What's New

Photo of the Month

Minerd.com Blog


National Reunion


Cousin Voices

Honor Roll

In Lasting Memory

In the News

Our Mission and Values

Annual Review

Favorite Links

Contact Us


Sarah Ann (Minor)
Williams Beardslee Warstler



Sarah Ann (Minor) Williams Beardslee Warstler
was born in 1873, presumably in Columbiana County, OH, the daughter of John and Emma (Howell) Minor.

Sarah was married three times. Her first husband was Charles Williams (1871-1911). 

The three children born into this union were Russell Williams, Clyde Williams and Treva Bailey. 

The family resided at Mineral City, Tuscarawas County, OH, where Charles was "one of Mineral City's best known residents," said the New Philadelphia Daily Times. He also was a member of the Knights of Pythias, Sherrodsville (OH) Lodge. 

Charles was was "a most experienced miner," said the New Philadelphia Daily Times. In about June 1911, he joined the Reeves Coal Company at or near New Philadelphia, Tuscarawas County. He and a co-worker apparently lived away from home, and rented a residence near the mine, during the term of their labors.

Baltimore and Ohio Railroad station in Mineral City

New Philadelphia Daily Times, 1911
Tragically, at the age of 41, Charles was killed in a mine accident. He was struck by falling rock in Mine #2, on Nov. 23, 1911. A front-page story in the Daily Times reported: 

His neck broken and body crushed by over three tons of rock, [he] died at 3 o'clock Thursday afternoon, before help could be given by his companions. Williams' body was doubled up like a jack knife, his head touching his feet. He lived long enough to implore of his partner to aid him... Thursday afternoon he was working in a room with his partner in a remote part of the mine. He was shoveling coal into a car when without a second's warning a huge rock fell from the roof, striking him on the back. He was flattened on the ground... The unfortunate man lived only a few minutes. As he lay pinned under the mass of rock he spoke only [four] words. They were spoken to his partner: "Can't you help me?

Charles died before help could arrive. It took co-workers half an hour to remove his corpse from the rubble. His body was placed in a mine car and taken out of the mine to the blacksmith shop to wait for the arrival of an ambulance. 

Sarah and her children were "prostrated over the husband and father's sudden death." According to the Daily Times:

Shortly after he had died friends in this city telephone his family in Mineral City. The Williams family has no telephone in its home and it was necessary to call the members to a neighbor's phone. Learning that there was a call from New Philadelphia, Mrs. Williams became frightened and refused to answer the call, fearing something had happened to her husband. Friends prevailed upon her to answer the call and her fears proved not to be unfounded.

Charles' mangled remains were laid to rest at the Mineral City Cemetery. He is one of an alarming number of our cousins and their spouses who have lost their lives in coal, coke and steel accidents in the workplace, and who are honored on our website.

Sarah thus was widowed at age 38, with three young children to feed and care for. 


Mineral City, home of  Sarah and Charles Williams 

Sarah with her mother
and sister Eva, 1940s 
Later, Sarah wed her second husband, Arthur Cogswill Beardslee (1871-1919), the son of John and Elizabeth Beardslee/Beardsley. He had been married previously and brought at least one stepchild to the union with Sarah, Henry Beardsley, and possibly also Ella Moch.

Arthur operated a grocery store in or near Canton, Stark County, OH at the address of 937 High Avenue. They made their home at 2420 Clyde Place Southwest. 

The Beardslees bore one daughter of their own, Verda Mae Frank. 

On the dark day of July 28, 1919, in poor health at the age of 48, Arthur made the final decision to end his life. While in his bathroom at home, he placed a .32 caliber pistol against his right temple and pulled the trigger. Death was instantaneous. Reported the Akron Evening Times, a story widely reprinted around the state, "He had complained early in the morning of feeling ill. Coroner McQuate announced he believed Beardslee suffered temporarily mental aberration on account of heat." Burial was in West Lawn Cemetery in Canton. 

Sarah married again the following year to her third husband, 45-yeear-old Sanford Elmer Warstler (1874-1939), son of Michael and Mary Ann (Poorman) Warstler. At the time of mariage, he was a "tallyman" and laborer at a railroad freight house. 

Sanford's children from an earlier marrage included Reese Warstler, Mrs. Carl Axe and Hattie Gaut.

They resided in Navarre, Stark County in 1922. He was employed in later years as a checker with the Wheeling and Lake Erie Railroad. He retired in about 1934 and two years later moved to moved to Canton. 

Sarah is known to have traveled to Sherrodsville in 1930 to attend the funeral of her father.

Sanford in his mid-60s was burdened with hardening of the arteries and heart disease. He also had cataracts in both eyes. Sadly, at the age of 64, he suffered a heart attack and surrendered to the angel of death at home on Jan. 21, 1939. An obituary appeared in the Massillon Evening Independent. Burial was in Crossroads Cemetery near Navarre, with Rev. Harvey Stoner presiding. 

Sarah endured for another 27 years as a widow. The U.S. Census of 1940 shows her in Canton, residing in the household of her married daughter Verda Mae Frank.

At the age of 93, she passed away in Canton's McCullough Nursing Home on Feb. 5, 1966. An obituary in the Dover Daily Reporter said she had been ill for a month. Funeral services were conducted by Rev. Clayton Stuaffer. She is buried with her first husband, but under the name of "Warstler," in the Mineral City Cemetery. The headcount of her survivors included eight grandchildren, 17 great-grandchildren and 11 great-great grandchildren.

