What's New

Photo of the Month

Minerd.com Blog


National Reunion


Cousin Voices

Honor Roll

In Lasting Memory

In the News

Our Mission and Values

Annual Review

Favorite Links

Contact Us


Louisa Ann (Ream) Wilkins


Louisa Ann (Ream) Wilkins was born on April 7, 1811 or April 17, 1814 in Ursina, Somerset County, PA, the eldest daughter of Samuel W. and Mary (Rheims) Ream. Records citing her birth year differ.

On Nov. 3 or 17, 1833, when she would have been approximately age 22, Louisa married 23-year-old William Wilkins (March 8, 1810-1853) of Addison Township, Somerset County. He was the son of James and Abigail (McClintock) Wilkins and the grandson of Peter and Margaret (Mitchell) McClintock and also the grandson of Alexander and Mary "Mollie" (Eston) McClintock.

They were the parents of 11 known offspring -- Levi Wilkins, Margaret Heinbaugh Stanton, James Wilkins, John Wilkins, Louisa Mowry, William "Marshall" Wilkins, Rosanna Lane, Alfred Norlan "Alf" Wilkins, Lavina Enlow, Julia Ann DeLauter and Cornelia Aldrich.

Their home in 1850, as per the United States Census, was on a farm in Addison Township, Somerset County. Their residence was on the hilly slope of the famed "Fort Hill," which at the top sat a flat, mesa-like space once inhabited prehistoric Native American Monongahela people dating from A.D. 1275 to 1300. The hill contained many freshwater springs which would have been convenient for cooking, drinking, bathing and gardening for the Wilkins family.


Above: view of Fort Hill. Below: farm of "Mrs. Wilkins" (circled), Addison Township, 1860. The blue line marks the meandering Casselman River, which claimed the life of her son Levi. Library of Congress


Sadly, William died in Addison Township in 1853, terminating their marriage which had lasted for two decades. Details of his passing are unknown.

The federal census-taker recorded Louisa in 1860 as heading a household with eight children under her roof, ranging in age from seven to 21, with eldest sons John and William working as farmers and daughter Louisa earning income as a seamstress. A map of the region, made by Edward Walker in 1860, shows her farm marked as "Mrs. Wilkins."


Fort Hill historical marker

R.P. Cummins, sheriff of Somerset County, published an advertisement in the Somerset Herald and Whig in April 1863 that he was going to hold an inquest at the Wilkins home to determine whether the farm could be partitioned among the children "without prejudice to, or spoiling of the whole." If not, he then would have the value appraised so it could be offered for sale.

Louisa outlived her spouse by at least three decades. She made out her last will in June 1890, and passed away on July 5, 1890. Burial was in the Southern Methodist Church Cemetery in Listonburg.

In her will document, she appointed Jesse Liston of Addison Township as executor. She also bequeathed $5 cash to her daughter Margaret Stanton in addition to pictures, dresses and other gifts which the daughter had given to her over the years.

Many years after Louisa Ann's death, in 1939 and 1940, Fort Hill's mesa was excavated by archaeologists and laborers of the Works Progress Administration (WPA). They found significant evidence that some 270 Indians had inhabited 35 dwellings there in a circular compound.

The couple is named in the 1939 book Genealogy of the Stukey, Ream, Grove, Clem, and Denniston Families, authored by Elmer Leonidas Denniston.


Ream/Wilkins entry in the Genealogy of the Stukey and Ream Family book


~ Son Levi Wilkins ~

Son Levi Wilkins (1835-1850s) was born in about 1835. When he was 15 years old, in 1850, he resided with his parents on the home farm.

Very little is known about his life, except for his horrific end sometime during the decade of the 1850s. In March 1896, in an article headlined "Remiscences," the Somerset Herald recounted the old story about the incident which occurred in the Casselman River:

The bed of the river is very rough, and mighty boulders, and saw-logs, and all kinds of debris, are caught in the twirling waters, grinding, groaning, splitting, tearing along, in one mighty congomerate mess, "in one red burial blent." Some dark secrets have been covered by this turbulent stream, some awful tragedies enacted, many homes made desolate, and widows and orphans made to mourn.... A good many years ago, a young man named Levi Wilkins living in Addison township, on the famous "Fort Hill" farm, went across the river one Saturday morning, to visit to his uncles, Wm. and Levi Ream, who lived on the farm on which Ursina is located. He had no trouble to cross the river in the morning, but, during the day, rhe water rose rapidly, caused by the spring freshets. He started home in the evening, intending to cross on horseback, at a fording a little ways below the tunnel. He did not come home, and his people thought he was going to stay over Sunday with his relatives; and his relatives supposed he had arrived safely at home. So that he was not really missed for several days, when a search was made. The horse was found a mile or so down the river, his bridle caught on a bush, and nearly dead from starvation. The body of his master was found further down, some days after. No human being can ever know the desperate fight young Wilkins made for his life, in the darkness and storm, and no one but the Supreme Judge knows under what circumstances he gave up his life that had been given him and that was so dear to his widowed mother, and his friends.


Rocky, dangerous Casselman River which claimed Levi Wilkins in the 1850s


~ Daughter Margaret Anne (Wilkins) Hinebaugh Stanton ~

Daughter Margaret Anne Wilkins (1835-1924) was born on July 31, 1835 in Listonburg. As a girl she was taught the skill of spinning fabrics which she used throughout her long life.

On May 19, 1854, at the age of 18, she was first married to 26-year-old Jonathan "Zenas" Hinebaugh (or "Heinbaugh") (Nov. 1827-1902) of Confluence, the son of Jonathan and Hulda (Tissue) Hinebaugh. His name also has been spelled "Zenis."

Their five children were Felicia Josephine Dodd, Mary Amelia Woodmancy, Jonathan McClelland (or "Mellon") Hinebaugh, Marshall Sullivan Hinebaugh and William Hinebaugh.


Bates House in Chariton, Iowa

The Hinebaughs first dwelled in Lower Turkeyfoot, Somerset County, and are listed there in the 1860 census, with 12-year-old Nathan Little living in the household. Sometime between 1867 and 1870, after the birth of their fifth child, the Hinebaughs migrated to Iowa, to a new farm home in Chariton, Appanoose County.

They are shown there on the 1870 and 1880 federal censuses. When the book The History of Appanoose County, Iowa was published in 1878, by the Western Historical Society in Chicago, Zenas was listed as ""Hinebaugh, Z." and was marked as a farmer in Section 11, with a post office of Iconium.

The Hinebaughs' marriage ended in divorce during the early-to-mid 1880s. Zenas married again on April 11, 1888 to Mary (Hamblin) Helmick ( ? - ? ), daughter of James C. and Sarah (Ramsey) Hamblin of Tennessee. He ultimately moved to Oklahoma, living with his married daughter Mary Woodmancy, and dying there in 1902. [Find-a-Grave]

Having moved back to Somerset County, Margaret wed a second time, on Feb. 11, 1886, to 51-year-old John Stanton (July 1834- ? ). Evidence suggests that he too had been married before, and brought two daughters to the marriage, Emma Glover Moore and Mrs. Grant Pyle.

The Stantons resided in Confluence, where Margaret was a longtime Methodist. When the federal census was taken in 1910, the 75-year-old Margaret was employed as a servant in a Confluence hotel owned by Harry "Lee" Sellers of the family of Frederick and Margaret (Faidley) Dull. John Hostetler, a barkeeper, also dwelled in the hotel. She was named in the gossip columns of the Meyersdale Republican on Dec. 19, 1912 after having "spent several days here [in Addison] last week with Mrs. Mary Wilkins."

Circa 1921, at the death of her sister Rosanna Lane in Iowa, Margaret was named as a surviving sister in the Iowa City Press-Citizen. At the age of 88, Margaret filed a legal claim against her son Marshall before justice of the peace W.S. Bower, alleging assault and battery and non-support while residing in his home in Coal Run, Elk Lick Township, Somerset County. The Republican reported on the case in detail, saying that she "testified that her son, while she was living at his home at Coal Run, assaulted her and threw her around and that she had marks for nearly a month afterwards on different parts of her body. Heinbaugh and two of his married daughters testified that he always treated his mother well and that the injuries [she] received were caused by her falling down the stairs. Owing to the infirmities of age, she would stumble and run against obstructions from which she had several marks." Squire Bower had the son post bonds and, after the matter was settled, she returned to her son's home in Coal Run. In concluding its story, the Republican reported that Margaret's "second husband was the late John Stanton who died here several years ago. She owned a fine home here on Hughart street, which her son now owns. The property is valued between $2,000 and $3000."

Having been stricken with a cerebral hemorrhage, she died at the age of 89 on Nov. 18, 1924, in her son's home in Coal Run. Burial was in Salisbury Odd Fellows Cemetery, the same place where her son Marshall rests, and Rev. W.J. Tanner officiated at the funeral. [Find-a-Grave] On her death certificate, her first name is listed as "Elizabeth" but in her Meyersdale Republican obituary it is given as "Margaret Ann." (One of the daughters married Edward Sellers.)

Daughter Felicia J. Hinebaugh (1854- ? ) was born in November 1854 in Somerset County. She was a young teenager when the family relocated west to Iowa. On Jan. 21, 1878, in a ceremony held in Appanoose County, IA, the 23-year-old Felicia married Iowan Charles M. Dodd (April 1856- ? ). They produced four offspring, among them Everett Dodd, Essa "Essie" Dodd, Howard Dodd and one other. When the federal census was enumerated in 1900, the family dwelled on a farm in High Point, Decatur County, IA. By 1920, they lived in Garden Grove, Decatur County, with Charles working as a farmer, Felicia as a hotel laundress and son Howard a hired farmhand working away from home.

  • Grandson Everett Dodd (1884- ? ) was born in Feb. 1884.
  • Granddaughter Essa Dodd (1887- ? ) was born in about 1887 in Iowa. On Jan. 2, 1904 in Leon, Decatur County, the 16-year-old Essa married 19-year-old Ira Beavers ( ? - ? ), son of James Sheldon and Emma (Richardson) Beavers. They made a farming home in Garden Grove, IA and were the parents of Harold Beavers. When the 1910 federal census enumeration was made, the young family resided in Woodland Township, Decatur County. The couple divorced in about 1917, with Essa citing "cruel and inhuman treatment," as reported in the Leon (IA) Journal-Reporter. Essie supported herself and her son through her work as a cook in a restaurant. In a twist, she and her ex-husband re-tied the knot on St. Patrick's Day 1920, by the hand of Rev. Thomas F. Campbell. Morlan and Hazel Adair served as witnesses to the second wedding. Circa 1930-1940, Essa and Ira made a home on a farm in Woodland.

Great-grandson Harold E. Beavers (1907- ? ) was born in or near Garden Grove, Decatur County, IA.

  • Grandson Howard Dodd (1890- ? ) was born in Aug. 1890.

Daughter Mary Amelia Hinebaugh (1857- ? ) was born in 1857 in Somerset County. She was age 10-12 when she and her family migrated to Iowa. There, at the age of 19, in about 1876, she married a fellow former Somerset Countian, 22-year-old Rozell Woodmancy (also spelled "Woodmansee") (March 1856- ? ). The Woodmancys initially resided in Iowa, where their children were born, among them Josephine Woodmancy, Augustus Woodmancy and Elsie Woodmancy, plus three others who died young. Sometime between 1885 and 1900, the family migrated south into Oklahoma, where they settled on a farm in Kildare, Kay County. In 1900, the federal census-taker recorded the family in Kildare, with Mary's 72-year-old divorced father living under their roof. By 1910, they were empty nesters, residing in Kiawa, Harper County, OK, and then during the decade of the 1910s moved again to Buffalo, Harper County, as shown in the 1920 census. Mary Amelia was deceased by 1924.

