What's New

Photo of the Month

Minerd.com Blog


National Reunion


Cousin Voices

Honor Roll

In Lasting Memory

In the News

Our Mission and Values

Annual Review

Favorite Links

Contact Us


Amanda (Younkin) Hechler


Amanda Hechler

Amanda (Younkin) Hechler was born on March 16, 1862 near Kingwood, Somerset County, PA, the daughter of Eli and Mary Ann (Rose) Younkin

As a girl, Amanda and her parents migrated west to Illinois for "a few years," said a newspaper, possibly for the sake of her mother's poor health. The mother did not get well. She died and was buried at Franklin Grove, Lee County, IL. The mourning Younkin family then returned home to Somerset County, where Amanda's father eventually married again. 

In March 1881, when she was 19 years of age, Amanda gave birth to a son, and named him "Beacher Scott Younkin," also spelled "Beecher." Amanda was not married at the time, and her parents did not approve of the boy's father, William Engelka. Amanda did not wed Engelka, and her young son went to live with his grandfather and step-grandmother Younkin, and they raised him to adulthood. 

When the 1900 federal census was taken, Beacher's last name was written as "Engelka" although he ultimately used the surname "Younkin."


Somerset Herald, Oct. 21, 1885

On Sept. 27, 1885, at the age of 23, Amanda married 25-year-old William Wallace Hechler (1860-1934), son of Aaron and Nancy (Scott) Hechler. 

News of their nuptials was published in the Somerset Herald, which added that G.W. Lowry performed the ceremony, held "at the residence of the bride's parents."

The Hechlers went on to produce a family of seven children -- Charles Edward Hechler, Ross Hechler, Sadie Sterner, Mary Kreger, Corda Leslie Kesler, Maud Snyder and James Franklin Hechler. 


1928 reunion notice

Daughter Maud is believed to have suffered as a child from "cancer of the bowels" and was treated at hospitals in Pittsburgh but fortunately went on to a long life including marriage and children.

Wallace was said to be "ornery." He was not a church-goer, but once tried to pull a prank on three local women who were headed to Sunday services. He hid under a footbridge, and planned to throw some stones onto the bridge to make noise, then run covered with a bedsheet to make them think he was a ghost. But just at the key moment, there was a loud mysterious noise, which scared him into ending his plan. He then came out of hiding and asked the women if they had heard the noise too. One of them replied, "You've been to the devil, now come to church with us." But he refused.

Amanda and Wallace, said a local newspaper, "lived on a small farm near Kingwood for about 50 years," where Wallace labored "farming and working in the timber, and helped to cut much of the virgin timber in the surrounding territory. He was a robust man and an expert axman, strictly temperate, a stalwart Republican, always exercising his right to vote."


Amanda's "crazy quilt" featured in our Online Quilt Museum


Amanda, date unknown

At the Second Annual Hechler Reunion, held on June 16, 1928 at Rockwood Park, Wallace assisted with the adult activities. A small card from that reunion (partially seen above) states that "A game of Horseshoe Pitching at 3:30. Captains -- W.W. Hechler, C.M. Sanner, Wm. Hechler, Willis Singo. Distance 40 feet."

Amanda was a member of the inaugural organized adult Bible class of the Kingwood Church of God, where she was a 40-year member.  A certificate with her name (among others) has hung in the church in recent years. She also was an expert quiltmaker, and is known for making colorful "crazy quilts," among others.

In 1931, Amanda became ill, suffering from a combination of bronchial asthma, kidney disease and heart valve problems ("interstitial regurgitation"). She was treated by Dr. Frank W. White of Rockwood. After 15 months of enduring these ailments, she died on June 19, 1932, at age 70. 

A newspaper eulogized that:


Rockwood IOOF Cemetery

Amid all her suffering she was faithful to God, and was waiting His coming for her, realizing that all had been done for her that medical skill could do. She told her loved ones that she wanted to go home to God.  Mrs. Hechler was a model wife, a kind and loving mother, a friend and neighbor to all who came in contact with her, always willing to help anyone in need or afflicted.

A year later, Wallace's health began to go downhill, suffering from heart and kidney failure. He died on Nov. 8, 1934, at the age of 75. His obituary said that "Six of his near neighbors were the pallbearers -- William and Harry Kreger, Fred Ream, Harvey Henry, Ross Younkin and Roy Stoner." Interment was beside his wife in the Kingwood IOOF Cemetery

Wallace and Amanda are mentioned in the 1939 manuscript history, The Family of Jacob Hechler, found at the Somerset (PA) Historical Center. 

~ Son Beacher Scott Younkin ~


Beacher Younkin

Son Beacher Scott Younkin (1881-1957) -- also spelled "Beecher" -- was born on March 22, 1881, in Kingwood, Somerset County, to Amanda Younkin and William Engelka, who were not married. 

As the son of a single unwed mother, he resided with her parents, and they raised him to adulthood. He stood 5 feet, 6 inches tall, weighed 127 lbs. and had a light complexion and blue eyes.

In the 1900 federal census, when he was age 19, Beacher's last name was written as "Engelka," but ultimately he went by the "Younkin" surname. He obtained employment with the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad and labored on the B&O's work train circa 1912.

Beacher worked for Sunshine Lumber Company in March 1914 and made odd news in the gossip columns of the Meyersdale Republican. Reported the newspaper: "it is said that cupid, the little love god, wounded him with one of his little darts, and some institution of learning in the bit sawmill city in the lower township has more charms for him that what remains of the forest primeval of Paddytown."

On April 13, 1918, when he was age 37, Beacher married 19-year-old Vallie Ethel Knox (1899-1928), the daughter of Mahlon and Minnie Ann (Frazee) Knox. He was 18 years older than his bride. 

They bore a family of five children, Wreatha Mary Hager, Harold Scott Younkin, Frances Ruth Garrison, Ida "Mae" Peck, Junior Eugenie Younkin, who died in infancy, and an unnamed still born son.

Vallie "joined the Methodist Episcopal Church at Harnedsville in 1918," said a local newspaper. "She was a devoted wife and mother and kind neighbor." In 1923, when their infant son died at birth, their home was in Somerfield, Henry Clay Township, Fayette County, PA. His work in the mid-1920s was carpentry.


Beacher Younkin

Scandal rocked the family and the community in 1925 when Beacher abandoned his wife and "two young children, and eloped with his sister-in-law, Laura Knox, a single woman and the mother of two children," reported the Republican. They were arrested and found guilty, with Beacher ordered to pay a fine of $500 plus $30 a month to his wife in addition to serving one year in a prison workhouse. Laura was required to pay a $100 fine and "was sent to the County Home to work out the costs and fine."

He served his time in prison, assigned to the broom shop. His sentence was commuted after 305 days, and he was set free. He appears to have returned home to his wife and offspring and resumed his place in the community. The Republican reported in 1927 that he had moved into a new house and was "going to run a boarding house for Mahlon Knox," his father-in-law. They were in Fort Hill in July 1927 when they attended the fireman's convention in Rockwood.

For some reason, they made a move to Ohio within the year. Circa March 1928, the Younkins were in Akron, Summit County, OH, where their daughter Mae was born. 

Sadly, Vallie contracted an auto-immune disease called "pemphigus" about a month after giving birth to their youngest child in March 1928. The family moved back to Somerset County. Her health declined and, added to heart problems called "endocarditis," she became seriously ill on June 6. Not rallying for more than a month, she was admitted on July 16 to Johnstown Memorial Hospital. There, she died at the age 28 on Sept. 28, 1928.

"She will be greatly missed by her husband and family, besides by a large circle of neighbors and friends," said a newspaper. Her remains were returned to Somerset County to be laid to rest at the Church of God Cemetery in Kingwood, adjacent to the plot where her husband's grandparents are buried. Rev. C.W. Raley, of the Evangelical Church of Rockwood, preached the funeral sermon. Among her survivors were siblings Mary Colflesh of Harnedsville, Lauri Mintmier of Somerset, Herbert Knox, John Knox, Lettie Knox, Merle Knox, Thelma Knox and Floyd Knox.

Vallie's untimely death left her widower with four mouths to feed ranging in age from nine years to six months. The children were sent to live with relatives, and on the 1930 census, two-year-old daughter Ida Mae made her home with her Knox grandparents in Somerset County. 

Beacher survived his wife by nearly three decades. In 1930, the Republican gossip columns noted a visit he made to his aunt Hattie Romesburg and one he received from Laura Younkin. He dwelled near Ursina and continued his longtime work in lumbering, injuring a foot accidentally in June 1931.

In the 1930s, the National Younkin Home-Coming Reunions were held at the Kingwood I.O.O.F. Picnic Grove, just a mile or so from where Beacher grew up and was living at the time. He was named on a July 1935 list of local relatives who had been sent an invitation that year by reunion secretary Charles Arthur Younkin -- click to see Beacher's name on the handwritten list. In 1940, he lived under the roof of his married daughter Wreatha Hager in Addison and earned a living as a laborer.

Later, in about 1943, with World War II raging in the Pacific and Europe, Beacher and the Hagers moved to Versailles, near Pittsburgh, Allegheny County, PA, and resided at 715 High Street. He spent the remaining 14 years of his life in Versailles and was employed as a steel mill laborer.

Beacher inherited the old family Bible of his grandparents, Eli and Sarah Younkin. In the 1930s, the National Younkin Home-Coming Reunions were held at the Kingwood I.O.O.F. Picnic Grove, just a mile or two from where Beacher lived. In about 1934, reunion president Otto Roosevelt Younkin personally examined the Bible, and copied the family birth, marriage and death entries by hand. Click here to view the Bible pages at a larger size. Beacher was included on a July 1935 list of local relatives who recieved an invitation that year by reunion secretary Charles Arthur Younkin -- click to see Beacher's name on the handwritten list. Over the years, he is known to have attended the annual Kingwood Picnic.

He suffered from hardening of the arteries and died from a heart attack in Versailles on April 25, 1957. His remains were returned to Kingwood to rest for eternity beside his wife.

Beacher and Vallie's grave in Kingwood


Hager Chronicles booklet

Daughter Wreatha Mary Younkin (1919-2002) was born on May 1, 1919 in Ursina, Somerset County. Her name also has been given as "Oretha." On Dec. 10, 1936, at the age of 17, Wreatha wed 25-year-old Sheldon McCartney Hager (1911-1986). They were the parents of Ralph Hager, Louise Jacobs, Sharon Sturkie and Vallie Novalis. They also raised a cousin, Judy Knox Datig. Circa 1940, when the census count was made, they resided in Addison, Somerset County, with Sheldon working as a laborer. Later, they relocated to Glassport, Allegheny County, PA, and were members of the Jehovah's Witness Church of McKeesport. Sheldon died in Pittsburgh on April 30, 1986. Burial was in the Round Hill Cemetery in Elizabeth Township, Allegheny County. Sadly, daughter Vallie, of New Kensington, PA died on March 9, 2002. Just 36 days later, Wreatha passed away at home, on April 15, 2002, at age 82. She was survived by 11 grandchildren and 16 great-grandchildren. Sheldon is pictured, and the family summarized, in a Hager family booklet, The Hager Chronicles, shown to the founder of this website by local historian Delbert Hager during the 2015 Junghen-Younkin Reunion cemetery tour in Farmington, PA.

  • Grandson Ralph Hager (1938- ? ) was born in about 1938. In 2002, he lived in North Huntingdon, Westmoreland County, PA.
  • Granddaughter Louise Hager married (?) Jacobs and dwelled in Glassport.
  • Granddaughter Sharon Hager wed (?) Sturkle and resided in Elizabeth Township.

