Mary Elizabeth (Smith) Kreegar was born on June 6, 1841 in Somerset County, PA, the daughter of Eli and Mary "Polly" (Younkin) Smith.
She was very young when her father died and was about four when her mother wedded a second time to Aaron Schrock.
Mary grew up in the Schrock household in Middlecreek Township, Somerset County. Circa 1860, at the age of 19, she was listed by the census-taker as a "domestic."
On Jan. 31, 1865, she married Civil War Ephraim Smith Kreegar Sr. (Aug. 22, 1842-1910), son of John "Dietrich" and Sarah (Shaulis/Shawley) Kreger, the father an immigrant from Germany. Rev. Josiah Zimmerman, an old preacher of the Evangelical Lutheran Church of New Centerville, officiated at the wedding, held in the residence of H. Kreegar in New Lexington. Among those in attendance were Mary Minder and Ephraim's cousin William S. Kregar.
The family name also has been spelled "Craiger" and "Kreger." The couple produced at least eight children -- Norman Kreeger, Harriet Jenny Reddick, Ursina Bella Jahnig, Dora Ellen Gibson, Bessie M. Tarno, Mary E. Swartzlander, Ira Franklin "Frank" Kreeger and Ephraim Smith Kreeger Jr.
Ephraim stood 5 feet, 10 inches tall, with blue eyes, sandy hair and a fair complexion. Prior to the Civil War, in 1859, the teenage Ephraim traveled to Athens County, OH to work for his uncle Aaron Shawley performing "grubbing" -- removing trees and overgrowth. When he raised his mattock to swing, he wrote, "it was caught by a grape vine, causing the mattock to strike into my left foot, almost severing my left great toe and cutting into the second toe, and into the ball of my foot, part of the bone of the great toe was cut off."
During the Civil War, the 19-year-old Ephraim joined the Union Army at Somerset on Sept. 4, 1861. He was given the rank of private with the 54th Pennsylvania Infantry, Company C. In late August 1863, he became ill with syphilis and was treated in the regimental hospital in camp. By Sept. 26, not progressing, he was sent to the U.S. General Hospital in Cumberland, MD, where he appears to have remained until about Nov. 4. He received a discharge at Harpers Ferry, WV on Sept. 3, 1864.
The young family first made a home in a community which was laid out in 1868 as "Ursina." Ephraim is recognized as having built the first house in the town, also in 1868, and then using it as a hotel. When a daughter was born that year, she was named "Ursina" in the town's honor.
Federal census enumeration records for 1870 show the Kreger family in Ursina, where Ephraim contniued to keep the hotel. Their post office at the time was Somerfield. Making a home in their household in 1870 were 19-year-old domestic servant Nancy Younkin, 26-year-old railroad contractor Samuel R. Johnson and 19-year-old laborer Christopher Beisinger.
During the decade of the 1870s, the family relocated to Butler County, PA, where they made a home in Greece City, Concord Township and in 1880 Ephraim earned a living as a laborer. Then by the second day of the new year in 1881, he obtained working cutting cord wood in Warren County, PA. He was injured again, he said, "as I was splitting a block of wood, the block standing on end, the axe went through, striking the left top of my left ankle, cutting deeply into my ankle and cutting off the tendons." Dr. O.P. Pisor was called to treat him, and "found the tendons of the four lesser toes all cut off," he wrote in 1895. "The tendons never united and I find the toes have no motion."
He also worked on local oil wells in Butler County, and was hurt one day in about 1884 when lightning struck the derrick, "tearing it to pieces, and giving me a severe shock," he recalled. "I was unconscious for three of four hours." Ever after, he experienced numbness in his legs and ankles.
In April 1892, Ephraim was awarded a military pension. [Invalid App. #1.103.523 - Cert. #848.923] He was active in veterans' affairs and a member of Butler's Veteran Legion.
Ephraim was hurt at work once more in September 1892 when cutting corn for Fred Bauer. He injured his left arm or wrist and was unable to provide labor after that.
In August 1895, Ephraim made news in the Butler Citizen when he caught three rattlesnakes in his field of oats. He placed them in large glass gars and advertised them for sale for a dollar apiece. Said the Citizen, "Last year he made $18 out of rattle snakes." While trying to bag a rattler in August 1904, he was bitten and, reported the Citizen, "has a sore hand." He also raised cattle and made money selling yearling Jersey heifers.
He also leased part of his farm in 1896 to the drilling firm of Vance, Frantz & Co. Seeking oil, the drillers hit water at the fourth sand level and deepened their efforts to the fifth level.
Ephraim once again was in the news in late May 1901 when hail storms and a cloudburst devastated local farms. At the time, he was a tenant farmer working for John Thompson, and lost a field of grain and fruit trees.
He acquired the Markel grocery store in Greece City in May 1905.
Burdened with heart valve disease, he passed away at home in Greece City on Aug. 11, 1910, just 11 days shy of his 68th birthday. Funeral services were held in the Kreegar home, attended by members of the Legion and Grand Army of the Republic. Rev. Ibach and Rev. McSherry co-officiated. Burial was in Zion Lutheran Cemetery in Chicora, Butler County. His grave was marked with a standard-issue military gravestone, but the name was misspelled "Kreegar." [Find-a-Grave]
Now widowed, Mary Elizabeth began receiving her late husband's pension. [Widow App. #948.978 - Cert. #711.950] Among those neighbors and friends providing affidavits in support of her claim were W.P. Brown of Butler and Legion member Oliver C. Redic and former Somerset County neighbors Cyrus B. Moore and John J. McMillen.
Her final years were spent living with her daughter Bessie at 237 Oak Street in Butler, Butler County, PA. Having suffered a stroke of apoplexy, she died at the age of 78 on Aug. 27, 1919. Interment was in Zion Cemetery. Daughter Bessie was the informant for the certificate of death.
