circumstance. "Death took two members of one family in Berlin," reported a newspaper, "with the husband and wife having been in apparently good health up until the time of their death." Charles had been outside working and collapsed after coming back into the house. He was dead before a physician could be called. When Linnie heard the news, she went into shock and collapsed and within four-and-a-half hours was dead. A double funeral services was officiated by Rev. Austin Cooper, and burial followed in the Odd Fellows Cemetery in Berlin.

  • Granddaughter Mary "Elta" May (1906-1974) was born on Dec. 6, 1906 in Brothersvalley Township. She married Richard C. Bingner (Jan. 26, 1908-1975). The couple were the parents of Eugene Bingner, Alice Tarry, Duane Bingner and Ronald Bingner. They dwelled in Berlin. Elta was a member of the Berlin Church of the Brethren, and Richard of the Holy Trinity Lutheran Church, also of Berlin. They belonged to the local fire department and the American Legion and auxiliaries. Their address in the 1970s was on Berlin's South Street. Elta passed into eternity at the age of 67, on May 21, 1974, in Conemaugh Valley Memorial Hospital. Her remains were placed into repose in the IOOF Cemetery in Berlin, with Rev. Ralph E. Mills officiating. An obituary was printed in the Somerset Bulletin. Richard only survived his wife by about a year-and-a-half. He was admitted to Meyersdale Community Hospital and succumbed there at the age of 67 on Dec. 16, 1975. Rev. George E. Buechner led the funeral service, with the American Legion and Veterans of Foreign Wars posts assisting.

Great-grandson Eugene C. Bingner (1929-2004) was born on St. Patrick's Day 1929 in Berlin. During World War II, he served in the U.S. Navy. He made his home in Detroit in 1974-1975 but eventually returned to Berlin. He was a member of Holy Trinity Lutheran Church and American Legion post in Berlin. At the end, he was a resident of Meadow View Nursing Center in Berlin, where he died at age 75 on May 12, 2004. Rev. Gene Oburn preached the funeral service, followed by burial in the Berlin Odd Fellows Cemetery.

Great-granddaughter Alice Bingner ( ? - ? ) was born in (?). She relocated to Detroit and worked at Nash Kelvinator Company in 1952. She married William Tarry (also spelled "Troy?") in Detroit on June 14, 1952 in nuptials held at the Broad Street Presbyterian Church. Rev. W. Wylie officiated. Said the Meyersdale Republican, "The bride given in marriage by her uncle, Harry Von Gunter of Detroit, wore a ballerine length gown of white nylon marquisette with a small lace headpiece. She carried a bouquet of roses." At the time of the wedding, William worked for General Motors. They resided in the 1970s in Somerset.

Great-grandson Duane Bingner made his home with his parents in Berlin in 1974 and in Confluence in 2004.

Great-grandson Ronald Bingner married Kristen and dwelled in Hollywood, FL in 1974. By 2004, they had relocated to Louisville, KY.

  • Granddaughter Margaret Elizabeth May (1911-2002) was born on May 23, 1911 in Brotherton. In about 1936, at the age of about 25, she wedded Elkins Clayton Deeter (Dec. 16, 1908-1993), son of Zacharian A. and Jane (Bridegum) Deeter of Berlin. The marriage endured for 57 years. They bore two children, Betty Lou Hess and Robert E. Deeter. During World War II, Elkins served in the U.S. Armed Forces. For many years, their home was in Berlin, where Elkins labored as a dairyman, owning Modern Dairy. By 1975, he earned a living as a food inspection agent with the Pennsylvania Department of Agriculture. They were members of the Church of the Brethren and the Berlin Veterans of Foreign Wars. Elkins died in Somerset Hospital on Oct. 19, 1993 at the age of 84. Rev. Bryan G. Karchner officiated at the funeral service, with the remains placed into rest in the Odd Fellows Cemetery in Berlin. An obituary was published in the Somerset Daily American. Margaret survived her husband by nine years. She was admitted to Somerset Hospital and died there at age 91 on July 8, 2002. Rev. Owen Preston preached the funeral sermon.

Great-granddaughter Betty Lou Deeter was employed in 1958 in Wilkinsburg by Bell Telephone. by On Feb. 12, 1958, in nuptials held in Henderson, NC, she married Jack Hess, son of George Hess of Turtle Creek near Pittsburgh. At the time, Jack worked for Westinghouse Electric in Pittsburgh. They produced these known children -- Mark Hess, Michael Hess, Barbara Jean Hutton and Brian Hess. In 1993, the Hesses lived in Berlin and in 2004 in Harmony, PA.