Son Harold Scott Younkin (1921-1984) was born on Dec. 6, 1921 in Ursina, Somerset County. As an 18-year-old, he lived with his married sister Wreatha Hager in Addison Township, Somerset County and worked as a postal mail carrier. His home in 1942 was in Fort Hill. Later, in the 1940s, he moved to McKeesport where he made his home 1957. He was a member of the Lions and Elks Clubs. Harold married Ella Smrekar (Sept. 30, 1924-1991), a native of Irwin, Westmoreland County and the daughter of Slovak immigrants Johan and Ursula (Zagar) Smrekar. Their final residence was in or around Arona, Westmoreland County. He died in Arona on Sept. 14, 1984, at the age of 62, and his remains were placed into repose in Penn Lincoln Memorial Park in North Huntington Township, Westmoreland County. Ella survived her spouse by seven years. She passed into eternity in Greensburg on Jan. 24, 1991.


James Garrison's workplace, the National Tube plant in McKeesport


Ruth Garrison, 2015

Daughter Frances "Ruth" Younkin (1926-2016) was born on Jan. 23, 1926 at Fort Hill, Somerset County. She was but the age of three when her mother died. She went to live with her married sister Wreatha Hager in Addison, Somerset County, and was there in 1940 when the U.S. Census was made. She later relocated to Greenock, Allegheny County, near Pittsburgh. At the age of 18, Ruth married 27-year-old James A. Garrison (April 5, 1909-1988), son of William and Ida (Stevens) Garrison, and was a native of Shickshinny, Luzerne County, PA. At the time of marriage James made his homein McKeesport, and was employed locally as a laborer. The couple produced at least one son, William Garrison. Over the years, he worked in anthracite coal mines and labored for Marris Hannon Amusements as a ride foreman. Later, he obtained employment as a bridge painter for Pittsburgh & Lake Erie Railroad structures until falling 68 feet and becoming injured. He then started working as a rigger with U.S. Steel's National Tube works in McKeesport. Their address circa 1988 was 733 Sixth Street in McKeesport. Suffering from severe lung disease, emphysema and bronchial pneumonia, James passed away at the age of 79 on Aug. 25, 1988. Ruth survived her husband by 28 years, remaining in their home in McKeesport. Sadly, Ruth passed away at home on Nov. 15, 2016, at the age of 90.


  • Grandson William Garrison (1944-living) was born on Nov. 17, 1944 in McKeesport. He served in the U.S. Marine Corps during the Vietnam War as a member of the India Battery, 3rd Battalion, 12th Marines, 3rd Marine Division. His tour of duty took him to the Northern Provinces in I Corps area, primarily Khe Sahn, Quang Tri, Cam Lo, Hue and Phu Bai (March 1966 to April 1967). He married Joanne, and they have a family of three grown children. Bill and Joanne make their home in Jeannette, Westmoreland County, PA.


Bill Garrison in Vietnam.  Right: eating monkey and rice with a South Viet officer and radio man

Daughter Ida Mae Younkin (1928-2007) was born on March 21, 1928 in Akron, Stark County, OH. After her mother's untimely death, when Ida was six months old, the baby was taken back to her parents' home region of Confluence, Somerset County, where she was raised by her Knox grandparents. She wed Warren Elroy Peck Sr. (Feb. 10, 1927-1987), son of Harvey and Florence (Phillippi) Peck, on Aug. 16, 1948, in a ceremony in Confluence led by justice of the peace D.H. Pore. They had two children -- Carl Elroy Peck Jr. and Gary A. Peck. Warren served in World War II and was a member of the Veterans of Foreign Wars Post 7250. They were members of Kingdom Hall Jehovah's Witnesses in Markleysburg, Somerset County. On the fateful day of Nov. 18, 1984, Warren was a passenger in an automobile driven by their son Gary when struck by a moving Chessie System locomotive in Confluence. Reported the Somerset Daily American, "the westbound train's horn was sounded, but Peck failed to yield the right-of-way. The car was pushed 114 feet down the track." Warren was life-flighted to Cumberland (MD) Memorial Hospital, while Gary fractured a hip and was admitted to Somerset Community Hospital. The Daily American published a photograph of the badly damaged vehicle. Warren survived and lived for another three years. He died at the age of 60 on Sept. 20, 1987 in Somerset Community Hospital. He was laid to rest in the Younkin Cemetery in Paddytown. Ida outlived her husband by two decades and endured the automobile accident death of her son Gary in 1999. She passed away at Golden Living Center in Meyersdale, Somerset County on Nov. 23, 2007, at age 79. At the time, she was survived by four grandchildren and four great-grandchildren. Rev. William J. Maize officiated at the funeral service.

  • Grandson Carl Elroy Peck Jr. ( ? - ? ) was born in (?). During the Vietnam War, he served in the U.S. Army with the 5th Mechanized Infantry Division, specializing as a mortarman. Later, he married Sue Vought ( ? - ? ). She formerly was married to Robert Vought and brought two sons to the union, Joshua Vought and Caleb L. Vought. The Pecks lived in Meyersdale, Somerset County in 2007.
  • Grandson Gary Allen Peck (1953-1999) was born on Feb. 18, 1953 in Confluence. His first wife, circa 1978, is believed to have been 17-year-old Donna Marie Burnsworth of Confluence ( ? - ? ). At the age of 40, circa 1993, Gary wedded 45-year-old Sally Jane (Soltes) Cook (Oct. 1, 1947-1997), daughter of Andy and Irene (Borbac) Soltes, also spelled "Soltis." She brought two daughters into the second marriage, Faye Reed and Linda Wagner. Gary was a longtime lumber worker, first employed for two decades by Sproul Lumber Company of Uniontown, and then by Champion Lumber Company. Their address in 1997 was Allegheny Street in Boswell, Somerset County. Death cleaved the family apart when Sally died at the age of 49 on Sept. 10, 1997 in Somerset Hospital. Rev. John Buchko officiated at the funeral, with interment in St. John Cemetery. Gary outlived his wife by two years and dwelled in in Confluence. He died at the age of 46, on Oct. 29, 1999, from injuries sustained in a vehicular accident. James Wolfe led the funeral service. His remains were placed into eternal repose in his parents' lot in Younkin Cemetery.

Charles and Mae Hechler, 1960s

~ Son Charles Hechler ~

Son Charles E. Hechler (1901- ? ) was born in 1901 in or near Kingwood. His surname also has been spelled "Heckler" over the years.

He married Mae Harriett McGuire (1906-1978), daughter of Calvin and Eliza (Baer) McGuire.

They had six children -- Merle Hechler, Ray Calvin Hechler, Oscar Hechler, Thelma Silbaugh, Pearl Fike and Charles "Robert" Hechler.

Charles and Mae resided in Kingwood for many years and toiled as farmers. The portrait of them here was taken on their farm, in the back yard of their home, in the 1960s. The trees in the background run beside what is now Route 281, with the Odd Fellows Cemetery nearby but out of view. 

When the federal census was enumerated in 1930, the Hechlers lived in Kingwood, where Charles was a laborer in a local saw mill. Among their neighbors in the immediate community were cousins Lawrence and Mary Hall, and Melvin and Hazel (Rose) Cameron.


Kingwood Odd Fellows Cemetery

In April 1965, the Hechlers hosted their adult children and families over the Easter weekend. The gossip columns of the Somerset Daily American reported that the guests included the Silbaughs, Oscar Hechlers, Merle Hechlers, Ray Fikes and Ray Hechlers as well as married niece and husband, Hazel and Charles Koontz of Rockwood.

Mae died at age 72 on Jan. 8, 1978 in the Fazio Nursing Home. The Daily American noted that she was survived by 13 grandchildren and eight great-grandchildren. 


Daily American, 1978

Her remains were placed into eternal rest in the Kingwood IOOF Cemetery, with Rev. Gerald Deffenbaugh officiating at her funeral.

Son Ray Calvin Hechler (1929-1990) was born on June 22, 1929. He married Treecy Elsie Pletcher (1933-1996), daughter of Amos and Elsie (Gary) Pletcher. Ray was age 23 and the time, and Treecy was 19. The nuptials were performed by Rev. Walter F. Berkebile on Nov. 22, 1952. Ray was a school bus driver, employed with the Guy Sechler Bus Company. He was a member of the Kingwood Odd Fellows Lodge, and they belonged to the Church of the Brethren in Middlcreek Township. Ray and Treecy produced six children -- Clifford Hechler, Amos Hechler, Jeanette Warrick, Loretta Tannehill, Tracey Hechler and a baby daughter who died in infancy. Ray passed away at age 61 on July 1, 1990 in Meyersdale Community Hospital. Following a funeral led by Rev. William Hay, he was buried in Fairview Cemetery near Rockwood. Treecy outlived him by six years and kept company with Richard Sanner of Rockwood. She died on April 3, 1996, at home, with Younkin cousin Rev. Jay Christner officiating at her funeral and burial at Fairview Cemetery.

  • Grandson Clifford Hechler married Colleen Ogline and lived in Rockwood.
  • Grandson Amos Hechler was wed to Theresa Wilber and dwelled in Rockwood.
  • Granddaughter Jeanette Hechler -- in about 1978, she was united in matrimony with 22-year-old Donald Alvin Warrick (1956-2016), son of Melvin and Sarah (Nicholson) Warrick. They made their home in Rockwood and produced these children -- Maria Peck, Christina Romesburg, Jessica Bonus, Kayla Beeman and Brandon Warrick. They also took in many foster children over the years. They family were members of the Rockwood Church of the Brethren. Donald once served as Mayor of Rockwood and at the time of his death was president of borough council. He worked at Sheetz stores in the Somerset area from 2013 to 2016. Actively involved in the community, his interests ranged from the Rockwood Historical Society and Somerset Borough Association to Monday Night Church Bowling League and the Somerset County Fair Board. Donald died at the age of 59 on Feb. 6, 2016. Rev. Craig Breegle and Rev. Jay Christner officiated at the funeral followed by burial in the Jersey Baptist Church Cemetery.
  • Granddaughter Loretta Hechler married Paul Tannehill and lived in Rockwood.
  • Granddaughter Tracey Hechler resided in Rockwood.


Merle Heckler
Courtesy Melanie Heckler

Son Merle E. Heckler (1927-2014) was born on March 28, 1927 near Kingwood. During World War II, he served in the U.S. Army. He was a self-employed carpenter and lived in Jeffersonville and Paoli, IN. In November 1946, at the age of 19, he was united in matrimony with Betty Hurl ( ? -1970). Sadly, Betty passed away in 1970. After seven years as a widower, he married again in 1977 to Bernice "Bea" Andry ( ? -2000). In all, he had six children and stepchildren -- Michael Andry, Marc Andry, Jeraldine Isgrigg, Krystal Funk, Karen Shade and Connie Ellison. Merle was a member of the Masons in Jeffersonville, IN. Sadly, Merle became widowed for a second time when Bea died in New Albany on Oct. 6, 2000. He lived for another 14 years. At the age of 87, he died in Floyd Memorial Hospital on Dec. 21, 2014. His remains were lowered into eternal rest in Kraft Graceland Memorial Park in New Albany, IN. He was survived by 11 grandchildren and five great-grandchildren.