Son Norman B. Kregar (1867- ? ) was born on April 13, 1866 or May 9, 1867 in Lower Turkeyfoot Township, Somerset County. Records of his birthdate differ. In the spring of 1889, when he was age 22, he married Bella Wick ( ? - ? ), daughter of John Turner and Katherine Wick. They were the parents of Arthur Ray Kregar, Ernest L. Kregar, Bessie Kregar, Nicholas Kregar and Twila Kregar. The family dwelled in the early 1900s in Chicora, Butler County. Heartache blanketed the family twice in 1907. Bella went through a difficult labor with an infant son, and the baby asphyxiated and was stillborn. That same year, their one-year-old son Arthur was diagnosed with blindness. Tragedy followed the next year, on Aug. 31, 1908, when young Andrew received fatal burns when pulling a cloth and lighted lamp from a table. His clothing ignited, and even as his mother tried to put out the flames, both were burned, the son horifically and whose life lasted only three hours before the Angel of Death carried him away. The family grieved again in January 1913 when 19-year-old son Ernest was stricken with a cerebral abscess and died in Butler County General Hospital. Funeral services were held in the Wick home with burial taking place in Zion Cemetery. Bella must have been shaken quite deeply in December 1913 when keeping house for the John Curry family in the New Castle area. While at dinner, the 68-year-old Curry choked on a piece of meat. Bella called Curry's wife, who was blind, and was told to "beat him on the back," said the New Castle Herald. But "before either of the women could reach him, he walked across the floor to a lounge where he lay down and was dead almost immediately." Bella's residence in 1914 was in Ellwood City, Lawrence County, PA. As had his brother and brothers-in-law a few years before, Norman went to Oklahoma to work in the oilfields in the autumn of 1914. Back home, the specter of death haunted the family once more when 13-year-old daughter Bessie contracted spinal meningitis and died on Nov. 3, 1914 in the home of her uncle George Wick of Ellwood City. Funeral services were held in the Concord Township residence of the girl's grandmother Katherine Wick, led by Rev. C.E. Houk of the Concord Presbyterian Church. Her remains were placed into repose in Zion Lutheran Church Cemetery. How any parent could have sustained so much repeated emotional injury over the years without after-effects cannot be measured. What is known is that Bella sued Norman for divorce in July 1917 in Lawrence County Court. She told court officials that she had "stayed on the job for twenty years" but that in November 1909, her husband "suddenly departed since which time the two have lived apart and he has contributed nothing to her support." News of the claim was printed in the New Castle News. Clues hint that Norman may have invested more than $950 to buy four town lots in Haskell, OK. In April 1918, with World War I aflame in Europe, he was taken into custody by federal officials and brought from the oilfields into the town of Boynton. His purported crime was having "made bitter statements against the government and to have expressed the hope that Germany will win the war," said the Muskogee (OK) Daily Phoenix. "His arrival at the federal jail was greeted with jeers as 'number three of the kaiser kissers'." Later that year, in October 1918, Bella was slightly injured by a streetcar of the Harmony Car Line when crossing the tracks near Ellwood City. She "was blinded by the light of the car, being struck before she had time to get out of the way," noted the Herald. "Only the fact that the car was going so slowly saved her life."
Daughter Harriet "Jennie" Kreger (1867-1915) was born on May 5, 1867 in Lower Turkeyfoot Township, Somerset County. In about June 1905, when she was 38 years of age, she married 51-year-old farmer James C. Reddick (Sept. 17, 1849-1927), son of John and Martha (Wick) Reddick. News of their marriage license application was printed in the Butler Citizen. The copule bore one known daughter, Mary J. Reddick. When the federal census was taken in 1910, the Reddicks lived on a farm along the Butler to Emlenton Road. Their home in 1915 was in Washington Township, Butler County. Sadly, suffering from cancer of the rectum for three years, she became seriously ill in the spring of 1915, described as "stomach trouble" by a local newspaper. She died at the age of 49 on Aug. 2, 1915. Her remains were lowered into repose in Concord Church Cemetery, with a brief funeral notice printed in the Citizen. James survived his wife by a dozen years. On the fateful day of Aug. 5, 1927, while on the commode at home, he suffered a stroke of apoplexy and died immediately. Interment was in Concord Cemetery.
Daughter Ursina Bella Kreger (1868-1935) was born on Dec. 13, 1868, the first child to be born in the town for which she was named, Ursina, Lower Turkeyfoot Township, Somerset County. When she was a girl, she joined her family in a migration to Butler County, PA. At the age of about 17, in 1886, Ursina wedded 22-year-old German immigrant August W. Jahnig (March 14, 1863-1930), son of Carol and Christinia (Herald) Jahnig, pronounced "Yah-nig." August had emigrated from Frankenburg, Saxony, Germany at the age of about three in 1867. They became the parents of seven children, among them Charles F. Jahnig, Dora C. Jahnig, William Cleveland Jahnig, Mary Elizabeth Carter, Edna Myrtle Wetzel, Viola Magdalene Burnham and Novella Antoinette Ehrman Carrier. The family lived in rural Buffalo Township near Saxonburg, Butler County, with August making a living as a farmer and lumberman. The Jahnigs' residence in 1930 was on Water Street in Saxonburg. August was stricken with pernicious anemia in about 1929 and lingered for a year before death at age 67 on July 15, 1930. William C. Jahnig of 226 Muntz Avenue in Butler signed the death certificate. Ursina outlived her husband by five years. She suffered a cerebral hemorrhage and died in Our Lady of Woods Hospital in Donegal, Butler County on Jan. 30, 1935, at the age of 66. Burial was in Saxonburg Cemetery.
Daughter Dora Ellen Kreger (1873-1928) was born on Sept. 13, 1873. She was united in holy matrimony with Martin "Luther" Gibson (Oct. 14, 1858-1926), son of David and Mary (Smith) Gibson and a native of Washington Township, Butler County. Luther made a living as a laborer. Their home in the mid-1920s was at 331 Mercer Street in Butler. Sadly, while bearing gangrene of his right foot, Martin underwent surgery on Feb. 1, 1926. Just three days later, post-surgery, he was stricken with a brain embolism and passed into eternity at the age of 67 on Feb. 4, 1926. Burial was in South Side Cemetery. She died three days after Christmas 1928. Her remains rest in Butler County Memorial Park and Mausoleum.
Daughter Bessie M. Kreger (1876-1939) was born on March 27, 1876 in Butler County. She was joined in wedlock with Ammon Aaron Tarno (1877-1957). They produced two children -- Merle "Lee" Tarno and Helen Mary Harrison. Their home in the 1930s was with their son Lee at 1005 Center Avenue in Butler, Butler County. Afflicted with inflammation of the lining of her arteries, she underwent amputation of her left leg in late November 1939. Post-surgery, she is believed to have suffered a pulmonary embolism and died at the age of 63 on Dec. 2, 1939. Son Lee signed her death certificate. Burial was in North Cemetery in Butler.
Daughter Mary E. Kreger (1878- ? ) was born on May 3, 1878. If her middle name was Edna, she was joined in wedlock on New Year's Eve 1900 with Philip Swartzlander ( ? - ? ). A short article about the wedding, in the Butler Citizen, called him "a young tool dresser of Chicora." Philip is known to have worked as an oil driller on the farm of Josiah Byers of Modoc. Byers brought a lawsuit against Philip circa 1907 for "throwing steel and pieces of broken tools into a well drilling on Byers' farm, with the result that the tools were stuck and lost," reported the Butler Citizen. The case ended when Byers could not pay court costs. In the winter of 1909, Philip and his brothers-in-law Ammon Tarno and Ephraim S. Kregar Jr. went to Oklahoma to work in the oilfields.
Son Ira Franklin "Frank" Kregar (1881-1953) was born on Jan. 23 or 26, 1881 in Greece City, Concord Township, Butler County. He was a longtime farmer. Ira married Alberta Hannah "Bertha" Elliott (Jan. 22, 1878-1958), daughter of John Addison and Isabella "Belle" (Michael) Elliott. In the early 1950s, they lived on a farm in rural Oakland Township, Butler County, along Route 38. Bertha became an invalid in about 1928 and remained so for the last 30 years of her life. Among her sufferings were gangrene of the left foot and multiple ulcers. At the age of 72, three days before Christmas 1953, while working on a roadway project seven miles north of the county seat of Butler, Frank was felled by a heart attack, collapsed and died. His remains rest for all time in Zion Cemetery in Concord Township. Bertha lived for another five years and succumbed on May 29, 1958.