  • Granddaughter Josephine Woodmancy (1876- ? ) was born in October 1876 in Iowa. Unmarried at age 23, in 1900, she resided on her parents' home farm in Kildare, Kay County, OK.
  • Grandson Augustus Woodmancy (1881- ? ) was born in December 1881 in Iowa. At the age of 18, he lived with his parents on their farm in Kildare, Kay County, OK, and labored on the farm. Circa 1904, he is thought to have passed the examination of the Oklahoma Board of Pharmacy. He is believed to have married Ella Hagen in Oklahoma County, OK on June 21, 1910. By 1915, he sereved as secretary/treasurer of the Oklahoma Pharmaceutical Association.
  • Granddaughter Elsie Woodmancy (1885- ? ) was born in June 1885 in Iowa. She migrated into Oklahoma as a young girl with her family, and grew up on their farm in Kildare, Kay County.

Son Jonathan McClelland (or "Mellon") "John" Himebaugh (April 16, 1863-1957) was born on April 16, 1863 in Somerset County, with his name originally spelled "Hinebaugh." Born during the Civil War, he likely received his middle name in honor of the famed Union Army General George Brinton McClellan. As a boy, he made the journey to Iowa with his parents, and apparently remained there for good, even after his divorced mother moved back to Pennsylvania. The 1880 census shows him at age 18 working as a farmer on his parents' farm in Chariton. On Oct. 14, 1886, at the age of 23, Jonathan married 17-year-old Jeannette Simpson "Nettie" Traupel (June 27, 1869-1950), a native of Morgan, Decatur County, IA. They were the parents of Floyd Virgil Hinebaugh, Charles Rufus Hinebaugh, Iva Josephine Hammil, Pearl Leon Hinebaugh, Verda Naomi Walsh Bailey and John Paul Hinebaugh. The family home in 1900-1910 was on a farm in High Point, Decatur County, IA. Nettie was injured in a freak accident in November 1910 while riding home in their buggy after a visit in Garden Grove. Their horse "became frightened at Mr. Stearn's auto, throwing her out and bruising her up quite badly," said the Leon Journal-Reporter, "which required the service of a doctor. Her many friends hope for a speedy recovery." At that time, their last name was spelled "Himebaugh" in print. Sadly, Nettie was burdened with kidney disease and, after suffering a cerebral hemorrhage, died at the age of 80 on Feb. 22, 1950. Burial was in High Point Cemetery. John passed away on May 30, 1957 in Leon, Decatur County, IA. [Find-a-Grave]

  • Grandson Charles Rufus Hinebaugh (1888-1965) was born in Feb. 1888 in Iowa. He grew up working on the family farm in High Point, Decatur County, IA. He was married twice. His first bride, whom he married on March 19, 1913, was Virgie Scott ( ? - ? ), daughter of S.L. and Bell (Pond) Scott. Their nuptials were held in the parsonage of the Methodist Episcopal Church in Garden Grove by the hand of Rev. J.G. Duling. Ray and Nora Scott were witnesses. They dwelled in Garden Grove Township and were the parents of Lillian Pauline Cook. Tragically, circa 1921, Virgie died. Their daughter was taken into the home of an uncle and aunt, Max and Iva Hammil. Charles supported himself as a widower through his work as a mechanic. then on Christmas Eve 1925, at age 37, Charles wedded 32-year-old J. Ruth Brown ( ? - ? ), daughter of James Rodgers and Elizabeth C. (Schwilck) Brown of Garden Grove. Rev. Carl Brown officiated. The pair went on to bear two sons -- John Hinebaugh and Lehman Paul Hinebaugh. The Hinebaughs remained in Garden Grove for decades. At the age of 77, Charles died of a stroke on Nov. 10, 1965, in Decatur County Hospital in Leon. His remains were lowered under the sod of Garden Grove Cemetery. The Des Moines Tribune published an obituary.

Great-granddaughter Lillian Pauline Hinebaugh (1919- ? ) was born on July 15, 1919 in Garden Grove Township. News of her birth was published in the Leon (IA) Journal-Reporter. She was only two years of age when her mother died. She then was taken into the home of an uncle and aunt, Max and Iva Hammil. Her early years were spent in Garden Grove, IA and in Flandreau, SD, where she graduated from high school in 1937. At the age of 19, on Sept. 21, 1938, Lillian married Norris Cook ( ? -1980), with the nuptials held in Landreau. The couple's residence was in Flandreau. Their only daughter was Nancy Buck. They also held a special place in their hearts for Betty Cullen. Lillian was talented organist. She was a member of the Athena Club and Second Presbyterian Church. Sadness blanketed the family when Norris died no Dec. 14, 1980. As her health declined, she was admitted as a resident to Riverview Manor. On July 19, 2004, just four days after her 85th birthday, she died in the Manor.

Great-grandson John Hinebaugh resided in Des Moines, IA in 1965. After more than two decades in Des Moines, he moved in 1970 to Garden Grove. Tragically, at the age of 69, he was seriously injured in a bulldozer accident, and died in Mercy Hospital Medical Center in Des Moines on Aug. 11, 1996.

Great-grandson Lehman Paul Hinebaugh ( ? -2004) was born in Garden Grove, IA. He served in the U.S. Armed Forces during World War II. He relocated to Detroit, where he was employed by the U.S. Army's division which constructed automotive and tank vehicles. Lehman was married twice. His first wife was Lillian ( ? - ? ). Their two sons were Dennis Hinebaugh and Frederick Hinebaugh. In about 1960, they relocated to Springfield, MO. The first marriage dissolved in divorce in November 1985. In about 1986, he was joined in marriage with Virginia ( ? - ? ), and a year later they moved to St. Petersburg, FL. Lehman passed away in Bon Secours Manor in St. Petersburg at the age of 88 on Jan. 29, 2004. His obituary appeared in the Tampa Bay Times.

  • Souvenir of Max and Iva Hammil's residence
    Granddaughter Iva Josephine Hinebaugh (1889-1971) was born on Sept. 21, 1889 in High Point, IA. On Jan. 15, 1913, at the age of 23, she wedded 24-year-old farmer Max C. Hammil (1890-1980), a native of Moweaque, IL who had grown up in Ida Grove, IA. His parents were John C. and Mary (Hemphrey) Hammil. The newlyweds spent their first year farming. He then became employed in 1920 as a rural mail carrier with the U.S. Postal Service in Garden Grove, and in 1935 transferred to the post office in Flandreau, SD. He remained in the job until retirement in 1960. For 40 years, he had a perfect safety driving record. In about 1921, at the untimely death of Iva's sister-in-law Virgie (Scott) Hinebaugh, she and Max took in the motherless niece and raised her as their own. They also were the parents of John Max " Jack" Hammil. Sadly, Iva succumbed to death on Christmas Eve 1971 in a hospital at Dell Rapids. At the age of 90, Max died in Riverview Manor Nursing Home in Flandreau on May 10, 1980. His obituary appeared in the Sioux Falls (SD) Argus Leader. Burial was in Flandreau Cemetery.

Great-grandson John Max "Jack" Hammil (1934-2000) was born on April 16, 1934 in Ottumwa, IA. His earliest years were spent in Garden Grove, IA and then in 1936 the family moved to Flandreau, SD. His youth was spent in the Boy Scouts, attaining the Eagle Scout award. He was a 1952 graduate of Flandreau High School. He was awarded a degree in applied science in 1956 from the University of South Dakota. Then on June 17, 1956, he wedded fellow USD student Shirley Janet Roth ( ? - ? ). Two sons born to this union were Jeffrey Donn Hinebaugh and James Allen Hinebaugh. The newlyweds first dwelled in Richland, WA, where Jack had obtained employment with the Hanford Atomic Works of General Electric. Then in 1957, armed with a military commission he had received in college through the Reserve Officer Training Corps program, he joined the U.S. Army and was deployed to Fort Monmouth, NJ, where he served in the Signal Corps. Once his tour of duty was completed, they returned to Richland. He rejoined GE but also was promoted to captain of the Army Reserves in 1965. GE transferred him to a transformer plant in Oakland, CA in 1965, and then to a computer plant in 1969 in Oklahoma City. Even though the plant was sold a number of times, eventually to Seagate, he remained there and retired in 1996. In the community, they were members of the Church of the Savior, where he was a choir member and elder. In his free time, Jack liked to camp, fish, hunt, take photographs, square dance, travel and work with wood. Stricken with brain cancer in early 2000, he passed away at home on Aug. 26, 2000. He was pictured in his obituary in Oklahoma City's Daily Oklahoman.

  • Grandson Floyd Virgil Hinebaugh (1894-1986) was born in Aug. 1894 in Iowa. He spent his teenage years laboring on the family farm in High Point, Decatur County, IA. When he was 26 years of age, on Nov. 25, 1920, he entered into marriage with 20-year-old Elsie Pearl Gammon (1900-1971). Their two sons were Harold Gaines Hinebaugh and John Robert Hinebaugh. The Hinebaughs lived for many years in Garden Grove, IA. The federal census enumeration of 1930 shows Floyd employed in a public garage as an automobile repairman. In 1940, he worked doing repairs in a Garden Grove shoe and harness shop. Sadly, Elsie Pearl died in 1971, with burial in Garden Grove Cemetery. Within two years, Floyd wed a second time to Sylvia Rinkler ( ? - 1982), also of Decatur County. She brought a daughter to the union, Valora Werthman. Sylvia earned a living as a waitress with Buy-a-Bite Shop for 25 years until retirement. They relocated in the early 1970s to Leon, IA. There, they belonged to the Methodist Church Loving Chapel. As her health failed, Sylvia was admitted to a nursing home in Leon and passed away there at age 88 on March 8, 1982. The remains were transported to burial to Garden Grove Cemetery. Her obituary was published in the Kansas City Star. Floyd lived as a widower for another four years. Death swept him away at the age of 99, in Leon, on Aug. 2, 1986.

Great-grandson Harold Gaines Hinebaugh (1923- ? ) was born in about 1923. At the age of 17, in 1940, he worked as an automobile garage mechanic in Garden Grove, IA.

Great-grandson John Robert Hinebaugh (1925- ? ) was born in about 1925. He is known to have delivered newspapers in boyhood.

Step-great-granddaughter Valora married (?) Werthman. They produced four children. In 1982, she dwelled in Kansas City.

  • Grandson Pearl Leon Hinebaugh (1897-1958) was born on Sept. 15, 1897 in Garden Grove, Decatur County, IA. He served in the U.S. Navy during World War II for 37 months, from November 1942 to October 1945, with the specialty of machinist's mate. He returned to Garden Grove following his service. Death swept him away at the age of 60 on March 24 1958. Burial was in High Point Cemetery, Decatur County.
  • Granddaughter Verda Naomi Hinebaugh (1905-2005) was born in about 1905 in High Point, Decatur County, IA. Evidence suggests that she was twice-married, first to (?) Walsh and later to (?) Bailey. In 1971-1975, Verda dwelled in Leon, IA. Evidence hints that her final home was Westview Acres and that she passed away in Leon at the age of 100 on June 6, 2005. Her remains were cremated and placed into eternal sleep in High Point Cemetery in Decatur County. A brief death notice in the Des Moines Register said that no funeral services were planned.
  • Grandson John Paul Hinebaugh (1908-1975) was born in about 1908 in High Point, Decatur County, IA. He was twice-wed. His first wife's name is not known. The pair's only child was Donna Jean Thompson. On Jan. 11, 1947, he entered into marriage with Romayne ( ? -1990). During World War II, John served in the U.S. Army. The family is known to have resided in Kansas City, with John working for the Neevel Luggage Manufacturing Company as a machine operator. Romayne earned income with the Lake City Armory and Katz Drug Store. He retired in 1970, and she in 1971, and they moved to Trenton, MO. Sadly, he died at home on April 24, 1975. An obituary appeared in the Kansas City Times. Burial was in Resthaven Cemetery, located north of Trenton. As a widow, Romayne remained in Trenton and outlived her spouse by 15 years. She died in a Trenton hospital at the age of 77 on Jan. 7, 1990. The St. Joseph News-Press printed an obituary.

