What's New

Photo of the Month

Minerd.com Blog


National Reunion


Cousin Voices

Honor Roll

In Lasting Memory

In the News

Our Mission and Values

Annual Review

Favorite Links

Contact Us

Mary Ann 'Polly'
(Younkin) Phillippi



Phillippis' graves, Paddytown

Mary Ann "Polly" (Younkin) Phillippi was born on July 2 (or June 15), 1817 near Kingwood, Somerset County, PA, the daughter of John J. and Mary "Polly" (Hartzell) Younkin.

She is known to have joined the local Methodist Episcopal congregation as a young woman.

She was united in the bonds of holy matrimony with Samuel G. Phillippi (1816-1902), a native of Somerset County and the son of Rev. Christian Phillip and Sarah (Tedrow) Phillippi.

Said the Meyersdale (PA) Commercial, Mary Ann was "a descendant of one of the pioneer families of Somerset county ... and always lived in the Turkeyfoot township." They resided on a farm south of Kingwood.

Of the brood of 11 children the couple produced together, nine were named and lived to adulthood -- Jacob Phillippi, Martha Jane Enos, Amanda Koontz, Mary A. Kreger, Aaron Phillippi, Harmon Phillippi, John "Wesley" Phillippi, Franklin Phillippi and Sarah Catherine Sechler.

Samuel is known to have held a business account at the John McMillan tannery in Listonville. His entries from the year 1857 to 1859 involve the purchase of a wide variety of items beyond typical leathers and skins. They are recorded in the tannery's business ledger which is preserved today. The entries read as follow:

...halfsoles + heels to Franklin, 25 cents, May 20, 1857 – a hat, $1.75, May 23, 1857 – 3 bushels wheat at $1.50, cost $4.50, 3 bushels corn and 3 buckwheat at 75, cost $4.50, and Williams fine shoes to Franklin, cost $1.50, July 11, 1857 – 20 dollar gold peece, cost $20.00, Aug. 26, 1857 – Franklin corse shoes, $2.00, Sept. 21, 1857 – cash to H. Tressler in change, cost $2.50, Oct. 3, 1857 – store bill, cost $2.94, and a shirt to Franklin, 37½ cents, Oct. 31, 1857 – 179 lbs. beaf at 3Ύ cents, cost $6.71, Dec. 1, 1857 – 6 bushels wheet, $6.00, Jan. 23, 1858 – 4½ bushels wheet, $4.52, June 5, 1858 – paying for Hat for Harmon, 50 cents, July 1858 – souling, heeling + paching boots, 62 cents, Aug. 1858 – a pair of shoes, $2.00, Sept. 4, 1858 – hymn book, 50 cents, Oct. 12, 1858 – 2 yards cloth at $3.00, cost $6.00, Nov. 6, 1858 – 137 lbs. at 3½ cents, $4.86, Nov. 29, 1858 – Harmon Corse Boots, $3.75, Dec. 10, 1858 – soles for Harmons Boots, 37 cents, Feb. 3, 1859.

When the federal census was enumerated in 1860, the Phillippis made their home on a farm near Paddytown in Upper Turkeyfoot Township, south of Kingwood. Mary Ann was known for her sewing and was considered a spinster, while their daughter Martha learned the craft and was known as a seamstress.

Red circle marks the location of the Phillippi farm at Paddytown, west of the bend in Chicken Bone Road. 1876 Atlas of Somerset County. Below: Samuel's "+" signature on an affidavit on behalf of his friend Green B. King of Kingwood. Courtesy National Archives.


When the federal census was enumerated in 1860, the Phillippis made their home on a farm near Paddytown in Upper Turkeyfoot Township, south of Kingwood. Mary Ann was known for her sewing and was considered a spinster, while their daughter Martha learned the craft and was known as a seamstress.

The family were longtime members of the local Methodist Episcopal Church in Paddytown, a congregation pastored by Mary Ann's brother Rev. Rev. Herman Younkin. They were considered a "consistent Christian couple." Unable to read or write, Samuel signed his name with a "+" sign as evidence by an 1880s affidavit he provided for his friend Green B. King of Kingwood, attesting to the value of the friend's real estate.

Mary Ann's obituary
During the Civil War, sons Jacob and Harmon are known to have joined the army as did son in law John Enos.

Then in 1870, living in Upper Turkeyfoot but with their post office listed as Somerfield, they remained in the agricultural business, with Samuel listed in the census as a farmer and his sons Aaron and Wesley as farm laborers. 

During the decade of the 1870s, all of their children left home except for son Aaron. The location of their farm -- to the west of Chicken Bone Road in Paddytown -- is clearly marked in a map of Upper Turkeyfoot Township published in the 1876 Atlas of Somerset County.

The census of 1880 shows Aaron unmarried, and age 30, living on his parents' farm. Among their near neighbors that year were their kinsmen Levi and Sarah C. Younkin, Jacob and Lucy (Weimer) Younkin, Simon and Salome (Younkin) Liston, Frederick F. and Sarah "Sally" (Faidley) Younkin, and Ephraim and Rosetta (Harbaugh) Minerd.

Sadness descended upon the family in 1892 when learning of the death of their son Wesley in Nebraska. His remains were laid to rest there.

Samuel died at age 85 on March 29, 1902. 

Mary Ann lived for another two years. She passed away at the age of 86, in the residence of her daughter Martha Jane Enos, on April 16, 1904. Funeral services were held in the family church, led by Rev. S.W. Bryan of the Ursina circuit of the Methodist Episcopal denomination. Six of her grandsons served as pallbearers -- James Kregar, Frank Kregar, Charles Koontz, Samuel Koontz, John Enos and Jud Enos. Her remains were laid to rest beside her husband's in the Younkin Cemetery in Paddytown.

In an obituary, the Meyersdale Commercial published a short poem reading "Leaves have their time to fall, And flowers to wither at the north winds breath, And start to set -- but all, Thou has all seasons for thy own, oh'death!"The obituary went on to say that she "had been in delicate health from the infirmities of age all winter; about two weeks ago she commenced to fail and received all the kindness and care that tender hearts and loving hands could bestow, until the final end came, when she passed away as she had lived, gently and peacefully, from the world into which she had spent a most long and useful life, mourned and respected by all." The obituary added that seven of her children were living at the time and in all she left behind more than 120 descendants.


Younkin Cemetery in Paddytown, Somerset County


~ Son Herman Phillippi

Son Herman Phillippi (1837-1920) was born on May 27, 1837 (or 1838) in Upper Turkeyfoot Township, Somerset County, PA. His name also has been spelled "Harmon."

He married Catherine Ann Leichliter (1836-1918). Their wedding took place on March 15, 1860, when Herman was age 23 and Catherine 24. No written record of the marriage was made.

They raised a foster son, Norman L. Davis.

As an adult, Herman stood 5 feet, 5 inches tall, with a dark complexion, brown eyes and black hair. He earned a living as a laborer.

On Oct. 24, 1862, at the age of 24, Herman was drafted into the Army during the Civil War as a member of the 171st Pennsylvania Infantry, Company K. Other of his Younkin cousins by blood or marriage serving in the same regiment were Balaam Younkin, Henry A. Miner and Charles Rose. During his time in the service, he attained the rank of corporal, but is not believed to have seen any action. After serving the required nine months, he was discharged at Harrisburg, PA on or about Aug. 6 or 11, 1863.


Harrisburg, PA during the Civil War, as Herman may have seen it.


Herman returned to Kingwood, where he and Catherine were longtime farmers. 

As he aged, Herman began to be plagued by declining health, and applied for a federal pension as compensation for his wartime ailments. He claimed an inability to earn a living due to rheumatism, piles (hemorrhoids), kidney disease and loss of hearing in both ears. On Sept. 24, 1890, his petition was granted. [App. #922.935; Cert. #717.874] Over time, he applied for increases, with family and friends testifying on his behalf, among them Elmer Faidley, Milton Griffith, Frank Gerhard, Peter A. Kreger, Susan Kreger and J.C. Cunningham. In 1891, Alexander Blubaugh wrote that "I am well acquainted with Harmon Phillippi and have known him for 25 years or more and know him to be an honest, uprigh [sic] and morral [sic] man and of temperate habits and is considered such in the community in which he lives..."

By the time of his death in 1920, Herman earned $32 per month in payments.

Catherine died in 1918, of causes and at a location not yet known.

In about June 1919, Herman sold their farm and moved into his foster son's home Connellsville in nearby Fayette County. During the winter of 1920, suffering from pneumonia, he tripped and fell down a flight of stairs and was badly hurt. 

Unable to rally, he died on Feb. 21, 1920, at the age of 81.  Herman's remains were sent to Humbert on the Baltimore and Ohio train No. 42, where they were transported for burial to the Old Bethel Church of God Cemetery in Hexebarger near Kingwood. [Find-a-Grave] Foster son Norman L. Davis of Connellsville was the informant for his death certificate, with the surname spelled "Phillippie" on the document. The news made headlines in the Connellsville Daily Courier, reading "Fall Hastens Death - Plunge Down Flight of Stairs Comes After Pneumonia."


Kingwood Lutheran Cemetery

~ Son Jacob Phillippi

Son Jacob Phillippi (1842-1914) was born on Nov. 25, 1842 in Somerset County, PA. As an adult, he stood five feet, eight inches high, with a dark complexion, grey eyes and brown hair.

When the Civil War broke out, he traveled to Johnstown, Cambria County, PA where he joined the army on Aug. 12, 1862 and was assigned to the 142nd Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry, Company C. Several of his Younkin cousins were members of this same regiment, and joined at or about the same time, among them Ephraim Minerd, Martin Miner, Andrew Jackson Rose Sr. and John S. Trimpey, all of them kinsmen by blood or by marriage.

Immediately upon enlistment, Jacob and his fellow soldiers were sent to Harrisburg, PA for basic training at Camp Curtin. He eventually rose to the rank of sergeant. 

During the war, said the Meyersdale Republican, Jacob "took part in 22 battles."

After the war's end, he mustered out of the 142nd Pennsylvania on May 29, 1865, near Washington, DC, having served for two years, nine months and 17 days.He returned home to the Kingwood area and resumed his occupation of farming.

Said the Republican, "He was a life-long member of the Lutheran Church, a devoted husband and father, a kind neighbor and man of the strictest honesty."


Camp Curtin, Harrisburg, where Jacob trained for wartime service



Jacob's signature

He was thrice married. His first wife was Elizabeth Bodes (or "Bodus") ( ? -1875).

The couple produced these children -- Lydia A. Snyder, Martha Jane King, John W. Phillippi and Albert W. Phillippi. 

When the federal census was enumerated in 1870, the Phillippis lived next to his married sister and brother in law, John and Martha Jane Enos, in Milford Township. Jacob was marked as a farmer, with their daughters Lydia (age 2) and Martha (4 months) in the household.

As did many of the extended Younkin clan of that era, they migrated to Clay County, Kansas in about 1874. Jacob later claimed to have "lived one year in Clay County."


Book naming Jacob

Nothing more about Elizabeth is known, except that she died on April 10, 1875, at the age of 32, in Clay County. She presumably is buried there. She was mentioned many years afterward in her husband's newspaper obituary. Perhaps reflecting the upheaval or confusion that her passing caused the family, Jacob was unable to recall her death date later in life when that information was needed. 