Son Ephraim Smith Kregar Jr. (1884-1933) was born on March 23, 1884 in Butler County. He was twice married. His first bride was Nettie Louise Voland Osterling ( ? - ? ), who were wedded on May 22, 1905. In the winter of 1909, he secured employment in the oil fields of Oklahoma along with brothers in law Ammon Tarno and Phil Swartzlander. Reported the Butler Citizen, "Their families will join them in about a month." In a twist, Nettie filed for divorce in August 1911, and it was granted the following month. Later, he wedded Marie Gierke ( ? - ? ). They made a home in Erie, Erie County, PA, where Ephraim was employed as a streetcar conductor. They went on to produce a son, Richard Alfred Kregar, who sadly died of heart valve disease and endocarditis at the age of 14 on Valentine's Day 1927. At the age of 49, Ephraim suffered heart failure and died on Aug. 19, 1933 in Erie. Burial was in North East Cemetery in Erie County.
When Ursina celebrated its centennial event in 1972, a story in the Meyersdale Republican acknowledged Ephraim as having built the first house in the town.
~ Stepdaughter Caroline (Schrock) Lynn ~
Stepdaughter Caroline Schrock (1826-1885) was born on March 12, 1826 in Middlecreek Township, Somerset County, PA, the daughter of Aaron and Catherine (Meyers) Schrock and stepdaughter of Mary "Polly" (Younkin) Smith.
She was age 14 when her mother died and 19 when her father remarried.
When she was about 21 years of age, in 1847, Caroline married William J. "W.J." Lynn (1822-1878).
The couple produced these known children -- Aaron Lynn, Mary J. "Jennie" Courter, Harriet Lynn, George W. Lynn, Amanda Permelia Halling, John S. Lynn, Amos Rittenhouse Lynn, Bell Lynn and Annie Lynn.
Circa 1864-1867, the Lynns made the momentous decision to migrate west to Iowa. They first went to Illinois, where their daughter Annie was born in 1867. Within a few years, by 1870, they settled on a farm in or near Liberty, Clarke County, IA, where they seem to have remained for good.
William's precise fate is not yet known, but he is believed to have died in 1878.
Caroline passed away at the age of 58 on Jan. 22, 1885. Burial was in Bethel Chapel Cemetery in Liberty. [Find-a-Grave]
Son Aaron Lynn (1849- ? ) was born in about 1849 in Pennsylvania.
Daughter Mary J. "Jennie" Lynn (1850-1941) was born in 1850. She married Tunis Courter ( ? - ? ). She died in 1941. [Find-a-Grave]
Daughter Harriet Lynn (1852- ? ) was born in about 1852 in Pennsylvania.
Daughter Amanda Permelia Lynn (1855-1920) was born in about 1855 in Pennsylvania. At the age of 25, unmarried, she lived with her parents in Liberty and performed housekeeping. She wedded Mathies E. Halling ( ? - ? ). She passed away in 1920. [Find-a-Grave]
Son John S. Lynn (1857- ? ) was born in about 1857 in Pennsylvania.
Son George W. Lynn (1860-1927) was born in 1860 in Pennsylvania. He was a longtime farmer. He died in Liberty in 1927. [Find-a-Grave]
Son Amos Rittenhouse Lynn (1862-1936) was born in 1862 in Pennsylvania. He grew up as a farmer and at age 18 lived at home and helped his father with farmwork. He wedded May M. (1870-1958). He passed into eternity in Liberty on April 4, 1936. [Find-a-Grave]
Daughter Bell Lynn (1864- ? ) was born in about 1864 in Pennsylvania.
Daughter Anna "Annie" Lynn (1867- ? ) was born in about 1867 in Illinois.
~ Stepson Edward Morgan Schrack ~
Stepson Edward Morgan Schrock (1828-1912) was born on Oct. 8, 1828 in Somerset County, PA, the son of Aaron and Catherine (Meyers) Schrock and stepson of Mary "Polly" (Younkin) Smith.
He was age 12 when her mother died and 17 when his father married a second time. Edward spelled his last name with the "a" in adulthood.
At the age of 18, he was a school teacher but then went into the merchant business. Said the 1906 History of Bedford and Somerset Counties, "He was a representative for Somerset county in the legislature for two terms, and prothonotary for one term. He held two commissions in the army during the Civil war, one as captain and one as major. At present (1906) he is a resident of Seattle, Washington."
He married Lydia Weigle (May 6, 1842-1917), daughter of Jacob J. and Sarah (Raymond) Weigle.
During the war, he joined the 133rd Pennsylvania Infantry, Company D.
He eventually received a military pension. [Invalid App. #924.367 - Cert. #787.346]
Edward died in Seattle on Oct. 12, 1912. Burial was in the Grand Army of the Republic Cemetery. [Find-a-Grave]
After Edward's passing, Lydia was granted his pension. [Widow App. #995.859 - Cert. 758.478] Sometime after September 1916, she returned to her native Somerset County with her home in Brothersvalley Township.
On Aug. 2, 1917, afflicted with heart valve disease and fluid buildup in her lungs, Lydia was swept away by the Grim Reaper at the age of 75. K.B. Coffroth of Pittsburgh was the informant for her official Pennsylvania certificate of death. Her remains were lowered into repose in Husband Cemetery in Somerset.
~ Stepson Captain Amos Schrock ~
Stepson Amos Schrock (1832-1905) was born on Leap Day 1832 in Somerset County, PA, the son of Aaron and Catherine (Meyers) Schrock and stepson of Mary "Polly" (Younkin) Smith.
He was age eight when her mother died and 13 when his father re-married.
Unmarried at the age of 18, in 1850, he worked as a clerk and boarded in the household of merchant John R. and Catharine King in Milford Township, Somerset County.
Noted the the 1906 History of Bedford and Somerset Counties, he "was a manufacturer of and dealer in house furniture in Chicago for the greater part of his life. He died at the age of seventy-three years. He also held two commissions during the Civil war, as an army officer." As an adult, he stood 5 feet, 9 inches tall, with a fair complexion, dark hair and blue eyes, and weighed 136 lbs.
Amos' first wife was Naomi Miller (1835-1861).
The couple produced two known children -- Isabella "Belle" Schrock and William Amos Schrock. They relocated to Chicago sometime between the births of their daughter in 1854 and son in 1858. The family is enumerated in Chicago in the 1860 federal census.
Grief cascaded over the young family when Naomi died in Chicago on June 13, 1861.
During the war, Amos joined the Union Army and served in the 133rd Pennsylvania Infantry, Company D, commanded by his brother Edward. When the brother was promoted to major, Amos was named captain. He took part in the bloody battle of Fredericksburg in mid-December 1862, part of the wave after wave of Union troops trying unsuccessfully to gain Marye's Heights. He was struck by a piece of shell on the right arm below the elbow. He was taken to Carver Hospital in Washington DC where the wound was treated and he spent two weeks. He was ordered to return to his regiment two days before Christmas 1862. He never recovered full use of the limb.
Then on a forced march from Falmouth to Chancellorsville, VA in late April 1863 when he contracted a severe case of diarrhea. He attributed the attack to "severe exposure [to bad weather] and fatigue, sleeping on damp ground and fording the Rapidan and heavy forced march." He received medication from the regiment's surgeon. Orderly sergeant Chauncey A. Brant of Shanksville helped him to ford the Rapidan River by helping him onto his horse so he could ride and then leading the horse across. Amos was so exhausted afterward that he had to lay down on the riverbank for relief. He somehow found his strength and took part in the three-day battle at Chancellorsville, although ailing the entire time. He later told physicians that during the fight, "I was on the battle field two days, was not wounded but was sick."
He also became ill with catarrh (excessive mucus of the throat and nose) and bronchial problems, and lost some hearing. Amos was honorably discharged at Harrisburg, PA on May 26, 1863, three-plus weeks after the Chancellorsville battle ended.