Son Oscar D. Hechler (1930-2000) was born on Nov. 23, 1930 near Kingwood. He was united in marriage with Doris Vivian Evans (Nov. 25, 1930-2017), daughter of Joseph Dayton and Lena (Schnopp) Evans of Terra Alta, Preston County, WV. Doris grew up in the Hazelton community of Bruceton Mills, Preston County, where her father owned and operated the Hazelton Milling Company originally purchased by his father in the early 1930s and which remained in business until 2014. Oscar and Doris made their home in Pittsburgh. They had one daughter, Kathie L. Johnston. Oscar was a carpenter and worked for many years for United States Steel Corporation at its works in Homestead, near Pittsburgh. Following retirement, they resided in Bruceton Mills/Hazelton, Preston County, WV. Suffering from cancer, he died at the age of 69 in Ruby Memorial Hospital in Morgantown, WV on April 15, 2000. His remains were interred in Parnell Cemetery, Cuzzart, Bruceton Mills, with Rev. Vicki Sheppard preaching the funeral sermon. An obituary published in the Preston County Journal. In widowhood, Doris survived her husband by 17 years and remained in Hazelton. There, said the Somerset (PA) Daily American, she "attended her class reunion almost every year. She valued the friendship of her fellow classmates. She enjoyed gardening and maintaining her beautiful flowers, and she loved her two cats, chickens, and guineas. As a member of the North Preston Senior Center, Doris looked forward to the meetings, club functions, and trips." At the age of 86, on May 20, 2017, Doris succumbed in her home. Burial was in the Parnell Cemetery in Bruceton Mills (Cuzzart), with Rev. Vicki D. Sheppard officiating. The Daily American printed an obituary.

  • Granddaughter Kathie L. Hechler married Douglas Johnston. Their three offspring are Douglas Johnston, Dale Johnston and Amanda Waddey. The Johnstons made their home circa 2000-2017 in Dunnellon, FL.

Daughter Thelma Hechler (1934-1997) was born on March 13, 1934. She wed Woodrow A. Silbaugh (1912-1983), a veteran of World War II. They were 22 years apart in their ages. During the war, Woodrow served as a T/5 in the 9th Armored Division of the U.S. Army. They resided circa 1965-1978 in the Braddock section of Pittsburgh. Sadly, Woodrow died on March 19, 1983. Thelma outlived him by 14 years. She passed at the age of 63 on June 15, 1997. Interment was in the Church Hill Cemetery in Wilkins Township, Allegheny County. Their daughter Sandee Kerlin came to the rain-drenched 2015 National Minerd-Minard-Miner-Minor Reunion held at Donegal, PA.

Daughter Pearl Hechler married Raymond Fike. She lived in Ohio in 1965 and in Markleysburg, PA in 1978. 

Robert Heckler
Courtesy Melanie Heckler
Son Charles Robert "Bob" Heckler (1939-2022) was born on March 2, 1939 in Upper Turkeyfoot. He grew up wanting to become an astronaut and in adulthood spelled his last name with the "k." At the age of 15, burdened with chronic hay fever allergies, he left the family farm and joined his elder brother Merle in a carpentry apprenticeship in Jeffersonville, IN. There, he met and was united in holy matrimony with Glenda "Sue" Warren ( ? -2014), a Kentucky native and the daughter of Herman and Zina Warren. Their union endured the ups and downs of 55 years until the separation of death. The Hecklers together bore two daughters -- Tammy Lynne Hicks and Melanie Lea Heckler Ahrens. Robert utilized his carpentry to build residential and commercial structures in and around Louisville, KY. He took on an assignment to build the first Montgomery Ward store in Twenty-Nine Palms, CA. Of the California experience, the family said "They fell in love with the warm weather but not the desert winds blanketing the house with a layer of dust each morning!" The growing development market in Florida attracted the Hecklers to relocate in the mid-1960s, and in 1965 they put down roots in Dunnellon. Among Robert's Sunshine State projects was as foreman of a carpentry team which constructed Units 1 and 2 of Florida Power Corporation's facility in Crystal River, FL. Then for three decades, from about 1971 to retirement in 2001, he was a welding specialist. He built four custom homes for his family over the years, and helped build and renovate a number of residences for others. When once asked, he could not reach a count of the number of houses on which he had worked. In the community, Robert was a charter member of the Dunnellon Jaycees Club and served a term as president. He liked to organize children's events such as Easter egg hunts, school playground enhancements and rundraising. He was especially known for the 1967 Christmas parade when, said the Somerset Daily American, "he orchestrated Santa's arrival by boat at Blue Cove Springs to the delight of all the children." He was a people person and could discuss a wide range of topics, from current events and politics to science and exploration of space. Sadly, Glenda Sue died at the age of 72, in Ocala's Legacy Hospice House, on April 3, 2014. Pastor Eddie Fulford, of Dunnellon's First United Methodist Church, presided over the funeral service. Interment followed at Good Shepherd Memorial Gardens, Ocala. An obituary was printed in the Citrus County Chronicle. Robert lived for another eight years as a widower. He was gathered away by the angel of death at age 83 on June 14, 2022. The remains were lowered into eternal sleep in Good Shepherd Memorial Gardens.

  • Granddaughter Granddaughter Tammy Lynne Heckler married Michael Hicks. They live in Citrus Springs, FL.
  • Granddaughter Melanie Lea Heckler and Don Ahrens have dwelled in Lakeland and Citrust Hills, FL. They made news in 2006 in the Tampa Tribune when their terrier McCormock won a gold medal in a hurdles event in the Purina Incredible Dog Challenge at St. Petersburg's Spa Beach Park. 

Sadie & Russell and children 

~ Daughter Sadie (Hechler) Sterner ~

Daughter Sadie Hechler (1886-1979) was born on Feb. 25, 1886 in or near Kingwood. 

At the age of 16, on Feb. 10, 1903, she married 23-year-old Russell Levi Sterner (1880- ? ). Rev. J.C. Cunningham led the nuptials at her home near Kingwood. Because Sadie was underage, her parents signed their consents to the union. She was six years younger than her husband.

The names of Russell's parents are unknown. He did not list them on his marriage certificate, which otherwise would have been a mandatory disclosure.

The Hechlers had seven children in all -- Oscar Ellwood Sterner, Ralph Alton Sterner, Hazel Florence Koontz, Floyd Milburn Sterner, Verda Dunmeyer Philippi, Owen Russell Sterner, Vernon Leon Sterner and Winona Dolly Sterner. Sadly, son Owen died in 1920, at about one year of age, and daughter Winona died in 1923, at age 24 days.

At the time of marriage, Russell was employed locally as a coal miner. 

In early March 1934, Sadie called her son Ralph and his son Warren to her home to show them an early blooming plant. "Come down here and I'll show you this dirty d*mn rose bush," she said. "That's a sign of death in the family, when a flower blooms out of season." She feared that it was a "token" -- a supernatural message.


Obituary, 1934

Sadly, just a month or so afterward, on April 18, 1934, Russell died at age 53. He was said by a local newspaper to have been a "well known resident of South Rockwood." He was buried in the Rockwood Independent Order of Odd Fellows Cemetery. The widowe Sadie claimed she had been forewarned by the premature rose bloom.

She also was known to use herbal medicine and superstitions to help heal sickness. If one had warts, for instance, you were to cut slices of a raw potato, rub it over the affected area, and bury it in a place where rainwater would fall, and the warts would go away. She also had the ability to take away the pain of a flesh burn by "blowing fire" -- putting salve on a burn, circling it with her finger, and saying certain words, which invariably took away the burning sensation.


Obituary, 1979

Sadie outlived all but two of her children and several of her grandchildren. When the 1940 federal census enumeration was made, she lived next to her married son Ralph and his large family.

She entered eternal rest with her death at age 93 on June 5, 1979. Interment of the remains was in the Rockwood IOOF Cemetery, with Rev. Dewayne Johnson leading the funeral. A short obituary was published in the Somerset Daily American

Son Oscar Ellwood Sterner (1905-1973) was born on Dec. 7, 1905 in Black Township near Rockwood. On Sept. 27, 1929, he married Evalene L. Weimer ( ? - ? ). They had seven children -- Donald Sterner, Zola Borosky, Dean Richard Sterner, Leon Sterner, Paul Sterner, Gary Sterner and Lois Bogardus. They resided in Reading Mine and Jerome, Somerset County, where they were members of the Church of the Nazarene. Oscar was a longtime coal miner and a member of the United Mine Workers of America local union #1742 of Jenners, Somerset County. Oscar died at age 68, in Lee Hospital in Johnstown, Cambria County, PA, on June 18, 1973. 

  • Grandson Dean Richard Sterner married Elaine Mardelle Zeeg in August 1955. Dean was a veteran of the Korean War, serving in the European and Far East Theatres. After the war, he enrolled at the Johnstown Trade School for Veterans. Elaine was a secretary to Dr. George W. Katter of Johnstown.


Ralph & Fern's 50th anniversary

Son Ralph Alton Sterner (1907-1982) was born on June 20, 1907 in rural Black Township near Rockwood. On May 14, 1928, when Russell was age 20, he married 18-year-old Fern Knopsnyder (1909-1998). They went on to produce eight children, two of whom died under tragic circumstances -- the children were Alton Glen Sterner, Lloyd Sterner, Rev. Warren Sterner, Ray Sterner, Lee Sterner, Ruth Bailey, Otis Lowell Sterner and Loraine Boden. The Sterner and Knopsnyder families were close, and Ralph's brother Vernon Sterner (1921-1970) married Bernice Knopsnyder ( ? -1970). They were members of the Church of the Brethren in Rockwood, where a cousin, Rev. William Mullen Minerd, was pastor for some 15 years. (In fact, an original newspaper clipping of Rev. Minerd's obituary may be found today in a Sterner family Bible in Rockwood.) Ralph was a longtime trackman for the Western Maryland Railway, a job from which he eventually retired. The family mourned in 1953 when son Alton was killed as a member of the United States Army in Korea. They wept again in 1969 when son Lloyd was killed in a freak sawmill accident. They celebrated their golden wedding anniversary on May 14, 1977, with a family dinner. Ralph died at age 74 in Somerset Community Hospital on Feb. 19, 1982. His remains were laid to rest in the Rockwood IOOF Cemetery. Fern is believed to have outlived her husband by 16 years. She passed away on Oct. 19, 1998. 

  • Grandson Warren Clyde Sterner (1929-2020 was born on April 13, 1929. He was wedded twice. In November 1950, Warren eloped to Cumberland, MD to marry Alice LaVerne Ackerman ( ? - ? ), daughter of Stewart Ackerman of Meyersdale. News of their marriage license was published in the Cumberland Evening Times. Circa 1953, the Sterners produced a daughter, Nancy Jean Hay. Later, in January 1958, he again eloped to Cumberland to be joined in holy matrimony with Bernadette June Roddy (May 19, 1936-2018), daughter of Morris and Mora (Myers) Roddy of Somerset. The couple remained together for 60 years until the separation of death. Warren earned a living for more than 45 years through employment with Rockwood Manufacturing. He also was a lay speaker and minister at Ridge Top Church and held a membership in the Rockwood United Methodist Church. He was featured in a front-page article in the Somerset Daily American, which called him "a self-taught artist," adding that he "enjoys painting beloved scenes of his youth, as well as building clocks and woodworking... His paintings have been displayed at the Meyersdale Train Station and at Laurel Arts in Somerset." He loved to ride trains at Cass, WV, often taking his grandsons along for the experience. Among his other hobbies were tying flies and playing banjo, guitar and violin. The Daily American said of Bernadette that she "worked at the Somerset County Home and Hospital, and later, at the Rockwood Area School District in the cafeteria. She was a member of Christ United Methodist Church for 58 years, where she taught Sunday School and VBS as well as serving on various boards. She was also a member of the Rockwood Historical Society for several years." On July 22, 2006, Warren said prayers at a special ceremony at the Younkin Reunion, during which a tree was planted at the Kingwood Odd Fellows Picnic Grove in memory of reunion founder and publisher Donna (Younkin) Logan. He was featured in our "Photo of the Month" for October 2008, posed with four of his railroad paintings on display at the historic Mt. Union Church in Somerset County. Sadly, Bernadette died at the age of 81 in Somerset Hospital on April 6, 2018. Rev. Scott Ream officiated at her funeral service, followed by interment in the Rockwood Odd Fellows Cemetery. An obituary appeared in the Daily American. Burdened with Alzheimer's, Warren survived his wife by two years and was admitted into Siemon's Lakeview Manor. There, at the age of 91, he succumbed to death on Sept. 12, 2020.