The grieving widower and his four motherless children returned to Somerset County, where he spent the rest of his life.

Jacob's second bride was Elizabeth Snyder (1845-1893). They were wed in about 1877, after he came back from Kansas.

The couple had three more children -- Luther Phillippi, Lucy Shoemaker and Elmer Phillippi. 

Son Luther is thought to have been named for the famed minister Martin Luther, reflecting the Phillippi and Younkin families' strong ties to the Lutheran church.

Sadly, the family ached at the deaths of six-month-old son Luther on Feb. 22, 1879 and then again son Elmer at age one month in January 1886. Jacob kept a family Bible, published in 1875, in which were recorded the births and deaths of their children and family members.


Elizabeth (Snyder) 
Phillippi's grave, 1893

The Phillippis lived on a farm four miles from Markleton in Upper Turkeyfoot Township, Somerset County. The federal census of 1880 shows the family residing in Upper Turkeyfoot, with Jacob laboring as a farmer. That year, their next door neighbors were John S. and Nancy (Younkin) Trimpey.

Jacob was afflicted with heart and kidney disease and an enlarged prostate as he aged. The kidneys, he wrote, were "very painful ... affecting [my] back." Friend Cyrus Knopsnyder recalled that he "brought the doctor for him ... and visited him frequently during his sickness." He began drawing a military pension on Aug. 26, 1890. [Invalid App. #959869, Cert. #782.408.] That same year, he was named in a history of his regiment, War History, authored by Col. Horatio N. Warren. 

Sadly, Elizabeth died on Jan. 31, 1893, at the age of 46 years, nine months. She left behind her husband and their nine-year-old daughter Lucy. Her remains were placed at rest in the Kingwood Lutheran Church Cemetery.

Jacob only remained a widower for two and a half years. 


Meyersdale Republican, 1914

His third bride was Gertrude Ellen King (1866-1949), daughter of Moses and Harriet (Coughenour) King of neighboring Normalville, Fayette County. They were wed in Somerset on June 26, 1895, by the hand of Rev. F.P. Saylor. At the time, Jacob was age 51 and Gertrude 29 -- a difference of 22 years -- with she not having been born until a year after the war's end.

The pair went on to have at least three more children -- Lena Grace Johnson, Ruth E. Phillippi and Lawrence Jacob Phillippi.

Afflicted with paralysis caused by a stroke in the winter of 1914, Jacob's life began to ebb. Reported the Republican, "He was stricken on Wednesday afternoon and was taken to his home before he became unconscious and remained in that condition until his death." Jacob died at age 71 years, two months and 14 days on Feb. 12, 1914. S.J. King and Elmer Brougher were at his deathbed. 

Albert Phillippi of Meyersdale, Somerset County was the informant for his death certificate. Burial was in the Lutheran Cemetery in Kingwood. Local justice of the peace Willis L. Mills was among the mourners who attended the funeral and burial. [Find-a-Grave] Records show that his casket cost $55, the hearse $10 and grave digging $2.50.

After Jacob's death, several friends stepped forward -- among them cousins W.D. Younkin and Ephraim Schrock, as well as David F. Shultz and Frank F. Gerhard -- to help Gertrude with testimony and paperwork needed to obtain her husband's pension payments, which totaled $24 monthly at the time. They became effective Sept. 22, 1916. [Widow App. #1075243, Cert. #819142, XC #954744] She was paid $30 each month circa 1936 -- and in 1941, receiving $40 monthly, she wrote to her congressman J. Buell Snyder seeking an increase. It was declined due to the fact that she was not married to the soldier at the time of his military service. By 1949, the amount she received monthly was $48.

Gertrude made her home in the 1930s and '40s at 540 Leora Avenue in Rockwood. Suffering from "cardiac insufficiency," she died on June 1, 1949, at the age of 83. Interment was in Kingwood.

Daughter Lydia A. Phillippi (1868- ? ) was born on June 7, 1868 in Milford Township, Somerset. She wed Martin Austin Snyder (1872- ? ), son of Jeremiah and Josephine Snyder. The wedding service took place in the bride's home on March 30, 1893, led by Rev. J.E. McClay. Lydia was age 23, and Martin 21, at the time. Nothing more is known.

Daughter Martha Jane Phillippi (1870- ? ) was born on Feb. 27, 1870 in Milford Township, Somerset County, although she herself thought she had been born in Kansas. As a toddler she and her family migrated to Kansas, and returned after only one year following the death of her mother. She married (?) King. In about 1935, she moved to a residence in Champion, Donegal Township, Westmoreland County, PA, and remained there for the final two decades of her life. At the age of 85, suffering from hypertension and hardening of the arteries, she suffered bleeding in her brain and died on April 22, 1955. Mrs. Mary Klein of Somerset was the informant for her certificate of death. Her remains were placed into rest in the Mt. Nebo Cemetery in Champion, Saltlick Township, Fayette County.

Son John W. Phillippi (1871- ? ) was born on Oct. 12, 1871.

Son Albert W. Phillippi (1873- ? ) was born on Oct. 5, 1873. He worked as a laborer in young adulthood and lived near Rockwood in Black Township, Somerset County. At the age of 23, on Nov. 6, 1896, he wed 18-year-old Martha Shoemaker (1878- ? ), daughter of Peter and Catherine Shoemaker. Rev. D.R. Ellis officiated in the ceremony held at Rockwood. Circa 1900, he made his home at Summit Mills, PA.

Pennsville Park, a local landmark near the Shoemaker home        

Daughter Lucy Phillippi (1881-1952) was born on March 14, 1881. At age 19, in 1900, she lived at home and had no occupation. On Aug. 18, 1901, she wed 32-year-old Samuel C. Shoemaker (1869-1934), son of Peter and Catherine Shoemaker. The nuptials were held at Meyersdale by Rev. John H. Knepper. At the time of marriage, Samuel was employed as a carpenter and lived in Pittsburgh. They later relocated to Pennsville, Westmoreland County and were members of St. Paul's Lutheran Church. Their three daughters were Edna Shoemaker, Betty Jennings and Blanche Watson. Lucy passed away at home at the age of 71 on Oct. 27, 1952. She was buried in Scottdale Cemetery.

Son Elmer Phillippi (1885-1886) died on Jan. 29, 1886 at age one month.

Daughter Lena Grace Phillippi (1896-1953) was born on Jan. 31, 1896 and was a twin with her sister Ruth. She wed S.A. Johnson. They lived near Kingwood. In about 1951, Lena was stricken with rheumatoid arthritis. She died two years later, on Nov. 21, 1953, at the age of 57. Interment was in the Odd Fellows Cemetery in Kingwood.

Daughter Ruth E. Phillippi (1896- ? ) was born on Jan. 31, 1896 and was a twin with her sister Lena. Circa 1949, at the age of 50, she lived in Rockwood and signed her mother's death certificate.

Son Lawrence Jacob Phillippi (1897-1918) was born on Aug. 16, 1897. Like his father, he was a farmer. Tragically, as the influenza epidemic swept the nation in the late 1910s, Lawrence was infected and then contracted pneumonia. He died at age 21 on Dec. 11, 1918. Burial was in the Kingwood Lutheran Church Cemetery.


~ Daughter Martha "Jane" (Phillippi) Enos


Younkin Cemetery, Paddytown

Daughter Martha "Jane" Phillippi (1844-1917) was born on Dec. 16, 1844 in Somerset County, PA. As a young girl, she learned the skill of sewing and was considered a seamstress.

At the age of 20, she married 23-year-old farmer and Civil War veteran John Enos (1841-1890), son of Jonathan and Sarah (Marker) Enos. The wedding was held on Jan. 5, 1865 in Listonburg, Somerset County, officiated by justice of the peace Thomas Liston, with friend Mary E. (Van Horn) Spellman in attendance. John stood five feet, five inches tall, with a fair complexion, light hair and blue eyes.

They had nine known children -- Samuel "Judson" (or "Judd") Enos, James "Milton" Enos, Marshall Enos, John Enos, Hermon Enos, Mary Emma Enos, Laura Musgrove, Amanda Hayes and Ellen Kreger. John dutifully wrote their names and dates of birth in a family Bible.

Without benefit of a physician in attendance, the family employed midwives to assist in the births of their children. Elizabeth Gruwall of Kingwood is known to have assisted at Jonathan's birth in 1877, Herman's in 1879 Martha's in 1883 and Ella's in 1885. Martha's married sister Mary Ann Kreger, in whose home the Enoses lived at the time, was midwife for Marshall's birth in 1874.

During the Civil War, John went to New Centerville to join the Union Army, recruited by Martha's step-cousin, Capt. William Meyers Schrock. The Somerset Daily American said that "It was the only occasion during the course of the Civil War that any unit was mustered within the area of Somerset County." The new infantrymen were assembled in the flat field at what today are the grounds of the annual Farmers and Threshermens Jubilee. Four other Younkin cousins and spouses joined the company as well.


Hand-drawn memorial to John,
by LeRoy Forquer of the GAR

Initially known as Capt. Schrock's Independent Company of Volunteer Infantry, it later became part of Company H of Ramsey's Battalion, Pennsylvania Infantry. The soldiers remained in New Centerville until July 6, 1863, following the Battle of Gettysburg, when they received orders to march to the nearby town of Berlin to receive weapons. The men then were ordered to report to Huntingdon, PA, and served on provost duty during a military draft. In early September 1863, recounted the History of Bedford and Somerset Counties, Pennsylvania, the company marched to Harrisburg and thence to Gettysburg:

...where they guarded the field hospital on the battlefield until it was dispensed with in the latter part of October. This company was also in active service at Lewisburg, Sunbury and Selins Grove. From December 11, 1863 until January 8, 1864, the Somerset company was in charge of the Soldiers' Retreat at Harrisburg, where frequently rations were provided for from five hundred to one thousand soldiers who dropped off from trains at meal times. The company was mustered out January 8, 1864.

After the war's end, the Enoses lived in Humbert, Somerset County, where Martha was a member of the Paddytown Methodist Episcopal Church. They are shown there in the 1880 federal census, with John laboring as a farmer, and sons Samuel and James noted as working on the farm. That year, their near neighbors included relatives Delilah Younkin, widow of Frederick J. Younkin; Delilah's son in law and daughter Benjamin and Emily (Younkin) Clevenger; and Marcellus and Ruena (Snyder) Andrews.

As time went on, John suffered illnesses related to his wartime experience. Among them were pneumonia and kidney ailments, known as "Bright's Disease." But at no time did he pursue a military pension to which he was entitled.

John died on Feb. 16, 1890, at the age of 48. Burial was in the Younkin Cemetery at Paddytown. LeRoy Forquer, a cousin by marriage, and a member of the Ross Rush Post of the Grand Army of the Republic in Ursina, noted the death by drawing a memorial in ink in the GAR's ledgers. The papers today have been preserved and digitized by the Sons of Union Veterans of the Civil War, Mt. Union Church Camp #502.