After returning home to Somerset County, he dwelled in Shanksville. During that time, he married again, to Annie Schrock (1845- ? ), daughter of (?) Schrock. The wedding was held at New Centerville. Amos was 13 years older than his bride.
Amos and Annie bore three additional children of their own -- Harry Schrock, Minnie Schrock and Burton Schrock.
In July 1868, the Schrocks relocated to Franklin Grove, IL, remaining less than two years until February 1870. They moved to Monroe, Greene County, WI. The United States Census of 1870 lists the family in Monroe, with Amos working as a clerk in a dry goods store and Anna generating income as a milliner.
The family in March 1872 migrated into the city of Chicago, where Amos acquired a furniture upholstery store. Among his employees in the store were Henry C. Green and Frederick Zimmerman. He also saw wholesale baker S.E.W. Martin almost every day.
In August 1879, he was granted a military pension as compensation for his wartime ailments. [Invalid App. #302.502 - Cert. #184.063] When examined by surgeon Henry S. Kimmell, his right hand and forearm were found to be weakened, with the ring finger tendon thick and rigid, drawing the finger toward the arm, causing a deformity. Amos claimed that the pain caused him constant suffering and sleepless nights and prevented him from doing normal manual labor. In fact, he said, his entire right side was relatively useless. He tried to obtain a raise in his pension circa 1897, with Joseph Schrock and S.D. Forquer of Ursina, Somerset County, witnessing his signature on the paperwork.
Amos and Annie made a home in Chicago at 350 West Madison Street and later at 623 West Monroe Street. In early 1891, the husband-and-wife incorporated the Schrock Furniture company, worth $10,000 in capital stock, for the purpose of manufacturing sofa beds and upholstery. The news was announced in the Chicago Tribune.
Sadly, Annie died in their Chicago residence on Aug. 1, 1899. A short death notice was printed in the Tribune, and reprinted in the Somerset Herald.
His address in 1901 was 318 West Madison Street, Chicago. That year, he received a check for $6 every month from the U.S. Pension Office. At year-end 1901, he relocated to Oakland, Alameda County, CA, where he shared a home with one of his sons at 1503 12th Street.
In the spring of 1902, he returned to his old home in Somerset County and married for a third time, on April 22, 1902 to Mary Jane (Auman) Hicks ( ? - ? ). Rev. Hiram King officiated. News of their marriage license was published in the Meyersdale (PA) Republic.
The newlyweds apparently relocated to Oakland, reputedly, said the Somerset Daily American, to "escape the severe climate conditions of Somerset." They were expected to come back to Somerset, but "on account of some important changes his son -- who is a wholesale furniture dealer -- was making at his establishment Mr. Schrock remained to assist in the work." In August 1903, he received a U.S. patent for a detachable collapsible couch frame.
The Angel of Death gathered Amos away without warning at the age of 73 on June 10, 1905. His death occurred at the Central Livery Stables, while seated in his buggy, preparing for what the Oakland Tribune called "his customary afternoon drive. One of the employees of the stable noticed that the man did not give any signs for the horse to move, so he went up to the buggy and found that he was dead. The death of Capt. Schrock was a great shock to his family as he was apparently in the best of health." The Alameda County Coroner held an inquisition over the body, with seven other citizens present, and found that death was caused by acute enlargement of the heart.
His remains were shipped to Chicago to rest with his first wife in Graceland Cemetery. [Find-a-Grave] News of his death was announced in the Tribune and Watertown (WI) News. The Tribune listed his other surviving children as Mrs. W.A. Hall and Burton Schrock of Chicago.
Mary applied for, but was not granted, her late husband's pension. [Widow App. #839.029]
A detailed history of the 133rd Pennsylvania, naming Amos and his brother Edward, was printed in the Pittsburgh Dispatch on Feb. 4, 1900 and reprinted in the Meyersdale Republic on Sept. 1, 1932.
Daughter Isabella Schrock (1854- ? ) was born in about 1854 in Somerset County, PA.
Son William Amos Schrock (1858-1949?) was born in about 1858 in Chicago. He wedded Etta Hammer (1870-1940). The couple bore one daughter, Etta Bancel. They made a home in East Oakland, CA in 1901-1905 at the address of 1503 12th Street. Continuing in his father's line of business, William owned what the San Francisco Call said was an "extensive furniture plant." Known as the California Furniture Factory, it consisted of several one-story buildings located over the sprawl of five acres in the town of Richmond near Oakland. Reported the San Francisco Chronicle, "The eucalyptus furniture being turned out by the plant is to be used in furnishing the Claremont Hotel when it is opened. The wood, as a coincidence, comes from Berkeley, being the logs from the forest back of Cragmont that is being felled by the Havens interests." As his business grew, newspapers reported that he was a "man of considerable means." He also was a longtime member of the Alcatraz Lodge of the Masons. Etta was a celebrity in her own right, hosting scores of elaborate dances, parties and luncheons over the years, with her name regularly printed in newspaper society columns. William died in Alameda County, CA at the age of 82 on Aug. 30, 1939. (His grave marker has a death year of "1940.") A death notice was printed in the Oakland Tribune, saying he was a "native of Pennsylvania." Funeral services were held in Truman's Chapel at the corner of Telegraph Avenue and 30th Street in Oakland. Etta outlived her husband by two decades. She joined him in death in 1960. They repose in Mountain View Cemetery in Oakland.
Son Harry Schrock (1863- ? ) was born in about 1863 in Somerset County, PA.
Daughter Minnie Schrock (1864- ? ) was born on Nov. 12, 1864.
Son Dr. Burton Schrock (1871- ? ) was born on July 7, 1871 in Monroe, Greene County, WI. Circa July 1897, he is known to have served as an usher for the Chicago wedding of Charlotte Sears and Claude Dillie Stephens. He became a dentist and operated a practice on West Lake Street in Chicago circa 1905. With a residence in the Chicago suburb of Oak Park, he and Mabel Stark ( ? -1965) applied for a marriage license in June 1905, as noted on the pages of the Chicago Inter-Ocean. She was the daughter of Andrew and Susan M. Stark of 2826 Washington Boulevard. On their honeymoon in July 1905, they stopped in Somerset to see relatives. Mabel was an officer with the Matheon Club in Oak Park circa 1943. Mabel passed away at the age of 90 in June 1965, with burial in Forest Home Cemetery. A death notice appeared in the Chicago Tribune.
~ Stepson Capt. William Meyers Schrock ~
Stepson Capt. William Meyers Schrock (1837-1929) was born on Aug. 19, 1837 in near the village of New Lexington in Somerset County, PA, the son of Aaron and Catherine (Meyers) Schrock and stepson of Mary "Polly" (Younkin) Smith.
He was only three years of age when his mother died and eight when his father married again.
As a young man, William joined the Disciples of Christ Church, established in Somerset County by his step-mother's brother, Dr. Jonas Younkin.