Great-grandson Robert E. Deeter was united in holy matrimony with Anna Hilda Hernandez. They bore a son, Christopher R. Deeter. Their home in 1993-2004 was in Easton, Northampton County, PA.

  • Brotherton Pike Cemetery
    Grandson Robert "Wilson" May (1915-1981) was born on May 27, 1915 in Brothersvalley Township. He was twice married. His first bride was Allegra Mae Holsopple (Nov. 22, 1917-1955) of Hollsopple, Somerset County, and the daughter of Chester M. and Cora (Snyder) Holsopple. They are believed to have produced these offspring -- Patricia Brant, Eileen Knepper and Donald May. The family resided in Brothersvalley in rural Berlin and were members of the Westmont Church of the Brethren in Johnstown, Cambria County. Wilson belonged to the Mountain Field and Stream Sportsmens Club of Roxbury. Sadly, Allegra was stricken with inoperable cancer of the ovaries which spread throughout her abdomen. She was admitted to Somerset Community Hospital where she underwent surgery on Nov. 9, 1954. She endured the operation, but it was too late. She lived for another four months but passed away on March 20, 1955, at the age of only 37. After a period of grieving, he wedded his second spouse, Lois (Peterson) Chilcot ( ? - ? ). She too had been married before and brought these children to her second marriage -- Ronald Chilcot and Karen Erisman. They remained in Hollsopple. Sadly, Wilson died in Johnstown's Memorial Hospital at the age of 66 on July 11, 1981. Rev. Herald V. Seese led the funeral service, followed by interment in Brotherton Pike Cemetery. The Somerset Daily American printed an obituary. As a widow, Lois maintained a home in Davidsville, Somerset County.

Great-granddaughter Patricia May married Charles H. Brant and made a home in 1981 in rural Somerset.

Great-granddaughter Eileen May wedded Norman Knepper and resided in the Somerset area.

Great-grandson Donald May was united in wedlock with Connie Meidel. They dwelled in 1981 in Lewisburg, Union County, PA.

  • Grandson James Milton May Sr. (1920-1979) was born on May 31, 1921 in Brotherton, Brothersvalley Township. James served in the U.S. Armed Forces during World War II. He wedded Pauline Schrock (Feb. 20, 1922-2007), daughter of Willard and Leora (Engle) Schrock of Stonycreek Township and stepdaughter of Hilda (Glessner) Schrock. Their offspring were James Milton May Jr. and Dennis W. May. After the war, they relocated to Greenville, Mercer County, PA and were members of Faith United Presbyterian Church of West Middlesex. James earned a living over the years as a mechanic employed by Cooper & Jarrett Transport Company. Pauline "enjoyed doing needlepoint and quilting," said the Somerset Daily American. James died at the age of 58 in Somerset Community Hospital on April 4, 1979. Burial was in Brotherton Pike Cemetery following funeral services preached by Rev. Paul Weber. The Daily American printed an obituary. Pauline lived as a widow for another 28 years and made a home in Berlin. She endured the death of her 28-year-old son Dennis in 1982. At the age of 84, on Jan. 3, 2007, she died as a patient in Somerset Community Hospital. Rev. Eugene Oburn officiated at the funeral service, with interment in the Pike Cemetery. The family asked that any memorial donations be made to the Youth Fund of their church.


Brotherton Pike Cemetery


Great-grandson James Milton May Jr. (1941-2018) was born on Feb. 6, 1941 in Berlin. At the age of about 21, on June 17, 1962, he was joined in wedlock with Patricia L. Maust ( ? -living). Their union lasted for 56 years until the separation of death. They produced two daughters -- Yvonne L. Miller and Susan L. May. For years, James was employed in Somerset by Agway Lawn and Garden Center, a position from which he retired. In his spare time, he rode a Honda Toldwing tricycle motorcycle, gardened, hunted and sang in the choir of the Somerset Church of the Brethren. After retirement, the couple relocated to Inverness, Citrus, FL and attended the First Christian Church. James died at home in Inverness at the age of 77 on Oct. 24, 2018. An obituary was published in the Somerset Daily American.