At John's death, Lower Turkeyfoot Township Assessor James B. Colborn wrote that he did not consider the Enos farm worth over Four Hundred [dollars]. Friends Ross Phillippi and Christian Koontz testified that she owned no real estate and that:

[Martha's] only support is her own manual labor, and the Support of her two sons, Marshall and Jonathan.... Mrs. Enos has no income from any source, we know that John Enos when living could not support his family from the products of the farm. He was compelled to work from home to earn money to support his family, and Marshal and Jonathan have been compelled to do the same thing to support the family since the death of their father. We know the above facts to be true, as we are near neighbors.... Since 1890 we have saw the farm often, and know that the farm is a verry Poor Farm, and impossible for a widow like Mrs. Enos to make a living on it. We can safely say, since 1890, if it had not been for the Support of her children who work away from home, the widow Mrs. Enos would be compelled to go to the Poor House for a living....

Early view of Ursina, PA 


Monument to Capt. Schrock's company of Civil War soldiers, New Centerville, PA. Courtesy Linda Marker

That same year, Martha Jane was named in a special census of Civil War veterans and their widows. At the time, she made her home on the family farm near Ursina. She applied for and began receiving a pension from the federal government to help support their young children. Providing affidavits in support of Martha's claim were her sister and brother in law Amanda and Christian Koontz, Josiah Boyd, LeRoy Forquer and Jerome B. and M.A. Jennings, all of Ursina, and Jeremiah Sechler of Turkeyfoot, who claimed to have known Martha over the span of more than 30 years, starting in the 1850s, having resided just a few miles apart. Martha's cousin Marcellus Andrews also provided testimony in an affidavit that he had known her since before her marriage. John Weyand, of Ursina, said that he had known John since boyhood. 

The pension payments commenced July 18, 1890, at a rate of $8 per month. The additional sum of $2 per child was included for each of her five children, to continue until each arrived at the age of 16. (Widow App. #494.647, Cert. #439.843).

Circa 1917, she made her home at 108 Dubois Avenue in Scottdale, Westmoreland County, PA. That year, her pension payments totaled $20 monthly.

Afflicted with cirrhosis of the liver, Martha Jane died on July 29, 1917 at the age of 73. Her remains were returned for burial to Ursina, Somerset County. Ray Musgrove of Scottdale provided facts for her death certificate. Her obituary was printed in the Connellsville Daily Courier.

Many years later, on Oct. 2, 1966, the Somerset County Historical and Genealogical Society dedicated a monument to honor the company, bearing George's name and placed on the site of the mustering ground. Local attorney Robert Keim served as master of ceremonies and Rev. Gene Abel gave the invocation, Judge Thomas F. Lansberry the principal address and Rev. Henry B. Reiley Jr. the dedication prayer. Lansberry remarked in his comments that the local recruits "had ears to hear the call of Father Abraham," said the Daily American. "This was not hearing in the ordinary sense but it was that 'inner ear' through which they heard the call that challenged them to answer the call to colors. He said that they had real courage, not the false type which causes some beatnik to throw a molotov cocktail into a store window, or causes a riot in Watts or Cleveland, but that kind of courage which sends a man through the valley of the shadow of death for the sake of a cause which he considers to be bigger than himself." Also present at the event was George Hoburn, who designed and built the monument, and Bradley Cramer, grandson of Charles Cramer who first developed the monument idea.

Daughter Mary Emma Enos (1867-1938) was born in about 1867 near Confluence. She never married. Circa 1917, she lived in Scottdale. She spent her final years living with her sister Mrs. Aaron Loucks in Scottdale. She died in the Loucks residence at age 71 on Dec. 16, 1938. Her remains were brought to Champion, Fayette County for interment in the Mount Nebo Cemetery.


Jersey Church Cemetery

Son Samuel "Judson" Enos (1868-1948) was born in about 1868. He resided in Confluence for decades. At some point, as a young man, he and his brother Herman Enos worked together for the Laurel Hill Lumber Company. The company operated a railroad along Cranberry Glade Run, Sandy Run and "Kutztown" -- an interchange with the Ursina and North Fork Railway -- to transport wood timbered from the Somerset/Fayette County border. The brothers rode on this rail line are named in the booklet "Stemwinders" in the Laurel Highlands, authored by Benjamin F.G. Kline Jr., part of the series Logging Railroad Era of Lumbering in Pennsylvania. The brothers were burned in the railroad's worst accident when the weight of the locomotive caused a weak bridge over the Laurel Hill Creek to collapse. Then in 1904, at the age of 35, Samuel was a bartender at the Hotel Humbert.

Samuel married a cousin, Mary "Mollie" Rush (1864-1954), daughter of Jacob J. and Sarah (Dull) Rush, granddaughter of Frederick and Margaret "Peggy" (Faidley) Dull and great-granddaughter of George and Christina (Younkin) Dull of Somerset County. They had four known children, Walton Enos, John R. Enos, Harry Ray Enos and Eva Nell Fike. The family were members of the Church of God in Confluence. At the age of 70, Samuel passed away at home, on Jan. 25, 1948. An obituary in the Daily Courier said he was survived by seven grandchildren and one great-grandchild. Following a funeral service led by Rev. George Coffman, of the Church of God, he was laid to rest in the Jersey Church Cemetery. Among those from out of town who attended the funeral, said the Meyersdale Republican, were Mr. and Mrs. Merle Parnell, Mr. and Mrs. Ray Barron of Rockwood; and Lemon Hayes and children Dorsey, Jane and William of Scottdale. Mary outlived her husband by six years. She went to live with her married daughter Mrs. Fike in Somerset. She died in the Fike home at the age of 89 on Jan. 28, 1954. In addition to her children, the Daily Courier noted that her surviving siblings were Mrs. H.L. Sellers, Scott Rush, Mrs. J.B. Crow, Mrs. F.M. Parnell and Ann Kutz.

  • Warren H. Enos

    Grandson Harry Ray Enos (1890-1934) was born on Feb. 13, 1890. As a young man in his 20s, Harry lived in Lower Turkeyfoot Township where he labored in the local coal mines. When World War I broke out in Europe, Harry served as a private first class in the U.S. Army. On Nov. 11, 1920, at the age of 29, he married 27-year-old Jessie Lillian Hall (1893-1987), daughter of Joseph and Mary (Rush) Hall of nearby Ohio Pyle, Fayette County. (Her mother's name also has been given as Emma Leonard.) Their nuptials were held in Rockwood, Somerset County. The couple produced three known children -- Warren H. Enos, Judson Harry Enos and Ila Jean Enos. When the federal census was taken in 1930, the Enoses lived in Ursina, with Harry employed as rural mail carrier, a position which he maintained the rest of his life. They were members of the Confluence Christian Church, the Confluence post of the Veterans of Foreign Wars and the Ursina American Legion. Harry unfortunately suffered from alcoholism, and the illness led to acute kidney disease. Whether or not his ailment was war related is not known. On Nov. 2, 1934, at the age of 44, he died due to their effects. He was placed at rest in the Jersey Church Cemetery. Jessie outlived her husband by more than half of a century. She spent her final years in Confluence, and died at the age of 94, on Oct. 6, 1987, in the Meyersdale Community Hospital. Burial was beside Harry in the Jersey Church Cemetery, following a funeral preached by Rev. Evert C. Millard. The Somerset Daily American printed an obituary.

Great-granddaughter Ila Jean Enos (1926-1987) was born on March 17, 1926 and grew up in the Confluence area. She served in the U.S. Armed Forces, and may not have married. She resided in Somerset, Somerset County. She died on her 61st birthday on March 17, 1987. Rev. Daryl Harclerode officiated at her funeral, followed by burial at Jersey Church Cemetery. A short obituary appeared in the Somerset Daily American.

Great-grandson Warren H. Enos served in the U.S. Army during World War II as a member of the 151st Infantry, 38th Division. He was stationed in the Pacific Theatre and was involved with engagements in New Guinea, Southern Luzon and the Philippines -- seeing action in the battles of Bataan, Zig-Zag Pass, Corregidor and El Fraile. On Nov. 9, 1945, having served for three years and four months, he received his honorable discharge at Camp Atterbury, IN. In postwar years, he earned a living as a carpenter in and around Confluence. He is among several Younkin cousins pictured in the Service Record Book of Men and Women of Confluence, Pa. and Community, sponsored by the Turney-Riley Post No. 7250, Veterans of Foreign Wars. 

Great-grandson Judson "Harry" Enos lived in Louisville, OH circa 1987.

  • Book naming Walton Enos

    Grandson Walton "Max" Enos (1895-1967) was born on Feb. 21, 1895 in Ursina. During World War I, he joined the U.S. Army and was assigned to Company C of the 305th Ammunition Trn., 80th Division. Sent overseas, he saw action at the Battles of Bethincourt Quisy, Montfacon, Nantillois Fme der la Madeline Cunel, Banthevelle, Aineville Beauclair and Crossing Meuse at Sassy. He was discharged June 9, 1919 at Camp Dix, NJ. He and his first wife Sarah Jane Dodson (1896-1978) produced a son, Adelbert Enos. The couple eventually divorced, with Sarah Jane taking back her maiden name. Later, he wed his second spouse, Mary Goniak (1905-1994) of Pittsburgh, daughter of Kazimierz and Mary (Stasienko) Goniak. She was a former majorette with the Ursina Band and was a member of the Trinity Lutheran Church of Confluence and the Ursina American Legion Auxiliary. They together bore these children -- Catherine Jean Prince, Barbara Green, James W. Enos, H. John Enos, Richard S. Enos and Mary Ellen Deal. Circa 1937, Walton was profiled in a book entitled World War Veterans of Somerset County, produced by the Commissioners of Somerset County. At the time, his physical condition was described as "poor." Walton was a member of the Ursina American Legion and the World War I Veterans of Somerset County. He died at home in Confluence at the age of 72 on May 21, 1967. The Daily Courier reported that he was survived by nine grandchildren and one great-grandchild. Burial was in the Jersey Church Cemetery. Mary survived her husband by 27 years. She was a member of "Trinity Lutheran Church of Confluence, Ursina American Legion Auxiliary and former majorette of the Ursina Band," said the Meyersdale Republican. She died at home near Confluence at the age of 88 on June 24, 1994. Walton's first wife, Sarah Jane, died on Jan. 9, 1978, with interment in the Jersey Church Cemetery.

Great-grandson Adelbert Madison "Deb" Enos (1913-2005) was born on April 28, 1913, in Humbert. He married a cousin, Millicent Adele Rush (1923-2010), daughter of William Harrison and Sarah Jane (Thomas) Rush and granddaughter of Samuel and Louisa (Rose) Thomas. Click on their link for more.

Great-granddaughter Catherine Jean Enos (1929-2019) was born on May 9, 1929 in Lower Turkeyfoot. In about 1950, when she was 21 years of age, she was joined in wedlock with Charles H. Prince ( ? - ? ). Their marriage endured for 69 years. They were the parents of Carol Kemp, Charles D. Prince and Clyde Jeffrey Prince. Over the years, Catherine was a store manager for McCrory's in Somerset and tax collector for Ursina Borough. A member of Trinity Lutheran Church in Confluence, she was treasurer of the congregation. She also was a member of the American Legion and Veterans of Foreign Wars Auxiliary where she held leadership roles. Later in life, Catherine retired in Lady Lake, Florida. At the age of 89, as a patient in InTouch Hospice, Catherine passed away on May 5, 2019. An obituary was published in the Somerset Daily American.

