What's New

Photo of the Month

Minerd.com Blog


National Reunion


Cousin Voices

Honor Roll

In Lasting Memory

In the News

Our Mission and Values

Annual Review

Favorite Links

Contact Us


Lydia (Emerick) Beal
(1826- ? )


Lydia (Emerick) Beal was born in about 1828, presumably in or near Wellersburg, Southampton Township, Somerset County, PA, the daughter of of Jonathan and Rachel (Sturtz) Emerick Sr.

She entered into the bonds of marriage with John Beal (1826- ? ), a native of Maryland.

A dozen known children were born to this union -- Jonas "John" Beal, John "Jackson" Beal, Mary Beal, Emanuel "Manual" Beal, Emily Beal, Sarah Ellen McVicker, Margaret Catherine "Maggie" Porter, Frank Beals, Anna Evelyn Bruce, Rachel Beal, Isabelle Addis and Christina "Tina" Beal.

When the federal census enumeration was made in 1850, the Beals dwelled near Lydia's uncle John Adam Sturtz Jr. and aged grandparents in Southampton Township.

Then during the decade of the 1850s, the family migrated across the county line into Londonerry, Bedford County, PA.

On the move again during the 1860s, the Beals relocated into Maryland and in 1870 made a home in Allegany County, MD. The 1880 census shows them in the community of Mt. Savage, Allegany County, a short distance south of Wellersburg.

The final fates of the couple are not yet known. Research by others posted on Ancestry.com hints that John passed away in 1900 and that Lydia died in Mt. Savage on Aug. 13, 1910.


Aerial view of Cumberland, MD, including the zigzag National Highway bypass over the railroad tracks


~ Son Jonas Beal ~

Son Jonas Beal (1848-1912) -- pronounced "John-uss" -- was born in Feb. 1848 in Southampton Township, Somerset County. He never learned to read or write.

At the age of 21, he resided on the home farm near Cumberland, Allegany County, MD.

All evidence suggests that in about 1874, he married Mary Isabelle Newman (Nov. 1855-1936), also a Pennsylvania native whose parents were Irish immigrants.

The eight children born to this couple included John Thomas Beal, Anna J. Beal, Joseph E. Beal, Michael J. Beal, Patrick Beal, William Beal and Charles Beal, plus one who was deceased young, prior to 1900.

The family dwelled in 1880-1900 in Mt. Savage, Allegany County, MD. He was employed for years as a laborer with the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad, and in 1900 all of their teenage sons worked as laborers to generate income.

Later, they moved into the city of Cumberland, and their address in 1912 was Lexington Street.

On the fateful day of Dec. 27, 1912, while at work in the B&O yards near Oldtown Road, the 63-year-old Jonas was struck by a moving engine which was in the process of shifting tracks. "His head was crushed and legs broken," reported the Cumberland Evening Times. He was rushed to Allegany Hospital where he died within the hour. Funeral services were held in the home of his daughter Mrs. H. Crosby at 325 Maryland Avenue. Burial followed in St. Patrick's Cemetery in Cumberland. As a widow, Mary moved into the home of her daughter. She remained there for the remaining 24 years of her life, which included a move to 939 Maryland Avenue. She passed away in the Crosby residence five days before Christmas in 1936. An obituary in the Evening Times spelled her name "Beall" and reported that a high mass was sung at St. Mary's Catholic Church, led by assistant pastor Rev. W. Joyce Russell.

Son John "Thomas" Beal (1875-1962) was born in 1875 in Ellerslie, Allegany County, MD. He married Grace ( ? - ? ). The couple became the parents of Francis Joseph Beal and William T. Beal. During World War II, he made a home on Maryland Avenue in Cumberland. He endured a parent's agony when his son William was killed in action in Okinawa and son Francis wounded in Czechoslovakia. At the age of about 86, in 1962, he died in Oakland, Garrett County, MD. His remains are in eternal repose in St. Peters Catholic Cemetery in Westernport, Allegany County.

  • Grandson Francis Joseph Beal (1917- ? ) was born in about 1917 in Westernport, MD. When both he and she were age 21, Francis was joined in wedlock with Louise Elizabeth Sullivan (1917- ? ), daughter of John and Theresa Sullivan of Keyser, Mineral County. The wedding took place on June 30, 1938, at the Assumption Church in Keyser, officiated by Rev. P.J. Morahan. The family settled in Keyser, and three children were born to this union. During World War II, Francis joined the U.S. Army and was deployed to the European Theatre. On May 2, 1945, he received a wound while in Czechoslovakia. The news was reported in the Cumberland Evening Times. After the war, the couple remained in Keyser.


Name of William T. Beal, lost in battle in Okinawa during World War II, etched on the Courts of the Missing in Honolulu, Hawaii. Courtesy Sherry Staley Harysch


  • One of the tablets in Honolulu honoring William T. Beal and all missing servicemen and women of the South Pacific during World War II
    Grandson William T. Beal (1912-1945) was born in 1912. He grew up in Westernport, MD and attended the Bruce and St. Peter's High Schools. In young manhood he lived with his uncle and aunt, Owen and Fannie Walsh on Main Street in Westernport and earned a living through his work at the Luke plant of West Virginia Pulp and Paper Company. He was united in marriage with Angeline Stead ( ? - ? ). In October 1941, two months prior to the outbreak of World War II, he joined the U.S. Navy. While he was away, Angeline remained Westernport William is known to have trained at Norfolk, VA and initially was deployed to the Atlantic Theatre. Not long afterward, he was moved to the Pacific Theatre of War, with the rank of shipfitter first class. He took part in the bloody November 1943 battle for the Tarawa atoll and survived despite 6,000 casualties. He also participated in the battle for Iwo Jima in early 1945. Tragically, while engaged in action at Okinawa, on April 6, 1945, he lost his life, and his remains were buried at sea. Today his name is inscribed on a tablet in the Courts of the Missing in Honolulu, HI. Angeline's fate after that is not known.

Daughter Anna J. Beal (1876- ? ) was born in June 1878 in Allegany County, MD. She married Harvey Edward Crosby (May 24, 1879-1940), son of Joseph and Elizabeth (Bell) Crosby of Hyndman, Bedford County, PA. Children born to this union were Leo Crosby, Anna C. Crosby, Marcella Virginia Henry, Pauline Seibert, Mrs. B. Woodyard Dyche and Joseph Crosby. They lived in Cumberland in 1912, at the address of 325 Maryland Avenue and at 939 Maryland Avenue in 1936. Harvey worked for the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad as a railroad flagman in 1930 and as a freight conductor in 1940. He belonged to the Brotherhood of Railroad Conductors. In all, his railroad career spanned 35 years. On the fateful day of Feb. 17, 1940, having completed a run from Cumberland to Connellsville, PA, he suffered a massive heart attack and died at the age of 61. His obituary was published in the Cumberland Evening Times, and the remains were returned to Cumberland for interment. Charles E. Crosby of Connellsville signed the Pennsylvania death certificate.

  • Grandson Leo Crosby ( ? - ? ) entered into marriage with Mary Margaret Sell ( ? - ? ), daughter of Allen M. Sell of 766 Maryland Avenue in Cumberland. Their wedding mass was held at St. Mary's Catholic Church, officiated by assistant pastor Rev. W. Joyce Russell. The news was announced on the pages of the Cumberland Evening Times. The Crosbys first lived at 221 Carroll Street in Cumberland. In time they relocated to Palm Springs, CA.
  • Granddaughter Anna C. Crosby
  • Granddaughter Marcella Virginia Crosby ( ? - ? ) was born in (?). She graduated from St. Mary's High School. On the evening of July 29, 1941, in the rectory of St. Mary's Catholic Church on Oldtown Road in Cumberland, she was joined in matrimony with Kenneth Leasure Henry ( ? - ? ), son of J.B. Henry of 231 Williams Street.
  • Granddaughter Pauline Crosby ( ? - ? ) was united in wedlock with Claude Seibert. They dwelled in Seibert, MD and bore one son, Edward Lewis Seibert. Sadly, Pauline's health plummeted in the fall of 1938, and she was admitted to Allegany Hospital in Cumberland. She died four days later, at the age of 31, on Sept. 22, 1938.
  • Great-granddaughter (?) Crosby wedded B. Woodyard Dyche/Dykes. Circa 1940, their home was on Bedford Street in Cumberland.
  • Grandson Joseph Crosby ( ? - ? ) - In young manhood, he obtained employment with the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad, working in its Bolt and Forge Shops in Cumberland. On May 29, 1942, he married Helen Whalley ( ? - ? ), daughter of Harry Whalley of 401 Springdale Street in Cumberland. The nuptials were held at St. Mary's Church on Oldtown Road, presided over by Rev. W. Joyce Russell. Helen was "attired in a navy jacket suit with white accessories and ... a shoulder corsage of yellow rosebuds," reported the Cumberland Evening Times. At the time, she earned a living with her work at the Ben Franklin Stores.

Son Joseph "Edward" Beal (1878-1963) was born on Dec. 8, 1878 in Mt. Savage, Allegany County, MD. He was united in wedlock with Ella M. Piper ( ? -1945). They made a residence in Cumberland. Together, the couple produced a brood of four sons -- George Austin Beal, Lester P. Beal, William E. Beal and F. Carlton Beal. Sadly, Ella was swept away by the angel of death in 1945. Edward outlived his wife by 18 years. He endured the heartache of the untimely death of their son George in 1953. His address in the early 1960s was 547 Greene Street. With his health in decline for several weeks, Joseph died at home at the age of 80 on Aug. 6, 1963. An obituary appeared in the Cumberland News. Burial of the remains was in Mt. Savage Methodist Cemetery, with Rev. John U. Lyness preaching the funeral sermon.

  • Grandson George Austin Beal (1909- ? ) was born in about 1909 in Mt. Savage, Allegany County, MD. He earned a living as a clerk with the Allegany Ballistics Laboratory. He married Thelma Hendershot ( ? - ? ). The couple did not reproduce. They are known to have shared a home with his parents and brothers in the early 1950s, and belonged to Centre Street Methodist Church. At the age of 43, having been in ill health for nine months, he was admitted to Sacred Heart Hospital. The grim reaper cut him away within the week at the age of 43 on Sept. 11, 1952. The Cumberland Evening Times said in an obituary that Rev. L.W. Burton, of the Park Place Methodist Church, officiated at the funeral service. Interment was in Hillcrest Burial Park.
  • Grandson Lester P. Beal resided with his parents in 1963.
  • Grandson William E. Beal dwelled in Cumberland.
  • Grandson F. Carlton Beal dwelled at home with his father and mother in the early 1960s.

Son Michael J. Beal (1880- ? ) was born in Jan. 1880, likely in Mt. Savage, Allegany County, MD. His fate is not yet known.

Son Patrick Beal (1884- ? ) was born in July 1884 in Maryland. Nothing more about his life has been learned to date.

Son William Beal (1885- ? ) was born in Dec. 1885 in Maryland.

Son Charles Beal (1890- ? ) was born in June 1890 in Pennsylvania.


~ Son Jonathan "Jackson" Beal ~


Meyersdale Area Union Cemetery

Son Jonathan "Jackson" Beal (1850-1942) -- also known as "John" and "Jack" -- was born on Feb. 18, 1850 in Kennell's Mill/Wellersburg, Southampton Township, Somerset County.

On Nov. 7, 1872, when he was age 23, he married Malinda Baker (Jan. 1853- ? ), also of Wellersburg. Their wedding was held in Wellersburg, officiated by Rev. Benjamin Knepper.

The family of eight children produced in this marriage were Sarah A. "Sadie" Williams, Ida Holzshue, Royal Benjamin "Roy" Beals, John "Edward" Beal, Edith May Beachey, Harvey Ray Beal, Bessie Gertrude Sperry Lowery Bowser and Charles Beal.