He was pictured and extensively profiled in the 1906 book, History of Bedford and Somerset Counties, in part for some remarkable experiences during his young manhood. The entry reads:
He was educated in the public schools of his native township, and in addition had the benefit of six months' attendance at a collegiate institute in Somerset Pennsylvania. At the early age of sixteen years he commenced to teach in the public schools, and assisted his father on the farm and in the blacksmith shop until he was eighteen years of age. He then obtained a position in a country store, and a year later, early in 1859, went with four companions to the west. They started with a three-yoke ox team and a supply of provisions to least them six months. They crossed the plains, then known as the Great American desert, in search of gold at Pike's Peak. In this search they were as unsuccessful as so many thousands of others, and Mr. Schrock returned to Somerset later in the same year, a bankrupt in money and worldly good, but rich in experience and knowledge of the then wild west. The exposure, suffering and misery of hundreds of people were heart-rending in the extreme. He again took up the work of a clerk in a store.
Back home, on Dec. 9 or 10, 1859, the 22-year-old William was joined in wedlock with 19-year-old school teacher Mary E. Foy (Sept. 6, 1840-1912), daughter of Rev. George and Sarah Catherine (Shank) Foy. Her father was a Methodist clergyman who had migrated to Somerset County from Lebanon County, PA.
Mary taught public school from age 16 to age 19, stepping down because schools at the time forbade the employment of married women teachers.
The couple went on to produce nine children -- Clora Barnett, twins Ella "Ellie" Lutz and Caroline Lucretia "Carrie" Lambert, Aaron F. Schrock, Julia M. Staniford, twins Minnie Hostetler and Lillie Schrock (the latter of whom died in infancy), Susan Walker and Foy Schrock (who passed away at age five in about 1883 or 1884).
During the heart of the Civil War in 1863, responding to President Lincoln's call for more voluntary enlistments, William was living in New Centerville, Somerset County. Within a week, he recruited 80 men to serve in a local company. Initially known as Capt. Schrock's Independent Company of Volunteer Infantry, it later became part of Company H of Ramsey's Battalion, Pennsylvania Infantry. The Somerset Daily American once said that "It was the only occasion during the course of the Civil War that any unit was mustered within the area of Somerset County." The infantry remained in New Centerville until July 6, 1863, following the Battle of Gettysburg, when they marched to Berlin and received weapons. They were ordered to report to Huntingdon, PA, and then served on provost duty during a military draft. In early September 1863, recounted the History of Bedford and Somerset Counties, Pennsylvania, the company marched to Harrisburg and then Gettysburg:
...where they guarded the field hospital on the battlefield until it was dispensed with in the latter part of October. This company was also in active service at Lewisburg, Sunbury and Selins Grove. From December 11, 1863 until January 8, 1864, the Somerset company was in charge of the Soldiers' Retreat at Harrisburg, where frequently rations were provided for from five hundred to one thousand soldiers who dropped off from trains at meal times. The company was mustered out January 8, 1864.
Seven months later, with the war continuing without an end in sight, he helped create another fighting body. This time it was Company K of the 5th Pennsylvania Heavy Artillery, again as described in the History of Bedford and Somerset:
During the month of August, 1864, Mr. Schrock again assisted in recruiting a company, this time of one hundred men, and was chosen captain, on arriving at the place of rendezvous, which was at Pittsburg. Here an artillery regiment which was in process of formation lacked a company with the requisite number of men, one hundred and forty-four. A veteran officer had forty men under his charge and expressed his willingness to join forces with Captain Schrock's company if the captaincy were given to him. Mr. Schrock resigned his command in favor of this veteran, and accepted a lieutenancy in the same company. Soon after reaching the fortifications at Washington, where the regiment had been ordered, Mr. Schrock succumbed to the strain of his overwork, and was stricken with fever and sent to the hospital, where he was obliged to remain for two months, and was finally discharged from the Georgetown Seminary Hospital as being incapacitated for further active service. This was January 2, 1865.
After his honorable discharge, he returned home to his wife and family in Somerset. In 1870, with eldest brother, Edward, he established the Somerset Standard, a paper which was popular and influential for several years and later merged with another newspaper. The paper was printed every Friday, with annual subscriptions costing $2, paid in advance. Single copies in wrappers could be purchased in the office for a nickel. The Standard's motto was "Let the truth be our dictator." The pages contained nine columns, 22 inches wide, and advertisements were laid out down the left-hand column.
William was a charter member and adjustant of the Robert P. Cummins Post of the Grand Army of the Republic, a veterans' welfare organization. Among the Post's accomplishments was the erection of the Civil War soldiers' monument at the county courthouse. Active in public affairs, he servd as a viewer (inspector) of bridges in the county for decades and as Somerset Borough tax collector in the 1890s. At one point, for six years, he was the clerk for the Somerset County Commissioners.
As compensation for his wartime ailments, William was awarded a soldier's pension in April 1879. He received monthly government checks for the rest of his long life. [Invalid App. #276.814 - Cert. #170.688]
William also was a surveyor and in 1905 is known to have helped plan for a new road from the Shanksville and New Baltimore Road to the Stoystown-Bedford Road. He won even more public acclaim in the winter of 1908-1909 when he transferred maps and plots of town tracts into one centralized book. This work was praised in the Cumberland (MD) Evening Times as "an innovation in Somerset county and all the attorneys say that it is a great convenience."
In her own right, Mary owned a millinery store in Somerset during the 1880s, said the Connellsville (PA) Daily Courier, "when her establishment was one of the most fashionable in the county."
In 1904, William and son-in-law, John A. Lambert re-started the Standard, and after several years stepped aside so that Lambert could continue independently.
The Schrocks celebrated their golden wedding anniversary in December 1909. All five of their living adult daughters attended, with a story printed in the Pittsburgh Daily Post.
Continuing his work in the road and bridge field, he served as superintendent of bridge construction for the county in 1909-1910. He made news in January 1910 when writing "a scathing report regarding the condition of a number of bridges in which he severely censures contractors for negligence," said the Courier, "and the Grand Jury for not allowing the construction of new bridges at several points where old structures have become unsafe. The report states that one contractor for the work of repainting a number of bridges grossly neglected his work and violated his contract in that he did not paint the lower part of the bridge, where paint protection from the weather is most needed.... Capt. Schrock states that within recent years there have been erected a number of bridges in which railroad iron piers with make-shift abutments, that the iron has bent and sagged rendering these bridges highly unsafe."
At the age of 71, Mary suffered from diabetes and developed an abscess of the throat. When the infection became toxic, her health plummeted and she died on June 25, 1912. Burial was in the Husband Cemetery, with Rev. J.D. Garrison officiating. Obituaries were printed in the Pittsburgh Press as well as more local newspapers.
William outlived his wife by a number of years. He remained involved in public matters and enjoyed traveling across the nation he had helped preserve. The January after his wife's death, he is known to have vacationed in Hot Springs, AR and thence to the West Coast to see his daughter Ella Lutz in Irvington, CA and brother Edward and family in Seattle.
Circa February 1914, maintained a government weather station in Somerset which measured snowfall and rain levels. He marked his 79th birthday in September 1916 with a party at his home for fellow members of the Robert P. Cummins Post of the Grand Army of the Republic. The Republic ran a story, saying that "Headed by the host, the veterans marched to the H.W. Walker company's icecream parlor, where icecream and cake were served. The parlor was appropriately decorated with flags and bunting -- the colors these men helped to preserve -- and with each plate of cream a miniature flag was furnished, and later worn by the soldiers. It is needless toadd that the time passed all too rapidly, for the guests were once again boys together, having a splendid time."