Great-grandson Dennis W. May (1953-1982) was born two days after Christmas 1953 in Somerset. He relocated to Greenville, Mercer County with his parents and was a graduate of Reynolds High School. On Aug. 10, 1974, he was united in matrimony with Heather L. Gilliland ( ? - ? ). Their two daughters were Melissa L. May and Amanda L. May. He was employed by Gilliland Trucking Company as a driver and belonged to the Episcopal Church of the Redeemer in Hermitage. Their home in Hermitage was at 989 South Darby Road. Dennis bore a long illness which took his life on April 4, 1982 as a patient in Sharon General Hospital. Funeral services were held in the family church, led by Rev. Samuel H. Caldwell. His remains were returned to Somerset County to rest in the Brotherton Pike Cemetery, with Rev. Eugene Sellers of the First Christian Church leading the graveside services. The Somerset Daily American printed an obituary.


Berlin IOOF Cemetery

Daughter Manda M. May (1889-1918) was born in Nov. 1889 in Berlin. She wedded Harry Llewellyn Lytle (July 31, 1885-1955), son of James and Jane E. (Gates) Lytle of Six Mile Run, Bedford County. At the age of 17, Harry had relocated to Berlin and remained there for the balance of his life. Their home was near Manda's parents in Berlin. They produced three children -- Charles Edison Lytle, Elwood Llewellyn Lytle and Evelyn C. Lytle. Tragically, Manda's health declined in the summer of 1918. She was admitted to Allegany Hospital in Cumberland, MD, and passed away there on July 13, 1918 at the age of 29. Her remains were transported to Berlin for interment. A one-sentence notice of her passing was printed in the Connellsville (PA) Daily Courier. Manda's untimely death left Harry with three young mouths to feed. To help raise the children, with Harry working as a pumper in local coal mines, Manda's younger sister Winnie moved into the household as a servant. The couple ended up marrying on Dec. 7, 1920, at Berlin, uniting themselves in wedlock. See Winnie's biography for more.

  • Grandson Charles Edison "C.E." Lytle (1907-1970) was born in 1907. He was joined in the bonds of wedlock with Helen Dixon (Dec. 16, 1917-2010), daughter of Percy I. and Mary E. (Shivie) Dixon of DuBois, Clearfield County, PA. The couple did not reproduce. They relocated circa 1940 to Wilmington, DE, where for three decades he was employed by Delmarva Power & Light Company as a supervisor. The family's address was 2505 Duncan Road, Cooper Farm. Sadly, at the age of 62, Charles died in Memorial Division on March 8, 1970 after what the Wilmington Morning News called "a short illness." An obituary also was printed in the Somerset Daily American. The remains were shipped to DuBois for funeral services and burial in Morningside Cemetery. Helen appears to have remained in Wilmington for the 40 remaining years of her life. She passed away there on Aug. 23, 2010.
  • Grandson Elwood Llewellyn Lytle (1913- ? ) was born in 1913 in Berlin. He was but a boy of five when his mother died. He earned a living as a young man as a laborer in Berlin. On July 1, 1939, he wedded 21-year-old Evelyn Marie Brant ( ? -1993), daughter of Charles Howard and Nellie Grace (Stahl) Brant of Berlin. The nuptials were held at Zion's Church parsonage in Berlin, led by Rev. F.D. Witmer. During World War II, Elwood served in the U.S. Navy and spent six months' duty in Naples, Italy. Then in 1946, after the war's end, they established a home in Baltimore, MD. They remained there into the 1990s. Sadly, Evelyn died on May 4, 1993. Burial was in Holly Hill Cemetery. A brief death notice was printed in the Baltimore Sun.
  • Granddaughter Evelyn C. Lytle (1913-1999) was born on May 26, 1913 in Berlin. She wedded Donald Earl Fogle (Oct. 11, 1911-1984), the son of Warren and Mary (Weimer) Fogle. The couple dwelled in Berlin and were the parents of Virginia Marlene Fogle, Wayne Roger Fogle, Neil Fogle, David E. Fogle and Barry G. Fogle. At some point, the couple separated, with Evelyn remaining in Berlin and Donald relocating to Ohio. Evelyn earned a living through her work for Snyder of Berlin, the famed producer of potato chips and other snacks. She belonged to the Berlin Church of the Brethren. Heartache blanketed the family on July 30, 1961 when 26-year-old son Wayne drowned accidentally. Donald dwelled in Akron, Summit County and died there at the age of 73 on Nov. 4, 1984. the body was transported back to Berlin to rest in the Independent Order of Odd Fellows Cemetery. Evelyn spent her final years in Siemon Lakeview Manor Estate. At the age of 86, she died on the last day of the Millennium, Dec. 31, 1999. Her remains were lowered into eternal sleep in the Berlin IOOF Cemetery, with Rev. Owen Preston and Rev. Ralph Landis co-officiating at the funeral. An obituary appeared in the Somerset Daily American.