Great-granddaughter Donna Jean Hinebaugh ( ? - ? ) wedded (?) Thompson. Her address in 1975 was 135 North Oakley, Kansas City.


Early postcard of a trout stream in Elk Lick, near Meyersdale


Son Marshall "Sullivan" Heinbaugh (1865-1931) was born in 1865 in or around Somerset County. He migrated to Iowa with his parents and siblings in the late 1860s. The 1880 census shows him at age 15 working as a farm laborer on his parents' farm in Chariton. After the divorce of his parents in the early 1880s, he and his mother moved back to Somerset County. In about 1886, at the age of 21, he married Sarah "Sadie" Tipton (Nov. 8, 1870-1916), daughter of John and Elizabeth (Grine) Tipton of Somerset County. They made their home in Coal Run, Elk Lick Township, Somerset County. Of their 10 children, the known ones were Lloyd Walter Hinebaugh, William H. Hinebaugh, Maggie Elizabeth "Lizzie" Hotchkiss, Ira Hinebaugh, Leroy "Roy" Hinebaugh, Corrine "Cora" Barbour, Clyde Hinebaugh and Trellis Marie Lowrey Stanley. Two of the offspring were deceased by 1910. He and his son Lloyd mined coal in Elk Lick circa 1900. The federal census of 1910 shows that Marshall was a farmer, while son Lloyd owned his own butcher shop and son Ira was a farm laborer. As she aged into midlife, Sadie began to suffer from heart valve problems which led to an enlarged heart. She died from the effects of this illness at the age of 45 on Aug. 4, 1916. A year later, in August 1917, Marshall and William Tipton were hired by William P. Humes of Bellefonte, PA to open coal mine entrances on his large trace of land on Negro Mountain. Marshall kept a store in his final years. Stricken with stomach cancer, he succumbed at the age of 65 on March 12, 1931. Burial was in the Odd Fellows Cemetery in Salisbury, with Frank Hinebaugh of Boynton, PA signing the death certificate. His obituary appeared in the Meyersdale Republican.

  • Grandson Lloyd Walter Hinebaugh (1887-1960) was born on June 22, 1887 in Coal Run, Somerset County, PA. At the age of 12, in 1900, he was employed in a local coal mine in Elk Lick Township, Somerset County. By 1910, a bachelor at age 22, he was a butcher, operating his own shop, possibly in partnership with Dorsey West, who boarded with the Hinebaughs that year. Circa 1931, he was in Boynton, PA. He married Jane Gertrude Dolan (March 7, 1891-1953), a native of Bridgeport near Mount Pleasant, PA and the daughter of William and Barbara (Wood) Dolan. Their brood of offspring included two sons -- Vernon Harold Heinbaugh and Fay Walter Hinebaugh. Lloyd eventually gave up the meat business and went to work laboring in road maintenance, eventually becoming a foreman for the Pennsylvania State Department of Highways. He also was a road supervisor for Elk Lick Township. Jane was a member of the Women's Christian Temperance Union chapter in Meyersdale. Grief blanketed the family with Jane contracted cancer of the cervix and endured her suffering for six years. The angel of death whisked her away at the age of 62 on Oct. 3, 1953. Rev. H.M. Couchenour conducted the funeral service. Lloyd outlived his bride by seven years. His residence in 1960 was in Boynton, Elk Lick Township. Diagnosed with cancer of the stomach, he suffered for a year and then passed away at the age of 72 on Feb. 7, 1960. Son Vernon Hinebaugh of Boynton signed the official Pennsylvania certificate of death. Interment of the remains was in the Salisbury IOOF Cemetery, with Rev. Richard McDaniel performing the funeral rites. Traveling to attend the funeral were the following couples: Ronald Barbour of Philadelphia; Mr./Mrs. Stanley of Brooklyn, NY; Ira Hinebaugh of Dover, DE; and Clyde Hinebaugh of New Jersey.

Great-grandson Vernon Harold Hinebaugh (1911-1962) was born on June 11, 1911 in Coal Run near Boynton, Somerset County. He  made a home in Boynton, Elk Lick Township and worked as a machine operator. He tied the knot with Jennie Marie Murray ( ? - ? ). The couple's two daughters were Martha Haselbarth and Paula Bittner. Sadly, at the age of 50, after enduring liver cancer for three months, he died in Meyersdale Community Hospital in March 16, 1962. His obituary appeared in the Meyersdale Republican. His funeral was co-officiated by Rev. richard McDaniels and Rev. Paul Alumbaugh. His remains were laid to rest in Salisbury's IOOF Cemetery.

Great-grandson Fay Walter Hinebaugh ( ? - ? ) resided in 1960 in Boynton, PA. He is known to have taken an extended vacation of seven weeks in 1962 to visit relatives and friends in Maryland, Delaware, New York, New Jersey and Philadelphia. Fay appears to have been especially close to his aunt and uncle, Corrinne and Ronald Barbour of Philadelphia, as shown in reports of their visits, printed in the gossip columns of the local newspaper of the day.

  • Grandson William H. Hinebaugh (1889-1963) was born on May 15, 1889 in Elk Lick Township, Somerset County. He entered into matrimony with Clara Hersh (April 5, 1892-1967), daughter of Cyrus P. and Annie (Lenhart) Hersh, also of Elk Lick Township. Together, they bore three daughters -- Evelyn Robertson, Irene Bittner and Juanita Pritts. For decades, they resided in Boynton, PA, where William made a living as a merchant. The family belonged to the Boynton Assembly of God Church. Suffering from chronic heart disease and hardening of the arteries, he endured a cerebral hemorrhage in about 1955. He survived the head bleed and lived for another eight years. At the age of 73, he died on March 11, 1963. The remains were buried in Salisbury IOOF Cemetery. Clara endured as a widow for four years. She died at home on March 3, 1967.

Great-granddaughter Evelyn Hinebaugh (1910-1993) was born on April 22, 1910 in Coal Run, Somerset County. In 1928, at the age of 17, she gave birth to a daughter, Juanita Doris. The little girl was adopted by Evelyn's parents. Evelyn married Allen A. Robertson ( ? -1975), a native of Greenville Township, Somerset County, and the son of William and Ida (Winters) Robertson. The couple did not reproduce. They made a home in Dover, DE and later in Boynton, PA. Evelyn was a longtime sewing machine operator for Meyersdale Manufacturing Company. She was a charter member of the Boynton Cornerstone Assembly of God Church. Allen died at the age of 67, in Meyersdale Community Hospital, on May 20, 1975. His obituary was printed in the Meyersdale Republican. Co-officiating his funeral were Rev. Paul A. Harrup and Rev. William K, Ferguson. Burial was in the Odd Fellows Cemetery, Salisbury. Evelyn lived for another 18 years. She succumbed to death at age 83 on Oct. 30, 1993. Daughter Juanita (1928-2001) was joined in wedlock with Lloyd Pritts. The couple dwelled in Boynton, PA and bore these known children, Diana Lynn Pritts, Donald Pritts, Debbie Pritts, Dawn Younkin Anderson and an infant who died at birth in 1956. Sadly, Juanita died on Sept. 25, 2001 in Johnstown's Conemaugh Memorial Hospital.

Great-granddaughter Irene Hinebaugh (1912- ? ) was born in about 1912. She wedded Ulysses Frederick Bittner (April 7, 1912-1965), the son of John Z. and Nellie (Trent) Bittner. They lived in Boynton, PA and did not reproduce. Ulysses was a veteran of World War II. He owned and operated a shoe repair store in Meyersdale. The pair held a membership in the Maranatha Assembly of God Church of Grantsville, MD, and he belonged to the Salisbury post of the American Legion. Sadly, heart problems forced Ulysses to retire early. At the age of 53, he passed away on May 25, 1965. His obituary was published in the Meyersdale Republican. His remains sleep in eternal repose in the IOOF Cemetery in Salisbury.

  • Granddaughter Margaret "Elizabeth" (or"Lizzie") Hinebaugh (1892-1954) was born on March 15, 1892 in Elk Lick Township, Somerset County. She was united in the bonds of holy wedlock with Andrew Hotchkiss (Dec. 28, 1880-1967), a native of Elk Garden, WV and the son of John and Elizabeth (Crawford) Hotchkiss. Together, they produced a family of eight -- Leroy Hotchkiss, Fay Hotchkiss, Harold Hotchkiss, William Hotchkiss, Ethel Hotchkiss, Kathleen Christner, Elaine Franklin and Shirley Engle. Sadly, Elizabeth became afflicted with hypertension which led to bleeding on the brain, and was admitted to Meyersdale Community Hospital. She passed away a day later, at the age of 62, on Sept. 19, 1954. Andrew outlived her by a baker's dozen years and dwelled in Meyersdale. He died at home on Nov. 8, 1967. Rev. Paul Yoder led the funeral service, with burial in the IOOF Cemetery in Salisbury. His obituary was printed in the Meyersdale Republican, which noted that his survivors included 22 grandchildren and five great-grandchildren.


Epinal American Cemetery, France

Courtesy Dwight Anderson

Great-grandson Leroy Eugene Hotchkiss ( ? -1945) was born in (?). He was drafted into the U.S. Army during World War II and was inducted in New Cumberland, PA. He trained at Camp Pickett, VA, Camp Blanding, FL and camps in Arizona and Kansas, attaining the rank of corporal. While in Camp Blanding, he wrote a letter to the editor of the Meyersdale Republican which was published in the Feb. 11, 1943 issue. The letter concluded saying "To those folks back home who are trying with every means within their reach, I believe that every member of the armed forces meaning you and you and you, will join with me in thanking them for their understanding and cooperation in the successful completion of this war and before long we will all have our gasoline, tires, sugar, coffee and all the little things which added together, go a long way toward making our life a thing to be enjoyed as we did, not long ago." Leroy was assigned to the 315th Infantry, 79th Division, and was deployed to England in April 1944. Soon after D-Day, he was ordered into France where he was wounded in action on July 15, 1944. He was treated in England, recovered from his wound and returned to duty, receiving the Purple Heart medal. He wrote to his parents saying he was "OK' and would receive a new set of teeth. Then on Dec. 29, 1944, he went missing in action in Germany and is presumed to have been found wounded. He was evacuated to England for treatment, but could not recover. He died in an English hospital on Jan. 3, 1945. His remains were lowered into honored and eternal rest in Epinal American Cemetery and Memorial in France. Writing for the Republican, his friend J.L. Daugherty said that "He was a kind and dutiful son, who had the selfare and care of his home and parents at heart, at all times. A boy, I have known since childhood. He was well liked by young and old, by all who had the pleasure of knowing him."

Great-grandson Fay Hotchkiss ( ? - ? ) was deceased by 1967.

Great-grandson Harold M. Hotchkiss (1919-1993) was born on Sept. 24, 1919 near Meyersdale. He married Naomi Jane Hetz ( ? - ? ). Their brood of offspring included Alice E. Thogerson, Helen E. Wahl, Cynthia c.G. Olson, Mary V. Hotchkiss, Boyd F. Hotchkiss, Raymond L. Hotchkiss and John M.M. Hotchkiss. The Hotchkisses lived in Garrett and later in Meyersdale. Harold died in Meyersdale Community Hospital at the age of 73 on April 26, 1993. His obituary ran in the Somerset Daily American. Pastor Randy L. Haulk led the funeral service.

Great-grandson William H. Hotchkiss ( ? - ? ) served in the U.S. Air Forces during World War II and trained in Georgia. After the war, he moved to Florida and established a home in Lakeland.

Great-granddaughter Ethel Hotchkiss was unmarried in 1967 and dwelled in Meyersdale.

Great-granddaughter Kathleen Hotchkiss wedded Ezra Christner. Her residence in the mid-1960s-1990s was in Boynton, PA.

Great-granddaughter Elaine Hotchkiss married (?) Franklin. Circa 1967-1993, she dwelled in Meyersdale.