Great-granddaughter Nancy Jean Sterner wedded Dean Hay Sr. They produced two children -- Dean Hay Jr. and Kevin Hay. Dean Jr. has been a pastor for many years in the Somerset County area.



Warren Sterner prays at the 2006 Younkin Reunion tree-planting ceremony in Kingwood in memory of reunion founder Donna Younkin Logan

  • Grandson Alton Glen Sterner (1931-1953) was born in about 1931. He was employed in young manhood by Rockwood Manufacturing Company. On Feb. 4, 1952, he and Alma Marie Patton ( ? - ? ) slipped away to Cumberland, MD to be married. Presiding over the ceremony was Rev. H.I. Bowersox of St. Paul's Lutheran Church. In announcing the marriage, the Meyersdale Republican said that the bride "was attired in blue satin with white accessories. Her only ornament was a single strand of pearls." Alma was the daughter of Arthur Patton of Rockwood and a graduate of Rockwood High School. Together, the couple produced one daughter, Carolyn Sue Fisher. During the Korean War, Alton enlisted in the U.S. Army and was assigned to the Fifth Regimental Combat Team, Company L, a light weapons unit. He was shipped overseas. Tragically, he was killed in action in North Korea on June 19, 1953. His body was returned home for burial, and he was laid to rest in the Rockwood Odd Fellows (IOOF) Cemetery. His widow, Alma, was quoted in the Sept. 28, 1953 edition of Time Magazine, saying her "bad heart" kept her from attending the funeral. In reality she had eloped with the military officer who had escorted her husband's body home, and then quickly moved with him to Waterbury Center, VT. (Click here to see the article in full.) In 1998, our reunion theme honored Alton and the other cousin-soldiers in our extended family who have given their lives in the ultimate sacrifice of defending our nation's freedom. Click to view our Honor Roll of all known cousins who have given their lives in the military service of our nation.

    Many years later, on June 2, 2021, in a ceremony held at the Rockwood American Legion Post #279, local officials renamed a Rockwood bridge in his memory. The structure, on the site of the old Shaff's Bridge, spans the Casselman River. In addition to Alton's brother Lee and three nieces, taking part in the ceremony were, Somerset County commissioners Colleen Dawson, Pamela Tokar-Ickes and Gerald Walker, and Rockwood Mayor Melissa Cramer, and Kirk Moore, American Legion Commander for Somerset County and the President of the Rockwood Historical Society. Releasing statements were Pennsylvania State Rep. Carl Walker Metzgar (R-Somerset/Bedford), Pennsylvania State Sen. Pat Stefano (R-Fayette/Somerset/Westmoreland). Metzgar said that "“PFC Sterner’s bravery and sacrifice in defense of our nation are nothing short of heroic,” said Metzgar. “Our fallen military heroes paid the ultimate price to protect liberty and freedom throughout the world, and they deserve our never-ending gratitude. I’m proud to honor PFC Sterner’s memory and service by memorializing him here, in the town he called home. Stefano added that "At the young age of just 22, PFC Sterner gave his life in service to our country. He was honored with a Purple Heart and is remembered at the Korean War Veterans Memorial in Washington. It’s also important to recognize his sacrifice in Somerset County since he was a Rockwood native. May the bridge serve as a reminder for us all of the selflessness of serving the greater good."



Above: Alton Glen Sterner in Korea, left, and his grave in Rockwood. Below: a Rockwood bridge re-named in his memory in 2021. Courtesy Linda Marker

  • Grandson Ray V. Sterner (1932-2021) was born on Jan. 25, 1932 in Black Township, Somerset County. He was joined in wedlock with Arlene Grace Baer (Oct. 16, 1934-2021), daughter of Peter and Mayme (Klineaman) Baer. Their union endured the ups and downs of an extraordinary 69 years. The couple made a home for decades in Rockwood. Their brood of offspring were Gloria Johnston, Paul Sterner, Connie Shaffer and Lorrie Bruner. At one time, Ray earned a living with Rockwood Manufacturing. His final employer was the Pennsylvania Turnpike Commission, from which he retired. In the community, Ray belonged for 25 years to the Rockwood Fire Department, and the family held a membership in Christ United Methodist Church. Arlene worked for a coat factory in New Centerville for a time. Sadly, at the age of 89, Ray passed away on May 23, 2021. Rev. Doug Burns presided over the funeral service, with burial following in the Odd Fellows Cemetery in Rockwood. Arlene only outlived her spouse by a month and three days. She joined him in eternity, as a resident of The Patriot, on June 26, 2021. In their respective obituaries in the Somerset Daily American, the family asked that any memorial donations be made to the American Heart Association.

Great-granddaughter Gloria Sterner was united in wedlock with (?) Johnston. She has resided in Berlin, Somerset County. In May 2021, she and her sisters, along with all three Somerset County Commissioners and the Mayor of Rockwood, helped to dedicate the Alton Glen Sterner Memorial Bridge in memory of their uncle who had been killed in the Korean War some 68 years earlier.

Great-grandson  Paul Sterner wedded Brenda. Their home in 2021 was in Berlin, Somerset County.

Great-granddaughter Connie Sterner married (?) Shaffer. She lived in Somerset circa 2021.

Great-granddaughter Lorrie Sterner was joined in matrimony with Randy Bruner. The couple has dwelled in Somerset.

  • Lloyd R. Sterner

    Grandson Lloyd Ruben Sterner (1934-1969) was born on April 1, 1934 in Black Township, Somerset County. He served in the U.S. Army during the Korean War, enlisting on March 22, 1954 and assigned to the Support Company of the 503rd Air APO. He trained as a paratrooper and in December 1954, he was with the 11th Airborne Division at Fort Campbell, KY, before being transferred for "Exercise Snowbird" maneuvers to Alaska. Then in January 1956, he was moved to Germany with the Army's Operation Gyroscope. He received his honorable discharge on March 11, 1957. Lloyd was united in the bonds of holy matrimony with a distant quadruple cousin, Nola M. Gary (Aug. 27, 1939-2013), daughter of Harry R. and Cora (Sanner) Gary. Together, the couple produced a family of children -- Lloyd W. Sterner, Tammy Rohrs Berkey and Greg Wayne Sterner.

    Tragedy struck on June 11, 1969 when Lloyd died in a workplace accident at the age of 35. While laboring at the Ankeny Bros. Lumber Co., said a newspaper, he was "struck in the abdomen by an end of a six-by-eight inch timber that was kicked back by a gang edger he was operating... The 14-foot timber was being fed through the machine under heavy air pressure when the accident occurred." He was dead on arrival at Somerset Community Hospital. Interment of the remains was in the Independent Order of Odd Fellows Cemetery in Rockwood. Nola remained a widow for two years. She married again, on Oct. 22, 1971, to Darwin "Tom" Hoover of Rockwood. They pair had one child of their own, Amy Lee Tunstall. See the Gary biography for more about Nola and her second family.

Great-grandson Lloyd W. Sterner ( ? - ? ) joined the U.S. Marine Corps in December 1975. He became a gunnery sergeat and received a Navy Achievement Medal for his work in recruiting in West Virginia. He was stationed at a Marine tactical electronic warfare squadron in Cherry Point, NC in 1992. Circa 1995, he was a computer analyst aboard the aircraft carrier USS America, a ship which carried 5,000 Marines and sailors. He first married Cathy ( ? - ? ) and were the parents of Von Sterner. Later, after a divorce, he wedded Margo Miller ( ? - ? ). Margo is an accomplished amateur photographer who exhibits her body of work at the "Margo Miller Fine Art" website.

Great-granddaughter Tammy Sterner ( ? - ? ) was pictured in the Somerset Daily American in November 1981 for high school activities and future plans. She has been married twice, first to Steve Rohrs ( ? - ? ), son of Frank E. and Joann (Webreck) Rohrs Jr. Tammy and Steve lived in Glencoe, Somerset County in 2013. Later, she wedded (?) Berkey.

Great-grandson Greg Wayne Sterner ( ? - ? ) - In young manhood he worked for Helen's Restaurant at Seven Springs. On June 1, 1991, in nuptials held at the Middlecreek Church of the Brethren, he was joined in wedlock with Kristie Lynn Campbell ( ? - ? ), daughter of Larry and Donna Campbell of Normalville. The nuptials were performed by Rev. Greg Gohn and Rev. Robert Blank, and were announced in the Somerset Daily American. Kristie was a 1988 graduate of Connellsville Area High School and, at the time of marriage, worked at Good Sport at Seven Springs.


Chrysler plant and quality control testing line in Detroit

  • Granddaughter Ruth C. Sterner (1937-2017) was born on April 16, 1937. She married James E. Bailey Jr. (July 6, 1929-1979), son of James E. and Mary R. (Harvey) Bailey Sr. of Acosta, Somerset County. James was a U.S. Army veteran of the Korean War. The couple first made a home in Acosta in the mid-1950s. They relocated later in the 1950s to Tiffin, OH. In time they migrated once more to Michigan, where James secured employment with Chrysler Corporation. The three children they bore together were Theresa Pettre, Ralph Bailey and Kimberly Bailey. Their home circa 1977 was in Madison Heights, MI. Sadly, at the age of 49, James passed away without warning at home on March 2, 1979. His remains were shipped back to Acosta for funeral services conducted by Rev. Lloyd A. McCollum and burial in Jenners Crossroads Cemetery. His obituary was printed in the Meyersdale Republic. Ruth outlived her spouse by decades. She resided in Michigan in 1998-2013. She succumbed to death at the age of 79 on April 4, 2017. She too was laid to rest at Jenners Crossroads. Inscribed on the face of their grave marker is this epitaph: "What we keep in memory is ours unchanged forever."

Great-granddaughter Theresa Bailey wedded Wayne Pettre. In 1979, they dwelled in Warren, MI.

Great-grandson  Ralph Bailey grew up in Madison Heights, MI.

Great-granddaughter Kimberly Bailey spent her childhood in Madison Heights, MI.

  • Grandson Lee Sterner lives in Somerset, PA. In May 2021, he helped dedicate the Alton Glen Sterner Memorial Bridge in memory of his late brother who had been killed in the Korean War nearly 70 years earlier.
  • Grandson Otis Lowell Sterner (1942-2013) was born on Jan. 18, 1942 near Rockwood. He married Bernice Mae (Miller) Leasock ( ? - ? ). She had three children from an earlier marriage, Steven W. Leasock, John Charles Leasock and Cynthia Raye Leasock Mimna Witosky. Said the Daily American, Otis was employed for "many years at both the Rockwood Insurance Co. and Rockwood Manufacturing." He was a volunteer for many years with the Rockwood Fire Department and a member of the Rockwood Sportsmen and Fraternal Order of Eagles. He died at age 71 on Sept. 5, 2013. Interment was in Rockwood Cemetery.

Step-great-grandson Steven W. Leasock

Step-great-grandson John Charles Leasock

Step-great-granddaughter Cynthia Raye Leasock married (?) Mimna and (?) Witosky.

  • Granddaughter Lorraine H. Sterner ( ? - ? ) was born in (?). In May 1958, not married, she gave birth to a son, Robert Eugene Sterner. The child was raised by her parents. Sometime during the 1970s, she was united in wedlock with World War II veteran David E. Boden (March 8, 1923-1997), son of James and Mary (Sheeler) Boden of Garrett, Somerst County. He was the widower of Mary Jane Sharpe (April 20, 1926-1971), and brought these offspring to the second union -- Ronald R. Boden, Darlene Boden, Donna Mae Boden, Kenneth Boden and William Boden. David was a longtime electrician with Jones & Laughlin Steel in Pittsburgh. The family resided in Sewickley, near Pittsburgh. David belonged to the Veterans of Foreign Wars and American Legion posts in Ambridge, PA. Lorraine and David are known to have been together in the 1977 to 1982 timeframe. Grief descended up on the Bodens on Sept. 29, 1977 when stepson Ronald was killed in an automobile accident in Franklin Park Borough at the age of 25. David succumbed to death in the Veterans Administration Hospital in Butler at the age of 73 on Feb. 5, 1997. The remains were transported to Rockwood for funeral services led by Rev. Don Judy. Burial was in Highland Cemetery in Garrett. Circa 1998, Lorraine and her widowed sister Ruth Bailey made their residence in Detroit. Her fate is unknown.