Great grandson Richard S. Enos (1938- ? ) was born on March 7, 1938. He wed Anna Maria (?) (1941-2011). They had at least one child and perhaps more. Anna Maria passed away at the age of 70 on Oct. 19, 2011. Burial was in the Jersey Church Cemetery.

Great-grandson H. John Enos (1942-2014) was born on May 26, 1942 in Confluence. He never married. He resided at the home of his maternal grandparents, known as "Kazimierz’ Kastle," where he "enjoyed hosting family reunions, holiday get-togethers, and dinners for family and friends," reported the Somerset Daily American.John was employed as bank manager for First National Bank of Confluence. With an interest also in making new friends, as well as caregiving, especially for the elderly and the infirm, he founded RiverRest Bed and Breakfast and the Enos Personal Care Home. One of his end-of-life patients was Arthur Boughner. Said the Daily American, "A lifelong Lutheran, John served 27 years as treasurer for Trinity Evangelical Lutheran Church, Confluence and he was instrumental in organizing and preparing Trinity’s spaghetti dinner fundraisers to benefit local individuals in need. He initiated the reestablishment of the Ursina Band in 1972 for that community’s sesquicentennial celebration and helped to develop it into a band that became well known in Western Pennsylvania and the Tri-state Area." As his health failed, John was admitted to Meyersdale Medical Center, where he died at the age of 72 on Sept. 1, 2014. Rev. lee Gable officiated at the funeral held in John's church, with burial following in the Jersey Baptist Church Cemetery.

Great-granddaughter Barbara Enos ( ? -2021) was born in Humbert. She was a graduate of Turkeyfoot Valley High School. Upon graduation, she relocated to Washington, DC where she had secured employment with the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI). She married (?) Green ( ? - ? ). They were the parents of Robert Green, Ellen Thomas and Mary Green. The couple established their residence in Omaha, NE, where they raised their family and spent decades of life. Barbara earned income for six decades as an Avon representative. She also liked to entertain, feed birds and enjoy wildlife. Her final years were spent in Columbus, NE in Brookstone Acres. There, she passed away at age 89 on Nov. 12, 2021. The remains were transported back to Ursina for burial in the Jersey Baptist Church Cemetery. Her obituary was published in the Somerset Daily American, in which the family asked that any memorial donations be made to St. Jude Children's Research Hospital.

Great-grandson James W. "Jim" Enos ( ? - ? ) was born in (?). Circa 1958, he wed a distant cousin, Fern Lytle ( ? - ? ), daughter of Raymond and Leah (Leslie) Lytle of the family of William "Wallace" and Amanda (Younkin) Hechler.

Great-grandson Richard S. "Dick" Enos married Anna Batis. She was deceased by 2014. His home in 2014 was in Fayetteville, PA.

Great-granddaughter Mary Ellen Enos was united in wedlock with Fred W. Deal ( ? - ? ) and made a home in Confluence. He was deceased by 2014.

  • Grandson John R. Enos (1897-1910) was born in about 1897. He grew up in Ursina. Tragically, his appendix burst on April 5, 1910, when he was age 13, and septic peritonitis set in. He was rushed to a hospital in Connellsville, Fayette County, PA, where he died the following day on April 6, 1910. Burial was in the Jersey Church Cemetery.


Paul E.C. Fike's biography and photograph published in the 1945 book Bench and Bar of Somerset County, Pennsylvania 1795-1945


  • Paul Fike, ca. 1945, and Somerset County Courthouse

    Granddaughter Eva Nell Enos (1899-1992) was born on Nov. 2, 1899. In November 1924, when she was age 25, she married 22-year-old Paul Everett Coffman Fike (1901-1963), son of Orville and Effie Alverda (Coffman) Fike, the father a local Confluence teacher . They lived in R.D. 3 Somerset in 1954 and had these known children, Tedford Eugene Fike, Nancy Cecile Muma and Robert Alan Fike. A graduate of Mercersburg Academy, Princeton University (1924) and Dickinson College of Law (1939), Paul worked in the insurance and coal business for several years early in his career. In 1944 he was appointed district attorney of Somerset County. During World War II, son Tedford served in the U.S. Navy. Paul returned to private practice in 1946 and was a partner in the firm of Fike & Cascio (later renamed Fike, Cascio & Boose), with offices at 124 East Union Street. In January 1962, he was elected president of the Somerset County Bar Association. He also was a member of the Masons, American and Pennsylvania Bar Associations, Duquesne Club, Princeton Elm Club and board of directors of the Somerset YMCA. Paul died in Meyersdale Community Hospital at the age of 61 on March 11, 1963. An informative obituary was published in the Connellsville Daily Courier. His death also was reported "with sadness" in the Princeton Alumni Weekly. The Somerset Legal Journal published an article about him, reading: "The reputation of Mr. Fike as an excellent lawyer extended far beyond the bounds of Somerset County. So long as any remain who will have known Paul Fike well, there shall always be a guide of a highly skilled, a highly competent lawyer." Paul's son Tedford and brother Eugene owned the Fike Insurance Agency of Uniontown. Eva and Paul's daughter Nancy Cecile wed Harold Muma and lived in Baltimore. Eva and Paul's son Robert made his home in Cincinnati. Eva Nell passed away on Feb. 24, 1992, at the age of 92. Paul and Eva Nell are described in the 1996 book Christian Fike and His Descendants by Merilyn Belle Fike Morrow.

Son James "Milton" Enos (1871-1956) was born on Aug. 9, 1869 (or 1871). At age 21, he married 18-year-old Effia L. Garletts (1874- ? ), daughter of Abel and Rachel Garletts, on Aug. 20, 1892. He was a laborer and lived in 1917 in Confluence. By 1930, he had relocated to Akron, Ohio. In 1938, his home was in Houston, Washington County, PA. By 1947, he had migrated to the West Coast, settling in California. He spent his final years in Stanislaus County, CA. Death enveloped him on July 8, 1956, at the age of 86.

Daughter Amanda Enos (1872-1947) was born on Aug. 24, 1872 in Ursina. She wed Leamon (also spelled "Lemmon") Hayes (1870- ? ), son of Michael A. and Charity Hays, on Sept. 3, 1892, when she was age 20 and he 22. Rev. James A. Younkins performed the ceremony at Somerset. The couple had two daughters -- Mrs. Howard Shannon and Mrs. Edward Higgins. They lived in Ursina before relocating to Scottdale, where Leamon earned a living as a carpenter. Their home in the late 1940s was on Park Avenue in Scottdale. Becoming ill in January 1947, her health declined and she died at home at the age of 74 on May 10, 1947. An obituary was published in the Connellsville Daily Courier.

Son Marshall Enos (1874-1943) was born on Sept. 3, 1874, with his name spelled "Marcial" by his father as written in the family Bible. At age 26, he was unmarried and lived at home, earning a living as a day laborer. He married Martha "Alice" Williams (1882-1971), daughter of George B. and Rebecca (Kooser) Williams. The Enoses were in Jerome, Somerset County in 1907 at the birth of their daughter Ethel Pletcher. In time they "settled on a farm in the Jersey Settlement," reported the Meyersdale Republican. They made their home there for many years. Suffering from a lingering heart illness, Marshall died at home at the age of 69 on Dec. 8, 1943. Burial was in the Jersey Baptist Church, with Rev. Meadows officiating. Alice lived for another 28 years. She died in 1971, at the age of 89.

  • Granddaughter Ethel Enos (1907-2002) was born on April 19, 1907 in Jerome, Somerset County. She wed Creed G. Pletcher (July 2, 1909- ? ), a native of Washington County, PA. Their pair of children were Donald Eugene Pletcher and Alice Rae Kester. Their son Donald is known to have been born in Washington, PA in 1928. Creed sued for divorce in January 1939, as reported by the Pittsburgh Press, and the matter was court-approved in June 1939. Creed married a second time on Aug. 22, 1939 to Mildred H. Weber in Cuyahoga County, OH and produced more offspring. Ethel appears not to have remarried during her long life. She made her residence in Confluence and held memberships in the Ursina American Legion Ladies Auxiliary, Confluence Volunteer Fire Department Ladies Auxiliary, Confluence Senior Citizens and Turkeyfoot Valley Baptist Church. Ethel passed away in Somerset Hospital at the age of 94 on April 15, 2002. Burial was in the Jersey Church Cemetery, with rites performed by Rev. Paul Werner. An obituary in the Somerset Daily American said she was survived by a headcount of 15 grandchildren, 33 great-grandchildren and 15 great-great-grand children. 

    Great-grandson Donald Eugene Pletcher (1928-2023) was born on Feb. 18, 1928 in Washington, PA. He served in the U.S. Army during World War II. Then in 1951, Donald entered into marriage with Peggy Montague (1927-2021). Their union endured for an extraordinary 70 years. Two children in this family were Debbie Calmbacher and Donna Smith. The family home was in Valley Grove near Wheeling, WV. Donald earned a living for many years in the trucking industry. He held memberships in the Hound Club, Turkeyfoot Valley Baptist Church and Ursina American Legion Post 946. Said the Somerset Daily American, "He enjoyed lightweight boxing, hunting in Pennsylvania, running and walking in 5K races, flea markets, yard sales, trips to Pennsylvania and Florida and spending time with family and his dog." Sadly, at the age of 95, Donald passed away in his residence on June 25, 2023. Interment of their remains was in Addison Cemetery.

    Great-granddaughter Alice Rae Pletcher (1929-1989) was born on Aug. 15, 1929 in Confluence. She wed Rev. Burton Grier Kester (1922-1983). The baker's dozen children they produced together were Hazel Ann Thompson, Marcia West, Alice Jane Kohl, Susan Elizabeth Miller, Marshall Kester, Esther Ruth Kester, Miriam Rose Wallbright, Steven Daniel Kester, Ethel Naomi Rogers, Timothy David Kester, Budd Eugene Kester, Philip Paul Kester and Samuel Jason Kester. Their home was in the Iselin community of Saltsburg, Indiana County, PA. They were members of the Fundamental Baptist Church of Indiana. Sadly, at the age of 61, Burton passed away in Indiana Hospital on June 10, 1983. Alice died in Pittsburgh's Allegheny General Hospital at the age of 59 on March 13, 1989. An obituary in the Indiana Gazette said she was survived by 16 grandchildren. Rev. Walter Carney presided at the funeral. Burial was in St. Clair Cemetery in Greensburg, Westmoreland County, PA.

Historic Jersey Baptist Church

Son Jonathan "John" Enos (1877-1949) was born on Jan. 5, 1877. On Jan. 10, 1897, the 20-year-old John married 18-year-old Gertrude Stairs (1879-1921), daughter of George H. and Elizabeth (Summy) Stairs. As Gertrude was underage at the time of marriage, and her parents dead, her guardian J.J. Stairs of Mt. Pleasant provided consent. They were farmers and resided in the mid-1910s through at least the late 1940s in the Jersey "settlement" of Confluence. They had 11 children, of whom seven are known -- Martha Anderson, Mildred Silbaugh, Verna Alcott, Lester Enos, Glen M. Enos, Samuel Enos and William Enos. Sadly, Gertrude died on April 22, 1921, of profuse bleeding just six hours after giving birth prematurely. She was laid to rest in the Jersey Church Cemetery. John married again to Elizabeth Lydig. He died at home in the Jersey settlement at the age of 72 on Dec. 12, 1949. He was buried in the Jersey Church Cemetery.