For 58 years, Jackson was "prominent lumberman, carpenter and mine operator," reported the Connellsville Daily Courier.

The family first dwelled in Wellersburg and then by 1874 moved across the state border into Maryland.

When the federal census enumeration was made in 1880, the Beals dwelled in Mt. Savage, Allegany County, MD, with Jackson working as an engine man in a machine shop. In 1900, now on Lincoln Avenue in Meyersdale, Somerset County, Jackson was a coal miner.

Then in 1910-1920, he labored in a local mill, likely the Meyersdale Planing Mill. Jackson and Malinda celebrated their golden wedding anniversary in November 1922 with a family gathering. In a story about the happy event, the Meyersdale Republican reported that "for the occasion all of their eight children were at home together for the firt time in twenty-six years."

About thirty persons partook of the sumptuous dinner prepared for the occasion, as, besides the sons and daughters ... there were sons-in-law and daughters-in-law, and eight grandchildren, and Rev. John A. Ditzler, who offered the prayer. Many gifts of gold coin and other valuables were received. There was no special form of entertainment, but the day was most happily spent in conversation and the recalling of joyous days of the remote past. Mr. and Mrs. Beal accompanied their son Edward to Wheeling, W.Va., on Wednesday where they will spend a few weeks, after which they intend to visit each one of their sons and daughters at their respective homes.

Jackson's continued working at the Meyersdale Planing Mill until after reaching the age of 80. In June 1935, he is known to have attended the circus at Meyersdale with his daughter and son-in-law, Bessie and Frank Lowery.

He marked his 88th birthday in 1938 with a dinner held at the Lowery home. Among friends present were W.P. Dively, Valentine Gress, Simon Fullem, W.F. Payne, John Gress, George Beal, Calvin Lint and William Grof. In reporting the story, the Republican called him "one of the oldest residents of Meyersdale... He came to Meyersdale only a few years after the town was incorporated and has lived here for the past 66 years. He is enjoying good health.... He is one of the oldest members of Amity Evangelical and Reformed Church in Meyersdale."

After Malinda's death, he relocated circa 1940 to Connellsville, Fayette County, PA, making his residence with his married daughter Mrs. Frank Lowery at 122 South Fourth Street.

Having been burdened for the last year of his life with organic heart disease, he succumbed to his illness at the age of 91 on April 13, 1941. Interment of the remains was in Connellsville's Hill Grove Cemetery, with son-in-law Frank Lowery, of the family home, signing the official Pennsylvania certificate of death. The body was transported to Meyersdale for funeral services held at the Amity Evangelical and Reformed Church, followed by burial in Meyersdale Area Union Cemetery. Co-officiating at the service were Rev. Nelson Brown and Rev. Dr. B.A. Black. An obituary was published in the Daily Courier.

Daughter Sarah Ann "Sadie" Beal (1873-1953) was born on Aug. 14, 1873 in Maryland, likely in Mt. Savage, Allegany County. She married John Williams ( ? - ? ). Their home in 1911-1941 was in McKeesport near Pittsburgh. By 1949, they had relocated to New York State and settled in Syracuse.

Daughter Ida Beal (1875-1946) was born on July 26, 1875 in Mt. Savage, Allegany County, MD, although she may have thought her birthplace was in Meyersdale. She was joined in matrimony with John J. Holzshue ( ? - ? ). In about 1896, they migrated to Pitcairn, Westmoreland County, PA, and stayed there and in Wilmerding, Allegheny County for her remaining 50 years of life. Their address in the mid-1940s was 445 Eleanor Street. Sadly, she was diagnosed with diabetes as well as cancer, the liver and nearby glands. At the age of 70, she passed away in Pitcairn on May 11, 1946. Burial of the remains was in Fairview Cemetery, with F.W. Holzshue, of Sharon, PA, providing details for the death certificate.

Son Royal Benjamin "Roy" Beals (1879-1964) was born on Jan. 6, 1879, likely in Mt. Savage, Allegany County, MD, although he thought Meyersdale, PA was his place of birth. On Oct. 17, 1906, he was united in the bonds of wedlock with Margaret McIndoe ( ? - ? ). They established a residence in New Castle, Lawrence County, PA, where Royal found employment with Carnegie Steel Corporation. Together, the pair bore four known children -- John E. Beals, Ralph H. Beals, Elsie McCullough and Gladys Hegedus. Their address was 1315 Neshannock Boulevard, and they belonged to Clen-Moore United Presbyterian Church. For 26 years, after leaving Carnegie Steel, he operated a grocery store, retiring in 1949 at the age of 70. Sadly, at the age of 85, Royal passed away at home on May 10, 1964. The New Castle (PA) News published an obituary, which counted his survivors as seven grandchildren and six great-grandchildren. Rev. William J. Turner Jr. presided at the funeral service, followed by burial of the remains in Oak Park Cemetery.

  • Grandson John E. Beals ( ? - ? ) was born in (?). On June 6, 1959, he entered into marriage with Shirley Coates ( ? - ? ), niece of Mr. and Mrs. Alfred Thomas of 925 Temple Avenue. The wedding was held at the First United Presbyterian Church in New Castle, led by Rev. Dr. Robert Mayo. Reported the New Castle News, Shirley "selected a gown of white lace over taffeta and carried white orchids and stephanotis with a white Bible, a gift of her grandmother..." They were in New Castle in 1964.
  • Grandson Ralph H. Beals made his residence circa 1964 in New Castle.
  • Granddaughter Elsie Beals wedded Robert McCullough. They dwelled in New Castle.
  • Granddaughter Gladys Beal married William Hegedus. The couple's home in 1964 was in New Castle.


Centre Street in Meyersdale, PA, at the bandstand


Son John "Edward" Beal (1881-1955) was born in April 1881 in Maryland. He migrated in young manhood to Pittsburgh, where he worked as a cigar maker. On May 10, 1905, at the age of 24, he was united in wedlock with 24-year-old Mary C. Nail, daughter of O.E. and Clarrissa Nail of Clarion, Clarion County, PA, about 77 miles to the northeast of Pittsburgh. Their nuptials were held in Clarion, presided over by Rev. S.H. Day. The couple eventually moved to Wheeling, WV by 1922, and in time cross-country to San Diego, CA. He was in San Diego in 1949 when named in the obituary of his brother Harvey.

Daughter Edith May Beal (1883-1967) was born on Sept. 1, 1883 in Maryland. On the evening of Sept. 12, 1909, when she would have been about age 26, she wedded Earl Clifford Beachy (June 2, 1887-1967), son of Lloyd and Georgia (Folk) Beachy of West Salisbury, Somerset County. Their nuptials were held in the parsonage of Amity Reformed Church, officiated by the hand of Rev. Dr. A.E. Truxal. News of the marriage was announced in the Meyersdale Republican. They resided in Salisbury, Somerset County in 1922 and in McKeesport near Pittsburgh in 1941-1967. Earl was employed as an inspector for the National Tube Works of United States Steel in McKeesport. Their address circa 1967 was 1703 Butler Street. Sadly, husband wife died only a few months apart. Earl was budened with heart disease and died instantly, on July 8, 1967, after infliction by a pulmonary embolism. Toward the end, suffering from heart disease and diabetes, she was admitted to McKeesport Hospital. The angel of death carried her away on Dec. 5, 1967. Dale Beachy of McKeesport was the informant for the official Pennsylvania certificate of death. Interment of the remains was in Jefferson Memorial Park in Jefferson Borough.

Son Harvey Ray Beal (1888-1949) -- also known as "Harry" -- was born on June 23, 1888 in Meyersdale, Somerset County. He lived in Berlin, Somerset County in 1922, and is known to have composed a poem recited at his parents' 50th wedding anniversary dinner that year. Circa 1929, he put down roots in Barberton, Summit County, OH, where he had obtained employment with Babcock and Wilcox Company as a foreman and carpenter. He remained in Barberton for most if not all of the rest of his life. He is believed to have been married twice. He and his first bride produced three children -- Lydia Logsdon, Hazel Zeigler and Jack Beal. At the age of 46, on Dec. 22, 1934, he wedded 41-year-old Gertrude (Mehaffey) Dunn (March 19, 1893- ? ), daughter of Herman and Anna (Snyder) Mahaffey. The wedding was held in Barberton, by the hand of Floyd Withrow. Gertrude was an employee of B.F. Goodrich at the time. She was divorced and brought a daughter to the marriage, Imogene Arnold. Sadly, at the age of 60, Harvey died in Barberton on Feb. 9, 1949. An obituary in the Meyersdale (PA) Republican noted that he was survived by six grandchildren. Funeral services were led by Rev. H.D. Finley, of the First United Presbyterian Church, with interment following in Greenlawn Memorial Park.

  • Granddaughter Lydia Beal marred (?) Logsdon and lived in Barberton, OH in 1949.
  • Granddaughter Hazel Beal wedded (?) Zeigler. She resided in 1949 in Sharpsville, PA.
  • Grandson Jack Beal dwelled in Barberton, OH in 1949.

Daughter Bessie Gertrude Beal (1892-1970) was born on Sept. 19, 1892 in Meyersdale, Somerset County. In mid-March 1910, when she was age 17, she wedded 23-year-old William P. Sperry (1886-1932). News of their marriage license was published in the Meyersdale (PA) Republican. The newlyweds first made their home with Bessie's parents in 1910 in Meyersdale, Somerset County. They bore at least two children, Benjamin F. Sperry and Anna May (Sperry) Rubright. William was a member of the Meyersdale Fire Department and is known to have taken part in regular water battle championships with other towns' teams, using high pressure water hoses. In one particularly competitive bout, in September 1916, he was among four men who were "injured in what was probably the fiercest water battle ever fought," said the Republican, "when Meyersdale went down to defeat before Stowe Township.... None of them was seriously hurt, but the battlers came through exhausted, some blinded, others nearly strangled, and all, more or less, injured." William's skin was torn away by the force of the opposing water jet, and his back bruised, "half strangled and suffering from exhaustion. He recovered in a few hours and was taken home on an evening train." The family's address in 1917 was on Second Avenue in Meyersdale at a time when he was elected fire chief. William was stricken in March 1917 by inflammation, known as rheumatism, and could not raise one arm to his head or lace his shoes. The couple took over the operation of the Pennsylvania Restaurant on Meyersdale's Center Street in 1923, and ran it for a year, but William's health failed and they had to give it up. Reported the Republican, "Mr. Sperry and his estimable wife have, during the short time that they have been engaged in business, demonstrated to the public that they are eminently qualified for the business, and their many friends and patrons are sorry that the proprietor's health compels him to retire." Bessie and William and their children, along with the Frank H. Taylor family, took a driving vacation in August 1925 to the nation's capitol and Luray Caverns in the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia. William's occupation in 1927-1932 was with the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad, holding the position of engineer in 1932. He and Bessie traveled to Halethorpe, MD in October 1927 to view the company's 100th anniversary exhibit. William suffered during the late 1920s with kidney stones and gallbladder problems. His recoveries seem to have been temporary, and in January 1932, with his symptoms more serious, he traveled to Baltimore to seek relief in Johns Hopkins Hospital. Death swept him away a week later, at the age of 46, on Jan. 26, 1932. His funeral was held in their home, led by Rev. B.A. Black of the Amity Reformed Church. The remains were lowered into repose in Meyersdale Area Union Cemetery.