Great-grandson Robert Eugene Sterner Sr. (1958-2016) was born on May 31, 1958 in Somerset to parents who were not married. He was raised by his Sterner grandparents in Rockwood. He made his home in adulthood in Garrett, Somerset County. Robert was united in holy matrimony with Pauline Wellington ( ? - ? ). Together, they produced a family of four -- Robert Eugene Sterner Jr., Andrew Sterner, Travis Sterner and Tracey Sterner. Robert's favorite activity was fishing. Sadly, at the age of 57, he succumbed to death at home on Jan. 6, 2016. Pastor Randy Haulk led the funeral service, and the remains were lowered into the sacred soil of Garrett's Highland Cemetery. The obituary appeared in the Somerset Daily American.

Step-great-grandson Ronald R. Boden (1952-1977) was born on July 4, 1952 in Allegheny County, PA. He was a 1972 graduate of North Allegheny High School, and circa 1977 was employed at Homestead Valve Company. On the fateful day of Sept. 29, 1977, at the age of 25, he was killed in an automobile accident in Franklin Park Boro. News of the tragedy was published in the Somerset Daily American. Burial of the remains was in Garrett Cemetery.

Step-great-granddaughter Darlene Boden wedded Ronald Wellington. They were in Zelienople, Butler County in 1977 and in Sewickley in 2005. The couple's known children were David Wellington, Scott Wellington and Steve Wellington.

Step-great-granddaughter Donna Mae Boden dwelled in Sewickley circa 2005.

Step-great-grandson Kenneth C. Boden (1954-1997) was born on Oct. 25, 1954 in Sewickley. He entered into marriage with Patricia McQuaid ( ? - ? ). Their one known son was Kevin Boden. The Bodens made their residence in 1977 in Butler, Butler County, PA. Death swept him away in Butler Memorial Hospital on April 22, 1997. burial of the remains was in Garrett Cemetery, with Rev. Don Judy preaching the funeral sermon. The Somerset Daily American published an obituary.

Step-great-grandson William Boden (1961-2005) was born on Feb. 4, 1961 in Sewickley Valley Hospital. News of his birth was announced in the North Hills News Record. He dwelled in Sewickley. Unmarried at the age of 44, he resided in Sewickley. He died at Allegheny General Hospital on Dec. 4, 2005. His obituary was printed in the Somerset Daily American.

Step-great-grandson David E. Fisher ( ? - ? ) relocated to Colorado Springs.

Daughter Hazel Florence Sterner (1908-1977) was born on Christmas Eve 1908 in Black township. She wed Charles E. Koontz (1906-1983) on Oct. 2, 1935. He was the son of Jerry and Tracy (Walker) Koontz. They resided in Rockwood and together bore two daughters who sadly died in infancy. The Koontzes were members of the United Church of Christ in Rockwood. Charles was a longtime railroader and belonged to the Brotherhood of Railroaders as well as to the Rockwood Volunteer Fire Company. He is mentioned by name in a list of "old time railroaders" in the booklet Rockwood Centennial 1857-1957. Charles died in Somerset Community Hospital at age 77 on April 30, 1983. His remains were interred in the Rockwood IOOF Cemetery, following a funeral led by Rev. Jack Hazlett.


Floyd Sterner, 1944

Obituary, 1987

Son Floyd Milburn Sterner (1913-1987) was born on Feb. 17, 1913 in Black Township near Rockwood, Somerset County. He never married, and was considered by many to have an exceptionally disagreeable personality. He was valedictorian of the Rockwood High School Class of 1931. Later, he served during World War II with the United States Army Medical Corps. After the war, he worked until retirement at the Rockwood Poultry Plant. He died in Somerset Community Hospital at the age of 74 on Oct. 19, 1987. 

Daughter Verda Irene Sterner (1916-1951) was born on Aug. 25, 1916 in Black Township. She was married twice. Her first husband was Walter G. Dunmeyer Jr. (1918-1941), son of Walter G. and Rosie (Pletcher) Dunmyer Sr. of Milford Township, Somerset County. They united themselves in holy matrimony on Sept. 8, 1939, when Verda was age 23 and Walter 21. Walter was a farmer and laborer, and they made their residence in Rockwood. Sadly, at the age of 23, suffering from heart disease ("angina"), he was stricken by a heart attack and died on Dec. 15, 1941. Mildred Berkey of Rockwood signed the death certificate. Burial was in Pleasant Hill Cemetery. Verda's mother, who had buried apples in October to be dug up in mid-winter, later said that she suspected someone in the family would die, after digging up the apples and seeing that one of them was green, following an old family superstition. Later, Verda married Clyde R. Phillippi ( ? - ? ). She had no children to either marriage. Heartache shook the couple in about 1948 when Verda was diagnosed with cervical cancer at the age of 32. She lived for another three years, but death swept her away on Oct. 12, 1951, at the age of 35. She was laid to rest in the Rockwood IOOF Cemetery.

Son Vernon Leon Sterner (1921-1970) was born on Aug. 28, 1921 in Black Township near Rockwood. He married Bernice Knopsnyder ( ? -1970) on Oct. 15, 1941. They had four children -- Barry L. Sterner, Donna Gail Baker, Delenna Cieman and Brenda Baker. The Sterners made their home in Rockwood. Bernice passed away on July 11, 1970. Sadly, Vernon died less than two months after his wife, at age 49, on Sept. 6, 1970. Rev. Arnold Ansell officiated at the funeral, with burial in the Rockwood IOOF Cemetery. 

  • Granddaughter Delenna Sterner married James Howard Cieman of Johnstown, Cambria County. At the time, she was a pediatric nurse at Johnstown Memorial Hospital, and he was an airman first class with the United States Air Force 33rd Tactical Fighter Wing, stationed at Eglin Air Force Base in Florida. Later, they made their home in Melrose Park, IL, and in Pottstown, Montgomery County, PA.
  • Granddaughter Brenda Sterner (1945-2013) was born on Sept. 19, 1945 in Rockwood. In about 1970, she married Kenneth L. Baker. They had no children. The Bakers resided in Royersford, Montgomery County, PA, and were married for a total of 43 years. Sadly, Brenda died at the age of 67, at Pottstown Memorial Medical Center, on June 4, 2013. An obituary was published in the Somerset Daily American.
  • Grandson Barry L. Sterner (1948-2005) was born on Sept. 28, 1948 in Rockwood.. He was married and had two children -- Jeffrey Sterner and Michele Miller. Barry was a military veteran, and was a member and a longtime club manager of the Rockwood American Legion Post. He enjoyed the out of doors, especially fishing and hunting. He also belonged to the Rockwood Sons of the American Legion, Confluence Veterans of Foreign Wars Post and the Rockwood Sportsmen's Club. He died at the age of 56, at the Meyersdale Medical Center, on Feb. 6, 2005.

~ Daughter Mary (Hechler) Kreger ~

Daughter Mary Hechler (1889-1961) was born on June 30, 1889 in Kingwood, Somerset County. 

She was united in matrimony with James Garfield Kreger (Aug. 31, 1879-1968), son of Christian and Catherine (Schrock) Kreger.

The Kregers and Younkins were very closely connected. James' sister Mary married William "Edward" Younkin -- of the family of Rev. Herman and Susanna (Faidley) Younkin -- and James' sister Mary Ann wed Wesley D. Younkin of the family of Jacob C. and Lucy (Weimer) Younkin.


Obituary, 1961

Mary and James bore an only son, Blair Eldon Kreger. They employed nurse Mae McGuire of Barronvale to assist mother and son for a time during their first winter.

The Kregers were lifelong farmers and lived near Kingwood. They were members of the Kingwood Church of God. 

Mary contracted a fatal case of leukemia in the summer of 1961. She died three months later, at the age of 72, in Somerset Community Hospital, on Nov. 3, 1961. She was laid to rest in the Kingwood IOOF Cemetery, following services in the Kingwood Church of God, led by Rev. Earl Show. 

James outlived his wife by seven years and remained in Kingwood.

Suffering from hardening of the arteries and decomposition of the heart, he died at the age of 88 in Somerset Community Hospital on May 21, 1968. Obituaries were published in the Somerset Daily America, Meyersdale Republican and Connellsville Daily Courier.


Kingwood IOOF Cemetery

Son Blair Eldon Kreger (1924-2001) was born on Nov. 8, 1924 in or near Kingwood, Somerset County. In May 1943, he graduated from high school and went to work on his father's farm. In December 1949, the bachelor Blair and his kinsman Herbert E. Kreger filed an application to conduct a business known as "Kregers' General Shop," reported the Somerset Daily American. The firm was engaged in general wood- and metal-working and repair. Then at the age of 32, on Feb. 23, 1957, he was united in the bonds of holy matrimony with Shirley Fullem (March 12, 1933-2021), daughter of Gilbert and Alice (Sechler) Fullem of Meyersdale. News of the wedding was announced in the Daily American, which noted that the officiant was Rev. Hubert Alford of the Church of the Brethren in Frostburg, MD. Their marriage endured the ups and downs of four decades. The couple together produced a family of two -- Gail Palko and Kirk Kreger. Following her graduation from Rockwood Area High School, she was a volunteer with the Church of the Brethren, and for three years was involved with its Brethren Flat Creek Mission in Creekville, KY. Later, she attended the University of Maryland School of Nursing in Baltimore and was employed at Meyersdale Hospital as a nurse's aide. She also was active with the Rockwood Area Historical Society and a life member of the Historical and Genealogical Society of Somerset County, and gave of her time with the American Cancer Society. Tragically, Blair was killed in a freak farming accident on Aug. 4, 2001, at the age of 76. The Daily American said he had been "trying to unhitch a hay wagon ... when he was ned between a tractor and a hay wagon." Burial was in the Kingwood IOOF Cemetery. Shirley outlived her spouse by two decades. "Later in life," reported the Daily American, she was "an avid reader, gardener, genealogist, and traveler, taking many cross-country bus trips... She enjoyed watching classic films and birdwatching. She loved good bargains and often found them at the local thrift stores." Shirley once hosted a visit from the founder of this website. Having contracted acute leukemia, she died at the age of 88 on Nov. 11, 2021. An obituary appeared in the Daily American, in which the family asked that any memorial donations be made to the Mary S. Biesecker Public Library in Somerset.

  • Granddaughter Gail Ann Kreger (1958-living) was born in 1958. When she was 36 years of age, she wed 42-year-old Rev. John Palko ( ? -living) of Rockwood, the son of Joseph S. and Margaret E. (Bakos Selak) Palko of Johnstown. Then in 1997, she received a master's degree in nursing from the Pittsburgh Graduate School of Nursing. The Somerset Daily American said that she specialized as a family nurse practitioner and had been hired by Somerset Family Practice. They have made a home in New Centerville and are the parents of a daughter, Alyce Palko. Circa 2001, John was affiliated with the New Centerville Lutheran Parish/St. Paul Samuel's Messiah and in 2019 with Faith Lutheran Church.
  • Grandson Kirk J. Kreger (1961- ? ) was born in 1961 in Somerset Community Hospital. His birth was announced on the pages of the Somerset Daily American. Kirk grew up as a dairy farmer in Upper Turkeyfoot. In August 1999, he hosted a Somerset Conservation District pasture walk to demonstrate his "intensive grazing" system including a shade cart he had built to give shade to his herd of dairy cattle on hot weather days.