  • Granddaughter Martha Enos married Paul Anderson ( ? - ? ) and lived in Allison Park, Allegheny County, PA in 1949.
  • Granddaughter Mildred Enos ( ? - ? ) wed Ronald Silbaugh ( ? - ? ) and lived in Twin Rocks and Ebensburg, PA.
  • Granddaughter Verna Enos ( ? - ? ) married Richard Alcott ( ? - ? ) and resided in Ursina.
  • Grandson Lester J. Enos (1906-1987) was born on Sept. 15, 1906 in Lower Turkeyfoot Township. He wed Estella Silbaugh (1915-1992) in about 1934, and they remained together for 53 years. The Enoses lived in Confluence and had six children -- John Lester Enos, Martha Walker, Sally Thompson, Patricia Basinger, Robert Enos and Marshall Randy Enos. Lester served for three years with a cavalry unit in the U.S. Armed Forces and was a longtime coal miner and farmer. Sadly, they are believed to have lost their adult son John in 1965. Lester died in Pittsburgh at Allegheny General Hospital at the age of 80 on Jan. 2, 1987. His remains were laid to rest in the Jersey Baptist Church Cemetery following funeral services led by Rev. John R. Wilson. Estella survived him by five years and passed away in 1992.

Great-granddaughter Sally Marie Enos (1940-1992) was born on Jan. 17, 1940. She married (?) Thompson ( ? - ? ) and had a family. She passed away on Feb. 17, 1992, at the age of 52. Burial was in the Jersey Church Cemetery.

Great-grandson Marshall "Randy" Enos (1954-2006) was born on May 2, 1954. He married Linda Wilt ( ? -living), daughter of June Rugg. Their family of children included Jason Lester "Jake" Enos and Kristy Lytle. Randy loved the out-of-doors. Sadly, on Aug. 2, 2006, he died at the age of 52, with interment in the Jersey Church Cemetery. Linda married again to (?) Andreuzzi of Markleton. Their son Jason (1978-2017) was a member of the Carpenter's Union Local 441, National Rifle Association and the Turkeyfoot Fish and Game Association, but he died at home at the age of 39 on April 4, 2017. Rev. James Monticue preached the funeral service with burial in the Jersey Cemetery.

  • Grandson Glen M. Enos (1909-1994) was born on Feb. 23, 1909 in Lower Turkeyfoot. He married Ruth Leydig ( ? - ? ) and resided in Confluence. The couple had two children -- David G. Enos and Linda Dyer. As with many in this family, he was a longtime farmer and coal miner. In 1994, Glen and Ruth celebrated their 59th wedding anniversary. Glen died in Somerset Hospital at the age of 85 on April 5, 1994. Burial was in the Jersey Baptist Church Cemetery, with Rev. Richard McClintock officiating. An obituary was printed in the Somerset Daily American.
  • Grandson Samuel Enos ( ? - ? ) made his home in 1949 in Somerset.
  • Grandson William Clarence Enos (1915-1991) was born on Sept. 24, 1915. On Dec. 23, 1937, when he was age 22 and a farmer, he married 21-year-old Armeda Gladys Fike (1916- ? ), daughter of Dewey and Iva (Frazee) Fike of Hazelton, WV. He dwelled in Clairton, Allegheny County, PA. Later, he wed H. Jean (?) (1926- ? ). He passed away on April 17, 1991 with burial in Jersey Church Cemetery.


Booklet naming brothers
Herman and Judd Enos

Son Harmon (or "Herman") Enos (1879-1912) was born on Jan. 21, 1879. He was married and resided in or near Humbert, Lower Turkeyfoot Township, where he labored as a coal miner. At some point, as a young man, he and his brother Samuel "Judson" Enos worked together for the Laurel Hill Lumber Company. The company operated a railroad along Cranberry Glade Run, Sandy Run and "Kutztown" -- an interchange with the Ursina and North Fork Railway -- to transport wood timbered from the Somerset/Fayette County border. The brothers rode on this rail line are named in the booklet "Stemwinders" in the Laurel Highlands, authored by Benjamin F.G. Kline Jr., part of the series Logging Railroad Era of Lumbering in Pennsylvania.  Kline writes that:

The railroad crossed a bridge over the Laurel Hill Creek one mile north of Kutztown -- site of the worst wreck in the railroad's history. Ice had damaged the bridge supports, and the bridge collapsed under the weight of the locomotive. Six men were on board: Judd and Herman Enos, Thomas Carr, Frank Jackson, Charles Tressler and Engineer Simon Mitchell. Everyone was buried; Tressler received a broken leg; Thomas Carr was severely scalded.

Herman recovered from his burns but may have given up lumbering for a time. In 1904, he temporarily took over for his brother Judd as bartender at the Hotel Humbert. He began suffering from kidney disease in November 1911 and, though under a physician's care, suffered for 10 months. Unable to recover, he died at age 32 on Sept. 21, 1912. Burial was in Old Bethel Church Cemetery in Kingwood.

Daughter Laura Enos (1883-1918) was born on March 1, 1883. She married Ray Musgrove ( ? - ? ), and they lived in Scottdale. Their home in 1917 was on Dubois Street. That year, Laura's aged mother died in their residence. The following November 1918, Laura was stricken with influenza and pneumonia, an epidemic sweeping the nation. She died on Nov. 10, 1918, age 35. Interment was in Scottdale Cemetery.

Daughter Ellen Enos (1885-1930) was born on March 16, 1885. She wed Orville Kreger ( ? - ? ), and they had these children: Iva Kreger, Alice Ruth Kreger, John Kreger and Thomas Kreger. In 1917, she lived in Acosta, Somerset County, and by 1930 had moved to Rockwood. She was stricken with appendix trouble at the age of 45 and was rushed to Allegany Hospital in Cumberland, Maryland. Said the Meyersdale Republican: "Mrs. Kreger had been in good health before going to the hospital. The attack of appendicitis was sudden and acute, and she expired three days after the surgical operation." Her death occurred in early March 1930. Following funeral services led by Rev. C.W. Raley, her remains were interred in the Rockwood Odd Fellows Cemetery.

Ursina Cemetery

~ Daughter Amanda (Phillippi) Koontz ~

Daughter Amanda Phillippi (1846-1924) was born on Sept. 9, 1846 in Upper Turkeyfoot Township, Somerset County, PA. 

On May 25, 1875, when she was age 29 and he 24, she wed Christian Koontz (1851-1912), son of Samuel Koontz of Somerset County. They resided in Ursina, where circa 1880 Christian worked as a laborer. 

The couple had three known offspring, Charles E. Koontz, James Franklin Koontz and Samuel William Koontz.

Amanda was described by the Meyersdale Republican has having "lived most of her life since her marriage at Ursina where she was greatly respected and esteemed for her Christian life and sterling qualities. She was a consistent member of the Methodist Episcopal Church."

Christian was in the news in September 1885 when a building he owned in Ursina burned mysteriously. Reported the Somerset Herald, "The town of Ursina has been visited by fire bugs of late. On the morning of the first, , at about six o'clock, fire was discovered in the warehouse of Mr. B.f. Snyder's new store building. Every effort weas made to save the building and the goods, but the flames soon communicated with other buildings close by, and four buildings, three of them belonging to Mr. Snyder, and one to Chris. Koontz, were soon licked up by the flames."

As a laborer living in Ursina in 1889, Christian was interviewed as a possible juror in the sensational murder case of brothers David and Joseph Nicely, accused of killing Jennerstown farmer Herman Umberger. In a lengthy article, the Somerset Herald described him as "not related to the parties; no scruples in regard to capital punishment; did not read about the case, but heard about it; expressed an opinion; could render a verdict no the evidence according to the witnesses; have been talked to about the case. Witness stated that he was subject to fainting spells. Excused" The brothers eventually were tried, found guilty and executed by hanging at the Somerset Court House.

When the federal census count was made in 1900, the Koontzes lived in Ursina, with Christian employed as a railroad laborer. Son Charles worked as a school teacher, and sons James and Samuel as day laborers.

The Meyersdale Republican newspaper once said of Christian that he:

...came to live at Ursina soon after the borough was incorporated and lived there continuously since... [He] was a men of Christian character, who led a pure and upright life. He was a sincere worker in church and Sunday school, being a consistent member of the Methodist church for many years and always connected in some official capacity with the congregation to which he was attached. He was a devoted husband and father and a kind and charitable neighbor. Although in moderate circumstances, he was always ready to reach a helping hand to those in sickness and distress. It could be well said of him that he never wronged any one during his life. He was a charter member of Ursina Council Order of United America.... For many years Mr. Koontz devoted much time to beautifying [the Ursina] cemetery and was always urgent in his appeals to lot owners to make it a place worthy of being the abode of loved ones who have passed to the Great Beyond.


Ursina Cemetery

Christian suffered a robbery on his farm in December 1908, which led to newspaper coverage as far away as Altoona, PA. An article in the New Year's Eve 1908 edition of the Altoona Tribune reported: "Christian Koontz, who resides south of Somerset, butchered two large pigs a day or two ago and hung the meat in his smoke house, on the door of which there was a Yale lock. That night some persons unknown cut the lock from the door and carried away the meat."

In September 1910, after Christian and friend Albert Hemminger were accused of violating coal mining laws, with charges brought in Somerset County Criminal Court by James Gahagen, the Connellsville Daily Courier said: "The offense allegedly consisted of crossing the property line and mining coal owned by Gahagen."

Christian was discovered lying dead on Dec. 8, 1912, when he was age 64. The Meyersdale Commercial noted that "On Sunday morning, after eating his breakfast, he retired to his room to prepare for Sunday school, and when he remained up stairs longer than usual the family went to his room to ascertain the cause and found him lying across the bed party dressed, cold in death. The cause of his death was heart failure a disease of which he complained often."

A physician confirmed that the presumed cause was "sudden heart failure." Burial was in Ursina Cemetery. In an obituary, the Commercial reported that "Ursina has lost one of its oldest and most respected residents" and that his death had "cast gloom over the community for about 40 years." Their former pastor Rev. G.W. Ringer of Ohiopyle officiated at the funeral service held in the Ursina Methodist Episcopal Church. Said the Republican, "Among the floral tributes was a beautiful wreath of lilies from the pupil. 6 and 7 of the Confluence public schools, who are now, or were pupils of his son Charles E. Koontz. The pall-bearers were members of the Order of America."

Amanda lived for another dozen years as a widow, and endured the heartbreak of the death of their son Charles in 1919. As her health failed due to longstanding rheumatism and kidney problems ("interstitial nephritis"), Amanda was confined to her bed for the last week leading up to her death at the age of 79 on Nov. 16, 1924. She was laid to rest in the Ursina Cemetery following funeral services led by Rev. L.H. Powell in the family church. Son James Koontz of Ursina was the informant for her death certificate.

An obituary in the Republican noted that she was survived by 13 grandchildren and her brother Aaron of Markleton.


