The Kingwood Church of God, at the time a one-story frame structure, burned to the ground in early January 1934. The windows miraculously survived. Having served the community for 57 years, and with a current membership of about 160, the structure was rebuilt. At the time, Rev. E.L. Tantlinger was serving as pastor of the congregation. A Building Committee of four church members oversaw the process, of whom three were of the Younkin family. Matthew McKinley "M.M." Younkin was the son of Wesley D. and Mary Ann (Kreger) Younkin and grandson of Jacob C. and Lucy (Weimer) Younkin
-- Jonathan Beecher "J.B." Dumbauld was the son of George and Mary "Ellen" (Faidley) Dumbauld and grandson of Jonathan Cable and Elizabeth (Dull) Dumbauld
-- and Peter Albert "P.A." Kreger was the widower of Ida Trimpey, the daughter of John S. and Nancy (Younkin) Trimpey
. The fourth committee member, David Francis Shultz, was vice president of the Union National Bank of Rockwood and was construction contractor for the new church building.