~ Daughter Maude (Hechler) Snyder ~

Daughter Maude R. Hechler (1895-1986) was born on Nov. 30, 1894 in Markleton, Somerset County. 

At the age of 26, on Aug. 16, 1921, she married 32-year-old Edwin Dee Snyder (1889-1980). He was the son of A.C. and Lucy J. (Phillippi) Snyder of Rockwood, Somerset County. The ceremony was performed by Rev. W.S. Shimp of Kingwood. 

Their two children were Mary Hill and Paul Snyder.

Edwin served in the U.S. Army during World War I. He held bachelor's and master's degrees from the University of Pittsburgh. He taught in the high schools of Somerset and Johnstown, PA for 43 years and was secretary of Ferndale Borough for 28 years. They were members of the Christ United Methodist Church, where Edwin taught Sunday School.


Obituary, 1986

Despite her husband's focus on education, Maud was very superstitious. When one of her great-nephews was diagnosed with asthma, she made the boy's father promise that he would stand the boy against an apple tree, drill a little hole in the tree level with the top of the boy's head, cut some of his hair, stuff it in the hole, put a plug in the hold, and as he grew up and walked past the hole, the asthma would go away. And it did. 

Edwin died in Johnstown at the age of 91 on June 16, 1980. Following a funeral led by Rev. Ralph Solida, his remains were laid to rest in the Rockwood IOOF Cemetery. 

Maude outlived her husband by eight years. She moved to Silver Spring, MD to reside with her married daughter Mary Hill. She died in Silver Spring on Sept. 10, 1986.

Son Paul Snyder has lived in Monroeville, near Pittsburgh. 

Daughter Mary Snyder wed (?) Hill and made her home in Silver Spring, MD.

~ Son Ross Hechler ~


Ross's automobile with its new 
owner, nephew James E. Leslie

Son Ross Hechler  (1904-1989) was born on June 2, 1904 in or near Kingwood, Somerset County. He was a laborer and resided in Fort Hill, Somerset County, as an adult. 

On Oct. 19, 1932, Ross wed Agnes Evelyn Sechler (1910-2005), the daughter of John M. and Bertha (Snyder) Sechler of Fort Hill. Ross was age 28, and Agnes 22, at the time. Rev. Charles A. Tracey officiated. 

They had one daughter, Faye Hechler. The Hechlers were farmers and members of the Fort Hill Church of God. They resided in a mobile home in Fort Hill.

At some point, Ross became an invalid. Unable to drive, he sold his automobile to his nephew, James Earl Leslie, who is seen here with the vehicle.

Tragically, in February 1988, the Hechlers' home was broken into by three robbers, one of whom who "brutally" beat Agnes, but left Ross alone. The bandit made off with more than $10,000 "in old bills, known as gold certificates," reported the Somerset Daily American. The trio later was apprehended and sentenced to jail.

Ross died at the age of 84 on Feb. 15, 1989, in Somerset Hospital. He was laid to rest in the Kingwood IOOF Cemetery, after a funeral led by Rev. Nevin Umbel. 

Agnes survived her physical and emotional ordeal. She outlived her husband by 16 years. She died at age 94, at home, on Sept. 8, 2005.


Fort Hill, Somerset County

~ Daughter Corda Eleanor (Hechler) Leslie Keslar ~


Kingwood Cemetery

Daughter Corda Eleanor Hechler (1892-1958) was born on April 6, 1892 in or near Kingwood. 

At the age of 16, in 1908, Corda wed32-year-old James "Beaver" Leslie (1886-1915), son of John and Jane (Sanner) Leslie.

The four known children born to this union were Orpha Leslie, Gladys Erma Leslie, James Earl "Kes" Leslie and Leah Lytle.

Daughters Orpha and Gladys died young -- with Gladys succumbing of tuberculosis and pneumonia at the age of seven months, 25 days on April 16, 1914.

The Leslies were members of the Church of God, and James belonged to the Ursina Lodge of the Odd Fellows. He "was a young man of exceptionally fine character," said the Meyersdale Republican. "He was a devoted father and husband, a sincere Christian and on the last day of his life showed true Christian resignation to the decrees of a Higher Power." 

When the federal census was enumerated in 1910, Corda, James and daughter Orpha resided in Addison Township, Somerset County. James' 18-year-old brother Edward Leslie lived under their roof that year. James' occupation was listed as saw mill laborer, and his brother's as a farm laborer.


The sanitarium in Mont Alto, where James was treated for pneumonia


Meyersdale Republican, 1915

James later was employed as a watchman for the Western Maryland Railway at Fort Hill. While working outside in the winter of 1914, he "contracted a severe cold that turned to pneumonia and later into tuberculosis," reported the Meyersdale Republican. "He had been to Mont Alto for treatment where he improved; but on his return home, about a year ago he slowly and imperceptibly continued to lose his health and strength until the end came. On the Monday before his death, he was down to Confluence, but from his return home until his death he sank rapidly."

Tragically, James died on June 23, 1915, at the age of 28. His remains were laid to rest in the Kingwood Cemetery in same section as Corda's grandparents, following a funeral officiated by Rev. John Boyd. He was but 28 years, six months and nine days of age. Corda was left as a young widow with a three-year-old son.

After two years in mourning, Corda married again, on Oct. 20, 1917, to widower Grover C. Keslar (May 10, 1884-1956), son of William and Emma Eunice (McClintock) Kesler. The ceremony was performed in Confluence, Somerset County by W.M. Bracken. Grover's first wife died on March 30, 1912, and he brought a young son to the marriage, Charles Keslar.

At the time of the second marriage, 25-year-old Corda was employed as a merchant, living at Fort Hill, and 32-year-old Grover as a farmer, residing in Ursina. They later made their home in Fort Hill.

The Keslars went on to have four more children of their own -- Mary E. Koontz, Elsie Chaney, Maurice Weldon Kesler and Evelyn Alma Keslar. 


Obituary, 1958

Heartache rocked the family in March 1921, when daughter Evelyn died of "acute indigestion" as she neared her third birthday. "She was a bright and dear little girl and had seemed to be well and played around with the children until about 6 o'clock...," said the Meyersdale Republican, "when she became quiet, but as she did not complain nor seem to be suffering in any way, the parents did not know she was ill until about 10 o'clock, when her little cheeks began to fade. The parents then, as soon as possible, tried to obtain medical aid, which they could not get, until after death had laid its icy hand on the dear little one."

The family grieved again in November 1946 when married daughter Elsie Chaney died of kidney failure three days after having given birth.

Circa 1956, Grover was employed as a railroad trackman.

Grover suffered for a decade or more with obesity and heart disease. He was felled by a heart attack and passed away on March 20, 1956, at the age of 71. Burial was in the IOOF Cemetery, following a funeral held from the Kingwood Church of God, led by Rev. David Cole. Son Morris Kesler of Confluence signed the death certificate.

Corda died in Price Hospital at the age of 66 on June 18, 1958. Rev. H.P. Anderson preached at her funeral, which was followed by burial in the Kingwood Cemetery.


James E. Leslie

Son James Earle "Kes" Leslie (1911-1984) was born on Aug. 30, 1911 in Fort Hill, Somerset County. At his birth, a record was notated in the family Bible. Later, when he needed an official Pennsylvania birth certificate, his mother, Cyrus McClintock and Austin Sechler all came forward to attest to the correctness of his birthdate. He was age four when his father died, and but six when his mother remarried to Grover Keslar. James was renamed "Leslie Earl Keslar" which led to his nickname of "Kes" but in fact he later took back his birth name. In adulthood he stood 5 feet, 8 inches tall and weighed 147 lbs, with blue eyes and brown hair. He also had what he called a "lame leg." James married Barbara Mae Miller (Sept. 6, 1915-2000) in about 1937, when he was age 26. She was the daughter of John C. and Amanda (Cramer) Miller of Middlecreek Township. Their marriage endured for 47 years. Bertha brought a daughter to the union, Ruth Alverta Moore. They bore eight children of their own -- Donald Ray Leslie, Alvin Earl Leslie, Arlene Ruggerio, Wilbur Eugene Leslie, Gloria Ream, Mary Contarino and Shielda Moore plus an infant son James who died at birth from asphyxiation. James and Barbara were farmers. Circa 1940, when the federal census was enumerated, he earned income as a road construction laborer with the Works Progress Administration. The WPA The WPA was one of the ways President Franklin Delano Roosevelt and the federal government tried to overcome unemployment and is widely considered one of the Roosevelt's largest and most ambitious undertakings of his "New Deal" to get the nation back on sound economic footing. Over the years, the WPA hired millions of out-of-work individuals to build public works projects, such as roads, bridges, retaining walls and buildings... James died at the age of 72, in Rockwood, on June 10, 1984. His funeral was led by Rev. Paul Tobias, with burial in the Kingwood IOOF Cemetery. At this death, said the Somerset Daily American, he was survived by 23 grandchildren and 14 great-grandchildren. His widow Barbara visited with the founder of this website during a research trip in the mid-1990s. At the end, she lived along Triple Creek Acres Road in Rockwood. She passed away on March 21, 2000, at the age of 84. Rev. Gerald Deffenbaugh led her funeral service.

  • Granddaughter Ruth Alverta Miller (1935-2019) was born on Sept. 24, 1935 in Middlecreek Township before her mother was married. She appears to have been raised by her mothre's parents, John C. and Amanda (Cramer) Miller. She was twice-wed. Her first spouse was Alvin "Al" Moore ( ? - ? ). They dwelled in Rockwood. The children born to the couple were David Moore Sr., Ronald Moore, Teresa Zern, Bradley Alan Moore, Brenda Shultz and Kristena Moore. The couple eventually bitterly divorced, with Alvin moving to Somerset. At the age of 53, in 1989, Ruth wedded again to 46-year-old Vietnam War Army veteran Donald Bruce "Beaver" Moore (Dec. 14, 1942-2017), also a native of Middlecreek and the son of Charles and Hazel (Cane) Moore. They made a residence over the years in Rockwood/Middlecreek. Reported the Somerset Daily American, Ruth "enjoyed crafts, and loved the outdoors and living in the mountains." Death swept Donald away at the age of 74 on May 23, 2017 while a patient in Somerset Hospital. As her health declined, Ruth was admitted to The Patriot in Somerset. She passed into eternity on Feb. 12, 2019. Her remains were lowered under the sod in Tinkey Cemetery in Indian Head, Fayette County.

Great-grandson David Moore Sr. married Diane. They have a son, David Moore Jr. and have resided in Rockwood.

Great-grandson Ronald Moore wedded Carol. They did not reproduce, and in time they divorced.

Great-granddaughter Teresa Moore has been twice-wed. Her first spouse was (?). Her second husband was Eric Zern. She has made a home in Ligonier/Latrobe, Westmoreland County, PA and in 2019 was in Sharpsburg, MD.

Great-grandson Bradley Alan Moore has been married twice. His first wife was (?). They were the parents of two daughters. He married again to Rene, and she brought three children from an earlier marriage.

Great-granddaughter Brenda Moore was joined in wedlock with Terry Shultz. They have six children.

Great-granddaughter Kristena Moore has not married. She makes a home in Somerset.

  • Grandson Donald Ray Leslie (1937-1998) was born on Oct. 7, 1937 in Fort Hill. Donald married Alice Woolley ( ? - ? ). Their union lasted for 34 years until cleaved apart by death. Their four children were Susan "Sue" Hazlett, Alan Leslie, Michael Leslie and Kelly Miller Hargrove. For 38 years, Donald was employed by Somerset Foundry. The family lived along Bromm Road in Somerset in the late 1990s. He succumbed to death in Somerset Hospital at the age of 61 on Dec. 30, 1998. Interment of the remains was in Kingwood, with Rev. Gerald Deffenbaugh officiating. An obituary was printed in the Somerset Daily American. Alice is said to have served in prison for drug-related offenses.