Great-granddaughter Shirley Hotchkiss was joined in matrimony with (?) Engle. She put down roots in West Salisbury, PA.

  • Grandson Ira Hinebaugh (1894-1971) was born in Jan. 1894. He earned his keep as a laborer on the home farm in 1910, at the age of 16. Then during World War I, he served in the U.S. Army. Ira entered into marriage with Barbara Cochran ( ? -1983). The four children they produced together were Clyde Hinebaugh, Catherine Smith, Marie Case and Gwendolyn "Gwen" Harris. The family relocated to Delaware by the mid-1920s, where they spent the rest of their years. Circa 1931, they lived in Woodside, DE, in 1933 in Wyoming, DE and in 1963-1971 in Dover, DE. In the early 1930s, working for Old Line Construction Company, he suffered a fractured kneecap while at work on a road contract. To compensate him for his injury, he was awarded $5 per week for 194 weeks. The company went into bankruptcy/receivership in 1933, and, with 100 more weeks remaining, he filed a claim to continue receiving his due. The case was reviewed by the Industrial Accident Board in an August 1933 meeting in the Delaware Trust Building, and he won his case, as reported in the Wilmington Morning News. He later earned a living for many years as a custodian at the Delaware State Police Barracks in Dover. Ira ran for election in 1938 for Kent County Recorder of Deeds but lost on the Republican ticket. The family were members of Little Creek United Methodist Church. Ira belonged to the local Veterans of Foreign Wars and American Legion posts. He was admitted to the Veterans Administration Hospital in Elsmere, DE where he died at the age of 77 on April 22, 1971. The Wilmington (DE) Morning News published an obituary. Burial was in the Odd Fellows Cemetery in Camden. Barbara lived for another 11-plus years in her home on Horse Pond Road, Dover. She surrendered to death in Kent General Hospital at the age of 87 on Jan. 13, 1983.

Great-grandson Clyde E. Hinebaugh (1926-2015) was born on Aug. 4, 1926 in Dover. He appears to have spent most if not all of his life in Dover. He married Jane ( ? - ? ). Together, the pair bore four children -- Clyde E. Hinebaugh Jr., Ashley I. Hinebaugh, Barbara M. Kersey and Rebecca M. Wynn. Clyde earned a living for more than three decades with the Dover Streets Department. In retirement, Clyde moved to Florida, settling in Poinciana, FL. He died in Poinciana on Jan. 17, 2015 at the age of 88. The remains were shipped back to Delaware for burial in the Independent Order of Odd Fellows Cemetery, Camden.

Great-granddaughter Catherine Hinebaugh married (?) Smith. She was in Westmont, NJ in 1971 and in Wildwood, NJ in 1983. She was deceased by 2014.

Great-granddaughter Marie Jane Hinebaugh ( ? -2014) was born in (?) in Salisbury, Somerset County. She relocated to Delaware in her youth with her parents and was a 1937 graduate of Caeser Rodney High School. She wedded John W. Case Sr. They made a longtime home in Dover and bore two children -- John W. Case Jr. and Steven Case. Marie earned a living working for International Laytex Company and then as a bookkeeper for Coca Cola Bottling Company, the latter position from which she retired. She endured the heartache of the death of her son John, due to cancer, on June 2, 1998. She died at the age of 94 in Dover on May 23, 2014. She was survived by seven grandchildren and eight-great-grandchildren. Her burial took place in Camden's IOOF Cemetery, with an obituary appearing in the Dover Post.

Great-granddaughter Gwendolyn "Gwen" Hinebaugh ( ? - ? ) was born in (?). In April 1949, she was united in matrimony with Clyde B. Harris ( ? - ? ), son of W.L. Harris. The wedding ceremony was held in the home of her parents, by the hand of Rev. Emil Holls of St. John's Lutheran Church. The couple was pictured in a story in the Wilmington News Journal. Their first home was in Camden, DE. Later, in 1971-1983, she resided in Sudlerville, MD.


Celanese plant in Cumberland, MD, Roy Hinebaugh's workplace


  • Grandson Leroy "Roy" Hinebaugh (1896-1976) was born in May 1896 in Meyersdale. He entered into marriage with Margaret Lowrey ( ? - ? ). The only daughter born into this union was Mildred Thomas. Their residence in 1931 was in Cresaptown, MD. Over the years, he was employed in Cumberland, MD with the Celanese Fibers Company. They belonged to the Potomac Park United Methodist Church. As a widower, Roy shared a home with his married daughter at 13437 McMullen Highway in Cumberland. With his health in decline, he became a patient in Cumberland's Memorial Hospital. There, he surrendered to death at the age of 80 on Oct. 5, 1976. His obituary was printed in the Meyersdale Republican. Rev. Harold R. McClay presided over the funeral service, with interment in Salisbury's IOOF Cemetery.

Great-granddaughter Mildred D. Hinebaugh married (?) Thomas. She lived in Cumberland, MD in 1976 at the address of 13437 McMullen Highway.

  • Granddaughter Corrine E. "Cora" Hinebaugh (1899-1985) was born on Jan. 4, 1898 in Elk Lick Township, Somerset County. She migrated to Philadelphia and was there in 1931. In time, she was joined in wedlock with Ronald H. Barbour (May 27, 1902-1968), son of George and Ethel (Griffith) Barbour. The couple did not reproduce. Their residence in 1960 was in Philadelphia, at 6118 Nassau Street, where Ronald was employed as a salesman, and they belonged to the Methodist Church. Corrine was plunged into grief when Ronald was stricken by a heart attack and admitted to the Women's Medical College in Philadelphia. There, on Jan 5, 1968, he died at the age of 65. His remains were lowered into repose in Arlington Cemetery in Drexel Hill. Corrine as a widow returned to her native region of Salisbury/Meyersdale. She surrendered to the spectre of death at home in Meyersdale on March 5, 1985. An obituary in the Somerset Daily American said that she was survived "by numerous nieces and nephews." Rev. Scott A. Bartges presided over the funeral, followed by interment in the IOOF Cemetery in Salisbury.
  • Grandson Clyde J. Hinebaugh (1899-1985) was born in April 1899. He too moved to Philadelphia as of 1931, and in 1959 lived across the Delaware River in Camden, NJ. For 35 years, he was employed as a heavy equipment operator in Philadelphia. He wedded Maryann (Gray) Anderson (April 23, 1900-1993), daughter of Will and Annie (Thompson) Gray and widow of John E. Anderson. She brought two stepchildren into the marriage with Clyde -- Eva May Falkenstein and John R. Anderson. Maryann earned a living as a telephone operator with GTE. Circa 1971, the family is known to have been in Cape May, NJ. After retirement, Clyde and Maryann returned to Somerset County and in the 1970s and early '80s were in Meyersdale. He passed away on Feb. 7, 1985 at the age of 84. Rev. Charles Harper preached the funeral sermon. The remains were laid to rest in Union Cemetery, with the Somerset Daily American printing an obituary. Maryann outlived her husband by eight years. She died at age 92, in Meyersdale Community Hospital, on Jan. 30, 1993.
  • Granddaughter Trellis Marie Hinebaugh (1904- ? ) was born in about 1904 in Elk Lick Township, Somerset County. She married Marshall Lowrey (Feb. 6, 1901-1944), son of Samuel and Janet (Walker) Lowrey, the mother an immigrant from Scotland. Nine known children produced by the couple were Mary Jane Merrbaugh, Annabelle Lowrey, Margaret Lowrey, Eugene Lowrey, Jack Lowrey, Paul Lowrey, Ray Lowrey, Robert Lowrey and Lee Lowrey. They made a home in Coal Run, Somerset County. Marshall made a living by a variety of means, among them as a village store proprietor, coal operator, farmer and justice of the peace. In the early 1940s, he held a seat on the township board of supervisors. Marshall also was active in the community as a member of the local lodges of the Moose, Odd Fellows and Knights of Pythias. On the fateful day of Jan. 16, 1944, after a discussion with a son in a bedroom at home, the son left and drove away in a truck, while at the same time Marshall pointed a .22-caliber rifle at his own head and pulled the trigger. The truck's noise is believed to have muffled the sound of the gunshot. Marshall's body was found some time later by their daughter Mary Jane. The Meyersdale Republican published a headline story, saying that "The village of Coal Run, Elk Lick Township, was the scene of a grim tragedy that occurred last Sunday afternoon and has left much sorrow and conjecture in its wake. Sorrow because a prominent citizen, the son of a highly respected aged couple, a husband, and the father of a family of nine children, died by his own hand." Rev. Thomas R. Thomas of Meyersdale led the solemn funeral service held in the Coal Run Methodist Episcopal Church, with burial in the Salisbury IOOF Cemetery. Trellis went on to marry a second time to (?) Stanley ( ? - ? ) and relocated to Brooklyn, NY. By 1971, she had moved to Long Island, NY.

Great-granddaughter Mary Jane Lowrey married (?) Merrbaugh. She dwelled with her parents in 1944. She was united in marriage a second time with (?) Mastrangelo and moved to New York City.

Great-granddaughter Annabelle Lowrey put down roots in San Diego, CA and was there in 1976.

Great-granddaughter Margaret Lowrey wedded (?) Kelly. They were in Akron, OH in the mid-1970s.

Great-grandson Eugene Lowrey migrated to Akron, OH.

Great-grandson Jack Lowrey served in the U.S. Army during World War II. In 1944, he was posted to Alaska.

Great-grandson Paul Lowrey (1925-1976) was born on June 5, 1925 in Meyersdale. He was united in matrimony with Doris Holler ( ? - ? ). They lived on East Main Street in Somerset and were the parents of Ernest J. Lowrey, Carol Masse, Richard T. Lowrey and John W. Lowrey. Paul died at the age of 51 on Oct. 27, 1976 as a patient in Somerset Community Hospital. Burial was in Salisbury Cemetery following a funeral service led by Rev. Melvin Moch. An obituary appeared in the Meyersdale Republican.

Great-grandson Ray Lowrey relocated to New York City and was there in 1976.

Great-grandson Robert Lowrey made his residence in the mid-1970s on Long Island, NY.

Great-grandson Lee Lowrey moved to New York City.

Son William Hinebaugh (1867- ? ) was born in 1867 in Somerset County. As a very young boy he migrated with his parents and family to Iowa. The 1880 census shows him at age 13 helping with farm work on his parents' farm in Chariton. Nothing more about him is known, other than when his mother died in 1924, the obituary in the Meyersdale Republican said he had "died in youth."


~ Son James Wilkins ~


Nancy Wilkins

Son James Wilkins (1837-1910) was born in about 1837.

At the age of 12, in 1850, he lived at home with his widowed mother and siblings. During the 1850s, James is believed to have headed west, and to have landed in Pleasant Valley, Johnson County, IA. There, in 1860, he boarded with the family of Charles and Dorcas Thompson and provided farm labor.

He appears to have returned home to Pennsylvania. There, on Feb. 25, 1861, at the age of 23, he was joined in wedlock with 21-year-old Nancy McMillen (Sept. 20, 1839-1939), daughter of Samuel E. and Rachel (Prinkey) McMillen. A notation of their marriage was inscribed in writing in the McMillen family Bible. Copies of the pages were donated to the Historical & Genealogical Society of Somerset County.

James' aunt Rosanna Ream was married to Nancy's brother William McMillen.


Wilkins wedding note in the family Bible
Historical & Genealogical Society of Somerset County

The couple produced four children, the eldest of whom was born in Pennsylvania -- Florence "Flora" Davis, Emma Nicholson, William Wilkins and Frank Wilkins.

Within a year of marriage, in 1862, with the Civil War aflame and a baby in tow, the newlyweds pulled up stakes and made the long trip to Iowa in company with others of the McMillan and Wilkins clans. Among the others in the party were Nancy's parents and brother and sister-in-law, William and Rosanna (Ream) Wilkins.