When celebrating his 83rd birthday in 1920, at a dinner for family, he gave cigars to the men and envelopes with crisp dollar bills to his three daughters. In a related story, the Standard said that "It is a pleasure to note that Captain Schrock's health has not broken, that his step is as active as that of a boy, and that his interest in the affairs of the G.A.r. and in public matters is unabated. On Friday, he motored twenty miles to perform a surveying job, and so it has been with him for a number of years. He has been keeping himself young in practice, and fit physically, by engaging in ouit-door activities, though very frequently he performs work that would be very tiring and exhausting to persons much younger than himself."
William and Jonas J. Beachy were among several elderly men from Pennsylvania who were honored in 1921 as pioneers of wagon travel across the Great Plains some 60-plus years earlier. The two were pictured in a story in the Nebraska State Journal of Lincoln, which said that "A somewhat belated effort is being made to gather up the stories of the survivors of that bold race of men who drove priaire schooners, ox teams and freight wagons across the Western plains prior to the civil war." Labeled as "schooner argonauts," the pair were cited for having "wagoned across the plains in 1859. Robert Bruce of Clinton, NY was the driving force behind the revived interest and had the photograph portraits made.
Beachy and William again were pictured together on the front page of the Meyersdale Republican on Oct. 8, 1925. The story said that they were the only two known survivors of:
...a company of 26 argonauts who on March 24, 1859, with oxteams and enthusiastic spirits, started to travel from Ogle Station now Ashton, Illinois, across 'the Great Plains,' to Pike's Peak, Colorado, in search of gold. Their slogan was "Ho! for Pike's Peak, or bust!" The expedition "busted" and most of the gold is still in the peak. Soon after these men returned to Illinois from their unsuccessful but exciting adventures, they separated, Capt. Schrock returning to his native heath, Somerset County, Pa. ... [while] Jonas J. Beachy remained at Ogle, Ill., until 1865, and then returned east to his former home near Grantsville, Md. After they had parted at Ogle Schrock wrote several times to Beachy, addressing him once at Grantsville, Md., likely before Beachy had returned to that place, for he got no reply to his letter, and again he addressed him at Ogle, Ill., without receiving a reply from him. By that time Beachy may have left Ogle and returned to Grantsville, and Schrock's letter missed him again, and so for a period of 61 years they were lost to each other. Capt. Schrock did not know anything of Mr. Beachy's where abouts until one day, over five years ago, he read a story by L.J. Beachy son of Jonas J. Beachy, published in the Meyersdale Republican, relating to their "Pike's Peak or Bust" trip 61 years before.
In June 1920, William traveld to Beachy's Mt. Nebo Farm in Grantsville and continued doing so every year through at least 1925. On Nov. 18, Nov. 25 and Dec. 9, 1926, William authored lengthy, bylined articles in the Republican about the memorable Pike's Peak trip of 67 years ago.
Over time, as soldiers from his former company died off, William was named in some of their obituaries -- including Harrison Wiltrout in 1921 and Younkin step-cousin Jacob J. Rush in 1922.
Reminiscing into history gave William much pleasure. In March 1925, he was happily surprised to read in the Republican an account of his father having been apprenticed in young manhood to a veteran blacksmith, Joseph Jacob "Axie" Yoder. William dashed off a letter to the editor, saying the stories were "very interesting. I could not at first figure out as to how you obtained a copy of Father's agreement with Axie Yoder as an apprentice," he penned. "My mother was a daughter of Christian Meyers, who owned a farm about two miles down the river from Meyersdale, and which is still owned by some of the Meyers family, I think.... I have in my possession the original county settlements for the years 1796, '97, '98 and '99; also an article of agreement for the founding of a new town that fizzled out -- very interesting."
Despite his good physical condition, the end came quickly for William at age 91. While at home in mid-August 1929, he fell down a flight of stairs and fractured a rib. He was admitted to Somerset Community Hospital where he succumbed on Aug. 15, 1929. His death was top-headline news in the Daily American. An obituary in the Pittsburgh Press said that he was "one of Somerset's oldest citizens" and that he "would have celebrated his 92 birthday next Monday." The story was reprinted in newspapers throughout the state, among them in Tyrone, Kittanning and Harrisburg.
Rev. Dr. George L. Roth, of St. Paul's Reformed Church, preached the funeral service in the chapel of Husband Cemetery, which he had helped construct in about 1923.. Opined the Daily American, "Captain Schrock loved the little chapel and superintended its erection and it is altogether fitting that he should be laid to rest from there." Pallbearers were Judge John A. Berkey, local attorneys Frederick W. Biesecker, Norman T. Boose and Leland W. Walker, Dr. Fred B. Shaffer, Joseph M. Bricker, George J. Krebs and Cecil C. McDowell.
In his last will and testament, William directed that everything in his ownership be sold, ranging from real estate to financial investments. He also bequeathed $100 and a Civil War sword to his great-grandson, William M. Schrock Lambert, and $50 to the Husband Cemetery Association. He wrote in the document that "The other sword, the Flag, the two sashes, the two officers' commissions, my father's volunteer commissions and cmopany rolls, as well as other relics and books are to be amicably divided within a reasonable time after my death."
Many years later, on Oct. 2, 1966, the Somerset County Historical and Genealogical Society dedicated a monument in memory of William's Civil War infantry, placed on the mustering grounds at New Centerville. Local attorney Robert Keim served as master of ceremonies and Rev. Gene Abel gave the invocation, Judge Thomas F. Lansberry the principal address and Rev. Henry B. Reiley Jr. the dedication prayer. Lansberry remarked in his comments that the local recruits "had ears to hear the call of Father Abraham," said the Daily American. "This was not hearing in the ordinary sense but it was that 'inner ear' through which they heard the call that challenged them to answer the call to colors. He said that they had real courage, not the false type which causes some beatnik to throw a molotov cocktail into a store window, or causes a riot in Watts or Cleveland, but that kind of courage which sends a man through the valley of the shadow of death for the sake of a cause which he considers to be bigger than himself." Also present at the event was George Hoburn, who designed and built the monument, and Bradley Cramer, grandson of Charles Cramer who first developed the monument placement idea.
Daughter Clora J. Schrock (1860-1902) was born on Sept. 11, 1860 in Somerset. She wed Thomas Barnett ( ? - ? ). Circa 1894, in Somserset, she led the Disciples of Christ Sunday School class and raised funds for the church's missionary society. Grief blanketed the family on Aug. 23, 1902 when Clora passed away at the age of 41. Burial was in Husband Cemetery.
Daughter Ella "Ellie" Schrock (1862- ? ) was born on March 31, 1862, a twin with her sister Carrie. She wedded Dr. Charles A. Lutz ( ? - ? ) of Philadelphia. The couple were the parents of two children -- Julia Lutz and Mary Lutz. Charles served as a physician employed by the Alaska Commercial Company in the Aleutian Islands for several years. He also was assigned to medical service on a steamship making regular trips from San Francisco to China. With their home base in San Francisco, Ella often returned home to Somerset to visit and spend summers with her parents. While in Somerset in August 1889, they got word that her brother had died in Defiance, OH, and received a telegram saying that her husband was deathly ill and that she should return to California immediately. She did so, after first attending her brother's funeral. Charles fortunately survived the scare. Circa 1909, the Lutzes made a home in Los Angeles and in 1912-1920 in Irvington, CA. By 1923, they had moved to Chicago and that year are known to have traveled in Europe. The Lutzes eventually returned to Irvington. Charles died there in September 1936, with word telegraphed to Ella's family in Somerset.