Great-granddaughter Susan "Sue" Leslie was married twice. One of her spouses was (?) Hazlett.

Great-grandson Alan R. Leslie (1962-1986) was born on Nov. 11, 1962. He wedded Laura Felix ( ? - ? ). They have a son, Cody Felix. Tragically over the Memorial Day weekend of 1986, while driving under the influence with two friends in the vehicle, the 23-year-old Alan was killed in an automobile accident. Reported the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, "his car left Legislative Route 55044 in Milford Township, Somerset County, and struck two trees. [He] was pronounced dead at 3 a.m. by Somerset County Coroner Wilbur Miller." The two friends were badly injured but are believed to have survived. News of the tragedy was published throughout the state.

Great-grandson Michael Leslie was joined in marriage with Lisa. Their one known son is Michael Leslie.

Great-granddaughter Kelly Leslie first was united in wedlock with Jeff Miller. They bore two offspring. In time she married again to Nathan Hargrove. They are believed to have one or more children.


Alvin E. Leslie, clearing land at Moraine State Park in Butler County, PA

  • A.E. Leslie honey products

    Grandson Alvin Earl Leslie (1940-living) was born in 1940 in Upper Turkeyfoot Township, a twin with his sister Arlene Marie. He was united in matrimony with a double cousin, Iris "Pauline" Ream ( ? -living), daughter of George Washington and Thelma (Welsh) Ream. For 28 years, Alvin was employed by the Pennsylvania Game Commission. Their three children were Alvin "Buck" Leslie Jr., Lisa Yoder and Marsha Herrod. The Leslies are well known for producing home-cultivated A.E. Leslie Apiary Honey which is sold locally throughout Somerset and Fayette Counties and graciously donated jars of their honey as door prizes at our reunions. An impressive display of their alfalfa, clover, goldenrod and wildflower honey selections is displayed at right circa 2003. In March 1998, the Leslies opened their home for a visit with the founder of this website, where much of the material on the Leslie/Keslar family was shared. The day included a long talk with Alvin's widowed mother Barbara.

Great-grandson Alvin "Buck" Leslie Jr. married Carol King. Their daughter is Kathleen Louise Leslie.

Great-granddaughter Lisa Leslie wedded Ronald Yoder. They have one daughter, Renee Yoder.

Great-granddaughter Marsha Leslie was married at one time to (?) Herrod.

  • Granddaughter Arlene Marie Leslie (1940-living) was born in 1940 in Upper Turkeyfoot Township, a twin with her brother Alvin. She was wedded three times. Her first husband was Robert Barron. Their two children were Robin Barron and Kim Barron. Sadness blanketed the family when Robin died at the age of five from a brain tumor. Arlene's second spouse was Peter Booth. They divorced. Her third marriage was to Ralph Ruggerio ( ? - ? ), who owned a trucking business in Philadelphia.. Their home circa 1984 was in New Jersey and in 2000 in Bellmar, NJ.

Great-grandson Kim Barron was married to Katie. Their three children are Michael Barron, Scott Barron and Cody Barron.

  • Grandson Wilbur Eugene Leslie ( ? - ? ) was born in (?). He relocated to Mississippi and married Peggy Ann Midrette ( ? - ? ), daughter of R.T. Midrette of Pleasantville, NJ. They were the parents of Stephanie Lee Leslie and Bethany "Beth" Johnson. The Leslies were in Madison, MS in 1975 and Carthage/Jackson, MS in 1984. Sadly, Peggy was deceased by 1998.

Great-granddaughter Bethany "Beth" Leslie has been married and has a son Chailem.

Great-granddaughter Stephanie Lee Leslie (1975- ? ) was born in 1975. News of her birth was printed in the Jackson (MS) Northside Sun.

  • Granddaughter Gloria Leslie ( ? - ? ) wedded George Henry "Bud" Ream ( ? - ? ), son of of George Washington and Thelma (Welsh) Ream. In an interesting twist, Gloria's brother Alvin married George's sister Pauline. Gloria and George put down roots in Goldsboro, PA and by 2000 were in Moscow, PA. Three children were born to this marriage, Frederick George Ream, Randy Ream and Laura Ream.

Great-grandson Frederick George Ream ( ? - ? ) was born on (?). In young manhood he was employed by Teeple Construction in Hamlin, PA. On Aug. 26, 1989, he was joined in marriage with Deborah Lynn Tylutke ( ? - ? ), daughter of Beverly Keller of Moscow, PA. The ceremony was performed by Rev. Martin Cox in Bingham Park in Hawley, PA. The couple's wedding portrait was printed in the Scranton (PA) Times-Tribune. At the time of marriage, Deborah worked as an office manager for Ecoscience Inc. of Moscow.

Great-grandson Randy Ream ( ? - ? ) was born on (?). On June 17, 1989, he wedded Renee Caporali ( ? - ? ), daughter of Michael J. Caporali of Carbondale, PA. The nuptials were held in Our Lady of Mount Carmel Church, officiated by Rev. Joseph Rafferty. Their wedding announcement was printed in the Scranton (PA) Times-Tribune. Renee was an alumna of Keystone Junior College. They were the parents of a son. He dwelled in Carbondale, PA in 1990.

Great-granddaughter Laura Ream grew up in Moscow, PA. She has resided in the Pocono Mountains of eastern Pennsylvania and has a son, T.J.

  • Granddaughter Mary Leslie ( ? - ? ) was born on (?), a twin with her brother James who died in childbirth. Mary has been married twice. Her first spouse was Larry G. Blough Sr. ( ? - ? ) of Rockwood. They bore these offspring -- Larry G. Blough Jr. and Stacey Beliveau. Later, she was joined in marriage with Raymond Vincent Contarino (April 3, 1932-2005), a native of Yonkers, NY and the son of Leonardo and Venera Contarino. He is believed to have had several offspring to an earlier marriage -- Donna Casmer, Cathy Contarino and Ray Contarino Jr. The couple migrated to Maine and later to Franklinsville, NJ (2000). Reported the Somerset Daily American, Raymond "was an original partner of Contarino Construction in Woodbury, N.J. He enjoyed many interests including skiing, scuba diving, and bowling." By 2005, the couple relocated to Somerset County, PA and dwelled in Trent. Sadly, Raymond died at home in Trent at the age of 73 on Dec. 28, 2005, with an obituary appearing in the Daily American. In 2006, Mary grieved at the untimely death of her son Larry, in Philadelphia, at age 40 on Nov. 24, 2006.

Great-grandson Larry G. Blough Jr. (1966-2006) was born on Nov. 8, 1966 in Connellsville. In adulthood he lived in Rockwood and liked to fish. He often was named in newspapers for run-ins with the law. While in Philadelphia, he died at the age of 40 on Nov. 24, 2006. His obituary was printed in the Somerset Daily American.

Great-granddaughter Stacey Blough married (?) Beliveau ( ? - ? ). They have lived in Trent. She is the mother of three -- Sierra, Amanda and Brooke.

  • Granddaughter Shielda Leslie ( ? - ? ) was united in the bonds of wedlock with Albert "Buddy" Moore ( ? - ? ). Three children born to this couple were Leslie Moore, James Moore and Samantha Moore. They dwelled circa 1984 in New Jersey and in 2000 in Bellmar, NJ.


Obituary, 1981

Daughter Leah Leslie (1915-1981) was born on Aug. 16, 1915 in Addison Township, Somerset County. She came into this world less than two months after her father's death, and thus never knew him. She grew up with Grover C. Keslar as her step-father. Leah married Raymond Lytle (1912-1986), the son of Grant and Myrtle (Fisher) Lytle of Confluence. They made their home in Fort Hill and produced a family of six children -- Lewis Lytle, Ferne Enos, Loretta Mitchell, Dale Lytle, Carolyn Pletcher and Linda Plume. The Lytles enjoyed visiting with family, with their gatherings often covered in the gossip columns of the Meyersdale Republican newpaper. Leah and her daughter Linda are believed to have been injured in an automobile accident in October 1963, when their vehicle collided with another automobile at Kingwood along Route 53. Leah died at Somerset Community Hospital on Jan. 8, 1981, at the age of 65. She was interred in the Kingwood IOOF Cemetery, with her funeral led by Rev. Roy C. Bowers. Raymond survived Leah by five years. He passed away at the age of 73 on Jan. 30, 1986. He was laid to rest beside his wife in the Kingwood IOOF Cemetery, following a funeral service preached by Rev. Nevin Umble.

  • Grandson Lewis Earl Lytle (1926-2024) was born on Jan. 20, 1936 in Confluence. He was a 1953 graduate of Rockwood High School and in June 1955 joined the ranks of the U.S. Navy. Later, upon his return home, he was employed for 35 years by Bowman Trucking, driving long-haul routes. He eventually retired from the company. In his free time he liked to listen to polka music, play cards, fish and hunt. He was joined in wedlock with Nancy A. Phillippi (July 31, 1943-2014), daughter of Robert and Amanda (McClintock) Phillippi of Addison Township. Together, they raised a family of children including Patti Lynn Woods, Vicki King, Peggy Nickelson, Robert Lewis Lytle and Gerald Lytle. They lived in Fort Hill for decades and only later came back to Confluence. They attended the United Community Church of God in Ursina. In her own right, Nancy liked to crochet, knit and sew. The angel of death cleaved Nancy away at the age of 70, on March 24, 2014, in Somerset Hospital. Lewis' cousin Rev. Dean Hay on this page led the funeral service. Sadly, Lewis died at the age of 88 in Somerset Healthcare and Rehabilitation Center on March 28, 2024. Rev. Samuel McClintock presided over the funeral rites. Burial followed in the Independent Order of Odd Fellows Cemetery in Kingwood. An obituary was published in the Somerset Daily American in which the headcount of survivors was given as 11 grandchildren and eight great-grandchildren.

    Great-granddaughter Patti Lynn Lytle was an alumna of Rockwood Area High School and in young womanhood worked for Rockwood Insurance Company. Circa 1985, at the age of 19, she married a distant cousin, 25-year-old Charles Frederick Woods Jr. (1959-2019), son of C.F. and Reba (Clevenger) Woods Sr. of Ursina, of the family of Benjamin Franklin "Badger" and Emily (Younkin) Clevenger. Their union held firm over the thick and thin of 39 years. Charles was a 1977 graduate of Turkeyfoot Valley Area High School, a member of the Army National Guard in Somerset and employed at the time at Hidden Valley Resort. Two offspring of the couple were Matthew Steven Woods and Michelle Kibler. Charles was a veteran of the U.S. Army National Guard and held a membership in the Turkeyfoot Fish and Game Association and Confluence post of the Veterans of Foreign Wars. The Woodses lived in Markleton in 2009-2019. Sadly, Charles Jr. died at the age of 59 on Sept. 25, 2019. Burial was in the Kingwood Odd Fellows Cemetery. The widowed Patti moved to Confluence and was there in 2024. Their son Matthew was employed by Somerset Well Drilling in 2013 and married Rebecca. Their daughter Michelle wed James Kibler of Somerset.

    Great-granddaughter Vicki Lytle wed David King. They established a home in nearby Farmington, Fayette County.

    Great-granddaughter Peggy Ann Lytle entered into marriage with Carl Monroe Nickelson III ( ? - ? ), also of Confluence. The pair has made their dwelling-place in Confluence and are believed to be the parents of Carl Monroe Nickelson IV,  Amanda Nickelson and Renee Dawn Nickelson. 