The Koontzes' gravesite, a stop on the 2018 Younkin Reunion tour
Image courtesy Linda Marker



Ursina Cemetery

Son Charles E. Koontz (1878-1919) was born in January 1878. He did not marry, but pursued education as his career path, and in 1900-1919 was employed as a school teacher in the Ursina area. He lived at home with his parents in 1912 at the time of death of his father. Over the years, Charles suffered from kidney disease, known as "nephritis." He frequently took Bromo-Selzer, an antacid brand, to relieve his pain. In 1912, at the death of his father, Charles provided information for his official Pennsylvania certificate of death. At the age of 42, in early November 1919, Charles was stricken with a more acute kidney problem, possibly caused by overdoses of the antacid medication. He died on Nov. 21, 1919. His brother James Koontz of Ursina signed the death certificate, with burial in Ursina Cemetery.

Son James Franklin Koontz (1880-1949) was born on July 9, 1880 in Ursina and was a lifelong resident of the community. He married Nancy "Nannie" Mathews (1881- ? ) and resided in Ursina, where he earned a living as a laborer and coal miner. Their five children were Harry Cecil Koontz, Robert Koontz, Fred Koontz, Ruth Sechler and Martha Rose. When the federal census was taken in 1920, the Koontzes lived in Ursina. During the winter of 1949, James began to suffer from a blocked artery, which led to a heart attack and sudden death at the age of 68 on Feb. 17, 1949. "His wife had gone to the post office and on her return a few minutes later found her husband's body on the kitchen floor," reported the Connellsville Daily Courier. His remains were lowered into rest in the Addison Cemetery following funeral services led by Rev. Alden Allen of the Methodist Church. An obituary was published in the Meyersdale Republican. Nancy survived by some years. She began spending her winters in Chicago with her daughter and son in law, Mr. and Mrs. James Sechler, at times driven there by her son Robert. Circa 1959, she was active with the Women's Society of Christian Service (WSCS) of the Ursina Methodist Church.

  • Grandson Robert E. Koontz (1903- ? ) was born in about 1903 in or near Ursina. He resided in Chicago in the late 1940s and in Uniontown, Fayette County in 1952.


  • Grandson Fred Koontz (1911- ? ) was born in about 1911 in or near Ursina. He made his home in 1949 in Chicago.


  • Granddaughter Ruth Koontz ( ? - ? ) wed George (or "James") Sechler. In 1949-1953, they lived in Chicago.


  • Granddaughter Martha Koontz ( ? - ? ) married Donald Rose. The couple dwelled in Kansas City in the late 1940s and then in Washington, DC in 1949.


  • Grandson Harry Cecil Koontz (1905- ? ) was born in about 1905. He is believed to have married Madalyn Geyer ( ? - ? ), a daughter of Ezra Geyer of Hopwood, Fayette County. They lived in Ursina and became the parents of three known offspring, Nancy Koontz, Harry Koontz and Louise Koontz.

Great-granddaughter Nancy A. Koontz (1935-2021) was born on Nov. 10, 1935. She spent her long life in Ursina, never married and devoted her life to her career and a wide variety of community organizations. A graduate of Turkeyfoot Valley Area High School, she received higher education at the West Penn Hospital School of Nursing in Pittsburgh and a master's degree from the University of Maryland. For years, she was employed as a professor of nursing in the West Virginia University School of Nursing. After retirement, she continued to be active in the field and volunteered her time in a hospital in Cumberland, MD and with Turkeyfoot Valley Schools as a substitute nurse. Among her memberships and activities were the Confluence United Methodist Church and United Methodist Women; attendance at the Ursina Community Church of God and Women's Society of Christian Service, the Kingwood Grange, Great Crossings Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution, New Centerville Volunteer Fire Company Ladies Auxiliary, Confluence Womens Civic Club and New Centerville Farmers and Threshermans Jubilee. In 2003, representing the DAR, she helped to dedicate a new grave marker for Revolutionary War patriot Jacob Minerd Sr. -- father-in-law of Catherine (Younkin) Minerd -- in the Indian Creek Baptist Church Cemetery in neighboring Mill Run, PA. She and her sister Louise attended the Younkin Reunion East of the 1990s-2016, held in Kingwood. Nancy passed away at the age of 85 on Oct. 8, 2021 as a patient in UPMC Somerset Hospital. Rev. Valerie Stark and double-cousin Rev. Dean Hay co-officiated at the funeral service. Burial was in Addison Cemetery.

Great-grandson Harry Koontz married Sandra. They have lived in Lexington, OH.

Great-granddaughter Louise Koontz ( ? - ? ) never married.


Younkin Cemetery, Paddytown

Son Samuel William Koontz (1882-1949) was born in about 1882 in or near Ursina, Somerset County. At the age of 24, on Sept. 23, 1906, he wed 22-year-old widow Mary Katherine (Firestone) Mitchell (1884-1965), daughter of Jacob Isaac and Mahala Jane (Growall) Firestone of Upper Turkeyfoot. Mary had been previously married to John Mitchell, and he had died in about 1903. The ceremony uniting Samuel and Mary in holy matrimony was held at her father's home, performed by justice of the peace A.S. Levy. They went on to married life spanning nearly 43 years. In an interesting twist, Mary Katherine's brother Stanton A. Firestone wedded Reba Catherine (Gerhard) Johnson of the family of Thomas and Adaline (Shaulis) Ream Jr., and her sister Lottie May Firestone wedded John B. Younkin of the family of Rev. Herman and Susanna (Faidley) Younkin.

In addition to her daughter Marie (Mitchell) Lingenfield from the first marriage, Samuel and Mary produced eight more known offspring -- among them Ray Koontz, Warren S. "Toots" Koontz, Ed Koontz, Scott Koontz, Marie Lillian Leer, Betty Blubaugh, Irvin E. "Bill" Koontz and Dorothy Cassidy. Samuel was a longtime laborer with the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad, a position from which he retired. Catherine served as a member of the American Legion Auxiliary, and the family belonged to the Ursina Methodist Church. In February 1932, Catherine's aged father died in their home in Ursina. Burdened with heart valve disease, beginning in 1944, Samuel suffered for five years and died at age 66 on April 25, 1949. Their son Irwin E. "Bill" Koontz of Confluence signed the death certificate. An obituary in the Connellsville Daily Courier said he was survived by 29 grandchildren and four great-grandchldren, and added that "A brother-in-law, Daniel Preston died in Ursina a week ago and a brother, James succumbed to a heart attack several months ago." Mary outlived him by 16 years and passed into eternity in Ursina on May 15, 1965. Among her survivors, said Somerset Daily American, were her brother Stanton Firestone and sisters Mattie King and Lottie Younkin. By the time of her passing, her number of survivors had swollen to 34 grandchildren and 27 great-grandchildren. They rest together under a red barre granite marker in the Younkin Cemetery in Paddytown.


  • Step-granddaughter Mabel Ruth Mitchell (1903-1975) was born on Nov. 1, 1903 in Lower Turkeyfoot Township. She was only an infant when her father died. Mabel was united in matrimony with Gilbert Glenn Lingenfield (1906-1972), a native of West Virginia and the son of James A. and Ethel (Hytt) Lingenfield. They lived in Waynesburg, Greene County, PA and had two children, Sarah Ann Robinson and Glenn A. Lingenfield (adopted). Gilbert was a longtime coal miner and worked for the Hillman Coal and Coke Company for several years, in and around the Dillinger area. Mabel "resided most of her life in the Waynesburg area," reported the Waynesburg Republican. She was "employed by various Waynesburg restaurants, and for several years prior to her retirement had worked at the Isaly store." Their home was at 68 East Franklin Street, and they were members of the First Christian Church of Waynesburg. The couple endured the death of their married daughter Sarah. Sadly, Gilbert passed into eternity on July 27, 1972 while under treatment at Greene County Memorial Hospital. His widow survived him by three years. Having been in failing health, Mabel died on July 25, 1975, in Greene County Memorial Hospital. An obituary was printed in the Republican, stating that her survivors included seven grandchildren, 11 great-grandchildren and one great-great grandchild, in addition to two grandsons who preceeded her in death. Son Glenn is believed to have died on June 11, 1981, with an obituary appearing in the Waynesburg Democrat Messenger.


  • Granddaughter Marie Lillian Koontz (1908-1990) was born on Jan. 8, 1908 in or near Ursina. She married a cousin, Wilbert Clyde "Pat" Leer (1902-1974), son of William and Rebecca Jane (Clevenger) Leer of the family of Frederick J. and Delilah (Faidley) Younkin. They made their home in the Markleton area. Their 13 known children were Doris Schrock, Somerset; Patricia Weimer, McConnellsburg; Mary Jane Marzo, Struthers, OH; Barbara Stewart, Pittsburgh; Maxine Stahl, Somerset; Lois Frantz, Dover, DE; Katherine Pitzer, Portsmouth, RI; Judith Lando, Gaithersburg, MD; Peggy Leer, Cumberland, MD; Richard Leer and Wilbert C. Leer Jr., both of Somerset; Ben Leer, Markleton; Edward Leer, Somerset; Thomas Leer, Garrett; and Samuel Leer, Cumberland. The Leers are believed to have been members of the New Centerville Volunteer Fire Department. Wilbert passed away in Somerset Community Hospital just four days after Christmas 1974, at the age of 72. Rev. Dennis Dawson led the funeral service, with the Somerset Daily American providing an obituary. Marie survived by another 16 years. At the age of 82, Marie died on April 6, 1990 in the Sacred Heart Hospital of nearby Cumberland, MD. Rev. Daryl Harclerode preached the funeral sermon, followed by interment in Somerset County Memorial Park. An obituary in the Daily American gave a headcount of her grandchildren at 30 and great-grandchildren at five.
  • Granddaughter Dorothy Koontz (1909-2005) was born was born on Feb. 2, 1909. She was wedded to Joseph T. Cassidy (1921-2008), who was a dozen years younger than she. They did not reproduce. During World War II, Joseph served his country with the U.S. Navy. Circa 1965-1998, she resided in McKees Rocks near Pittsburgh. Dorothy died just four days after Christmas 2005 at the age of 96. A mass of Christian burial was held in St. John of God Parish, St. Mary's Church. A death notice in the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette noted that she was "survived by nieces and nephews." Joseph survived her by three years. He joined her in eternity on July 23, 2008, at the age of 88. They rest for eternity in St. Mary's Cemetery in McKees Rocks.


  • Grandson Ray William Koontz (1911-1967) was born on Jan. 31, 1911 in Ursina. He married Arveta C. Davis (1911-1993). They made their home in LaVale near Cumberland, Allegany County, MD. Arveta was a volunteer leader of Bible study at the Park Place Methodist Church. They enjoyed hosting picnics and visits with Ray's brothers and sisters from Somerset County. In December 1952, he spent vacation "at his old home in Ursina," reported the Somerset Daily American, "with his time spent in hunting deer." Ray succumbed in LaVale on Dec. 4, 1967, with interment there in Restlawn Memorial Gardens. Arveta survived him by more than a quarter of a century. She died in 1993.


  • Grandson Warren S. "Toots" Koontz (1913-1968) was born on Sept. 6, 1913 in Ursina, a twin with his brother Irvin. Warren. He was married and made his residence in Harnedsville, Somerset County. They had one known son, Tom Koontz. Circa 1959, son Tom was employed at Arlington, VA by Richards Corporation. Warren passed into eternity two days after Christmas 1968 at the age of 55.