Daughter Caroline Lucretia "Carrie" Schrock (1862-1919) was born on March 31, 1862, a twin with her sister Ella. On St. Patrick's Day 1881, just a few weeks shy of her 18th birthday, she married John A. Lambert (Jan. 17, 1854-1925), a native of Elizabeth, Allegheny County, PA who was living in nearby Johnstown at the time. Their nuptials were held on a Thursday at 3 p.m. at the Disciples of Christ Church in Somerset, officiated by Elder Woolery. The event was "witnessed by a host of friends of the high contracting parties," said the Somerset Herald. Park G. Kimmel, John N. Snyder, Frank Kimmel and Carrie's brother Aaron served as ushers. The eight children born to this union were Herbert Schrock Lambert, William Dreas Lambert, John R. Lambert, Staniford Lutz Lambert, James "Frank" Lambert, Gladys Sloan, Margaret Adams and Marie Lippincott. John had grown up as the son of a "veteran steamboat engineer on the Monongahela River" said the Meyersdale (PA) Republican, "and during his boyhood [he] assisted his father on the boat until he, too, became a licensed engineer and competent pilot of river transportation."
During his spare time he mastered telegraphy. In 1880, when work on the construction of the Somerset and Cambria Branch of the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad was commenced, Mr. Lambert became Somerset's first railroad telegrapher. When the branch was completed to Johnstown in 1882, Mr. Lambert became the first Baltimore & Ohio agent at Johnstown but he soon returned to Somerset as a telegraph operator and agent and remained in the position until 1890. .
In March 1889, in partnership with his father-in-law and Frank F. Koontz, John acquired the Somerset County Times newspaper from Edward H. Werner. He became sole owner in 1891 and renamed it the Somerset Standard, which he operated for the 34 remaining years of his life. Circa 1909-1912, John also served as federal postmaster in the county seat. In March 1919, Carrie suffered a stroke of apoplexy and, 12 days shy of her 58th birthday, died at home on March 18, 1919. Burial was in Husband Cemetery. An obituary was printed in the Meyersdale Republican. John outlived his bride by six years and maintained his residence on West Union Street, although suffering from heart valve problems during that period. On the fateful evening of Nov. 25, 1925, he attended a business meeting at Somerset Country Club and then began walking toward home. As he crossed Center Avenue, between the public square and courthouse square, his heart stopped, and he fell to the ground dead at the age of 71. Funeral services were held in the home, led by Rev. John C. Crowe of the Somerset Church of Christ. The Republican published an obituary.
Great-grandson Herbert Schrock Lambert Jr. (1903-1961) was born on Dec. 12, 1903 in Somerset. As a boy, he moved to California with his parents and lived in San Leandro. Sadly, he was only 10 when his father died. Herbert returned to Somerset and, in about 1929-1930, married Ruth Groves Brody (Nov. 4, 1905-1965), daughter of John M. and Ida (Groves) Brody of Pittsburgh. In 1929, Herbert is known to have attended the funeral of his great-grandfather, Capt. William Meyers Schrock, in Somerset. Herbert Jr. joined the "conservative investments" firm of J.A. Ritchie & Company in Pittsburgh's Oliver Building in January 1930, with an advertisement placed in the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. Herbert and Ruth lived in Churchill Boro and produced four daughters -- Margo Miller, Gladys Moore, Sarah Werner and Julie Lambert. Later, he earned a living as a salesman. Their address in the early 1960s was at 120 Oakview Avenue in Edgewood. At the age of 57, having suffered from hardening of the arteries and heart disease, passed away in Columbia Hospital in Wilkinsburg on Aug. 6, 1961. Burial was in Homewood Cemetery. As a widow, Ruth maintained a home in Wilkinsburg at 1423 Center Street. While eating one day, she accidentally inhaled her food which blocked her breathing passage, and she could not breathe. She died in Woodville State Hospital near Pittsburgh on Feb. 1, 1965. Interment was in St. Mary's Catholic Cemetery in Pittsburgh.
Great-grandson William Meyers Schrock Lambert ( ? -1991) lived in Pittsburgh in 1943. He married Sara ( ? - ? ). They bore four offspring -- Nancy Cook, Pam Lambert, Jean Lambert and William D. Lambert, MD. Circa 1967, he was in Labrador City in Newfoundland. Later, they were in Santa Fe, NM and then moved to Albuquerque, NM. The couple spent their winters in Sun City, AZ. He is believed to have been affiliated with the Lions Club and its Eye Bank for Macular Degeneration Research. William succumbed to death in a Sun City hospital on April 27, 1991.
Great-granddaughter Mary Ann Lambert ( ? - ? ) - On March 11, 1936, she married 23-year-old William Judkins Metzler Jr. (May 9, 1912-2007), son of Sankey Wesley and Clare (Judkins) Metzler. The couple were the parents of John "David" Metzler and William L. Metzler. At the time of marriage, William was a Yale University graduate had been employed for two years with the family business, S.W. Metzler Stores Corporation, which owned Metzler's Store at 22 East Main Street in Uniontown. He became president and served for 23 years, from 1940 to 1963. In the community, he was a member of the boards of Uniontown Hospital, Uniontown Y.M.C.A., Area Council- Boy Scouts of America, Uniontown Parking Authority, United Fund-Advanced Gifts,Greater Uniontown Industrial Fund, Fayette Development Council and Penn State University's Fayette Campus. A member of the Rotary Club of Uniontown, he was a Paul Harris Fellow. Circa 1967, Mary Ann resided at 141 Belmont Circle in Uniontown, Fayette County, PA. The couple may have divorced, as William married again to Elizabeth Beall ( ? - ? ). William passed away in Pensacola, FL on June 12, 2007, with burial in Sylvan Heights Cemetery.
Great-granddaughter Gloria "Pam" Lambert ( ? - ? ) - As a young woman, she attended Grove City College and was employed in Somerset as a receptions in the offices of architect Boyd Picking and attorney Joseph Cascio. Then in 1942, she moved to Pittsburgh where she served as secretary to the manager of the Roosevelt Hotel. On Nov. 11, 1943, she wedded Frank F. Doak ( ? - ? ), son of Frank Doak Sr., with the ceremony held in the chapel of East Liberty Presbyterian Church of Pittsburgh, and Rev. Dr. Stuart Nye Hutchison officiating. Their wedding reception was held at the Fox Chapel home of Gloria's aunt and uncle, Gladys and James Fownes. At the time, Frank worked for American Radiator and Standard Sanitary Manufacturing Company of Pittsburgh. Their first home was at 7000 Edgerton Avenue in Pittsburgh's East End. Later they lived in Point Breeze. They were the parents of three daughters -- Amy Ahrens Matos, Meta Ann Dillard and Molly Miller Doak. Their daughter Meta -- with the married pen name "Annie Dillard" -- who went on to author the Pulitzer Prize-wnning Pilgrim at Tinker Creek, published in March 1974 when she was 28 years of age. Portions of the book originally were published in Harper's, The Atlantic Monthly, Travel and Leisure and Living Wilderness. Other of her books have been Tickets for a Prayer Wheel, Holy the Firm, For the Time Being, An American Childhood and The Maytrees. She taught English for more than two decades at Wesleyan University in Middletown, CT. She first married Richard H.W. Dillard and then, after a divorce, wed Robert D. Richardson. In 2015, she received a National Humanities Medal.