As a widow, Bessie remained in their home on Lincoln Avenue. A furnace overheated in early March 1933, "in the middle of the house" said the Republican, "behind plastering and under the foor of a downstairs room." The fire department was called in time, and arrived to put out the blaze without using water, only chemicals. By March 1933, she had begun seeing her future second husband, railroad locomotive fireman Frank Lowery (1892- ? ) of Garrett, Somerset County. The gossip columns of the Republican noted that they had spent time together, along with Frank's sons, in a visit with Frank's parents, Samuel and Janet (Walker) Lowery of Coal Run. The relationship developed quickly, and they obtained a marriage license in Somerset in May 1933. The pair tied the knot on April 30, 1933, in the parsonage of St. Johns Reformed Church in Salisbury, Somerset County, led by Rev. Albert M. Wright. The couple were in Somerset County in 1935 but by 1940 had relocated to Connellsville, Fayette County, where Frank had secured work as a fireman with the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad. Circa 1941, the Lowerys' address was 122 South Fourth Street in Connellsville, with Bessie's elderly widowed father in the household. By 1964, Bessie married a third time to Reuben Emanuel Bowser ( ? -1977), widower of Edith (Wengard) Bowser and son of E.M. and Tracie (Hoffman) Bowser. The pair lived in Meyersdale, where Reuben owned and operated the Bowser Market. He belonged to the Meyersdale post of the American legion and Elks Club as well as the Amity United Church of Christ. Bessie succumbed to death on Feb. 22, 1970, at the age of 77, in Meyersdale Community Hospital. Her survivors included three grandchildren and seven great-grandchildren. Rev. Lloyd Sechriest led the funeral, with interment following in Meyersdale Area Union Cemetery. Reuben outlived her by seven years. Sadly, at the age of 69, Reuben passed away at home on Oct. 4, 1977, with burial in Union Cemetery and an obituary published in the Meyersdale Republican.

  • Granddaughter Anna Mae Sperry (1916-1970) was born on Feb. 24, 1916 in Meyersdale, Somerset County. She was united in marriage with David Rubright ( ? - ? ). Six known offspring produced by this union were Daisy Schmidt, Robert Rubright, Dorothy Haines, Cherrie Ambrose, Erin Springer and Dianne Rubright. They dwelled in rural Rockwood in the late 1960s and 1970, and were members of Amity United Church of Christ of Meyersdale. The family was plunged into grief when Anna Mae died at the age of 53, on Jan. 25, 1970, as a patient in Somerset Community Hospital. Preaching the funeral sermon was Rev. Richard Shellenberger. The remains were lowered into the sacred earth of the Reformed Cemetery, Meyersdale, and the Meyersdale Republican printed an obituary.

Son Charles Russell Beal (1898-1972) was born in Sept. 1898 in Pennsylvania. By 1922, he had relocated to McKeesport, a small city near Pittsburgh. He remained in McKeesport as of 1964.


~ Daughter Mary Beal ~

Daughter Mary Beal (1852- ? ) was born in 1852. Her birth year also has been given as 1844.

Or perhaps there were two daughters in the family named Mary.

Her paper trail has faded in the misty haze of the past.


~ Son Emanuel Beal ~


Sampson's Rock, a landmark of nature in Mt. Savage, 25 ft. high

Son Emanuel Beal (1854-1914) -- also known as "Manual Beals" and "E. Manuel Beal" -- was born on or about Sept. 26, 1854 in Southampton Township, Somerset County.

Circa 1879, when he would have been 24 years of age, he was bonded in marriage with Sarah E. Beal (June 1, 1856-1908).

The nine known offspring born to this union were Mary F. Beal, Matilda "Tillie" Robinette, Annie Beal, Emanuel Beal Jr., Ida Beal, Minnie Baldwin Howsare, Hazel Ethel Beal and Sarah Hansrote, plus on who died young, prior to 1900.

The couple made their home in 1880 over the Maryland state line in Mt. Savage, Allegany County. At that time, he earned a living as a car painter, likely for the railroad industry.

In about 1889, at the age of 35, Emanuel secured employment as a railroad car inspector for the Cumberland and Pennsylvania Railroad. The family relocated into the city of Cumberland, MD, and he worked for the company for the remaining 25 years of his life.

Sadly, Sarah died on Oct. 18, 1908, at the age of 52 years, four months and 17 days.

Emanuel outlived her by six years.When the federal census enumeration was made in 1910, Emanuel shared a home on Smith Street in Cumberland with his divorced daughter Mary Logsdon and her three daughters. His work was as a railroad car repairman. On Dec. 16, 1914, while a patient at Cumberland's Allegany Hospital, he succumbed to the spectre of death. His age at the time was 60 years, two months and 20 days. The remains were lowered into eternal sleep next to Sarah's in Porter Cemetery in Eckhart, Allegany County. In a short obituary, the Baltimore Sun said that "Eight children survive."

Daughter Mary F. Beal (1877- ? ) was born in about 1876. She was joined in wedlock with (?) Logsdon ( ? - ? ). The couple bore a family of five children, of whom three daughters are known -- Pearl Logsdon, Lucy M. Logsdon and Sarah Logsdon. Two other children died young, prior to 1910.

  • Granddaughter Pearl Logsdon (1900- ? ) was born in about 1900 in Maryland.
  • Granddaughter Lucy M. Logsdon (1903- ? ) was born in about 1903 in Maryland.
  • Granddaughter Sarah Logsdon (1906- ? ) was born in about 1906 in Maryland.

Daughter Matilda "Tillie" Beal (1879- ? ) was born in about 1879. She was joined in wedlock with (?) Robinette.

Daughter Annie Beal (1880-1950) was born in Dec. 1880. She wedded Henry W. Deal ( ? - ? ). The couple dwelled in Frostburg. The offspring produced by this marriage were James H. Deal, Henry Deal, Mary Elizabeth Bishop, Emma Pearl Garlitz and Anna May Weslow. As a widow, Annie went to live with her son on New Hope Road in Frostburg and was ill for the last two years of her life. She succumbed to death at the age of 69 on March 15, 1950. An obituary was printed in the Cumberland Evening Times.

  • Grandson James H. Deal made his home on New Hope Road in Frostburg in 1950.
  • Grandson Henry Deal dwelled in Borden, MD, a coal mining community near Frostburg.
  • Granddaughter Mary Elizabeth Deal married (?) Bishop. She was in Borden, MD in 1950.
  • Granddaughter Emma Pearl Deal wedded (?) Garlitz. She dwelled in 1950 in Borden, MD.
  • Granddaughter Anna May Deal was united in matrimony with (?) Weslow. Her residence circa 1950 was along New Hope Road in Frostburg.


Big Savage Mountain highway landscape in Frostburg, Maryland


Son .Emanuel Beal Jr. (1883-1944) -- also spelled "Beals" -- was born in June 1883. He did not marry and spent his years in Cumberland. He died at the age of 61, as a patient in Springfield State Hospital in Sykesville, MD, on Nov. 25, 1944. An obituary was printed in the Cumberland News. Funeral services were preached by Rev. J.L. Stewart of the North Cumberland Assembly of God Church. Interment was in Porter Cemetery in Eckhart, MD

Daughter Ida Beal (1886- ? ) was born in Feb. 1886. She appears to have been deceased by 1950.

Daughter Minnie Beal (1888- ? ) was born in April 1888. She entered into marriage twice. Her first known spouse was (?) Baldwin ( ? - ? ). They lived in Pittsburgh in 1944. then by 1950, she wedded her second husband, (?) Howsare ( ? - ? ).

Daughter Hazel Ethel Beal (1891-1974) was born in Aug. 1891 in Mt. Savage, Allegany County. She never married. For 40 years, she was employed with the Crystal Laundry. She made her home at one time with her sister and brother in law, Mrs. and Mr. Earl M. Hansrote at 19 Boone Street. She made news in May 1940 when she was "slightly injured in stepping in front of a moving car," reported the Cumberland Evening Times. "Police said the driver had the 'go' traffic signal and that the accident was unavoidable... She was treated at the office of a physician." Sadly, at the age of 82, while a resident of Cuppett-Weeks Nursing Home in Oakland, Garrett County, MD, she passed away on July 16, 1974. An obituary in the Cumberland News said that "a number of nieces and nephews survive."

Daughter Sarah "Sadie" Beal (1897-1967) was born in Oct. 1897 in Cumberland, Allegany County, MD. She married Earl Martin Hansrote ( ? -1958), a native of Martinsburg, Berkeley County, WV and the son of John and Laura (Reeder) Hansrote. The couple together produced two sons, Wilbur Earl Hansrote and Elmer George Hansrote. They made a home for years in Cumberland at 19 Boone Street. For much of that time, Sarah's unmarried sister Hazel Ethel Beal lived under their roof. Earl earned a living as a boilermaker for the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad. He belonged to the Knights of Pythias lodge and the International Brotherhood of Boilermakers union. Sarah held a membership in the Central Assembly of God Church. Sadly, at the age of 65, Earl died in Cumberland's Memorial Hospital on March 27, 1958. An obituary in the Cumberland News said that the funeral was led by Rev. Frank Fratto, of the family's church, with burial in Rose Hill Cemetery. Sarah outlived her spouse by nine years. Death swept her away at home, at the age of 69, on May 19, 1967. Rev. Fratto again preached the funeral sermon, and again the News printed an obituary.

  • Grandson Wilbur Earl Hansrote ( ? - ? ) was born in (?). He earned a living in young manhood at the Celanese Corporation plant in Cumberland. On Feb. 18, 1935, he was joined in marriage with co-worker Wilma Evelyn Mason ( ? - ? ), daughter of Charles C. Mason of 636 Columbia Avenue in Cumberland. Their wedding was held in Windber, Somerset County, in the parsonage of the Methodist-Episcopal Church, by the hand of Rev. G.G. Gallagher. Their marriage was announced on the pages of the Cumberland Sunday Times. They lived in Cumberland, MD in 1958. By 1967, they were in Potomac Park, near Cumberland.
  • Grandson Elmer George Hansrote (1921-1974) was born on Feb. 3, 1921. He served in the U.S. Armed Forces during World War II. Elmer was united in wedlock with Alvelina Betty Woods ( ? - ? ). The pair bore a family of seven children -- Manuel Hansrote, George Hansrote, Earl Hansrote, Louis Hansrote, Roger Hansrote, Normanda Lesko and Sarah Kriske. They relocated to Johnstown, Cambria County, PA and were there in 1958. By 1967, the family had migrated to New Jersey, settling in Willingboro, NJ, at the address of 74 Gaberal Lane. There, he had secured employment with U.S. Steel. Elmer died at the age of 53 on July 11, 1974. An obituary was printed in his old hometown newspaper, the Cumberland (MD) Evening Times.


~ Daughter Emily Beal ~

Daughter Emily Beal (1858- ? ) was born in 1858.


~ Daughter Sarah "Ellen" (Beal) McVicker ~

Daughter Sarah "Ellen" Beal (1859-1931) was born on Aug. 9, 1859 in Cumberland, Allegany County, MD.

Circa 1885, at the age of 25, she was joined in holy matrimony with John Robert McVicker (April 22, 1859-1945), the son of Jesse and Ellen (Robb) McVicker of Bedford County, the father a veteran of the Civil War.

The couple together bore a baker's dozen children in their family over the span of two decades, from 1881 to 1901 -- William Merrian McVicker, Clarence Clayton McVicker, Jesse J. McVicker, Arthur McVicker, Samuel E. McVicker, Nora "Edith" Cronan, John B. McVicker, Liddy McVicker, Franklin Dennis "Frank" McVicker, Harry Ellsworth McVicker, Laura B. Sanders Wise and Walter G. McVicker. Three other of the children were deceased by 1900.

When the federal census enumeration was made in 1900, the family dwelled in Shade Township, Somerset County, PA, with John laboring as a coal miner. Then during the decade between 1900 and 1910, they relocated to Summerhill Township, Cambria County, PA, where coal mining work was available.