  • Grandson Irvin E. "Bill" Koontz (1913-1998) was born on Sept. 6, 1913 in Ursina, a twin with his brother Warren. He married a cousin, Mary Elizabeth Keslar (1919-1997), daughter of Grover Cleveland and Corda E. (Hechler) Keslar of the family of Amanda (Younkin) Hechler. The couple produced one daughter, Mary Elizabeth Koontz, who sadly died in infancy in 1938. With their home in Fort Hill near Confluence, Irvin was a longtime  laborer for the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad and eventually retired from the company. They were members of the Fort Hill Church of God. Circa 1949, their home was considered to be in Tunnel Hill. Sadly, Mary Elizabeth died on Sept. 1, 1997 at the age of 78. Irvin only lived for a little more than a year after his wife's death. Toward the end of his life, Irvin was admitted to Meyersdale Manor in Meyersdale, Somerset County, where he succumbed at the age of 85 on Nov. 9, 1998. Rev. Ron Follett officiated at the funeral service with burial following in the Kingwood Odd Fellows Cemetery. The Somerset Daily American published an obituary.


  • Grandson Edward Koontz ( ? - ? ) lived in Lemont Furnace in 1969-1974, near Uniontown, Fayette County, PA.


  • Granddaughter Betty J. Koontz (1922-1974) was born on July 16, 1922 in or near Ursina. She was wedded to Curtis R. Blubaugh (1918-1977), a native of Ursina and the son of Joseph and Oma (Umble) Blubaugh. They produced an only son, Arnold Blubaugh. During World War II, Curtis served in the U.S. Armed Forces. They made their home in Ursina for decades. Sadly, at the age of 51, Betty died in Somerset Community Hospital on May 24, 1974. Rev. Dennis Dawson conducted funeral services at the Humbert Funeral Home, with burial followign in the Kingwood Odd Fellows Cemetery. An obituary was published in  the Somerset Daily American. Curtis survived his wife by three years and passed in 1977.


  • Grandson Scott Ivan Koontz (1924-1969) was born on June 1, 1924. He married Elaine C. Bowser (April 23, 1926-2022), daughter of Elwood Bruce and Lydia Esther (Cramer) Bowser of Unamis, PA. Two daughters were born to this union -- Sandra Everhart and Beverly Jean Hall. The family dwelled in Confluence, Somerset County, where in young manhood Scott was employed as a telegraph operator by the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad. He joined the U.S. Army after the outbreak of World War II, where he held the rank of sergeant and was deployed to the European Theatre. He took part in the D-Day invasion of France at Omaha Beach aboard an LST (landing ship for tanks) and then a barge. He and his unit were in Brest, France on the fateful day of Sept. 17, 1944, attacking positions fortified by the enemy, when he received serious bullet and grenade wounds. He later told a news reporter that he "was running from one house to another, carrying a machine gun, when he was hit by fragments from the Nazi grenade from a nearby roof. After he dropped to the ground, the Nazi took a shot at him." The Uniontown Evening Standard later said that "When he woke from the blast, a German sniper sitting somewhere nearby took aim at his with his rifle. A bullet struck him in the chest, settling a quarter-inch from his heart." He was evacuated to the 160th U.S. general hospital in England. Surgeons removed 30 shrapnel fragments from his body, but the bullet was left in place. In reporting on his injuries, the Somerset Daily American said that he was "making a normal recovery and will return to the states for further convalescence, his ward surgeon, Captain Samuel Stone, reported."

    Upon return to the States, he sought treatment at the Veterans Administration hospital in Aspinwall, near Pittsburgh. He was able to return to his telegrapher's job at the B&O. His case worsened when he began to suffer from multiple sclerosis in about 1950. In August 1952, he and the family traveled to Portland, OR, where he underwent medical treatment that allowed him to operate a wheelchair and use crutches and canes. But he was plagued by double vision and occasional blindness. For anyone wishing to see, he at times would roll up his pantleg to show off a lump from one unremoved piece of shrapnel. As his dedicated caregiver, Elaine was faced with "quite a job," said the Evening Standard. She was "a small five-footer [who] has to take care of her husband who is something over 6 feet tall." She was a talented musician and liked to play the piano and pipe organ. The family belonged to the Trinity Lutheran Church of Confluence, and Scott was a member of the Disabled American Veterans and the local Lions Club, American Legion and Veterans of Foreign Wars. In July 1962, he was appointed mayor of Confluence and served, without pay, until Jan. 1, 1966. In this role, he ran most of the town business from his bedroom, only going into the office once a week. Much of his focus was on flood control issues in a town where Laurel Hill Creek converged with the Youghiogheny and Casselman Rivers. Said the Evening Standard, "As far as is known, he was the only mayor in the U.S. with MS." He also earned income as a notary public. In 1966, he was profiled in a feature story in a newsletter of the Western Pennsylvania Multiple Sclerosis Society. Scott passed away at home at the age of 45 on Sep. 13, 1969. Rev. James Bramer preached the funeral service, with burial in Somerset County Memorial Park and an obituary appearing in the Daily American.

    Elaine outlived her husband by more than half a century. She married again to Donald O'Neal ( ? - ? ). She belonged to the Trinity Lutheran Church in Confluence, and was a longtime organ player for the congregation. She also was active with the Ladies Church Group. She was a life member of Disabled American Vetereans, a charter member of the American Legion post in Ursina and the Veterans of Foreign Wars post in Confluence. She supported herself through employment with Beggs Brothers Printing, Humbert Furniture and Humbert Funeral Home. At the age of 95, she passed away in the House of Journey's Rest in Somerset on Jan. 4, 2022. Her Somerset Daily American obituary said the funeral service was preached by Pastor Ed DeVore with burial in Somerset County Memorial Park.


Great-granddaughter Sandra Koontz wedded Sylvester Leo Everhart Jr., son of Sylvester Leo and Wilma Lois (Henry) Everhart Sr. of the family of Edward "Jesse" and Iva Lucretia (Conn) Henry. In 2022 they were in Southern Pines, NC. See the Henry biography for more.

Great-granddaughter Beverly Jean Koontz studied nursing at a hospital in Johnstown, Cambria County, PA in the mid-1960s. She resided in Confluence in 1969. In time she was joined in marriage with Gerald Hall ( ? - ? ). The Halls dwelled in Confluence in 2022.


Bird's-eye view of Confluence, 1906. Courtesy Library of Congress.



~ Daughter Mary Ann (Phillippi) Kreger ~

Daughter Mary Ann Phillippi (1848-1918) was born on Jan. 29, 1848 near Paddytown, Somerset County, PA. 

She wed (?) Kreger. They lived in Confluence, Lower Turkeyfoot Township, Somerset County.

In winter of 1918, when Mary Ann was age 70, she was stricken with cancer of her uterus. Added to chronic kidney disease, she declined rapidly and died on Aug. 15, 1918. Interment was in the Jersey Church Cemetery. Fred Kreger -- her husband? -- provided information for her death certificate.


Maple syrup tapping in Somerset County


~ Son Aaron Phillippi

Son Aaron Phillippi (1850-1928) was born in April 1850 near Paddytown, Somerset County, PA. At the age of 30, he was unmarried, lived at home and helped his father with farming. 

Aaron married Sarah E. "Sadie" Meese (1860-1941) in about 1885, when he was age 35 and she 25. 

They were farmers and had five known sons -- Harry C. Phillippi, Wesley A. Phillippi, Bruce W. Phillippi, John E. Phillippi and Joseph Gillian Phillippi. 

When the federal census was taken in 1900, the family lived in or near Humbert, Lower Turkeyfoot Township, where Aaron farmed, assisted by sons Harry and Wesley. Among their near neighbors were Aaron's widowed sister Martha Enos; and distant cousins William and Maggie Rose and Charles and Catherine (Minerd) Rose.

Aaron was named in the Meyersdale Republican obituary of his sister Amanda Koontz in November 1924.


Harry's grave,
Younkin Cemetery

Aaron passed away in 1928. Burial was in the IOOF Cemetery in Kingwood. [Find-a-Grave]

Sadie outlived her husband by 13 years. She died in 1941, and rests for eternity beside Aaron.

Son Harry C. Phillippi (1885-1910) was born on Nov. 16, 1885. He earned a living as a lumberman. On Feb. 11, 1910, when he was age 24, he married 20-year-old Sarah B. "Sadie" Sheller (1890- ? ), daughter of Samuel and Eliza Sheeler. The 1910 census taken in May shows them living together in Lower Turkeyfoot, with Harry employed at a local sawmill, and 24-year-old brother in law Charles Sheeler living under their roof. Tragedy severed their brief marriage after just seven months, in mid-September 1910, when at the age of 24, Harry contracted typhoid fever and suffered unstoppable bleeding of his bowels. He died on Sept. 22, 1910. He was interred in the Younkin Cemetery at Paddytown. Widowed at the age of 20, Sadie made her way to Rockwood, Black Township, Somerset County. After 19 months, she married again on April 1, 1912, to coal miner John Debois (1890- ? ), son of John and Frances Debois. Their wedding took place in Johnstown, Cambria County, PA, near Hastings, where John made his home.

Son Wesley A. Phillippi (1887- ? ) was born in November 1887. Nothing more about him is known.


Younkin Cemetery

Son Bruce W. Phillippi (1892- ? ) was born in May 1892. In young adulthood he was a farmer in and around Markleton, Somerset County. On Sept. 10, 1913, at the age of 21, Bruce wed 17-year-old Marie E. Nicholson (1896- ? ), daughter of David A. and Ellen (Showman) Nicholson. Rev. E.F. House officiated at their wedding, held at Casselman, Somerset County.

Son John Edward Phillippi (1894-1969) was born in 1894. He married Sadie Frances Lichty (1899-1995), of Casselman, a daughter of Frank and Eva (May) Lichty. Their wedding was held on Feb. 28, 1920, when John was age 25 and Sadie 21. Rev. A.W. Hayes officiated. At the time of married, John worked as a driver. They went on to produce 11 known children -- Clyde R. Phillippi, Ralph "Brownie" Phillippi, James Phillippi, Florence Phillippi, Nancy Phillippi, Roy Gene Phillippi, George Phillippi, Milton E. Phillippi, Alvin Phillippi, Mary Spangler and Kenneth Phillippi. They resided in Casselman and were members of the Old Bethel Church of God in Hexebarger near Kingwood. Sadly, John died in 1969 at the age of 75. Sadie survived until her death at the age of 94 on May 8, 1995. Burial was in the Kingwood Odd Fellows Cemetery, with Rev. John H. Snyder preaching the funeral sermon. In an obituary, the Somerset Daily American reported that her suvivors numbered 18 grandchildren and 15 great-grandchildren.