Great-grandson John R. Lambert Jr. (1922-2010) was born on Sept. 12, 1922 in Milford, CT. After graduation from Trinity School for Boys in Manhattan, he attended Columbia University, with his education interrupted by World War II. He enlisted in the U.S. Army and took part on the D-Day invasion of Omaha Beach. In all, he was bestowed two Purple Hearts and a Silver Star medal. After the war, he returned to Milford and ran his own advertising agency, known as John R. Lambert Service. He then accepted a position with the Consumer Products Division of Bridgeport Brass Company. In October 1954, he was named advertising manager for Empire Brushes of Port Chester, NY. At the age of 49, in 1971, he wedded MaryAnn ( ? - ? ). Their union lasted for 39 years until the separation of death. He was the father of Jacquelyn Hartmann, Cydney Lambert-Broatch and Derrick Redman Lambert. Eventually John was tapped as vice president for one of the world's most prestigious agencies, Doyle Dane Bernbach, where he was director of print advertising and oversaw a team of 80 people. He enjoyed writing and creating poetry, jazz percussion playing, traveling and saltwater fishing. He died in West Haven Veterans Hospital on April 24, 2010. His remains were placed into repose in Milford Cemetery.
Great-granddaughter Valerie Lambert ( ? -1967) was born in (?). She was considered a lifelong resident of Milford, CT. Valerie was joined in matrimony with Philip S. Hemphill ( ? - ? ), son of Frederick R. Hemphill of Jamestown, NY and Arcadia, FL. The family dwelled at 8 Union Street and were the parents of Sara Schrock Agnew and Mrs. A.T. Clark. They were members of the Milford Yacht Club and the Milford Woman's Club. Daughter Sara is known to have attended the Day Prospect Hill School in New Haven and obtained a degree from Wheaton College in 1965. Sadly, Valerie endured the death of her father in early November 1967 only to be swept away by the Grim Reaper less than a month later, on Dec. 3, 1967. An obituary appeared in the Bridgeport Telegram. In 1966, daughter Sara married George Bliss Agnew III and lived in New York City and daughter Mrs. Clark was in State College, PA.
Great-granddaughter Margaret Lambert ( ? - ? ) was joined in marriage on May 1, 1937 with Job Taylor II in a ceremony held in Wilkinsburg near Pittsburgh
Son Aaron F. Schrock (1865-1898) was born on May 16, 1865. As with his father and uncle, he became a newspaperman. Circa 1890, he resided in Defiance, OH, where he was editor of the Daily News. Sadly, he died in Defiance in August 1898, with the news telegraphed to his parents in Somerset.
Daughter Julia M. Schrock (1867-1957) was born on Feb. 21, 1867. At the age of 18, in June 1886, she was joined in holy wedlock with Charles W. Staniford ( ? - ? ) of Brooklyn, NY. The wedding was held in the parlor of her parents' Somerset home with 30 guests present. At the time, Charles was employed as a civil engineer in Somerset, working on construction of the South Penn Railroad. The only son born to the couple was Foy Staniford. Their home for decades was in a hotel in New York City, with Charles earning a living as chief engineer for the city's department of docks and ferries. After the death of her mother, Julia returned to Somerset in August 1912 to spend several weeks with her father. Concurrently, Charles traveled to Canada to examine and report on a large harbor project on the Saguanay River in Quebec near the mouth of the St. Lawrence River. Said the Somerset Standard, "Mr. Staniford's counsel is frequently sought by cities and corporations contemplating harbor improvements." Julia and Charles returned to Somerset to visit her father in October 1920. They had a home in Suffern, NY. They also constructed a summer home, named "Stanicroft," located on Parson's Hill in Somerset, where Julia lived every year from May until November. Among her guests at Stanicroft, Julia enjoyed hosting the novelist Carolyn Wells. When Wells published the novel In the Tiger's Cage, in 1934, she dedicated the volume to Julia's nephew, Fred B. Walker. In retirement, they dwelled in Robert Treat Hotel in Newark, NJ. As a widow, Julia came back to Somerset in 1949 to live with her sister Minnie Hostetler in the Straub Apartments. Then for the last seven years of her life, Julia was a resident of the Galen Nursing Home in Rye, NY. She died there on April 5, 1957. Her remains were shipped back to Somerset to rest in Husband Cemetery, with Rev. Dr. I. Hess Wagner, of Trinity Lutheran Church, officiating at the funeral.
Daughter Minnie Schrock (1868-1950) was born on Dec. 6, 1868 in Somerset, a twin with her sister Lillie, who died at birth. Minnie married Edwin O. Hostetler (July 17, 1868-1932), son of William M. and Sarah Jane (Knee) Hostetler, the father a veteran of the Civil War. Originally making a home in Pittsburgh, they relocated in about 1910 to El Paso, TX. Then in 1920, they were in Shelbysville, KY. The Hostetlers returned to southwestern Pennsylvania and made homes in Johnstown and Monessen, and then back in Somerset, where Edward ran a tailoring and dry cleaning business. Their home was at 167 West Union Street. Sadly, burdened with cirrhosis of the liver, the 63-year-old Edwin died in Somerset on Feb. 2, 1932. His remains were placed into rest in Husband Cemetery. Minnie continued running the business as a widow. Said the Somerset Daily American, "Blessed with a friendly and kindly disposition, Mrs. Hostetler enjoyed a host of friends and ... was a familiar figure on the street where she always had a friendly greeting for all whom she encountered in her daily walks." At Easter 1950, she underwent major surgery at Somerset Community Hospital. Several weeks later, she was transferrred to Memorial Hospital in Cumberland, MD to undergo specialized care. She then returned to the Somerset hospital where she spent the final five months of her life. She died there at the age of 81 on Sept. 7, 1950.
Daughter Susan Schrock (1873- ? ) was born on Jan. 13, 1873. On Oct. 6, 1897, the 24-year-old Susan was united in matrimony with Charles Willard Walker Sr. (Nov. 5, 1868-1927), son of Silas and Elizabeth (Walker) Walker. The marriage produced two sons -- Dr. Charles Willard Walker Jr. and Fred B. Walker. The family resided in Somerset, where Charles, an attorney, was in private practice. He was a graduate of Pennsylvania College at Gettysburg, graduating in 1891. He and A.L.G. Hay were law partners from 1893 to 1897. Said the Meyersdale Republican:
From the time of his admission to the bar until the hour of his death, mr. Walker was promineint in the social and business life of the county-seat. He was a member of the Town Council for several years, and served as president of that organization. he was a Democrat in politics and one of the leaders of the party in the county. His colleagues of the bar are free to credit him with having had one of the finest legal minds in the county. He went into court with his cases well prepared. He practiced in the Superior and Supreme Courts of the State, and in the United States Court. he became the editor of the Legal Journal after the death of H. Frank Yost. He was a member of the Law Library Committee, which built up the present fine Library.
The Walkers were members of Trinity Lutheran Church, where he taught the men's Bible class. He also belonged to the Modern Woodmen of America and the Somerset lodge of the Masonks. On Oct. 10, 1927, just a few weeks before his 60th birthday, Charles was stricken with a cerebral hemorrhage and died the next day. Burial was in Husband Cemetery, with Dr. I. Hess Wagner officiating. Susan spent many years as a widow and spent her winters in Florida. In 1938, she was in St. Petersburg and in 1950 and 1957 in St. Augustine.