The 1910 federal census shows that John and three of his sons earned a living as coal miners that year. He also earned income from lumbering. After many years in the dirty, dangerous work in the mines, John became a house carpenter during the 1910s.

In about 1914, the family relocated to Portage, Cambria County, PA. The 1920 United States Census shows the McVickers in Portage, with him working in the carpentry field.

The couple appears to have separated by 1930. The census of 1930 shows Sarah heading a household which included her bachelor son Samuel and married daughter Laura Sanders and Laura's three children.

For the last 15 years of her life, she suffered from a toxic thyroid gland and chronic heart disease.

Death gathered her away without warning  at the age of 71 on Feb. 6, 1931 in Portage, Cambria County, PA. Son Samuel McVicker of Portage was the informant for the official Pennsylvania certificate of death. Burial was in Mt. Union Cemetery in Portage.

John was not named in his wife's newspaper obituary. He outlived her by 14 years and in 1932 was in Conemaugh Heights. His final address was in the home of his married son Samuel at 712 Orchard Street in Portage. For years, he endured chronic heart disease and hardening of the arteries as well as a buildup of fluids and swelling in his lower extremities as well as gangrene of both feet.

He died at the age of 86 on July 22, 1945. An obituary in the Bedford Gazette said that he had been "an invalid for the past six years" and that his "confinement was caused by a fractured leg which failed to heal properly... Three of his sons served in World War I and six of his grandsons in the present global conflict." Funeral services were held in the family residence, led by his grandson, Rev. William D. McVicker of West Pittston, PA. His remains were lowered into eternal repose in Portage's Mount Union Cemetery. He was survived by 27 grandchildren and 28 great-grandchildren. Son Samuel again provided details for the death certificate, and misspelled his mother's maiden name as "Diehls."

Son William Merrian McVicker (1881-1950) was born on Sept. 10, 1881. When he was age 22, he resided in Beaverdale, Cambria County, PA and supported himself as a coal miner. On Aug. 6, 1903, at age 22, he wedded 21-year-old Myrtle Plummer (1882-1943), also of Beaverdale and the daughter of Oliver and Lovina Plummer. Justice of the peace A.J. Skelly performed the marriage ceremony at Wilmore, Cambria County. Two offspring produced by this union were William Gerald McVicker and Magdeline Pearl Miller. Myrtle passed away in 1943. William married again to Ival Pearl (Plummer) Oldham (1900-1974). Circa 1945-1950, the McVickers dwelled near Portage, Cambria County. William eventually retired from mining. Stricken with pancreatic cancer, blocking the bile dusts, he was admitted to Johnstown's Mercy Hospital. At that place, he succumbed to the spectre of death at the age of 68 on June 3, 1950. Interment was in Mount Union Cemetery, Portage Township.

  • Grandson William Gerald McVicker (1905-1972)
  • Granddaughter Magdeline Pearl McVicker (1907-1995) married (?) Miller.

Son Clarence McVicker (1883- ? ) was born in 1883. He is thought to have died young, as a brother born 11 year later was given the same name.

Son Jesse J. McVicker (1887-1891) was born in 1887. Sadly, at the age of four, he died in Juniata, Bedford County, PA on Oct. 17, 1891. Burial of his tender remains was in Old Union Cemetery in Buffalo Mills, Bedford County.

Son Arthur McVicker (1887- ? ) was born in 1887.

Son Samuel Edgar "Sam" McVicker (1889-1982) was born on May 10, 1889 in Meyersdale, Somerset County. At the age of 20, in 1910, he lived at home in Summerhill, Cambria County, PA and earned wages as a coal miner. By 1920, when he was 30 and still a bachelor, he was a mule driver in the coal mines of Portage, Cambria County. Circa 1930, single at age 40, he was a crane operator for construction projects in Portage. He eventually married Edna L. DeArmitt (May 2, 1908-1965), daughter of Robert and Nora (Warnick) DeArmitt of Huntington, PA. They lived in Portage at 712 Orchard Street. Sadly, burdened with hypertension and heart disease, Edna died in Johnstown's Conemaugh Valley Memorial Hospital at the age of 57 on Oct. 4, 1965. Samuel survived her by 17 years. He passed away in Portage at the age of 93 on May 12, 1982. Their remains sleep for all time in Mount Union Cemetery in Summerhill.

Daughter Nora "Edith" McVicker (1890-1932) was born in Sept. 1890 in New Baltimore, PA. At the age of 23, she entered into marriage with 23-year-old Dennis Patrick Cronan (July 18, 1891-1944) of Gallitzin, PA. Together, the Cronans produced a brood of 11 children, of whom three were deceased by 1932 -- Thelma Cronan, Franklin Carl Cronan and Eugene Cronan. The offspring who survived childhood were Virgil "Virginia" Shields, Jennings P. Cronan, Grace Cronan, Samuel Cronan, Nora Jean "Norgene" Cronan, Ethel Cronan, Warren Cronan and Edith Cronan. The family was plunged into mourning when son Franklin died of cholera and acidosis at age eight months on Aug. 19, 1918 and a baby daughter stillborn on Sept. 2, 1927. When the federal census count was made in 1930, the family was in Green Township, Indiana County, and Dennis earned his wages as a coal mine laborer. The family's address in 1932 was in Commodore, PA at House No. 31. The Cronans' grief was compounded in early February when Edith, expecting another child, contracted kidney disease which led to a toxic infection. She gave birth to her daughter Edith on Feb. 8, 1932, but then suffered a cerebral embolism. She died in Indiana Hospital without recovering at the age of 40 on Feb. 15, 1932. Burial was in Mount Union Cemetery in Summerhill, following a funeral service in the family home led by her nephew Rev. William McVicker. An obituary in the Indiana Gazette said she was "the mother of eight living children... She was a member of the Lutheran Church of Portage and well-beloved by her family and a host of friends and associates." Dennis lived for another dozen years as a widower. He married again to Henrietta ( ? - ? ). The pair appears to have produced a daughter of their own, Bertha Cronan. The 1940 United States Census shows the family in Clymer, Indiana County, with Dennis not having an occupation that year. He passed away on Feb. 18, 1944. The remains were interred in Church of the Resurrection Cemetery in Clymer, Indiana County, PA.

  • Granddaughter Virgil "Virginia" Cronan (1916- ? ) was born in about 1916. She wedded Lawrence Shields (1916- ? ). The three known children of this family were Dolores Shields, Dennis Shields and John Shields. In 1940, they shared a home with Virgil's father in Clymer, Indiana County, PA, with Lawrence employed as a coal loader in a nearby mine.
  • Grandson Jennings P. Cronan (1919-2005) was born on June 3, 1919 in Portage. He served in the U.S. Army during World War II as a member of the 229th Field Artillery Unit. With the rank of sergeant, he took part in the Battle of the Bulge. On Nov. 17, 1945, in nuptials held at Ernest, PA, he was joined in marital union with Anna Mae East ( ? - ? ). Their marriage endured for a remarkable 58 years until cleaved apart by death. The couple's eight children were Patrick Cronan, Daniel Cronan, Brenda Rhine, Joyce Dunnehoo, Debra Kidwelll, Lucinda Patterson, Cheryl Williams, Marsha Carnahan, Janice Barton and Pamela Allen. He was employed by Indiana University of Pennsylvania as a boiler tender, retiring in 1981. Anna Mae worked at R&P Coal Company. Jennings served on the board of directors of the Ernest Bible Church and was the building's caretaker for many years. He also enjoyed tending his garden. To the family's horror, their 26-year-old daughter Debra Kidwell and her twin sons Joshua and Jackson went missing in California on May 4, 1979 after having been dropped off at Los Angeles International Airport with the intention of flying home to visit her ailing mother. By 2021, they had not been found, and the matter considered a missing personal cold case by the Ventura County Sheriff's Office. They lived for 27 years in Ernest, PA and in about 1999 relocated to Shelocta, PA. The Cronans marked their golden wedding anniversary in November 1995 and were pictured ni the Indiana Gazette. At the age of 85, Jennings died at home on May 5, 2005. Rev. John Sykes preached the funeral sermon, with burial in Indiana's Oakland Cemetery.
  • Granddaughter Grace Cronan (1920-1999) was born in about 1920. She married Michael Carbonaro ( ? - ? ). The pair relocated to Erial, NJ. They became the parents of Frank Carbonaro, Michael Carbonaro and Dennis Carbonaro. Sadly, at the age of 78, Grace died on April 12, 1999. Her obituary was printed in the Philadelphia Inquirer. Her remains sleep for all time in Gate of Heaven Cemetery in Berlin, NJ.
  • Grandson Samuel R. Cronan (1925- ? ) was born in about 1925. He was only age 7 at the death of his mother.
  • Granddaughter Nora Jean "Norgene" Cronan (1926- ? ) was born in about 1926.
  • Granddaughter Ethel A. Cronan (1928- ? ) was born in about 1928.
  • Grandson Warren E. Cronan (1929-2005) was born on Nov. 24, 1929. He was only two years old when his mother died. Warren went on to a life of run-ins with law enforcement. In 1950, at the age of 19, he was charged with a New Year's Eve burglary and arson at the Breezy Point Tavern in or around Indiana, PA and was captured at a roadblock. Around 1953, he married Josephine Pagano (May 31, 1923-1965) and relocated to Niagara Falls, NY. They became the parents of three -- Darlene Cronan, Michael Cronan and Dennis Cronan. The couple separated, with Warren making a living through his work at International Paper Company. When he was laid off from the company, he returned to his wife and children. On the dark day of June 6, 1965, after an argument, he pointed a 12-gauge shotgun at his wife and  pulled the trigger, killing her instantly. A few minutes later he took aim at his left thigh with the same weapon and again fired, causing major wounds requiring amputation. Josephine's remains were lowered into eternal peace in St. Joseph's Cemetery in Niagara Falls. Warren was convicted later that year of second degree murder, despite making claims that he could not recall the shooting. In 1971, imprisoned at Attica Prison in New York, and wearing an artificial leg, he was an eyewitness to a murder during the famed prison riot. In June 1975, he testified in court about what he had seen. Reported the Sayre Evening Times, "...after the riot broke out he was taken into an area with other prisoners who were physically or mentally disabled. He said he was in a cell and someone had put a table in front of a door to block entrance to a gallery." He saw inmate Bernard Stroble lying on top of one of two inmates he had kidnapped and killed, with one of the men covered in blood from his stomach to his neck. He eventually was released from prison and returned to Indiana. He is believed to have passed away on Nov. 6, 2005 in New Bethlehem, Clarion County, PA.
  • Granddaughter Edith Cronan (1932- ? ) was born in about 1932.

Son John B. McVicker Jr. (1893- ? ) was born in Feb. 1893 in Pennsylvania. He worked in 1910 as a coal miner in Summerhill Township, Cambria County, PA. By 1945, he made his residence in Portage, Cambria County.

Son Clarence Clayton McVicker (1894-1971) was born in June 1894 in Pennsylvania. He was employed as a coal miner in Summerhill Township, Cambria County, PA in 1910. In 1920, single at the age of 25, he earned a living as a motorman in the mines of Portage, Cambria County. He was joined in wedlock with Florence Dunmire (1908- ? ). They resided in Portage, Cambria County and were the parents of Ethel McVicker, Clayton McVicker and Thomas McVicker. Clarence passed away in Portage on Dec. 13, 1971.

  • Granddaughter Ethel McVicker (1927- ? ) was born in about 1927.
  • Grandson Clayton McVicker (1929- ? ) was born in about 1929.
  • Grandson Thomas McVicker (1936- ? ) was born in about 1936 in Portage, Cambria County, PA.

Daughter Liddy McVicker (1895- ? ) was born in 1895.