James purchased a farm north of West Liberty, Muscatine County and resided there for decades. By 1870, the census-taker recorded their home as in Springdale Township, Cedar County, IA, north of West Liberty, and the family getting their mail at Tipton.

Nancy was a longtime member of the Methodist Church, which she joined at the age of 12 and continued in her new home in Iowa. She also was a member of the Aid Society and the Women's Christian Temperance Union (WCTU). The couple retired in 1904 and relocated into the town of West Liberty. In September 1904, they hosted a visit from their niece, Mary McMillan, of Des Moines. In 1905, they spent a few months in California and then returned home, making their home on East Fourth Street.

At James' 71st birthday in 1908, a "delightful family reunion" was held in their home, reported the Quad-City Times of Davenport. "Two hundred fifty birthday cards and photographs were received by Mr. Wilkins. A bounteous 12 o'clock dinner was served and a very happy afternoon spent by all present." Attendees included son Will and family, son Frank and family and the families of Ed Sexsmith and Gus DeForest of Columbus Junction.


South side of Third Street in West Liberty, Iowa



Nancy Wilkins, circa 1935

James died on St. Patrick's Day 1910 with burial in Oak Ridge Cemetery in West Liberty. [Find-a-Grave] Their daughters Emma of Clarksville, IA and Flora of Defiance, IA traveled to attend the funeral.

Nancy survived her husband by 19 years, spending her final time in the home of their son Will on East Fourth Street, West Liberty. In 1925, preparing to embark on a driving trip with her sister and nephew to Des Moines, she was described by the Iowa City Press Citizen as "always ready for short pleasure trips, and will be the first of the party ready to start when the whistle blows Saturday morning."

At her 96th birthday, in August 1935, she was pictured in the Muscatine Journal and News Tribune, seated on a chair and holding a cane. The 1935 story said that she "enjoys fairly good health, her hearing is unimpaired and her vision permits her to read and to make quilt blocks. The aged woman spends many hours each summer sitting by a widow and recalling for her visitors the days when West Liberty was prairie land, when horse back riding was the major means of travel and when Indians were frequent callers in the West Liberty area."

She died in her son's home at the age of 99 on Feb. 3, 1939. Her death was front-page news in the Quad-City Times and Press Citizen, which both included her photograph. An obituary in the Times noted that her survivors included four grandchildren, four great-grandchildren and a sister, Mary Kirby of West Liberty.

Daughter Florence "Flora" Wilkins (1862-1945) was born in 1862 in Pennsylvania and came to Iowa as an infant. She taught school at some point in West Liberty. She married Robert Davis ( ? -1921). They were the parents of one daughter, Wilma A. Davis. For 67 years, she made her home in Defiance, Shelby County, IA. She was an original member of the Order of Eastern Star and the Evangelical Church. In March 1910, having received word of her father's death, she traveled back to West Liberty for the funeral. Robert passed away in Defiance in mid-September 1921. Word was telegraphed to Flora's brother in law Will Wilkins in West Liberty. Toward the end of her life, Flora moved in with her sister Emma in Des Moines, where five months later she passed into eternity, at the age of 83, in November 1945. Her death generated an obituary in the Des Moines Register.

Daughter Emma Wilkins ( ? - ? ) was born in Iowa in the mid-1860s. She was twice married. Her first spouse was Marion McBride (1864-1897), son of Thomas and Sarah McBride. They produced one known son, Forrest McBride. Sadly, Marion died at the age of 33 on Dec. 30, 1897. Burial was in Union Townshp Cemetery in Defiance, Shelby County. Emma apparently relocated to South Dakota to be with her son who had moved there. While in South Dakota, she met her second husband, Rev. John I. Nicholson (Nov. 3, 1863-1934), also spelled "Nicholsen," the son of William and Nancy (Tucker) Nicholson of Wayland, IA. John had not been married before and is not known to have fathered children. Their home in 1910 was in Clarksville, Butler County, IA and in 1933, they resided near or with her son Forrest in Eagle Butte, SD. By 1934, they were back in Iowa with a home in Des Moines. Sadly, John passed away in Des Moines on Jan. 20, 1934. Burial was in Pleasant Hill Cemetery in Washington, Washington County, IA. Emma's brother Will and family and Leland Wilkins and family traveled to attend the funeral, led by John's longtime friend and college roommate, Rev. Dr. S.P. Telford. He was survived by brothers James, Clayton, Thomas, Edward and George Nicholson and sisters Mrs. George Benson and Mrs. Frank Bradford. In 1945, living at 1102 Twenty-Fifth Street in Des Moines, she brought her dying sister into her home until the sister's end came five months later. Emma died in 1950, with burial beside her first husband in Union Townshp Cemetery. [Find-a-Grave] Son Forrest ( ? -1964) married Ina Merle Sinkey (1893-1976) in 1918 -- resided in Eagle Butte, SD -- and had four children -- Leo McBride, Helen Joyce Pacheco, Mildred Eppf and Lois Moffatt.

Son William "Will" Wilkins (1869- ? ) was born in about 1869 in Iowa. As an adult, he resided in West Liberty. At the age of 25, on Feb. 8, 1894, Will was joined in marriage with 26-year-old Ella R. (1868-1938) of Springdale, IA. They were the parents of Leland Wilkins. The Wilkinses resided on a farm near Davenport. They are known to have traveled to attend the Iowa State Fair in August 1901, with the news reported in the gossip columns of the Davenport Daily Times. Will and Ella relocated to West Liberty, Muscatine County in 1919, and were members of the First Methodist Episcopal Church. In June 1929, Ella fell down a flight of stairs at home, having "missed the door" while getting up to get a comforter, said the Daily Times, and fractured her shoulder and arm. The federal census for 1930 shows Will, Ella and Will's aged mother residing together in Wapsinonoc Township. Then in January 1932, suffering from diabetes, she received treatment in a hospital in Iowa City. Tragically, on July 25, 1938, she suffered a stroke and collapsed at home. Her 98-year-old mother-in-law found her on the floor and called for help. Ella was rushed to a local hospital where she died later that day. An obituary in the Davenport Daily Times noted that her survivors included sisters Anna Hollingsworth and Martha Armstrong, brother Charles Armstrong, and half-brothers D.L. Armstrong, Will Armstrong, Russell Armstrong and Allison Armstrong. Rev. Walter A. Smith preached the funeral sermon in the family church, followed by interment in Oak Ridge Cemetery. At the funeral, singers Mrs. R.P. Evans and Mrs. Lyle Holmes sung One Sweetly Solemn Thought and Good Night and Good Morning, accompanied by organist Mrs. Smith. Pallbearers included W.W. Anderson, George Schafer, James Nay, C.E. Dice, Charles McCann and Willard Maxson. The Muscatine Journal and News-Tribune noted those who had traveled a distance to attend the funeral -- Mr. and Mrs. Charles Hollingsworth from Albert Lea, MN; Emma Nicholson from Des Moines; the Dorsey Armstrongs from Bellview, WI; the LeRoy Hollingsworths from DeWitt, IA; the Lewis Ellysons, Clyde Hamptons, Lura Eden, Mrs. Sam Iren and P.J. Thomas from West Branch, in addition to family and friends from West Branch and Springdale.

Son Frank Wilkins ( ? -1914) was born in (?). He was married and had one known child. The Wilkinses owned 120 acres north of West Liberty which were "especially well improved," reported the Des Moines Register. In September 1914, suffering from rheumatism and heart problems, he died at home. A death notice was printed in the Register.


~ Son John Wilkins ~

Son John Wilkins (1840-1916) was born on July 7, 1839. John was a veteran of the Civil War. His first wife, Sarah Sabina (Weimer) Wilkins, who had died in 1883, was "a daughter of the late David Weimer of Rockwood," said the Somerset County Leader. He thus brought four adult children to his marriage with Rachel -- Elva Walter of Rockwood, Etta Lane of Pittsburgh, Walter Wilkins of Washington State and Anna Weisel of Scottdale. In 1890, at his mother's death, he was gifted a good bed, as he had not received one at the time he left home. His second wife was twice-widowed Rachel (Phillippi) Gerhard Younkin of Casselman, Somerset County. See Rachel's biography for more, including John's tragic end.

~ Daughter Louisa (Wilkins) Mowry ~

Daughter Louisa "Louiza" Wilkins (1841-1921) was born on or about July 23, 1841 in Somerset County. She learned the skill of a seamstress as a girl.

At the age of about 20, on Nov. 3, 1861, she was joined in holy wedlock with John "Emanuel" Mowry (1838-1917). 

They resided in Pennsylvania where their five eldest children were born. Sometime between 1870 and 1873, they relocated to a farm near Jasper, Clear Creek Township, Jasper County, IA, and John operated a mercantile business in nearby Baxter, Jasper County.

Their 10 children were Florence Kline, Alice Cross, Jesse Mowry, Julia Dodd, William Mowry, Ella Buchanan, Milton Mowry, Anna Webb, Ervin Mowry and Ross Rutledge Mowry.

Sadly, their son Ervin died young. Louise and John are named in a profile of their son Ross in James Baird Weaver's 1912 book Past and Present of Jasper County, Iowa, Vol. 1, which said "The Mowry family is of German stock, and the first specific record we have of them in America is when they settled in Pennsylvania in the early days." In 1921, when her sister Rosanna Lane died in West Liberty, Muscatine County, IA, Louisa was named in the Iowa City Press-Citizen as a surviving sister.

Louisa died on Oct. 5, 1921. She is reputed to be interred in Baxter, Jasper County, IA.

In August 1981, Louisa's genealogy was researched by Katherine C. Harper of Seal Beach, CA, registrar of the El Camino Real Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution. At that time, she wrote a letter to the Historical & Genealogical Society of Somerset County (PA).

Daughter Florence Mowry (1862- ? ) was born in about 1862 in Pennsylvania. She married Henry Kline and lived in Baxter, Jasper County, IA

Daughter Alice Mowry (1864- ? ) was born in about 1864 in Pennsylvania. She was wedded to David Cross and made their home near Colfax, IA.

Son Jesse Mowry (1866- ? ) was born in about 1866 in Pennsylvania. In 1912, he resided in Nevada, MO.

Daughter Julia Mowry (1868- ? ) was born in about 1868 in Pennsylvania. She was joined in marriage with Fred Dodd and made their residence in Baxter, Jasper County.

Son William Mowry (1870- ? ) was born in about 1870 in Pennsylvania. He lived in Marshalltown, IA in 1912.

Daughter Ella Mowry (1873- ? ) was born in about 1873 in Jasper, IA. She was united in holy wedlock with J.M. Buchanan. In 1912, their home was near Colfax, IA.

Son Milton Mowry (1874- ? ) was born in about 1874 in Jasper, IA. In April 1896, living in Baxter, IA, he made a homestead application. Later, in 1912, he made his home in Kansas City, MO.

Daughter Anna (or "Fannie") Mowry was born in about 1877 in Jasper, IA. She married Carl C. Webb ( ? -1935) and lived in Baxter. Tragically, while driving near Laurens, IA on Jan. 24, 1935, Carl was involved in a vehicular accident and died. Anna filed claims of manslaughter against two other men involved with the crash, as reported in the Humboldt (IA) Independent.