Great-granddaughter Virginia Marlene Fogle (1933-1986) was born on Nov. 10, 1933. She relocated to Arlington, VA, where she worked for the Bureau of National Affairs in Washington, DC. She appears not to have married. At the age of 52, she died in Arlington on Sept. 2, 1986. Her remains repose for all time with her mother and brother David in the Berlin IOOF Cemetery. The Somerset Daily American printed an obituary.

Great-grandson Wayne Roger Fogle (1935-1961) was born on June 1, 1935 in Berlin. He made a residence in Berlin and worked as a laborer. On the fateful day of July 30, 1961, 26-year-old son Wayne and 32-year-old friend Noreen Watkins drowned accidentally. They had been on a lunch outing at a "water-filled clay strip mine pit in Brothersvalley township, about four miles east of Berlin," reported the Meyersdale Republican. Local fireman recovered the bodies in eight feet of water in the pit, operated by Svonavec Coal Company. "State police reported that there was a cut over the left eye of Fogle, leading authorities to conclude that he may have dived into the water and struck his head on a rock. It is thought that Mrs. Watkins may have tried to save him and then both drowned."

Great-grandson Neil Fogle ( ? - ? ) was born in (?). Circa 1977, he is believed to have wed Susie Shuck ( ? - ? ), daughter of John Shuck of Meyers Avenue in Meyersdale. News of the engagement was published in the Somerset Daily American. At the time of marriage, Neil worked for Lafferty Chevrolet in Berlin, while Susie was employed by Baker Chevrolet in Meyersdale. The Fogles relocated to Sterling, VA.

Great-grandson David E. Fogle (1945-2000) was born on Aug. 11, 1945 in Meyersdale. He appears to not have married nor reproduced. He served in the U.S. Army during the Vietnam War. After completing his term of service, he resided in Berlin and worked for CSX Railroad. He was a member of the Berlin post of the American Legion and the New Baltimore (PA) Sportsmen's Club. Sadly, at the age of 54, he succumbed to death in Pittsburgh's Allegheny General Hospital. Funeral services were officiated by Rev. Jay E. Shaffer, with burial following in the Berlin IOOF Cemetery. His Legion comrades and Veterans of Foreign Wars members provided additional rites at the graveside. An obituary was printed in the Somerset Daily American.

Great-grandson Barry G. Fogle ( ? - ? ) was born in (?). He served in the U.S. Army's 7th Infantry Division as a turret artillery specialist during the Vietnam War and trained in Korea, learning how to "operate under Korean winter conditions and to measure the effect of extreme cold on men and equipment," reported the Meyersdale Republican. He wedded Carol Jean Deist ( ? - ? ). They have dwelled in Berlin.

Daughter Winifred K. "Winnie" May (1892-1941) was born on Sept. 19, 1892 in Meyersdale, Somerset County. When she was age 18 in 1910, living at home, she worked at a local box factory. In 1920, still single at age 28, she worked as a servant in the home of her widowed, 34-year-old neighbor and brother-in-law Harry Llewellyn Lytle, who had three children in the household. Later that year, on Dec. 7, 1920, the 28-year-old Winnie married Lytle (July 31, 1885-1955), the son of James and Jane E. (Gates) Lytle. The couple made a home in Brothersvalley near Berlin and produced two daughters of their own, Doris Lee Smith and Altha Jackson. When the federal census enumeration was made in 1940, Harry earned a living as a road laborer. At some point, Winifred underwent surgery, and a hernia of tissue began to form on the scar. This caused an obstruction of her intestines and bowels and led to her death at the age of 49 on Jan. 5, 1941. Margaret Shaulis of Somerset signed the death certificate. Harry survived her by 14 years and maintained a home at 1412 Brubaker Street. He endured heart disease and hardening of the arteries and in June 1955 suffered a stroke. He survived the stroke but succumbed to a heart attack a month later on July 24, 1955.  Funeral services were conducted by Rev. Lyle Lichtenberger. The Meyersdale Republican printed an obituary. Son C.E. Lytle of Wilmington, DE was the informant for the death certificate. Winnie, her sister and their mutual husband rest together in the IOOF Cemetery in Berlin. [Find-a-Grave]