Son Franklin Dennis "Frank" McVicker (1895-1966) was born on Nov. 27, 1895 in Pennsylvania. He served with the U.S. Army during World War I. After the war's end, he put down roots in Johnstown, Cambria County and was there in 1945. He was joined in wedlock with Mary Agnes Wolford (1897-1983). They dwelled at 405 Peterson Drive in Johnstown, and he earned a living as an electrician. Sadly, he contracted cancer of his right lung, liver, spleen and left kidney. As his illness worsened, he was admitted to the Veterans Administration Hospital in Blair County. The spirit of death whisked him away at the age of 70 on April 2, 1966. The body was shipped to Portage for interment in Mount Union Cemetery. Mary Agnes lived for another 16-plus years. She passed away in Johnstown on Jan. 25, 1983.


Coal tipple of Sonman Mine, where Harry McVicker was killed in 1940

Son Harry Ellsworth McVicker (1899-1940) was born on July 11, 1899, likely in Shade Township, Somerset County, PA, a twin with his sister Laura. He served in the U.S. Army during World War I as a member of the 152nd D.B, Company H. Circa 1920, when Harry was age 20, he made a living as a mule driver in the coal mines of Portage, Cambria County. In September 1920, he slipped away to Cumberland, MD to marry Janet Cecilia Brookbank (1903-1966), daughter of Albert Francis and Margaret (Beech) Brookbank of Portage. The couple made a home at 806 Main Street in Portage. They are known to have borne at least one daughter, Ruth Cecilia Gurchik. The family grieved in February 1937 when Janet's mother, who had been badly injured in an automobile accident while on vacation in California, died in Indio, CA. In 1940, Harry was employed as a coal loader at the Portage Township mine of the Sonman Shaft Coal Company, a subsidiary of Koppers Coal Company. At the tie, the Sonman Mine was considered "one of the largest in Cambria County" with a rich field of bituminous coal and 1,200 employees, said the Harrisburg Evening News. Tragedy took his life at work on the fateful day of July 15, 1940, when Harry was 41 years of age. He was one of 90 men trapped in an explosion of methane gas in the mine. Unable to escape, he and 62 others either suffocated or were incinerated. His distant cousin by marriage, Melvin C. Owen, of the family of Charles L. and Rebecca (Rowan) Robbins, also lost his life in the accident. Reported the Evening News, "Wives, children and relatives of the entombed miners, standing at the shaft entrances and soaked to the skin by a heavy rain, silently watched the bodies being removed." Harry's name was published in the casualty list in newspapers across the state. His remains were recovered and lowered into eternal repose in Mount Union Cemetery in Summerhill, Cambria County. Janet outlived her husband by more than a quarter of a century. She migrated to Ohio and settled in or near Cuyahoga Falls, Summit County. Death swept her away at the age of 63 on March 6, 1966. Her body was transported back to Cambria County for burial in St. Bartholomew Cemetery in Wilmore.

  • Granddaughter Ruth Cecilia McVicker (1921-1994) was born in 1921. She married (?) Gurchik ( ? - ? ).

Daughter Laura B. McVicker (1899- ? ) was born in July 1899, likely in Shade Township, Somerset County, PA, a twin with her brother Harry. When she was 21 years of age, in about 1920, she was united in holy matrimony with (?) Sanders ( ? - ? ). The couple's three known children were Regis Sanders, Howard Sanders and Sarah E. Sanders. Laura and her offspring as shown in the 1930 federal census as living with her mother in Portage, Cambria County, PA. By 1940, she had moved to Cresson, PA. She wedded a second time to (?) Wise ( ? - ? ).

  • Grandson Regis Sanders (1922- ? ) was born in about 1922.
  • Grandson Howard Sanders (1924- ? ) was born in about 1924.
  • Granddaughter Sarah E. Sanders (1925- ? ) was born in about 1925.

Son Walter McVicker (1901- ? ) was born on Aug. 30, 1901 in Maryland. When he was 18 years of age, in 1920, he made his wages as a mule driver in the coal mines of Portage, Cambria County. By 1945, he had relocated to Portage, Cambria County. He entered into the union of marriage with Ethel ( ? - ? ). They made a residence in Portage at 915 Gillespie Avenue. He worked for years as a coal miner. Burdened with silicosis as well as coronary artery problems, at the age of 65, he died in Johnstown's Conemaugh Valley Memorial Hospital on April 29, 1967. Burial was in Forest Lawn Cemetery in Johnstown.


~ Daughter Margaret Catherine "Maggie" (Beal) Porter ~

Daughter Margaret Catherine "Maggie" Beal (1861-1948) was born in April 1861 in Pennsylvania.

In about 1878, at the age of 17, she entered into marriage with Charles W. Porter (Jan. 1, 1853-1943), a native of Eckhart, a coal mining town near Cumberland, MD.

For decades, the Porters dwelled on Quality Hill in Eckhart Mines. The couple's 10 offspring were James Porter, Fannie Porter, Thomas Porter, Edward G. "Mike" Porter, Henry "Harry" Porter, Jesse "Skip" Porter, Lillian "Lillie" Porter, A. Dewey Porter, Bertha Long and one who died young prior to 1900.

Charles earned a living as a longtime engineer with the Cumberland and Pennsylvania Railroad. He held a membership in the Eckhart Methodist Church.

By 1920, when he reached his 67th birthday, Charles was retired. The 1920 census shows the family in Eckhart Mines, with just four of their adult children still under their roof.

At the death of Margaret's brother Jackson Beal in 1941, she was named in his Connellsville (PA) Daily Courier obituary.

Charles celebrated his 90th birthday on New Year's Day 1943, and was considered the "oldest resident of Eckhart," reported the Cumberland Evening Times.

But soon into the new year, he became seriously ill and died a week later on Jan. 25, 1943. Said the Evening Times, he "had been active until he was stricken.... [He] was mentally and physically active until his fatal illness, and last year planted his own garden and attended his flowers." His survivors were counted as 12 grandchildren and seven great-grandchildren.

Margaret survived her husband by another eight-plus years. The angel of death carried her away at home at the age of 87 on May 6, 1948.

Son James Porter (1879- ? ) was born in Nov. 1879. A bachelor at the age of 20, in 1900, he dwelled at home in Eckhart and labored as a railroad fireman.

Daughter Fannie Porter (1882- ? ) was born in Sept. 1882. She never married. She lived with her parents in the early 1940s and in Frostburg in 1957.

Son Thomas E. Porter (1884- ? ) was born in July 1884. He lived as an adult in Eckhart Mines, MD, along Parkersburg Road. He was married to Maud L. (1891- ? ). They were the parents of Doris Porter, Ruth Porter, William Porter and Oliver Bruce Porter. When the federal census enumeration was made in 1920, the family was in Eckhart Mines, and Thomas earned his wages there as a coal miner. Thomas was admitted to Miner's Hospital in Frostburg and passed away there at the age of 66 on April 8, 1951. Rev. Louis Emerick and Rev. Wilbur Grose jointly officiated, with the funeral held in the Porter home. Pallbearers were William Barry, John Byrnes, Griffith Connors, David Kyle, Nathan Porter and Gilbert Race. Honorary pallbearers were Joseph Goodrich, Walter H. Reel and Claude Ward. Said the Cumberland Evening Times, "Burial will be in Eckhart Cemetery after a son, Oliver Bruce Porter, who is serving in the Navy, arrives home."

  • Granddaughter Doris Porter (1916- ? ) was born in about 1916. In 1935, she moved to Washington, DC to accept a new job.
  • Granddaughter Ruth Porter (1917- ? ) was born in about 1917.
  • Grandson William Porter (1919- ? ) was born in about 1919.
  • Grandson Oliver Bruce Porter (1922- ? ) was born in about 1922. He served in the U.S. Navy during World War II and the Korean War. Circa 1943, he trained at Bainbridge Training Station in Maryland. He is known to have been away in service when his father died in 1951.

Son Edward G. "Mike" Porter (1887-1957) was born in Feb. 1887 in Eckhart, Allegany County, MD. He spent most if not all of his life in Eckhart, but appears to have been a lifelong bachelor. Circa 1910-1920, at age 23, he lived with his parents and earned income as a coal drawer and laborer in the Eckhart Mines. He joined the U.S. Army during World War I, and later belonged to the Farrady Post of the American Legion. For many years, he was a conductor with the Cumberland and Pennsylvania Railroad, and held a membership in the Brotherhood of Railroad Trainmen union. He also was a member of the Eckhart Methodist Church. When his health declined, at the age of 70, he was treated in Miners Hospital in Frostburg. He passed away there on May 17, 1957. An obituary appeared in the Cumberland Evening Times, which said he was survived by three brothers and two sisters.

Son Henry F. "Harry" Porter (1890- ? ) was born in Feb. 1890. In 1910, at age 20, he worked as a railroad fireman. He migrated to Ohio and dwelled in Massillon, Stark County, OH in 1948. He moved to Canton, Stark County, OH and is known to have lived there in 1963.

Son Jesse H. "Skip" Porter (1892-1963) was born in April 1892 in Eckhart, Allegany County. As a teen, in 1910, he labored as a driver in the local coal mines, and in 1920 earned wages as a coal mine laborer at Eckhart Mines. He was united in matrimonial union with Thelma Kroll ( ? - ? ). The couple did not reproduce. They first put down roots in Lonaconing, Allegany County, on the outskirts of Cumberland, and were there in 1948. By 1957, they relocated to Canton, Stark County, OH. Then by 1963, they were back in Eckhart. Jesse died in Cumberland's Memorial Hospital on Jan. 13, 1963. His obituary was printed in the Cumberland News. Rev. William Anderson, of the Eckhart Methodist Church, presided over the funeral service. The remains were lowered into the sacred soil of Eckhart Cemetery.

Daughter Lillian "Lillie" Porter (1894- ? ) was born in May 1894.

Daughter Bertha Porter (1894- ? ) was born in Aug. 1896. She married Colonne Long (1897-1952), a native of Vale Summit, MD and the son of C.L. and Bertha Long. They settled in Frostburg, with an address of 125 East Main Street, and appear not to have reproduced. The Longs are known in July 1937 to have spent a vacation camping near Mt. Pleasant [MD/VA?] on the west branch of the Rappahannock River. In 1939, they spent a summer holiday in Atlantic City and Philadelphia. Colonne's name was in the news in April 1946 when the pavement near the old McCulloh hotel, and the Long building where they lived, began to sink due to subsidence from an old, collapsing water well. Colonne suffered a devastating stroke in late January 1952 and was admitted to Miner's Hospital in Frostburg. A day later, he was dead at the age of 54. An obituary in the Cumberland News said that he "had resided here the greater part of his life and was an active member of the Frostburg Fire Department."

Son A. Dewey Porter (1898-1965) was born in Oct. 1898 in Eckhart, Allegany County. He may have been named for Admiral George Dewey, victorious U.S. Navy officer during the Spanish-American War at the Battle of Manila Bay. Circa 1920, when he was 21 years of age, he worked as a coal mine laborer at Eckhart Mines. He established a home in nearby Frostburg, MD, and lived at 108 Center Street. He wedded Marie (Kamauf) Gray. She brought a son to the union, Robert Gray. Dewey and Marie themselves did not reproduce. He was employed as a fireman at Frostburg State College. He was a member of First English Baptist Church of Frostburg. On the dark day of Feb. 3, 1965, while walking to work, the 66-year-old Dewey was struck and badly injured by a passing automobile on the steep College Avenue at the intersection of Wood Street. He was rushed to Miners Hospital by the driver who struck him and succumbed to his injuries there, having suffered "a crushed chest, numerous fractures and internal injuries," reported the Cumberland Evening Times.