Sen. Ross R. Mowry

Son Ross Rutledge Mowry (1882-1957) was born in Baxter, Clear Creek Township, Jasper County, IA on March 5, 1882. . On Sept. 17, 1908, he married Mary Edith Mathews (1878- ? ), daughter of John L. Matthews of Newton. She was said to be "a young lady of education and many pleasing traits of character which have long rendered her a favorite with a wide circle of friends." The couple dwelled in Newton, Polk County, IA and produced two daughters, Esther Virginia Mowry and Gertrude Ellen Spaulding. After obtaining his law degree from the University of Iowa in 1903, Ross became a lawyer. He was a member of the law firm of Mowry and Cross in Newton from 1904 to 1910. Then, he became a prosecuting United States District Attorney for Southern Iowa from 1911 to 1915. He is profiled in James Baird Weaver's 1912 book Past and Present of Jasper County, Iowa, Vol. 1. In 1916, he served as assistant Attorney General of Iowa. He served for a time as Iowa consul to the Modern Woodmen of America. From 1939 to 1946, he was elected to two terms in the Senate of the Iowa General Assembly. At the age of 44, on April 12, 1926, he submitted an application for membership to the Sons of the American Revolution (SAR). "At the time of his death," said the Journal of the Senate of the Fifty-Eighth General Assembly, he "was considered to be probably the greatest historian living in Jasper County." Ross died on Sept. 28, 1957. Afterward, his colleagues Eugene M. Hill, Carroll Price and X.T. Prentis petitioned the Iowa General Assembly, which passed a unanimous resolution that the "state of Iowa has lost a valuable and honorable citizen and by this resolution tenders its sincere sympathy to the surviving members of the family" Their daughter Esther Virginia Mowry (1909- ? ) also became a lawyer and served as assistant attorney general of Iowa in 1916; as a U.S. District Attorney from 1924 to 1932; and as a member of the Iowa State Senate from 1939 to 1947. Circa 1957, she lived in New York City. She provided an oral history interview for the publication Historical Materials in the Herbert Hoover Presidential Library (1983) and today the material is housed at the Library in West Branch, Iowa. Her sister Gertrude (1913-2000) married William Spaulding ( ? - ? ) and resided in Wakefield, MA. She was a longtime member of the Alpha Xi Delta Alumnae Association of Greater Boston and a scholarship for study in government or environmental affairs was named in her and her sister's honor -- the "Spaulding Mowry Scholarship." She also was a "civil leader and advocate for open space and conservation," said the Images of America book Lake Quannapowitt. "She led a 20-year effort to establish the town Conservation Commission, finally succeeding in 1983." She was a founder of the Friends of Lake Quannapowitt which, upon her death in 2000, named her "Lady of the Lake."


~ Son William "Marshall" Wilkins ~

Son William "Marshall" Wilkins (1843-1907) was born on June 2, 1843, in Somerset County, PA and initially was given the German name "Wilhelm."

At the death of his father circa 1860, Marshall was named in a legal advertisement in the Somerset newspaper in regard to division of the father's real estate.

Marshall struck out on his own in young adulthood, making an overland journey to Nebraska by the early 1870s. He put down roots in Blair Precinct, Washington County, NE.

Marshall was twice wed. When he was 27 years of age, he first was was united in wedlock on the Fourth of July 1871 with 19-year-old Sarah Jane Justice ( ?  - ? ), daughter of Harvey and Dovey (Templeton) Justice and a resident of the DeSoto District. Washington County Probate Judge John S. Bowen performed the nuptials in his office.

How or why the first marriage ended is a mystery.

On or about Feb. 11, 1873, at the age of 29, Marshall was joined in marital union with 20-year-old Grant Precinct resident Sarah Jane Allen (1854- ? ). She was a native of Hamilton, Butler County, OH and the daughter of Irish immigrants George and Jane (Hammond) Allen. Their wedding ceremony was held in Blair, officiated by Judge John S. Bowen, with Alexander and Edna M. Kees serving as witnesses.

The couple produced a dozen offspring, born over the span of 24 years -- Norman Walter Wilkins, Cleon Robert Wilkins, Albert Allen Wilkins, Nellie Rose Biffar, Winifred Mae Biffar, twins Eddie F. Wilkins and Freddie E. Wilkins, Dora Emma Peck, Grover Cleveland Wilkins, Bessie Jane Johns, Chauncey S. Wilkins, and Nettie Louisa Peterson.

Sadly, they lost the twins young, with Eddie dying at a little more than two months of age on March 9, 1885 and Freddie at the age of about 11 on March 3, 1896.

When the federal census was made in 1880, the Wilkinses resided on a farm in Blair, with their eldest three children in the household. Sylvester Pettit, a 20-year-old farmhand, also lived under their roof that year.

Then in 1890, after his mother died, he was bequeathed the sum of one dollar from her estate.

Marshall reputedly died in Blair on Dec. 12, 1907. His remains were interred in Blair City Cemetery.

Sarah Jane outlived her spouse by nearly a quarter of a century. She passed into eternity in Blair on Jan. 13, 1932.

Most of her adult children remained in Blair during their lifetimes.

Son Norman Walter Wilkins (1873-1930) was born on Nov. 11, 1873 in Washington County. He married Sophia Rathman ( ? - ? ). Having grown on raising stock on his parents' farm, he won "grand and reserve championship honors with his Hampshire boars at the recent Ak-Sar-Ben live stock exposition," reported the Fremont (NE) Tribune. One of the prizes was a 1,000-mile railway trip on the Chicago & North Western Railway Company to attend a meeting of 100 Hereford breeders at Chadron. He died in Blair two days before Christmas 1930.

Son Cleon Robert Wilkins (1876-1956) was born on April 23, 1876 in Washington County. He wedded Bessie Reeh ( ? - ? ). He passed away in Blair on Nov. 10, 1956.

Son Albert Allen Wilkins (1878-1936) was born in 1878. At the age of 24, on April 23, 1903, he married 20-year-old Mary V. Vorhies ( ? - ? ), daughter of Lem and Lillie (Burgess) Vorhies of Washington County. The nuptials were held at the home of the bride, officiated by Rev. Harmon E. Mottery of the Christian Church. Albert was gathered in by the Angel of Death in Blair on Dec. 3, 1936.

Daughter Nellie Rose Wilkins (1880-1943) was born on Oct. 4, 1880 in Washington County. She married Francis T. Biffar ( ? - ? ). She succumbed to death in Blair on Aug. 31, 1943.

Daughter Winifred Mae Wilkins (1883- ? ) was born on Jan. 19, 1883 in Washingtn County. She wedded John Biffar ( ? - ? ).

Daughter Dora Emma Wilkins (1887-1965) was born on April 19, 1887 in Washington County. She was united in holy matrimony with Fred Peck ( ? - ? ). She passed into eternity in Blair on April 16, 1965.

Son Grover Cleveland Wilkins (1889-1976) was born on Aug. 21, 1889 in Blair, Washington County. On June 22, 1915, when he was 25 years of age, he was joined in wedlock with Hulda "Fern" Schafer (Dec. 24, 1894-1972), daughter of Frank Ludwig and Cecil Ellen (Miller) Schafer of Kennard, NE. The wedding occurred in Omaha, Douglas County, NE. The couple were farmers and stock raisers and resided in Washington County during the entirety of their married lives. They were the parents of these children -- Grover William Wilkins, Robert Frank Wilkins, Eva LaFern Pearson, James Roland "Jamie" Wilkins, Ruth Elaine Kruger, Joe Cecil Wilkins and Dr. Gene Curtis Wilkins. Grief blanketed the family at the death of their four-year-old son Jamie in Blair on Nov. 30, 1924. Circa 1962-1963, the family dwelled in Arlington, NE. Grover received second prize for showing a hampshire sow (six to nine months of age) at the 1963 Washington County Fair. At the age of 78, while a patient at Memorial Hospital of Dodge County, Fern succumbed to death on Oct. 1, 1972. Funeral services were held at the United Community Church, with funeral services preached by Rev. Edwin Mehlhaff. An obituary in the Fremont (NE) Tribune said she was survived by 20 grandchildren and three great-grandchildren. Grover outlived her by four years and died in Fremont on Dec. 29, 1976. Burial was in Blair City Cemetery following a funeral held at the Arlington Community Church, preached by Rev. Bryce Hecht.

  • Grandson Grover "William" Wilkins (1916-1997) was born on Jan. 27, 1916 near Blair, Washington County. Two days before Christmas 1940, in Plattsmouth, Cass County, NE, he married Murial Alice Rosenbaum (Aug. 30, 1920-2019), daughter of Erwal George and Mary Kathrine (Ludwig) Rosenbaum of Blair. The couple resided over the years in Pierce, Dodge and Knox Counties, NE. The five children born to this union were Marita Fern Burmeister, Dr. Gerald William Wilkins, Eva Joanne "Jo" Wahbeh Burnham, Dr. Michael Dale Wilkins and Dr. Lee Richard Wilkins. All three of their sons became physicians. Their home was in Lincoln, NE in 1972. Sadly, William died on April 14, 1997 in Lincoln and rests for all time in Lincoln Memorial Cemetery. Muriel celebrated her 99th birthday in 2019 but was not destined to reach the century mark. She died on Nov. 10, 2019. An obituary said that her survivors included 16 grandchildren and a dozen great-grandchildren. The family asked that any memorial donations be made to the Barth Syndrome Foundation. Handwritten notes about this family, on Nebraska State Historical Society Information Sheet stationery, are on file today in the Historical and Genealogical Society of Somerset County, PA.

Great-granddaughter Marita Fern Wilkins (1941- ? ) was born in 1941 in Plainview, Pierce County, NE. On Dec. 26, 1963, she married Charles J. "Chuck" Burmeister ( ? - ? ) in nuptials held in Lincoln, Lancaster County, NE. Over the years, they have been supporters of the Lincoln Symphony Orchestra and trustees of the University of Nebraska Foundation. In 2019, they dwelled in Lincoln.

Great-grandson Dr. Gerald William Wilkins (1942- ? ) was born in 1942 in Fremont, Dodge County, NE. He does not appear to have married. In 1968, he received a doctorate in dentistry from Johns Hopkins University. He has spent his career in general dentistry and was in Lincoln in 2019.

Great-granddaughter Eva Joanne "Jo" Wilkins (1947- ? ) was born in 1947 in Plainview, Pierce County, NE. Evidence hints that she was married twice. She was joined in marriage with her first spouse, George Nicholai Wahbeh ( ? - ? ), on June 1, 1971 in DelMar, CA. By 2019, she had married her second husband, Arnold Burnham ( ? - ? ). They lived in Alliance, NE circa 2019.

Great-grandson Dr. Michael Dale Wilkins (1951- ? ) was born in 1951 in Plainview, Pierce County, NE. He received his medical degree in 1975 from the University of Nebraska. On Sept. 3, 1977, he wedded Susan "Sue" Varner ( ? - ? ) with the ceremony held in Lincoln, Lancaster County, NE. They were in Lincoln in 2019.

Great-grandson Dr. Lee Richard Wilkins (1953- ? ) was born in 1953 in Creighton, Knox County, NE. At the age of about 22, on May 28, 1977, he was united in wedlock with Kristen "Kristy" Hallberg ( ? - ? ). Their wedding was conducted in Norfolk, Madison County, NE. The Wilkinses resided in 2019 in Ames, IA, where he has practiced family medicine and has been affiliated with the Thielen Student Health Center at Iowa State University.