  • Granddaughter Doris Lee Lytle (1924-2004) was born on March 11, 1924 in Brothersvalley Township. When she was 17 years of age, on March 10, 1940, she was joined in marriage with 18-year-old laborer Herbert Alonza "Hub" Smith (April 1, 1922-1994), a Berlin resident and the son of Harry M. and Nellie L. (Hartman) Smith. Rev. N.V. Leatherman officiated at the ceremony, held in Berlin. The couple's union endured for 54 years. During World War II, Herbert served in the U.S. Army as a corporal. The Smiths stayed put in Berlin after the war and went on to bear two sons -- Paul E. Smith and James H. Smith. Herbert was self-employed over the years, owning Smith's Service Station and Herbert Smith Trucking. He was a member of the Berlin post of the Veterans of Foreign Wars, including a term as District 23 Commander. He also belonged to the Loyal Order of the Cooties. Herbert succumbed to death at the age of 72, on Sept. 7, 1994, in Sacred Heart Hospital in Cumberland, MD. Funeral services were led by Rev. Ralph G. Landis, with interment of the remains following in Mt. Lebanon Cemetery in Glencoe, Somerset County. His obituary was printed in the Somerset Daily American. As a widow, Doris remained in Berlin. Death overtook her at the age of 80, on Sept. 19, 2004, as a patient in Select Specialty Hospital in nearby Johnstown, Cambria County. A brief obituary appeared in the Somerset Daily American.

Great-grandson Paul E. Smith (1940-2014) was born on May 7, 1940 in Berlin. He spent his life in the community and was joined in wedlock with Dorothy Suhrie ( ? - ? ). Their marriage endured for 53 years. The Smiths produced a family of three -- Jeffery Smith, Gerilyn Stayrook and Keith G. Smith. Paul was a teamster and employed as a trucker by a number of businesses. In the community, he was a member of the Berlin Lion's Club, where he held the posts of zone and region chairman and was recipient of the the Pennsylvania Lions Fellow and Melvin Jones Fellow recognition. He also was known for having been a founder/charter member of the Berlin Jaycees. As well, he was a member of the Berlin troop of the Boy Scouts of America, Berlin Food Pantry, J.B. Schrock Community Park, Berlin Fire Company, Berlin Sportsman's Club and St. Gregory's Catholic Church of Macdonaldton in Brothersvalley Township. For fun, he liked to work with wood and tour Civil War battlefields. Sadly, at the age of 74, Paul died at home on Oct. 25, 2014. Rev. Daniel O'Neill led the funeral mass. Burial was with his parents at Mt. Lebanon Cemetery, Glencoe. His obituary was published in the Somerset Daily American.

Great-grandson James H. Smith ( ? - ? ) was born in (?). He wedded April Fujiwara ( ? - ? ) and relocated to Livonia, MI.

  • Granddaughter Altha Lytle (1923- ? ) was born in about 1923 in Brothersvalley near Berlin. She married (?) Jackson ( ? - ? ). The couple relocated to Baltimore and were there in 1970.


National Hotel (right)in Berlin, PA


Daughter Hilda A. May (1895- ? ) was born in Oct. 1895 in Berlin. She earned income for the family in 1920 as a sales lady in what's believed to have been the Dull Mercantile Store in Berlin. On Sept. 15, 1921, when she was 25 years of age, Hilda wedded her co-worker, store manager Jeremiah G. "Jerry" Smith (1873-1941), son of George and Elizabeth (Ruby) Smith. Rev. G.W. Ringer, pastor of the Berlin Methodist Episcopal Church, officiated at the ceremony held at the home of Hilda's parents in Goodtown. An article about the wedding appeared in the Meyersdale Republican. Hilda was 22 years younger than her spouse. The couple bore two known offspring, Glenda M. Smith and Glenson J. Smith. In 1930-1940, the United States Census shows the family residing in the town of Grey in Jenners Township, Somerset County, with Jeremiah earning a living as a salesman in a branch of the Dull Mercantile store. Suffering from cancer of the rectum at age 68, Jeremiah underwent surgery in January 1941 which led to an abscess. He succumbed two months later on March 12, 1941. His remains were placed into repose in Mt. Zion Cemetery in Somerset. Circa 1953, Hilda dwelled in Washington, DC.

  • Grandson (?) Smith (1923- ? ) was born in 1923.
  • Grandson Glenson J. "Glen" Smith (1924- ? ) was born in about 1924.


Copyright 2016-2018, 2020 Mark A. Miner

Research for this page graciously shared by the late Olive (Rowan) Duff and the late Donna May brothers image courtesy Suzanne (Smith) Chutis.