~ Son Frank Beals ~

Son Frank Beals (1866-1932) -- originally spelled "Beal" -- was born on March 20, 1866 in Pennsylvania, most likely in Somerset County, although he thought his birthplace was in Maryland. His birth year also has been given as 1853, a discrepancy not quite understood, except that he may have fibbed as his wife was 11 years older than he.

In about 1885, the 19-year-old Frank entered into marriage with 30-year-old Martha (Addis) Watson (May 6, 1855-1922), daughter of John and Nancy (Stewart) Addis of Broad Ford, Fayette County. In an interesting twist, his sister Isabelle married her brother John "William" Addis.

Martha appears to have been married previously to John Watson ( ? - ? ) and to have brought eight children to the second union -- Cora V. Jones, John Watson, George Watson, Mrs. Robert Frye, Laura Smolley, Nora Watson and Violet Watson.

Together, they produced a family of three more offspring of their own -- John Beals, Anna Ridenour and Cora Jones.

Frank first earned a living as a farmer in Meyersdale. After eight years of farming, he secured work in coal mines in and around Broad Ford, Morgan Station and Owensdale, Upper Tyrone Township, Fayette County, PA.

Frank and Martha were badly burned in an accident at home during the Christmas season in 1902. Martha's mother Nancy was "standing in front of an open grate fire when her clothing caught fire from the flames," reported the Connellsville Weekly Courier. "She became unconscious soon after the flames were put out and is in a very low condition. Mr. and Mrs. Beals were badly burned about the hands and arms in fighting the fire."

They remained in the Owensdale community for many years.

Sadly, Martha was felled by a stroke and appears to have lingered until death took her away, at the age of 67, on July 29, 1922. Her obituary in the Connellsville Daily Courier noted that she "had been a life long resident of Owensdale and was well known. She was a devout member of the Hickory Square Methodist Episcopal Church."

Frank survived for another decade. Suffering from high blood pressure, he suffered a stroke of paralysis and was dead three days later, on Feb. 6, 1932. The remains were buried next to his wife's in Cochrane Cemetery in Dawson, Fayette County. Mrs. Albert Jones, of 301 East Fairview Avenue in Connellsville, signed the Pennsylvania certificate of death.

Stepdaughter Cora V. Watson (1876-1962) was born on March 22, 1875 in Broad Ford near Connellsville. She married Albert S. Jones ( ? - ? ). Two sons born into this family were Walter Gorman Jones and Harry Jones. The couple is known to have attended the eighth annual Addis reunion in August 1937, held at Shady Grove Park, with Cora elected treasurer. They held a membership in the Greenwood Methodist Church, a congregation co-founded in the early 1920s by Cora's distant cousin, Rev. David Ewing Minerd, the famed "Blacksmith Preacher" of Fayette County. Circa August 1971, the Joneses took their son Harry and grandson Walter on a driving trip west, making stops in Salt Lake City and Colorado, and logging 5,138 miles. Their address in 1932-1940 was 301 East Fairview Avenue in Connellsville. In 1970, at the age of 85, she attended the 31st homecoming of the Old Hickory Square Methodist Church at Broad Ford and was recognized as the oldest woman present. Cora suffered a heart attack and died at the age of 86 in Connellsville State Hospital on March 18, 1962. Son Walter G. Jones of 323 West Crawford Avenue in Connellsville signed the death certificate. Rev. Blossom Lenhart led the funeral, with burial in Cochran Cemetery in Dawson, Fayette County.

  • Step-grandson Walter Gorman Jones Sr. (1902-1960) was born on Aug. 1, 1902 in Fayette County. He married Viola C. Martin (Sept. 1, 1904-1977), daughter of Thomas and Lillian (McCarty) Martin of Connellsville. The family lived in McKeesport, PA at one time and for decades in Connellsville at 323 West Crawford Avenue. They were the parents of Walter Gorman Jones Jr., Frank E. Jones, Harold L. Jones and Harry T. Jones. Walter was employed in sales for the Manning and Speelman Home Improvement Company. They were rocked in grief when their son Walter contacted pulmonary tuberculosis in June 1939 and, after suffering for more than a year, died at the age of 18 on Oct. 6, 1940. The teen's remains were interred in Hill Grove Cemetery in Connellsville. Viola earned income over the years through her work in the kitchen of Connellsville State General Hospital. The family belonged to the Otterbein United Methodist Church. The family home in 1970 was 217 South Carnegie Avenue. Sadly, Walter Sr. was admitted on May 10, 1970 to Connellsville State General Hospital and died 11 days later on May 21, 1970. His obituary was printed in the Connellsville Daily Courier. As Viola's health declined, she was admitted to Washington Hospital Center in the District of Columbia. Sadly, she succumbed there to the angel of death at the age of 73 on Oct. 1, 1977.
  • Step-grandson Harry F. Jones Sr. (1906-1964) was born on Oct. 20, 1906. He wedded Naomi G. Gray ( ? - ? ). Children born to this marriage were Judith Culshaw, Cora Jones, Kathryn Jones and Harry F. Jones Jr. The family dwelled in Pittsburgh's Beechview neighborhood at the address of 1697 Suburban Avenue. He made a living as a comptroller. Suffering from heart disease, he was felled by an acute heart attack at the age of 57 and was swept away in death at Braddock General Hospital on Aug. 29, 1964. A death notice was published in the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. His remains lie in eternal sleep in Jefferson Memorial Park in Pittsburgh's Jefferson Borough.

Stepson John Watson established his residence in Brownsville, Fayette County.

Stepson George Watson lived in Connellsville.

Stepdaughter (?) Watson married Robert Frye. They made a home in Dunbar, Fayette County.

Stepdaughter Laura Watson wedded (?) Smolley. The couple dwelled in Dunbar, Fayette County.

Stepdaughter Nora Watson resided in Dunbar, Fayette County.

Stepdaughter Violet Watson was in Dunbar, Fayette County circa 1962.

Daughter Nancy Beals (1886- ? ) was born in about 1886.

Son John Franklin Beals (1888-1969) was born in 1888. A bachelor at the age of 21, in 1910, he lived at home in Upper Tyrone Township and worked as a coal miner. He dwelled in Connellsville, PA in 1932-1962.

Daughter Anna Beals (1894-1945) was born on Aug. 2, 1894 in Broad Ford, Fayette County. She wedded Milton Lohr Ridenour (May 3, 1882-1958), son of John and Anna Ridenour. The children were born in this family -- Lloyd Ridenour, Earl Ridenour and Edna Ridenour. They lived circa 1922 in Owensdale and in 1932 in Broad Ford, a coal mining and coke oven community near Connellsville. Milton is known to have labored as a coal miner. They were members of the Hickory Square Methodist Church at Broad Ford. Then in about 1943, the couple appears to have separated or divorced, with Anna moving into the city of Connellsville and Milton relocating to Philippi, Barbour County, WV. Anna's address in the 1940s was 218 Hill Street. Without warning, at the age of 51, she suffered a cerebral hemorrhage and died at home on Oct. 10, 1945. Her remains were placed into eternal repose in Cochran Cemetery in Dawson, and an obituary appeared in the Connellsville Daily Courier. The widowed Milton married again to Nellie Bennett Vasto ( ? - ? ) and produced another son, Milton Ridenour Jr., born in 1946

  • Grandson Lloyd Ridenour dwelled at 293 East Fairview Street in 1945 in Connellsville and remained in the city as of 1958.
  • Grandson Earl William Ridenour made his residence on Prospect Street in Connellsville. On July 6, 1936, he wedded Sara Catherine Welling ( ? - ? ), daughter of James Welling of South Connellsville. The nuptials were presided over by Rev. T.W. Colhouer, at his home in Uniontown. In announcing the marriage, the Connellsville Daily Courier said that the bride "wore a white linen ensemble with pale blue accessories, and a corsage of white sweet peas intermingled with fern and tied with white satin ribbon." At the time of marriage, Sara earned a living at Star Restaurant. Corca 1958, Earl was in Connellsville.
  • Granddaughter Edna Ridenour was single and at home in 1945. After her mother's death, she maintained a residence in Connellsville.


~ Daughter Anna Evelyn "Annie" (Beal) Bruce ~

Daughter Anna Evelyn "Annie" Beal (1867-1943) was born on April 22, 1867 in Maryland.

On June 19, 1882, in a ceremony held in Piedmont, MD/WV, she married Robert Oliver Bruce (Feb. 23, 1857-1934), a native of Piedmont, WV and the son of John and Rachel (Duff) Bruce.

The couple initially lived in West Virginia, where their first two children were born in 1884-1887. For reasons not yet known, they migrated to Texas where two more of their offspring were born in Houston in 1887-1888.

They returned north and were in Maryland in 1899 and Scottdale, Westmoreland County, PA in 1900, when the federal census was taken. In about 1904, the family relocated into Connellsville, Fayette County, PA and remained for good.


View from Connellsville's West Side, home of Robert and Anna Bruce


Seven children borne by this couple were Pearl Clifford Guie, Oliver "Frank" Bruce, Lillian B. Camp, Margaret M. Goucher, Helen Bruce and Alberta Fern Dull plus one who was deceased by 1910.

Robert earned a living for three decades as a blacksmith with the Connellsville Manufacturing, Mine and Supply Company. Most of their years in Connellsville were lived in the Greenwood section of the city's West Side. In 1910, cousin Frank Dahl of Maryland is known to have boarded in their home.

The family belonged to Trinity Lutheran Church, and Robert was active with its Men's Bible Class. Their address in the 1920s was at 122 South Cottage Avenue and in the 1930s was at 113 Cottage Avenue.

The Bruces celebrated their golden wedding anniversary in 1932 with a large family gathering at Shady Rest, along Springfield Pike, the summer home of the parents of their son-in-law Dr. John "Harold" Dull. Reported the Connellsville Daily Courier:

The affair... was a most pleasant occasion. A marked feature of the day was a prettily appointed 1 o'clock dinner, prepared and served by Mrs. [Pearl] Guie, Mrs. [Lillian] Camp and Mrs. [Alberta] Dull. A color motif of gold and white predominated. The guests were seated at one large table, which was made attractive with a bowl of coreopsis as a centerpiece. The place cards had a gold background and were ornamented with spring flowers. Grace was said by Rev. Dr. W.H. Hetrick, pastor of Trinity Lutheran Church.... The Joy Dispensers Orchestra, of which Edwin Guie, grandson of Mr. and Mrs. Bruce is a member, played during the dinner.... Edwin Guie took pictures, including a moving film, of the group.


Robert and Anna Bruce's place of rest, Connellsville's Hill Grove Cemetery


Sadly, burdened with diabetes and hardening of the arteries, Robert succumbed to death at the age of 77 on Nov. 22, 1934. He was found dead in bed. Noted the Daily Courier, "Although Mr. Bruce had been ailing, he was not bedfast and his death was unexpected as he had been about as usual and not complained on retiring Wednesday night." Anna Evelyn's final years as a widow were spent in her daughter Dull's home on 512 Wells Road in Connellsville. She was diagnosed with fluid buildup in the lungs and hardening of the arteries. She died at the age of 76 on April 7, 1943. Her pastor, Rev. Dr. William H. Hetrick officiated the funeral held at Trinity church. Her remains were lowered into repose in the sacred soil of Hill Grove Cemetery in Connellsville. An obituary in the Daily Courier said she was survived by a dozen grandchildren and two great-grandchildren.


Book naming Edwin Sr.