  • Grandson Clyde R. Phillippi (1921-1995) was born on Sept. 25, 1921 in Casselman. He was wedded to Cleo Knopsnyder (1932-2007), of Markleton, the daughter of Blaine and Grace (Johnson) Knopsnyder. She brought a son to the marriage, Ronald Knopsnyder. The couple lived in Rockwood at 457 West Main Street and were members of the Somerset Church of God. They produced one daughter of their own, Carol Raygor. Clyde spent his working career as a railroad laborer. Cleo was employed by the Rockwood Poultry Factory. Clyde died at home at the age of 73 on Feb. 17, 1995. Funeral services were led by Rev. M.D. Herring. The Somerset Daily American printed an obituary. Cleo survived her husband by a dozen years. She succumbed at Somerset Hospital at the age of 75 on Sept. 8, 2007. Rev. M.D. Herring led the funeral service, with burial in the Odd Fellows Cemetery in Kingwood, and an obituary printed in the Daily American.


  • Grandson Ralph A. "Brownie" Phillippi (1925-1978) was born on March 1, 1925 in Casselman. He was united in holy wedlock with Opal Louise Schrock (1918-1980), a native of Connellsville, PA and the daughter of Charles H. and Hazel (Brown) Schrock. Opal brought a son to the marriage, Larry Schrock. They went on to produce a son of their own, John Phillippi. Ralph was a member of Somerset Eagles and Cement Finishing Union, Local 528, noted the Somerset Daily American. They made their home in Rockwood. Ralph died in Somerset Community Hospital at the age of 52 on Dec. 14, 1978. Burial was in Normalville Cemetery, with Rev. Dewayne Johnson leading the service. An obituary was printed in the Meyersdale Republic. Opal lived for just two years as a widow. She passed away at age 61 in Somerset Community Hospital on April 6, 1980.


  • Grandson James M. Phillippi (1939-1987) was born on April 22, 1939 in Casselman. He was united in wedlock with Mary Hinzy ( ? - ? ), the daughter of Homer and Bessie (Pyle) Hinzy of Reading Mines, Somerset County. They remained together for a quarter of a century. The family relocated to Beaver County, PA and were members of the Latter Day Saints Church of Monaca and maintained membership in the Odd Fellows of Kingwood. The Phillippis resided in Beaver Falls in 1978 and in West Bridgewater in 1987, a base from which James worked in the foundry of General Alloy Casting Company of Rochester. They produced a family of five children -- James M. Phillippi Jr., Timothy A. Phillippi, Mark Phillippi, Todd Kaladzeij and Lucinda Long. James died at the age of 48 in the Medical Center of Beaver just four days before Christmas 1987. His remains were returned to his old home region for interment in the International Order of Odd Fellows Cemetery in Kingwood. Bishop Nelson officiated at the funeral service. An obituary appeared in the Meyersdale Republic. Mary survived as a widow for more than 32 years and dwelled in Rochester. During that time, she endured the untimely deaths of her grandson James Phillippi III and great-grandson Eli Wright. Said the Somerset Daily American, she "loved to cook, and enjoyed eating as much as cooking." She died at home at the age of 80 on March 28, 2020. Her obituary was printed in the Daily American, which counted her survivors as 10 grandchildren and 16 great-grandchildren.

Great-grandson James M. Phillippi Jr. wedded Sharon. They relocated to Missouri.

Great-grandson Timothy A. Phillippi marries Susan. The couple established a residence in Aliquippa, Beaver County.

Great-grandson Mark Phillippi

Great-grandson Todd Kaladzeij

Great-granddaughter Lucinda Phillippi married Robert Long. They live in Fallston, Beaver County.


  • Granddaughter Florence Phillippi


  • Granddaughter Nancy Phillippi ( ? - ? ) was a twin with her brother Alvin.


  • Grandson Roy Gene Phillippi made his home in Bethel Park, near Pittsburgh, in 1995.


  • Grandson George Phillippi (1929-1995) was born on Aug. 27, 1929 in Casselman. He may not have married, and apparently never reproduced. George resided in Rockwood and was employed for many years until retirement by the Pennsylvania Department of Transportation. He also was a member of the American Legion. George died at Somerset Hospital at the age of 66 on Dec. 14,1995. Burial was in the Odd Fellows Cemetery in Kingwood, with Rev. John Snyder officiating, and an obituary published in the Somerset Daily American.


  • Grandson Milton Earl Phillippi (1934-2006) was born on Feb. 21, 1934 in Casselman. He married Norma Jean Gary ( ? - ? ). They dwelled in Rockwood and Scullton and had three offspring -- Shari Showers, Nancy Phillippi and Gary Phillippi. Milton died at home at the age of 72 on March 29, 2006. The Somerset Daily American ran a brief obituary.


  • Grandson Alvin Phillippi (1923-2022) was born in about 1923 in Casselman. At about the age of 50, he was joined in wedlock with Joan M. Nicholson ( ? - ? ). Their union endured for 31 years. She brought four stepchildren into the marriage -- Gerald Nicholson, Patty Neidig, Peggy Musto and Veronica Sims.  The couple first lived in Rockwood. He earned a living through his work at a coat factory in New Centerville, Somerset County, Green Garden and additional factories. For 15 years, he was employed as a carpenter helper. Said the Somerset Daily American, he "loved to tinker with anything mechanical, being outdoors, hunting, fishing, [and] word searches." At one time he belonged to the Christian & Missionary Alliance Church of Rockwood. Later, after a move to Denver, Lancaster County, PA, he joined Zion Baptist Church. Alvin died at home at the age of 80 on March 10, 2022. The remains were transported to Somerset County for funeral services at his former church, led by Rev. Tim Dietrich.


  • Granddaughter Mary Margaret Phillippi (1931-2004) was born on June 1, 1931 in Casselman. In about 1953 or '54, she was wedded to George Holland "Charlie" Spangler (1930-2004), the son of Harry Milton and Ruth Leora (Bridigum) Spangler. For decades, they made their residence in Rockwood at the address of 3495 Copper Kettle Highway. They had three children -- Linda Jane Spangler, Mark Allan Spangler and a daughter who died in infancy. They were members of the Messiah Lutheran Church at New Centerville, Somerset County. George served with the U.S. Army and for more than 50 years was self employed as a contracted milk hauler for Fikes Dairy. Sadly, George died on Feb. 24, 2004. Mary survived him by less than a year. She joined him in eternity just five days before Christmas 2004. Funeral services and burial were held at the family church, with the Somerset Daily American publishing obituaries.

Great-grandson Mark Allan Spangler (1962-2019) was born on Oct. 15, 1962 in Somerset. He apparently never married. At the age of 16, he joined his father's business, Spangler Trucking, which transported milk on behalf of local farmers. He remained in the business for the rest of his life, and eventually became owner and operator. Said the Somerset Daily American, he "was always available to help people in need." He belonged to the Messiah Lutheran Church in New Centerville. Sadly, he died at the age of 56 on April 3, 2019. Services were held in the family church, with Pastor Lee Gable preaching the sermon. His remains were placed into eternal rest in the adjoining cemetery.

Great-granddaughter Linda Jane Spangler (1955-2023) was born on Jan. 27, 1955 in Somerset. She ws an alumna of Rockwood High School. Linda appears not to have married and to have made her home in Rockwood. She held a membership in the Messiah Lutheran Church. As her health declined, she was admitted to reside in Martin's Personal Care Home in Rockwood. She passed away there at the age of 68 on June 9, 2023. Burial was in New Centerville Unin Cemetery.


  • Grandson Kenneth "Bud" Phillippi dwelled in Edie, PA in 1978 and in 1995 in Somerset.

Son Joseph Gillian Phillippi (1899-1919) was born on Aug. 6, 1899. He was a farmer, following the footsteps of his father and forefathers. On the eighth day of the new year 1919, he was brought dangerously low with influenza. He endured the illness for five days, but died on Jan. 13, 1919, at the age of 19. Burial was in the Younkin Cemetery at Paddytown. On his grave marker, still legible today, is written, "Meet me in Heaven."


~ Son John "Wesley" Phillippi ~

Wesley's tree trunk grave marker, Rulo, Nebraska. Courtesy the late Paula Segrest.

Son John "Wesley" Phillippi (1855-1892) was born on Oct. 22, 1855 near Paddytown, Somerset County, PA. 

When the federal census enumeration was made in 1870, Wesley at age 14 lived at home and provided labor on the family farm.

Wesley eventually made his way westward to Nebraska, the cornhusker state. He settled in Rulo, Richardson County, a small community along the Missouri River.

Sadly, he surrendered to the angel of death on June 6, 1892. His remains lie in repose in Rulo City Cemetery. The inscription on his grave marker reads "Philipi." with a carved tree trunk sculpture atop the stone. His demise received a brief mention in the Verdon (NE) Vedette: "Wesley Phillipi died at his home near Rulo on June 6, age 37 years."

The cause of his untimely passing is not yet known. Some dozen years later, at the death of his mother, Wesley was named in her obituary in the Meyersdale (PA) Commercial.


~ Daughter Sarah Catherine "Sadie" (Phillippi) Sechler ~


Younkin Cemetery

Daughter Sarah Catherine "Sadie" Phillippi (1858-1923) was born on July 11, 1858 in Somerset County, PA. 

She wed Ephraim "Scott" Sechler (1853-1937), whose date of birth was Jan. 11, 1853. They resided on a farm in Lower Turkeyfoot, Somerset County.

Their known children were Mary M. Sechler, Ira "Austin" Sechler, Alice E. Sechler, Charles Wesley Sechler and James A. Sechler.

Heartache enveloped the Sechlers on Sept. 24, 1876 when baby daughter Mary, age 13 days, died and was buried in the Younkin Cemetery in Paddytown. Further tragedy rocked the family on Oct. 28, 1896, when son Charles died at the age of 20 years, 17 days. His remains also were interred in the Younkin Cemetery at Paddytown. On the face of his grave marker was inscribed "In Loving Remembrance."


Younkin Cemetery

Having suffered with chronic kidney disease (interstitial nephritis), Sadie died at age 65 on May 28, 1923. Burial was in the Younkin Cemetery.

Scott survived his wife by 15 years. He passed away on Sept. 18, 1937. He was interred in Paddytown at the Younkin Cemetery.

Son Ira "Austin" Sechler (1878-1960?) was born on July 6, 1878 in Lower Turkeyfoot. He was a farmer and resided in Confluence. Austin married Ella Burroughs and they had two children -- Russell Sechler and Mrs. Ross Sanner. The family were members of the Methodist Church. Austin died near Confluence in about 1960. Burial was in Somerset County Memorial Park. At his death, said a local newspaper, he was survived by five grandchildren and eight great-grandchildren.

Daughter Alice Emily "Emma" Sechler (1880- ? ) was born in January 1880. In 1910, unmarried at age 30, she lived at home with her parents in Upper Turkeyfoot.

Son James A. Sechler (1881-1956) was born on March 2 or 4, 1881. He lived in Kingwood. He married Alice E. (?) (1883-1951). Alice passed away on Oct. 16, 1951. James outlived her by five years. He died on Dec. 6, 1956 (or 1958) at age 75, in the Price Hospital in Confluence. A short obituary appeared in the Connellsville Daily Courier. They are interred together in the Younkin Cemetery at Paddytown.


Copyright © 2013-2014, 2016, 2022 Mark A. Miner

This page is dedicated in the memory of cousin-researchers who graciously shared their findings: Linda Marker, the late Donna (Younkin) Logan and the late Olive (Rowan) Duff. Jacob and Elizabeth (Snyder) Phillippi grave marker photos courtesy of Linda Marker.