  • Grandson Robert Frank Wilkins (1917-2011) was born on April 2, 1917 in Washington County and grew up in rural Kennard, NE. For one year, he attended the University of Nebraska. Then, as World War II broke out, he joined the U.S. Army Air Force on Jan. 13, 1942 and served until Oct. 8, 1945. During the war, he was deployed at Normandy, northern France and England. At the age of 27, on Valentine's Day 1945, he was joined in wedlock with Marian Menking (Feb. 6, 1921-1995), daughter of Chester Arthur and Lulu H. (Spangler) Menking. Their nuptials were held in Arlington, Washington County. Marian attended Midland Lutheran College in Fremont before earning a bachelor of science degree frm Dana College in Blair. Once the war was over, they relocated in 1965 to rural Arlington, where they raised livestock on their farm. The couple produced three offspring -- Dennis Wilkins, Thomas Wilkins and Beverly Cent. Robert was active in the community as a member of the State Fair Board for more than three decades, the March School Board and on the Washington County Board of Supervisors. He also was a leader with the 4-H organization and belonged to the local Veterans of Foreign Wars post, Masons lodge and the Arlington Community Church. Marian was past chair of the Washington County Extention Home Club Council, president of Colby Corner Family and Community Education Club and the Washington County Teachers Association, a charter member and hall of fame inductee of the Arlington Education Association and the Order of Eastern Star. In 1977, she was worthy matron of the OES in Arlington, secretary from 1982 to 1994 and grand representative of Rhode Island in Nebraska for OES. Sadly, Marian passed away on Aug. 26, 1995. Her obituary was printed in the Arlington Review-Herald. Robert died in Fremont, Dodge County, NE at the age of 94 on April 19, 2011. He rests in Arlington Cemetery, with Rev. John Hogue having preached the funeral sermon. An obituary said that he was survived by eight grandchildren and 11 great-grandchildren.
  • Granddaughter Eva LaFern Wilkins (1919-2010) was born on April 7, 1919 in Washington County and grew up in Kennard. After earning her degree from Dana College in Blair, she went on to teach for a baker's dozen years in schools in Arlington, Elkhorn, Desoto and Masters Country. On Aug. 17, 1952, when she was 33 years of age, she was united in marital union with Norman A. Pearson (Aug. 5, 1919-1999), with the wedding conducted in Arlington, Washington County. He was the son of Carl Oscar and Milsa M. (Ekdahl) Pearson. The couple went on to establish lives as farmers southwest of Wahoo. The two children they bore were Penny Henriksen and Kent Pearson. Grief swept over the family when Norman died at the age of 80 on Nov. 25, 1999. Eva was gathered in by the Grim Reaper on Feb. 23, 2010. Burial was in Wahoo's Sunrise Cemetery.
  • Granddaughter Ruth Elaine Wilkins (1925- ? ) was born on March 30, 1925 in Washington County. When she was age 18, on the next-to-last day of 1943, she was bound in matrimony with Gene Marvin Kruger (April 6, 1924-2019), a native of Fontanelle, NE and the son of William Henry and Lucy Ella (Hagle) Kruger. Their ceremony was held in Blair, Washington County. They were the parents of five sons -- James Kruger, John Kruger, Jerry Kruger, Joseph Kruger and David Kruger. Gene served in the U.S. Marine Corps during World War II and attained the rank of second lieutenant. After the war, he completed his bachelor of science degree in 1946 from Midland College. The couple's initial residence was in Fremont and Arlington and then in 1949 they relocated for good to Elkhorn, Douglas County, NE. While in Elkhorn, Gene was a head coach of local sports teams. Then after leaving public education in 1968, they founded Big Red Scorebooks, a business which produced scoring books for all types of athletic events. The firm later was transferred to their son Jerry. In his spare time, Gene enjoyed fishing in Minnesota, Montana and Nebraska. He also helped found Alcoholics Anonymous in Elkhorn in 1981. While retired, he was an honorary assistant coach from 2006 to 2018 for the girls basketball team for Elkhorn High School. At age 88, on Jan. 8, 2014, Ruth entered the realm of eternity. Interment of the remains was in Prospect Hill Cemetery in Elkhorn. Her survivors included a dozen grandchildren and one great-granddaughter. Gene outlived his bride by five years. At the ripe age of 95, he succumbed to death on Oct. 20, 2019.
  • Grandson Joe Cecil Wilkins (1929-2003) was born on Nov. 15, 1929 in Washington County. On Feb. 3, 1947, he eloped to wed Marilyn Marie "Toby" Hall (Feb. 3, 1929-2019) in nuptials held on Toby's 18th birthday in Blair, Washington County. The couple's three known daughters were Terry Gates, Mary Jo Faaborg and Jane Louise Barta. Joe was employed from 1957 to 1990 by George A. Hormel & Co. (Hormel Foods) in Fremont, Dodge County, NE and Austin, MN. Circa 1962, they lived in or near Fremont. In 1975, he was transferred to Hormel's corporate headquarters in Austin, MN and tapped to manage distribution operations. In 1990, after retirement, the couple established a dwellign in Ennis, MTToby was known for her creativity, whether arts and crafts, baking and painting Christmas ornaments and other gifts for family and friends. At one time she operated a business in Fremont known as the Yarn Shop. They were members of the Fremont Congregational Church, and she was active with the Mrs. Jaycees and PEO. She also was employed in central supply by Fremont Hospital and went on to obtain her licensed practical nurse certification and put that to good use at long-term care centers and for private individuals. They loved to attend University of Nebraska football games. Joe spent his final years in Ennis. He died on Aug. 2, 2003 at the age of 73. Funeral services were heldin the Trinity Lutheran Church, and an obituary was printed in the Fremont Tribune. Burial was in Madison Valley Cemetery. Toby remained in Ennis for the balance of her years. She died at the age of 90 on May 9, 2019..
  • Grandson Dr. Gene Curtis Wilkins (1931- ? ) was born on Aug. 21, 1931 in Washington County. Circa 1961, with the rank of lieutenant, he served in the U.S. Armed Forces as a reservist, a member of the Patrol Squadron 883 stationed in Kansas at the Naval Air Station Olathe. The next year, in 1962, he received his doctorate of medicine at the University of Nebraska College of Medicine in Omaha and served in a one-year internship at Weld County General Hospital in Greeley, CO. His home in October 1972 was in Ennis, MT. When he was age 41, on Dec. 27, 1972, he was joined in marriage with Eileen Paasch ( ? - ? ). Their wedding occurred in Fremont, Dodge County, NE. The couple established a home in Ennis and were there in 1976-2011.

Daughter Bessie Jane Wilkins (1892-1977) was born on Feb. 8, 1892 in Washington County. At the age of 21, on Nov. 14, 1923, she wedded Ralph Johns ( ? - ? ). Their wedding ceremony was held in Logan, IA. Death overtook her in Port Orchard, WA on Nov. 1, 1977.

Son Chauncey S. Wilkins (1894-1951) was born on July 12, 1894 in Washington County. He was brought into marital union with Hannah Draeger ( ? - ? ). He died in Blair on May 13, 1951.

Daughter Nettie Louisa Wilkins (1897-1975) was born on Jan. 13, 1897 in Washington County. She married Herman Peterson ( ? - ? ). She passed into eternity in Blair just three days after her 78th birthday on Jan. 16, 1975.



~ Daughter Rosanna (Wilkins) Lane ~

Daughter Rosanna Wilkins (1845 -1921) was born on Feb. 11, 1845.

At the age of 17, in 1862, she migrated west to Iowa, and settled near West Liberty, Muscatine County, where she stayed for the remainder of her long life.

She was joined in matrimony with William S. Lane ( ? -1896). He had been married before and brought three children to the second union -- H.C. Lane, F.H. Lane and Edwin Lane.

The couple produced three more daughters -- Blanche Boldt, Maude Lane and Nettie Knapp.


Railroad bridge spanning the Wapsie River near West Liberty, Iowa


Sadly, William died in 1896.

Rosanna survived her husband by nearly a quarter of a century.

She passed away at West Liberty in January 1921 at the age of 75. Burial was in Oak Ridge Cemetery, and an obituary published in the Iowa City Press-Citizen, which noted that "She would have been 76 next month on the eleventh." Among those who traveled to attend Rosanna's funeral were her stepson H.G. Lane and family, Wilfred Bozarth of Cedar Falls, the Archive Hunter family of Creston, IA, and her brother Alfred Wilkins.

Stepson H.C. Lane lived in Iowa City in 1921. He was married and had a daughter, Ruth Lane.

Stepson F.H. Lane resided in 1921 in Pomona, CA.

Stepson Edwin Lane was in West Liberty in 1921.

Daughter Blanche Lane wedded (?) Boldt ( ? - ? ). In 1921, she made her home in West Liberty.

Daughter Maude Lane was unmarried circa 1921 and lived in West Liberty.

Daughter Nettie Lane married (?) Knapp and, circa 1921, dwelled in Santa Barbara, CA.


~ Son Alfred Norlan "Alf" Wilkins ~

Son Alfred Norlan "Alf" Wilkins (1847-1922) was born in about 1847.

As with his sisters Louisa and Rosanna Lane, he migrated to Iowa, and made his home in Guthrie Center, Guthrie County.

Circa 1890, at the death of his mother, Alfred was bequeathed a "common good bed" or its equivalent in cash.

Alfred is believed to have married Martha (?) and to have had at least one daughter, Maude R. Ratchel. Sadly, daughter Maude died at the age of 25, in Guthrie Center, on Jan. 15, 1907.

In 1921, he was named in the Iowa City Press-Citizen obituary of his sister Rosanna Lane, and is known to have traveled to West Liberty to attend her funeral.

He died in Valley, near Guthrie Center, on May 14, 1922, at the age of 75.

Daughter Maude M. Wilkins (1882-1907) was born in about 1882. She married (?) Ratchel. On Jan. 15, 1907, in Guthrie Center, she died at the age of 25.


~ Daughter Lavina (Wilkins) Enlow ~

Daughter Lavina Wilkins (1849-1912) was born on Jan. 25, 1849. Her name also has been misspelled as "Levida" - "Louvenia" - and "Larenia."

At the age of 14, in 1863, she was named in a legal advertisement in the Somerset newspaper in regard to division of her late father's real estate.

Evidence suggests that in 1870, at the age of 21, she married David T. Enlow (Jan. 1848- ? ).

The couple established a home on a farm in East Oakland, Garrett County, MD.

Their children, all born in Maryland, were Mabel Nine, Julia Ann Speicher, Jasper Gilbert Enlow, Blanche Carter, Effie Eleanor Bowman, Nellie Lashorn and Madge Enlow. One other died young.

Circa 1890, when her mother died, Laurenia received one dollar cash as inheritance from the estate.

The federal census enumeration for 1900 shows the Enlows on their East Oakland farm. They were early members of the Sunday School at St. Paul's Methodist Episcopal Church in Oakland.

Larenia died at the age of 63 on Feb. 20, 1912. A brief notice of her death, published in the Baltimore Sun, said that she had been married to her husband for 42 years.

Daughter Mabel Enlow (1870-1939) was born on Dec. 14, 1870 in Garrett County. She married William "Thomas" Nine (1873- ? ). The three sons born to this couple were Ray T. Nine, Harland Wesley Nine and Arlie Nine. They lived in Deer Park, MD and were members of the local Methodist Church. Thomas earned a living as a carpenter in local coal mines. When the United States Census was taken in 1920, the couple lived in Kitzmillerville, Garrett County. Sadly, the 68-year-old Mabel died "rather suddenly" at their home on May 5, 1939. Rev. J.F. Hockenberry and Rev. J.E. Johnston co-conducted the funeral service, with interment in Deer Park Cemetery. Her obituary was printed in the Cumberland News.

  • Grandson Ray T. Nine (1895- ? ) was born on Sept. 12, 1895 in Deer Park. He was of medium height and build, with grey eyes and brown hair. At the age of 21, in 1917, he labored as a coal miner for Garrett County Coal in Dodson, MD, and in 1920 was a wheelman in a mine. During the tail end years of the Great Depression, he lived in Point Marion, Greene County, PA in 1939.
  • Grandson Harland Wesley Nine (1899- ? ) was born on Aug. 19, 1899. As was his brother Ray, Harland was of medium height and build, with brown hair and grey eyes. When he was 19 years of age, in 1917, he lived in Dotson, MD and worked as a miner for Garrett County Coal Company. The federal census of 1920 shows him employed as a motorman in a local coal mine. He relocated to Akron, OH by 1939.
  • Grandson Arlie Nine (1910- ? ) was born in about 1910. He resided in Deer Park, MD

Daughter Julia Ann Enlow (1873-1965) was born on Dec. 16, 1873 near Oakland, Garrett County. She was joined in wedlock with John Speicher (Oct. 6, 1870-1949), a native of rural Oakland, Garrett County and the son of Joseph and Catherine (Harshbarger) Speicher. His surname also has been spelled "Spiker." The family dwelled in Terra Alta, Preston County, WV, with John earning a living as a clerk in the post office at Hopemont. Julia is known to have traveled to Cumberland in March 1940 to attend the funeral of her brother Jasper. Sadly, suffering from hardening of the arteries and acute coronary insufficiency, he was stricken with an aneurysm in the abdomen and died suddenly at the age of 78 on Aug. 8, 1949. Burial was in Terra Alta. Julia Ann outlived her husband by 16 years. At the age of 91, in Randolph County, WV, she succumbed to death on Feb. 19, 1965.