Daughter Pearl Clifford Bruce (1891-1964) was born on March 30, 1891 in Piedmont, WV. She grew up in Connellsville and as a young woman earned a living as a bookkeeper. On June 25, 1913, at the age of 27, she wedded 30-year-old Dr. Edwin Bruce Guie Sr. (Feb. 15, 1883-1942), a native of Catawissa, Columbia County, PA and the son of James/William H. and Amanda (McFarland) Guie. Their wedding ceremony was held in Connellsville, by the hand of Ellis B. Burgess. The pair made a home together for 32 years in Dunbar, Fayette County. Their sons were Dr. Edwin Bruce Guie and Dr. Robert William Guie plus an unnamed stillborn son in 1914. Edwin was educated at the West Chester State Normal School and in 1908 received his medical degree from Hahnemann Medical College of Philadelphia. He interned for six months each at Reading Homeopathic Hospital and Hahnemann Hospital and then for a year at Philadelphia's Cumberland Street Hospital. He relocated in January 1910 to Dunbar, where he practiced medicine for more than three decades, from 1910 to 1942. Pearl belonged to the Dunbar Presbyterian Church and was active with its Ladies Aid Society. Edwin held a membership in Trinity Lutheran Church of Connellsville and local Kiwanis Club and was an honorary member of the Dunbar Volunteer Fire Department. He was elected to the school board of the Dunbar Schools and served for 22 years, including the seat as president from 1925 to 1938. He was defeated for re-election in 1941. During many of those years, his distant cousin Ewing David Minerd was treasurer of the school board.

Stricken with cancer of the rectum, Edwin passed away at home at the age of 59 on Oct. 22, 1942. An obituary in the Connellsville Daily Courier referred to him as "a prominent physician " who was "keenly interested in and always identified with the community life of Dunbar..." His funeral service was co-officiated by four different clergymen -- the couple's pastors Rev. Dr. William H. Hetrick of Trinity church and Rev. J.S. Jewell of the Presbyterian Church, in addition to Rev. William S. Hamilton of Franklin Memorial Methodist Church and Rev. O.G. Cook of Wesley Methodist Church. Interment of the remains was in Green Ridge Memorial Park. An editorial in the Daily Courier said that he:

...was not one to shirk a task given him. He took pride in being faithful in his associations. Membership in the Kiwanis Club of Connellsville is an example. He attended its weekly meetings long after he knew that death was closing in on him. The story of his career reveals that the life of his home community held a warm place in his heart. Longer than anything outside his medical practice, Dr. Guie was connected with the educational program of the town -- 22 years as a member of the board of school directors, much of the time as its president, which speaks volumes for the confidence his fellow members placed in his ability. For Dr. Guie himself, death came as a relief from intense suffering -- from a malady he knew medical science knows little about combatting. For the town of his adoption, his passing is a distinct loss.


As a widow, Pearl resided at 43 Railroad Street. In March 1956, she is known to have attended a Ladies Aid meeting at the home of a distant cousin Beth and Evelyn Bird (Kelley) Robbins on Railroad Street, with their married daughter Evelyn "Honey Girl" (Robbins) Bunting providing piano music, of the family of Stephen and Emma Jane (Fuller) Robbins. The angel of death swept her into eternity on April 26, 1964, with burial at Green Ridge. Inscrobed on her flat bronze grave marker is the epitaph reading: "The dear one missing from our home. In memory, we e'er recall, with lonely, aching empty hearts, and tears that never fail to fall." In 1983, the book Dunbar: The Furnace Town named Edwin on a number of pages.


  • Grandson Dr. Edwin Bruce Guie (1916-1958) was born on March 13, 1916 in Dunbar, Fayette County. He spent many childhood summers at Camp Shawnee near Milford, Pike County, PA. As a teen, he is known to have attended his grandparents' 50th wedding anniversary and helped provide musical entertainment as a member of The Joy Dispensers Orchestra. He also shot movies during the day's events. Upon graduation in 1931 from Connellsville High School, he entered Penn State College but quickly transferred. He went on to earn a bachelor's degree from Mount Union College in Alliance, OH followed by study at the Homeopathic Hospital in Philadelphia and a medical degree in dentistry from the University of Pittsburgh in Feb. 1943. On April 5, 1938, at the age of 22, he eloped to West Virginia to marry 22-year-old Melda May Shartzer (1916- ? ), daughter of James V. Shartzer of 1122 Sycamore Street in Connellsville. Their wedding was held in Hollidays Cove, Hancock County, WV and solemnized by the hand of Lutheran pastor Rev. Harold T. Graham. Melda had studied at Grove City College and, at the time of marriage, earned a living as a sales lady in Troutman's Store. During World War II, he spent 33 months with the U.S. Army, of which 25 months were spent in the European Theatre. He received five battle stars for his service in Belgium, England, France, Germany and Wales. After the war's end, he took up a dentistry practice in Ephrata, PA. The family returned in Connellsville by 1957 and lived at the address of 1120 Vine Street. Together, the couple produced one known daughter, Barbara Dee Guie. On the fateful New Year's Eve 1958, when Edwin was age 42, he suffered a massive heart attack and died instantly. Interment of the remains was in Green Ridge Memorial Park in Bullskin Township, the final resting place for generations of the Guies' extended Minerd-Minard-Miner-Minor cousins.
  • Grandson Dr. Robert William Guie (1923-1970) was born on Feb. 23, 1923 in Dunbar, Fayette County. He first attended Swarthmore College in Philadelphia circa 1939. He received a bachelor's degree from the University of Pittsburgh and then graduated from Pitt's School of Medicine. Then during World War II, he joined the U.S. Army Reserves and served for two years in Framingham and Waltham, MA. Then with the rank of lieutenant, in Nov. 1946, he was posted to the Army Medical Department Schools, Brooke Army Medical Center at Fort Sam Houston in Texas. A year later, in 1947, he was promoted to captain and held the position of medical officer at Valley Forge General Hospital in Phoenixville, PA. On Oct. 1, 1957, in what the Connellsville Daily Courier called "among the prominent fall weddings," he was joined in matrimony with Mary Cecelia "Cece" Hough ( ? - ? ), daughter of Harry H. Hough of 1017 Isabella Road. Their nuptials were held in Trinity Lutheran Church, presided over by Rev. H. Wahl Pfeifer. The Courier said that the bride "wore a cocktail-length gown of champagne chiffon and taffeta. The slim-fitting bodice featured a jewel neckline and three-quarter-length dolman-type sleeves. The upper bodice was of chiffon with taffeta midriff. The neckline and sleeves were edged with matching sating binding." The couple had met as students at Connellsville High School, with Robert graduating in 1938. Mary Cecelia had worked prior to marriage as a switchboard operator for Anchor Hocking Glass Corporation in South Connellsville. Robert had spent his internship at Pittsburgh's Shadyside Hospital and then went into private practice, with office facilities in both Dunbar and Connellsville. The couple settled on Railroad Street in Dunbar. They were the parents of Margel Guie, Robert Guie, Edward Guie, James Guie and Amanda Guie. Robert held memberships in the American Medical Association, Fayette County Medical Society, Masons lodge, Syria Temple and Elks Club. Tragedy fell upon the family on July 29, 1970, when Robert was killed in what the Daily Courier called "a fiery head-on collision" along Route 711/Springfield Pike, about 2.2 miles east of Connellsville. "According to state police at Uniontown sub station, the Guie auto was traveling down the hill at a high rate of speed, when his 1969 sedan crossed the center of the roadway, on a curve and collided headon with the Newell vehicle which was going towards Normalville. Both cars burst into flames upon impact.... Dr. Guie died of a fractured skull, broken neck, crushed chest and internal injuries." As is his father, Robert is named in the 1983 book Dunbar: The Furnace Town.



Dunbar, PA, where the Guie family resided for decades among branches of their distant Minerd cousins. Below: the Dunbar War Memorial inscribed with the names of Edwin and Robert Guie.


Son Oliver "Frank" Bruce (1886-1950) was born in Feb. 1886 in West Virginia. He spent his childhood and adolescence in Connellsville, Fayette County, PA. He was of medium height and slender build, and had brown hair and brown eyes. During the World War I years, he lived in Johnstown, Cambria County, PA and earned a living as a cook at the Lincoln Hotel on Washington Street. At the age of 28, in about 1915, he married 18-year-old Thelma "Rose" Stormer (1895-1957) of Conemaugh, Cambria County. They first dwelled at 523 Locust Street in Johnstown. The couple made the monumental decision to relocate to California, and established a new home in San Bernardino, San Berndardino County. There, Frank found work circa 1930 as a hotel cook. By 1940, he worked as a dishwasher at the Tip Top Cafe. They were the parents of one son, Robert Oliver Bruce, born about a dozen years into the marriage. Frank died in San Bernardino on July 27, 1950. Thelma survived him by seven years. Death swept her away on May 5, 1957. Interment was in Mountain View Cemetery in San Bernardino.

  • Grandson Robert Oliver Bruce (1929-2013) was born on Feb. 4, 1929 in San Bernardino, CA. His home during the World War II years was at 132 East Cluster Street in San Bernardino, and he listed his aunt Pearl Guie of Dunbar, PA as someone who would always know his address. He stood 5 feet, 11 inches tall and had brown hair and brown eyes. He had a tattoo on his left forearm and scars on his chin and left wrist. He passed away on Sept. 11, 2012.

Daughter Lillian B. Bruce (1888-1960) was born in Nov. 1888 in Texas. She grew to womanhood in Connellsville. On June 22, 1911, when she would have been 22 years of age, she married 22-year-old clerk Everett C. Camp (April 18, 1887-1968), son of Charles and Elizabeth (Kessler) Camp of Selbysport, MD. News of their marriage license was printed in the Uniontown Morning Herald. Rev. J.K. Wismer officiated their nuptials. Five known offspring born to this union were Ruth Eleanor Butler, Emerson Camp, Everett Eugene Camp, Robert Wayne Camp Sr. and Yvonne Smith. Sadness cascaded over the family at the death of their toddler son Everett from bronchial pneumonia on March 8, 1920. The couple were in Connellsville in the 1918-1940 timeframe, with Everett earning a living as a salesman. Their address circa 1918-1919 was 153 South Eighth Street in the Greenwood section. Then in 1942, during World War II, they relocated to Portsmouth, VA, where he was employed by Potter-McCune Grocery Company, Colatch Candy Company and Hajoca Corporation of Norfolk. The couple belonged to the Portsmouth Lutheran Church. Everett retired in 1959 at the age of about 72. After what the Connellsville Daily Courier called "a lingering illness," she died in Portsmouth on Sept. 3, 1960. The remains were shipped to Connellsville for funeral services, led by Rev. H. Wahl Pfeifer, and burial in Hill Grove Cemetery. Everett lived for another eight years as a widower. The spectre of death carried him away on June 23, 1968. His obituary also appeared in the Daily Courier.

  • Great-granddaughter Ruth Eleanor Camp ( ? - ? ) - On Sept. 29, 1939, she married David J. Butler ( ? - ? ). A shower was held in her honor in Connellsville by her aunt Alberta Dull. The Butlers' residence circa 1945 was in Portmsouth, VA and in 1960-1968 was in Girard, OH.
  • Grandson Emerson Camp (1916- ? ) was born in about 1916. He dwelled in Portsmouth, VA in 1968.
  • Grandson Robert Wayne Camp Sr. (1921-2009) was born on May 5, 1921 in Connellsville. He relocated with his family to Portsmouth, VA. During World War II, he served in the U.S. Army. He entered into marriage with Mildred ( ? - ? ). Their union endured for an extraordinary 62 years. They put down roots in Chesapeake, VA and together bore two children -- Robert Wayne Camp Jr. and Diane Gossman. Robert held a membership in the Masons lodge of Churchland and was a charter member of Holy Communion Church and later belonged to the Faith Lutheran Church. He was a passionate fan of the Washington Redskins football team. Sadly, Robert passed away at the age of 88 on Oct. 1, 2009. Funeral services were held at the family's Faith church, led by Pastor Scott Benson, and interment of the remains in Meadowbrook Memorial Gardens.
  • Granddaughter Yvonne Camp (1925- ? ) was born in about 1915. She was joined in wedlock with Sydney Smith ( ? - ? ). They made a home in Portsmouth, VA.