    Great-grandson Robert Lewis "Rob" Lytle (1978-2009) was born on Nov. 23, 1978 in Somerset. He was the father of Katherine Lytle. He put down roots in Markleton and held a membership in the Scullton Rod and Gun Club. Grief cascaded over the family when Robert died at the age of 30 on May 2, 2009. An obituary was published in the Somerset Daily American. His cousin Rev. Dean Hay led the funeral service, with burial in the Odd Fellows Cemetery in Kingwood.

    Great-grandson Gerald Lytle (1967-2016) was born on April 16, 1967. He was joined in wedlock with Stephanie. Their homeplace in 2009-2016 was in Fort Hill. The family was plunged into grief when Gerald surrendered to the angel of death on July 27, 2016. Rev. Jim Monticue presided over the funeral rites, with burial following in the Odd Fellows Cemetery in Kingwood.

  • Granddaughter Fern Lucille Lytle ( ? - ? ) was born in (?). In 1958, she wed a distant cousin, James W. Enos ( ? - ? ), son of Walton and Mary (Goniak) Enos of the family of Samuel G. and Mary Ann "Polly" (Younkin) Phillippi. Two children born into this family were Teresa Fern Enos and James W. "Jaime" Enos Jr. They made a home in Fort Hill. The family avoided a tragedy but suffered terrible loss when their 80-year-old, red brick home was destroyed by fire on March 29, 1982. In reporting the story, the Somerset Daily American said that "firemen from Confluence and New Centerville were hampered by the lack of an adequate, handy water supply in fighting the blaze... [Mrs. Enos] had put shortening on the stove to heat and had gone upstairs to make a bed, but found the kitchen engulfed in flames when she came back downstairs... Water had to be hauled from the Casselman River about three-fourths of a mile south of the burning building. " The couple went to stay with James' mother and brother John in Ursina until housing could be found. They were able to settle back in Fort Hill. Fern and the children were pictured in the Daily American in August 1985 when they had to be inoculated with anti-rabies injections after their pet dog had a fight with a rabid raccoon. They later relocated to Jessup, MD.

    Great-granddaughter Teresa Fern Enos was a 1984 graduate of Rockwood Area High School. She held a job with Picway Shoes as a young woman. On Aug. 27, 1988, at the age of 22, she was joined in wedlock with 26-year-old Jon Mark McCracken of Berlin, son of Robert and Jann McCracken. Rev. Thomas P. Bonomo officiated the exchange of vows at the Somerset Alliance Church. The marriage was announced in the Somerset Daily American. Jon was a 1979 graduate of Somerset Area High School and at the time of marriage was serving with the U.S. Army and posted to Tageu, Korea.

    Great-grandson James W. "Jaime" Enos Jr. (1971- ? ) was born in about 1971. He was a 1989 graduate of Rockwood Area High School and then joined the U.S. Air Force, where he trained as a fuels specialist at Chanute Air Force Base in Illinois. Once back in civilian life, he found employment in construction in Laurel, MD.

  • Granddaughter Loretta Lytle ( ? - ? ) was born on (?). On Dec. 3, 1958, she slipped away to Oakland, MD to be married to Hilton Mitchell ( ? - ? ), son of Frank Darrell and Mary "Alta" (Reeves) Mitchell. The known offspring of this family were Ginger Ling, Debra Colflesh, Mary Ling, Darrell Mitchell, Ronald Mitchell and Gregory Mitchell. Circa 1981-2009, they lived near Kingwood/Markleton. Hilton earned a living working for Mostoller Truck Repair and Lake Road Repair, a position from which he retired. Circa 1972, he served as vice president of the parent-teacher association in Rockwood. When their daughter Ginger gave birth to a daughter, the family gathered for a five-generation photograph that was published in the Somerset Daily American. In addition to Hilton, those in the image were his mother, his grandmother Lila Reeves of Shawleytown, daughter Ginger and granddaughter Lori. Loretta and Hilton were pictured in a Jan. 18, 2009 Daily American article marking their golden wedding anniversary. Circa 2024, they resided in Berlin, Somerset County.

    Great-granddaughter Ginger Lee Mitchell ( ? - ? ) was born on (?). She was an alumna of Rockwood Area High School and then found a job with the Camp Soles YMCA. Circa 1977, she wed Roger H. Ling, son of Hayes Ling of Somerset. The two families were close, and Ginger's sister Mary married Roger's brother Jeffrey. Roger was a 1973 graduate of Rockwood High and at the time of marriage helped on his father's farm. They were in Somerset in 2009.

    Great-granddaughter Debra Kay Mitchell ( ? - ? ) was born on (?). She was a 1978 graduate of Rockwood High School and as a young woman worked for the YMCA's Camp Soles. She tied the knot with Charles David Colflesh, son of Homer Colflesh of Garrett, Somerset County. Charles was a 1978 alum of Rockwood High and employed by Soberdash Coal Company at the time of marriage. They established a homeplace in Garrett.

    Great-granddaughter Mary Lucille Mitchell ( ? - ? ) was born on (?). She was a 1982 graduate of Rockwood Area High School. In about 1983, she wed Jeffrey Glenn Ling, son of Hayes E. Ling of Somerset. The two families were close, and Mary's sister Ginger married Jeffrey's brother Roger. Jeffrey was a 1978 Rockwood High alumnus and earned a living working on his father's farm. Mary was in Rockwood in 2009. 

    Great-grandson Darrell Ray Mitchell ( ? - ? ) was born on (?). He was a 1983 graduate of Rockwood Area High School and then in 1989 received a degree in banking and finance at the University of Pittsburgh branch campus in Johnstown. His first employment was as a financial planner in Johnstown with Prudential Insurance. On Sept. 23, 1989, he was united in matrimony with Julie Lynn Wahl ( ? - ? ), daughter of Earl K. and Betty Wahl of Somerset. Their nuptials were led by Rev. H. James Meyers at Trinity Evangelical Lutheran Church. The happy couple was pictured in a related story in the Somerset Daily American. Julie was a 1985 Rockwood High alumna and a 1989 graduate of Pitt/Johnstown, having majored in economics/management. She was employed at the time of marriage by Beeghly and Keim Jewelers in Somerset. By 2009, they were living in Somerset.

    Great-grandson Ronald Mitchell ( ? - ? ) was born on (?). He relocated to Tucson, AZ. 

    Great-grandson Gregory Scott Mitchell was joined in wedlock with Amanda Lynn Stillwagon ( ? - ? ), daughter of Charles and Charlotte Stillwagon of Markleton. Together they bore a daughter in 2000 and twins sons in 2005. They dwelled in Rockwood in 2009 and filed for divorce in 2015.

  • Grandson Dale Lytle was a graduate of Rockwood High School. He served in the U.S. Army during the Vietnam War. He trained in light vehicle operation and maintenance at Fort Huachuca, AZ in 1967 and was deployed to Vietnam in April 1968. He was united in matrimony with Earlene Harris ( ? - ? ), daughter of Charles and Wilma (Linkous) Harris and stepdaughter of Earl M. George. For many years they have resided in Mineral Ridge, OH, with him employed on the assembly line of General Motors, and her as a machine operator with General Electric.
  • Granddaughter Carolyn Joann Lytle ( ? - ? ) was born on (?) and grew up at Fort Hill. She was a 1966 graduate of Rockwood Area High School. Circa 1966, she married Ernest "Eldon" Pletcher ( ? - ? ), son of Roy D. and Martha Esther (King) Pletcher of Markleton. The only child born into this union was Christopher Roy Pletcher. Eldon was employed in the mid-1960s with Somerset County Trust Company. In the 1984-2007 timeframe, they resided in Williamsport, MD but by 2024 had moved to Rockwood. They endured the heartbreaking death of son Christopher at age 23 just before Christmas in 2007.

    Great-grandson Christopher Roy Pletcher (1984-2007) was born on Jan. 24, 1984 in Cumberland, MD. He grew up in Williamsport, MD and was a 2002 graduate of Williamsport High School. Over the next several years, he studied at the University of New Mexico in Albuquerque, Baruch College in New York City and Shepherd University in West Virginia. He was employed by Wal-Mart in Frederick, MD, belonged to the First Church of God in Mercersburg, PA and the 290th Military Police Company of the Maryland National Guard, and held memberships in the Williamsport post of the American Legion and the Civil Air Patrol. In his free time he liked to hunt and play sports. Said the Somerset Daily American, "He was the recipient of a congressional appointment to the U.S. Military Academy at West Point." Sadly, at the age of 23, he died two days before Christmas 2007 in Hagerstown, MD. An obituary was published in his parents' hometown newspaper, the Daily American. The remains were transported to Kingwood for burial in the Odd Fellows Cemetery, with services conducted by Rev. Paul Tobias at the Kingwood Church of God. Each year on the anniversary of his death, his parents placed a remembrance notice in the Daily American.

  • Granddaughter Linda Lytle lived in Niles, Trumbull County, OH in 1981. She tied the marital cord with James Plume and remained in Niles as of 2024. Linda is believed to be a talented bowler who has competed in the Women's International Bowling Congress over the years.

Daily American, 1997

Daughter Mary E. Keslar (1919-1997) was born on Nov. 23, 1919 in Fort Hill. She married Irvin E. "Bill" Koontz (1913-1998), and their marriage endured for 59 years. The family resided in Confluence, Somerset County. They had only one daughter, Mary Elizabeth Koontz, who sadly died in infancy. They were members of the Fort Hill Church of God. Mary passed away in Meyersdale Manor at the age of 77 on Sept. 1, 1997. Her newspaper obituary was printed in the Somerset Daily American. The following year, on Nov. 9, 1998, Bill died at the age of 85.

Daughter Elsie Amanda Keslar (1921-1946) was born on Oct. 20, 1921 in Fort Hill. She was united in the bonds of wedlock with Howard Edward Chaney ( ? - ? ). The couple resided in Fort Hill and bore a son, Edward M. Chaney. During the ninth month of her pregnancy, she was stricken with an embolism which led to acute kidney failure. Even though she delivered her baby in Price Hospital in Confluence, her body was unable to recover. She succumbed to the Angel of Death at the age of 25 on Nov. 16, 1946. Funeral services were led by Rev. Coffman at the Kingwood Church of God. Interment of the remains was in the Independent Order of Odd Fellows Cemetery in Kingwood, and the Meyersdale Republican ran an obituary.

  • Grandson Edward M. Chaney (1946- ? ) was born on Nov. 13, 1946.

Son Maurice Weldon Keslar (1926-2008) -- also spelled "Morris" -- was born on March 11, 1926 in Fort Hill. He worked for a distant cousin circa 1958 -- farmer Earle Sechler of Confluence of the family of Rev. Herman and Susanna (Faidley) Younkin. In June 1963, when he was 37 years of age, Maurice eloped to Cumberland, MD to marry Gloria Marie Felker ( ? -2015), who at the time was living at Eckharet Mines and one of 14 children of Frank J. and Grace E. (Lenhart) Felker. Although the couple did not reproduce, they stayed together for 45 years. They resided in rural Confluence for decades, with Maurice working for 39 years in the employ of CSX Railroad. Sadly, he died in Somerset Hospital at the age of 82 on Oct. 31, 2008. Rev. Dean Hay Jr. -- grandson of Maurice's cousin Warren Clyde Sterner -- co-officiated the funeral service with Samuel McClintock. Interment was in the Kingwood IOOF Cemetery, and an obituary was printed in the Somerset Daily American. Gloria lived as a widow for another seven years and remained in Confluence. At the end, she went to live with a friend and caregiver, Kathy Parnell, and succumbed in her home at the age of 84 on Aug. 16, 2015. An obituary appeared in the Daily American.


Copyright 2000, 2002-2003, 2005-2006, 2008, 2012-2013, 2016, 2021, 2024 Mark A. Miner