Son Jasper Gilbert Enlow (1876- ? ) was born in Jan. 1876 in Maryland. As a bachelor at the age of 24, he provided labor on his parents' farm in Garrett County. He married Margaret Elizabeth (Jan. 10, 1881-1966), a native of Selbysport, MD. They were the parents of Erma Lee Moore and Llewellyn Grove. The couple resided in Cumberland, Allegany County, MD, where for three decades Jasper was employed by the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad. They were members of the Grace Methodist Episcopal Church, where Margaret was elected president of the church's Ladies Bible Class in 1938. She also was active with the GIA Bretz Division 117 Auxiliary and a life member of the American Red Cross. Jasper belonged to the Brotherhood of Engineers and Firemen and the Knights of Pythias in Oakland. Their address in 1940 was 604 Montgomery Avenue. Jasper contracted a serious illness in about 1935 and suffered for five years. He succumbed to death at the age of 63 on March 12, 1940. Margaret lived for another 26 years as a widow and remained in their home. She died at home on Jan. 10, 1966. Rev. Robert E. Moales preached the funeral sermon, with interment in Greenmount Cemetery.

  • Granddaughter Erma Lee Enlow married Glenn A. Moore. They dwelled in Cumberland.
  • Granddaughter Llewellyn Enlow wedded Matthew W. Grove. The couple established a home in Cumberland. They produced a son, William Grove.

Daughter Blanche Enlow (1878-1937) was born on June 15, 1878 near Oakland, Garrett County. She married Harry A. Carter ( ? - ? ). They bore a son, Harry E. Carter. In about 1907, the couple relocated to the District of Columbia, remaining for the balance of three decades of Blanche's life. They dwelled at 1313 Cross Street NW and were members of the Foundry Methodist Episcopal Church. Blanche died at the age of 59 as a patient in Sibley Hospital on July 23, 1937. Funeral services were led in the family church by Rev. Archibald Moore. The remains were interred in Oakland Cemetery.

  • Grandson Harry E. Carter

Daughter Effie Eleanor Enlow (1880-1954) was born on June 28, 1880 in Oakland, Garrett County. She was united in the bonds of wedlock with Samuel Franklin Bowman ( ? - ? ). They lived in Crellin, MD, where Samuel worked as a carpenter. Five offspring were produced by this marriage -- David F. Bowman, Robert O. Bowman, Philip O. Bowman, Charles H. Bowman and Glendine E. Wolfe. The family belonged to the Methodist church in Crellin. The pair died within the same year. Samuel went first, on April 13, 1954. At the age of 74, Effie died in Garrett Memorial Hospital in Oakland on Nov. 9, 1954. An obituary was printed in the Cumberland News, which stated that her survivors numbered 20 grandchildren and seven great-grandchildren. Burial took place in Oakland Cemetery, with Rev. Donald Jackson and Rev. Ervin Fike co-officiating.

  • Grandson David F. Bowman lived in Crellin, MD in 1954.
  • Grandson Robert O. Bowman relocated to Akron, OH.
  • Grandson Philip O. Bowman made ahome in 1954 in Cresaptown, MD.
  • Grandson Charles H. Bowman moved across the state line to Johnstown, Cambria County, PA.
  • Granddaughter Glendine E. Bowman married (?) Wolfe. They migrated to Erie, PA and were there in 1954.

Daughter Nellie Enlow (1882-1959) was born in July 1882 in Maryland. She was joined in matrimony with Clarence Lashorn ( ? - ? ). They were in Deer Park, MD for decades and bore one daughter, Mrs. William Copley. Nellie was a member of the Deer Park Methodist Church and the Women's Society of Christian Service. Sadly, at the age of 77, Nellie died in Garrett County Memorial Hospital on Sept. 20, 1959, after a stay of four weeks. Burial was in Deer Park Cemetery, following funeral services led by Rev. Joseph Gerstell at home and later at the family church. The Cumberland Evening Times printed an obituary.

  • Granddaughter (?) Lashorn married William Copley. In 1959, their home was in Riverdale, MD.

Daughter Madge Enlow (1885-1958) was born in May 1885 in Maryland. She wedded Thayne O. White ( ? -1958) of Oakland, Garrett County. The couple's only child was Mrs. Arthur DeWitt. They resided in Oakland for many years and were members of St. Paul's Methodist Church. Madge was active with the church's Women's Society of Christian Service and its Harned Bible Class. Sadly, the pair died less than a month apart. Thayne was carried away first by the Grim Reaper on Feb. 5, 1958. Madge followed in death on March 1, 1958, as a resident of the Weeks Nursing Home. Burial was in Oakland Cemetery, with Rev. W.S. Patterson preaching. An obituary appeared in the Cumberland Evening Times.

  • Granddaughter (?) White wedded Arthur DeWitt. In 1958, they dwelled in Baltimore, MD.


~ Daughter Julia Ann (Wilkins) DeLauter ~

Daughter Julia Ann Wilkins (1850-1906) was born on May 23, 1850 or Jan. 23, 1851 in Fort Hill, Addison Township, Somerset County.

She was wedded to Charles Lewis DeLauter (May 20, 1847-1912), son of Henry and Amelia (Bowman) DeLauter. They resided in Meyersdale, Somerset County and had one son, Leroy W. DeLauter.

A native of Funkstown, MD, Charles had come to Listonburg at the age of 14 to apprentice as a fuller and weaver at the Liston wool mill. He spent 28 years in that work, "as a boy and man,... becoming a thorough master of his trade," said the Meyersdale Republican. He relocated to Meyersdale in 1893 to establish his own weaving business. There, they built a three story house, with their living quarters in the upper two, and his loom and store on the ground floor. Later in life, Charles established an insurance and collection agency. Charles was a "zealous" member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, as a board member and men's Bible class participant. He joined the Odd Fellows and Royal Arcanum, a fraternal benefit society.

Stricken with organic heart disease and chronic kidney problems at the age of 55, Julia died on Feb. 28, 1906. Interment was in Union Cemetery in Meyersdale, and a one-paragraph notice was printed in the Republican.

Charles spent one or two years as a widower and then wed a second time, to Virginia (Eicher) Morrow of Harnedsville, Somerset County. In October 1912, Charles attended an oyster dinner at their church, followed by an Odd Fellows lodge meeting, but complained of not feeling well. When he returned home at midnight, he began to suffer further from "acute indigestion and congestion of the lungs." He died in their Clay Street home just a few days later on Oct. 21, 1912, after what the Republican called "a few days' severe illness." Rev. George A. Neeld offiicated at the funeral in the DeLauter home, with his Odd Fellows lodge members attending in "full regalia" and leading their own graveside services at Union Cemetery. A prominent red barre granite marker stands today at their grave.

Son Leroy W. DeLauter resided in Westernport, MD in 1912. In October 1912, his son was born, and he attended his father's funeral in Meyersdale.


~ Daughter Cornelia "Nellie" (Wilkins) Aldrich ~

Daughter Cornelia "Nellie" Wilkins (1853- ? ) was born on April 7, 1853 in Addison Township, Somerset County, PA.

As with some of her siblings, Nellie pulled up stakes in Pennsylvania and migrated to Nebraska by the early 1880s and perhaps earlier.

On Nov. 13, 1884, when she was 31 years of age, she was united in wedlock with 46-year-old Chauncey S. Aldrich (Dec. 31, 1837-1959), son of William Aldrich. She fibbed on her marriage license that her age was 26 and gave her parents' names as William and Eliza (perhaps a form of "Louisa" depending on the pronunciation). The wedding was conducted at Blair, Washington County, NE by the hand of Rev. James A. Lewis. Among the witnesses was Nellie's brother William Marshall Wilkins.

Prior to marriage, in 1880, the bachelor Chauncey had boarded with his married brother Lawrence in Jackson, Guthrie County, IA, with the siblings earning a living as bridge builders.

Cornelia and Chauncey resided for three decades in Guthrie Center, Guthrie County, IA.

They were the parents of Edna M. Williamson and Sperry William Aldrich.

Having sent $50 to her mother as a gift, it was returned after the mother's death circa 1890.

Chauncey was a member of the Orange Lodge and Exodus Lodge of the Masons. Said a newspaper, " He was sober, industrious and honorable in his dealings...."

A March 1899 article in the Audubon County (IA) Journal reported that Chauncey was "fixing up machinery to prospect for coal on his land over on the Middle Coon. Well, the coal is doubless there, and lots of it."

Chaunce suffered a horrific accident at the age of 63 in April 1911 which led to his death. While laboring with a circular saw one day, he fell and his right leg was severed by the tool, he "nearly dying from loss of blood before a physician could be summoned," said the Cedar Rapids Gazette. "Physicians say there is some hope of his recovery. He is now at a local hospital." But a recovery was not to be, and he died shortly after hospitalization on April 4, 1911. The Audubon Journal noted that "his loss will be greatly felt by the community in which he resided. Peace to his Ashes."

Cornelia died in or near Guthrie Center, Guthrie County, IA on Nov. 21, 1914. Her remains rest for all time in the Union Cemetery in Guthrie County. [Find-a-Grave]

Daughter Edna M. Aldrich (1890?-1954) was born in about 1890 in Guthrie Center, Guthrie County, IA. She married Henry L. Williamson ( ? - ? ). The couple established a home in Minneapolis at 890 26th Avenue SE. Their two known children were Clifford Williamson and Marcelette Stolp. Edna was a member of the Order of Eastern Star and the Daughters of the American Revolution. Edna died at the age of 64 on July 9, 1954. Her obituary appeared in the Minneapolis Star Tribune.

  • Grandson Clifford Williamson lived in Minneapolis in 1954.
  • Granddaughter Marcelette Williamson married (?) Stolp. Her home in 1954 was in Robbinsdale, Hennepin County, MN.

Son Sperry William Aldrich (1891-1959) was born on July 17, 1891 in Guthrie Center, Guthrie County, IA. In adulthood, he was short and stout, with light brown eyes and dark brown hair, with slightly defective hearing. He attended Iowa State University where he studied civil engineering and wrestled and graduated in 1913. From 1914 to 1918, he worked in Iowa and on a ranch he appears to have owned in Colorado. He also joined the National Rifle Association in about 1914. Then after the outbreak of World War I, he served in the U.S. Army. The roar of shelling during his military term left him deaf. After the war, he spent a short time working for the Interstate Commerce Commission and then joined the Illinois Division of Highways in December 1919. He spent his 35-year career there as a civil engineer, first for five years in the Effingham highway office and then the office in Carbondale, Jackson County, IL. Sperry's name was published in local Carbondale newspapers in connection with his play in tennis tournaments, and his address in 1950 was 231 West Main Street. He was a subscriber to Iowa State's weekly sports newsletter. In the fall of 1950, he and friend Henry Enenbach drove to Columbia, MO to watch a college football game between Iowa State and Missouri. He also was a member of the American Legion in town for four decades in addition to the Moose, Midland Hills Country Club, Crab Orchard and Carbondale Sportsman's Association. Professionally, he belonged to the Illinois Association of Highway Engineers. After an illness of 10 days' duration, he died in Carbondale's Doctors Hospital at age 68 on Aug. 5, 1959. George N. Albon Jr. was named executor of the estate. His remains were lowered into eternal repose in Union Cemetery in Guthrie Center, with Rev. H.G. Hurley officiating, and an obituary printed in the Carbondale Southern Illinoisan.


Copyright 2002, 2009, 2012, 2014-2017, 2020 Mark A. Miner