Margaret Goucher's burial site

Daughter Margaret M. Bruce (1894-1964) was born on Feb. 18, 1894 in Houston, TX. She spent her growing-up years in Connellsville. Margaret was united in wedlock with 28-year-old James D. Goucher (1888- ? ). The couple produced a family of three children -- Robert Goucher, Howard Leslie Goucher Sr. and Jean Goucher. The family migrated to Canton, Stark County, OH and were there in 1918-1935, with James working as an electrician, performing house wiring. Margaret's mother is known to have traveled to Canton for a visit in July 1918. By 1935, presumably separated, she had returned to Connellsville and made a residence on West Apple Street. She supported herself in 1940 as a seamstress for a sewing project, and later as a receptionist. Margaret is known to have vacationed with her brother Dr. J. Harold Dull and family in Ocean City, NJ in August 1947. Later, Margaret made a home at 113 South Cottage Avenue. Suffering from hardening of the arteries, she was felled by a heart attack and passed away at home at the age of 70 on July 8, 1964. Burial was in Green Ridge Memorial Park.

  • Grandson James Robert Goucher (1919- ? ) was born in about 1919 in Ohio. On Jan. 19, 1938, he is believed to have eloped to Cumberland, MD to marry Mary Kathryn Shallenberger ( ? - ? ), daughter of Allen Shallenberger of Vanderbilt. At the time of marriage, Mary Kathryn -- a 1937 graduate of Dunbar Township High School -- had worked for the G.C. Murphy Company store in Connellsville. They bore at least one son, Robert L. Goucher. Tragically, their son died at the age of eight months in Jan. 1939, while en route to Connellsville State Hospital. The infant was laid to rest in Dickerson Run Union Cemetery, with Rev. J.M. Somers officiating the funeral. The couple relocated to Baltimore, MD.
  • Granddaughter Jean D. Goucher (1921- ? ) was born in about 1921 in Ohio. At the age of 18, in 1939, she accidentally swallowed a safety pin and was treated at Connellsville State Hospital.
  • Grandson Howard Leslie Goucher Sr. (1922- ? ) was born in about 1922 in Ohio. He was a 1941 graduate of Connellsville High School. He joined the U.S. Armed Forces and was assigned to the Wildcat Division, with a posting at Camp Rucker, AR. On April 22, 1946, he married Evangeline Bryner, daughter of Renald F. Bryner of Gibson Terrace in South Connellsville. Their wedding was held in the Church of God at Woodlawn AVenue and Aetna Street, led by Rev. Clem B. Barcus. In announcing the marriage, the Connellsville Daily Courier reported that the "bride was beautiful in a floor length gown of white lace, over satin. Her bridal veil of rose pointe lace was draped from a coronet of seed pearls. She carried an all-white bridal bouquet of carnations and snapdragons, tied with a large bow of white satin ribbon."The couple is believed to have borne a son, Howard "Leslie" Goucher Jr. They separated in 1947. Evangeline obtained a divorce in January 1950, having alleged that Howard had "said he was sorry he married her, accused her of infidelity, called her names, nagged her and threatened her life [and] once kicked her out of bed to answer the telephone," said the Connellsville Daily Courier. She also complained that that they had first lived "in his mother's attic." Evangeline went on to marry again to Ellis Eugene Younkin (1927-1978), son of Grant William and Rosa Mae (Crawford) Younkin Sr. of the family of John "Wesley" and Ada Charlotte (King) Younkin. The Younkins made a home in South Connellsville and bore two children of their own, Barry Younkin and Susan Wolfinger. Their marriage ended in about 1958, when he sued for divorce, citing "desertion." Evangeline then relocated to Coldwater, MI where she dwelled in 1969-1975. Howard's address in 1964 was 211 Ogden Street, Connellsville. Their son Howard "Leslie" Goucher Jr. wedded Eurydice Myers and Cathy Spaugy, and was the father of Kenneth Clay Goucher and Howard Leslie Goucher III..

Daughter Helen Bruce (1899- ? ) was born in Nov. 1899 in Maryland. In infancy she relocated with her parents to Scottdale, Westmoreland County, PA. She is shown in their household in 1900, when the federal census was taken. Her fate is not known, and she may well have died young.


Connellsville Mayor J. Harold Dull

Daughter Alberta Fern Bruce (1902-1981) was born on Oct. 15, 1902 in Pennsylvania. She was a 1920 graduate of Connellsville High School and as a young woman joined the Hospital Club as a charter member. She was joined in matrimony with Dr. John "Harold" Dull (Oct. 1, 1902-1982), son of Stanton Bailey and Bertha L. (Kemp) Dull. They were the parents of Dr. Harold "Bruce" Dull and Joyce Sepp. Harold was a 1927 graduate of the University of Pittsburgh dental school and that year went into private practice, opening an office in the McCrory Building. The Dulls resided at 512 Wills Road in Connellsville. He was well-known for his community-mindedness. He helped found the Connellsville Booster Club in 1943 and was its first president. He was elected chairman of the Connellsville Recreation Board and in 1947 organized "a successful summer season of weekly night entertainment at East Park," earning praise in a Connellsville Daily Courier editorial. The 1947 work included opening a spray pool for children in the park. In 1955, Alberta helped plan the 35th reunion of the Connellsville High class of 1920, a dinner held at Pleasant Valley Country Club. He was held terms in the 1950s as president of the Connellsville Chamber of Commerce. Harold was named chairman of Connellsville's Sesquicentennial celebration in 1956, marking the city's 150th birthday, serving on an executive committee with two of his wife's distant Minerd cousins who had been mayors at one time -- Dr. Harold "Daniel" Minerd and Ira "David" Younkin. The anniversary year included creation of a landmark which Harold had recommended -- a 16-foot-high "eternal flame monument" installed by Manufacturers Light and Heat Company. Reported the Daily Courier, the structurer stood at the corner of North Pittsburgh Street and Route 119 -- "The upper section of the simulated marble monument is eight feet in height. It is topped by a Grecian lamp and burner." During the month of December 1965, he himself was elected as mayor of Connellsville, carrying the vote in six of the seven wards, succeeding Mayor John W. Collins. He served as mayor until resigning midway through his second term in 1971, citing "personal reasons." The Kiwanis honored him in 1967 as "Kiwanian of the Year." Alberta passed away in Aug. 1981 at the age of 78. Harold followed her into eternity a year later, in 1982.


Above: Connellsville, PA, where Harold served as mayor. Below: Harold pictured with 2 of his wife's Minerd cousins for Connellsville's 150th anniversary -- Ira "David" Younkin (top) and Dr. Harold "Daniel" Minerd (bottom).


  • Grandson Dr. Harold "Bruce" Dull (1930-2010) was born in 1930. He graduated from Connellsville High School in 1948. He went on to earn his undergraduate degree in 1952, cum laude, from Harvard University, followed by his medical degree in 1956 from Western Reserve University School of Medicine, where he served as editor of the school yearbook. He spent his career in Atlanta, where he was employed by the Center for Disease Control, retiring as assistant surgeon general of the United States. In 1966, he gave a presentation about the eradication of measles at the annual meeting of the American Public Health Association, held in San Francisco. In 1969, he was part of a study group analyzing use of penicillin in syphilis treatment studies. He testified before Congress in January 1974 over whether to repeal the mandatory vaccination against smallpox for children. Circa 1976, he is known to have been assistant director of the national swine flu program, weighing in with issues such as how many innoculations of vaccine were suffient. By 1989, much of his work focused on AIDS. He was the co-author of the article "A 1957 Outbreak of Legionnaires' Disease Associated with a Meat Packing Plant, published in the Jan. 1983 edition of the American Journal of Epidemiology. He held the post of clinical associate professor at the schools of medicine at Emory University and Morehouse University. He held a membership in the President’s Science Advisory Committee on the Effects of Environmental Pollution. In the profession, he was elected president of Harvard’s School of Public Health Alumni Association and American College of Preventative Medicine and as a trustee of the American Board of Preventative Medicine. His memberships included the Explorers Club of New York and Cosmos Club of Washington DD, and he was active with the Evangelical Lutheran Church of the Redeemer. He succumbed to the angel of death on Feb. 1, 2010, with an obituary appearing in the Atlanta Journal Constitution. His remains were placed into forever sleep in the mausoleum of Green Ridge Memorial Park. In 2014, he was honored posthumously with induction into the Connellsville Area School District Hall of Fame, represented at the ceremony by his nieces Dr. Kara Joyce Sepp and Kyle Sepp Woods.
  • Granddaughter Joyce Dull (1935-2014) was born on Sept. 16, 1935 in Connellsville. She received a bachelor's degree in teaching in 1957 from Chatham College in Pittsburgh. She was joined in marriage with Dr. Robert Sepp ( ? - ? ). Their three offspring were Kristin Sepp-Wolfe, Dr. Kara Joyce Sepp and Kyle Sepp Woods. The family resided in Connellsville, and Joyce held a membership in the Otterbein United Methodist Church. She died at home at the age of 78 on Aug. 6, 2014. In a Connellsville Daily Courier obituary, the family asked that any memorial donations be made to the Fayette Friends of Animals.


~ Daughter Rachel Beal ~

Daughter Rachel Beal (1868- ? ) was born in about 1868.

Nothing more is known.


~ Daughter Isabelle (Beal) Addis ~

Daughter Isabelle Beal (1872-1934) was born on April 2 or 12, 1872 in Cumberland, Allegany County, MD.

She was joined in the bonds of matrimony with John "William" Addis (March 31, 1865-1934), son of John and Nancy (Stewart) Addis of Dunbar, Fayette County. In an interesting twist, her brother Frank wedded his sister Martha Addis.

They made their residence for most of their lives in the Dry Hill section of Connellsville, Fayette County, PA.

The couple were the parents of Jesse Addis, Anna Crouse/Krouse, Edward Addis, Mrs. Ray Klingensmith, Pearl Warner and Mrs. Howard Parker.

William made a living as a hotel clerk.

Just a few weeks before her 63rd birthday, suffering from chronic kidney and heart disease, Isabelle died in Connellsville State Hospital on March 10, 1934. The remains were lowered into rest under the sod of Cochran Cemetery in Dawson, Fayette County, with Rev. Jefferson King preaching the funeral sermon at the Old Hickory Square Methodist Church. Signing the official death certificate was Pearl Warner of Connellsville. The Connellsville Daily Courier printed an obituary.

William only outlived his bride by four months. Having borne hardening of the arteries, death took him away on July 16, 1934, at the age of 69. The Daily Courier said in an obituary that he "had spent most of his life in the Broad Ford valley."

Son Jesse Addis lived in Dry Hill near Connellsville in 1934.

Daughter Anna Addis was joined in wedlock with (?) Crouse/Krouse. She lived with her parents in Dry Hill in 1934.

Son Edward Addis dwelled with his parents and sister Anna Crouse in Dry Hill circa 1934.

Daughter (?) Addis married Ray Klingensmith. They migrated to Everettsville, WV.

Daughter Pearl Addis was united in matrimony with (?) Warner. Circa 1934, the couple was in Chicago.

Daughter (?) Warner wedded Howard Parker. Their residence in the mid-1930s was in Grant Town, WV.


~ Daughter Christina "Tina" Beal ~

Daughter Christina "Tina" Beal (1870- ? ) was born in about 1870.

At the age of 10, in 1880, she was counted with her parents in the federal census of Mt. Savage, Allegany County, MD.

More about her life will be added here when known.


Copyright 2000, 2011, 2015-2017, 2021 Mark A. Miner

Minerd.com thanks James Phebus and Sherry Staley Harysch for their contributions to this biography.