~ Son Russell Raymond Williams ~

Son Russell Raymond Williams (1901-1987) was born on April 10, 1901.

He served in the U.S. Army, from 1920 to 1932 attaining the rank of sergeant. He was assigned to duty in the Philippines, China and Japan. Circa 1930, he was stationed with the Army in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada. After leaving the Army, Russell returned to Ohio and in 1933, in the heart of the Great Depression, joined the workforce of Timker Roller Bearing Company in Canton. He was placed in the labor department.

Russell was married twice. He and his first bride, Elsie Mae Scheetz (Jan. 3, 1910-1958) tied the knot in the 1930s. She was the daughter of Godfrey Scheetz of Dover.

Dover, OH, West Third Street looking east 

They became the parents of two -- Norma Jean Knerr Starkey and Robert Lee Williams. 

When the federal census enumeration was made in 1940, the family was in Strasburg, Tuscarawas County, OH. They lodged at that time with 60-year-old widow Rebecca Bair. They remained in Strasburg through the 1940s into 1950. Their address in 1958 was at 714 North Tuscarawas Avenue in Dover.

Eventually he was promoted to stocker at the Timken plant at Gambrinus in Canton, and retired after 27 years with the firm. He was pictured in the Dover Daily Reporter upon his retirement.

Grief blanketed the family when Elsie Mae was stricken with a cerebral hemorrhage and was hospitalized in Union Hospital. Several days later she died on Oct. 28, 1958, at the age of just 48. An obituary in the Daily Reporter said that the funeral jointly was conducted by Rev. Grovr Smith and Rev. Donald Klohr. She sleeps for all time in Grandview Union Cemetery in Strasburg, Tuscarawas County. 

Russell's second wife was Evelyn Belle (Brower) Nedved (Sept. 30, 1919-2002). They tied the knot on March 13, 1959. The couple dwelled at 423 North Tuscarawas Avenue in Dover. Russell sued for divorced in 1961, citing "extreme cruelty and adultery," but the parties reconciled and the case was dismissed.

They maintained their Dover home in retirement. He held memberships in the Eagles lodge and the Veterans of Foreign Wars. The couple lived above the state liquor store and once were cited for intoxication and disorderly conduct as reported in the Daily Reporter. They were plunged into grief in July 1956 at the electrocution death of three-year-old grandson Michael Knerr in Canton. 

Russell passed away at the age of 86 on June 3, 1987. The remains were interred in Dover Burial Park. 

Evelyn outlived her husband by a baker's dozen years. She succumbed to the spectre of death at the age of 82 on Jan. 30, 2002. 

Son Robert Lee Williams ( ? - ? ) was born in (?). He resided in Dover, OH in 1961.

New Philadelphia's North Broadway 

Daughter Norma "Jean" Williams (1936- ? ) was born in Oct. 1936 in Bolivar, OH. She grew up in Strasburg. Norma was twice-wed. On July 1, 1952, when she was age 16 and he 17, she was joined in wedlock with service station attendant and mechanic Gilbert A. Knerr (July 10, 1936-2018), son of Perry Walter and Ethel (Cook Lantzer) Knerr of Massillon. Rev. Sorenson is believed to have led the marriage ceremony. Together, they produced three offspring, Michael Leon Knerr, Debra Jean Knerr and Edward Bruce Knerr. The union was troubled, and he had several run-ins with the law in moving vehicle violations mishaps. Norma Jean had him arrested in December 1954 on charges of assault and battery. Gilbert at age 20 moved out, making his home in 1955 at 345 25th Street Northwest in Massillon. When he refused to pay support to his wife and two children, he was jailed. The pair reconciled and in 1956 lived in the Tilton Trailer Court on Navarre Road Southwest in Canton and bore a son. Unspeakable heartache cascaded over the family when eldest son Michael was electrocuted and died at the age of three, in July 1956. The couple divorced, with Gilbert moving to Tampa, FL. Then in February 1959, at age 22, she tied the knot with 25-year-old truck driver Thomas E. Post ( ? - ? ) of North Canton. News of their marriage license appeared in the Dover Daily Reporter. After a second divorce, she lived in Dover and on Aug. 8, 1960, she was united in matrimony with Robert Starkey ( ? - ? ) of New Philadelphia. Mayor John Studer performed the wedding rites. They put down roots in New Philadelphia. First husband Gilbert stayed put in Tampa for the remaining 45 years of his life. He became an auto salesman, said an obituary, and "with his vast knowledge and charismatic personality, he excelled in this vocation." He married again to Dolores, and the children in their family were Terrie Huthmacher, Janette David, Jimmy Collier, Kim Hoobler, John Knerr and Christina Holbrooks.

  • Grandson Michael Leon Knerr (1953-1956) was born on Jan. 17, 1953. His early years were spent in his parents' trailer along Navarre Road Southwest in Canton. On the fateful day of July 8, 1956, he was killed by electrocution "when he came in contact with electrical wires while playing under the trailer in which his parents live," said the Dover Daily Reporter. The boy's tender remains were laid to rest in Massillon City Cemetery. 
  • Granddaughter Debra Jean Knerr ( ? - ? ) was baptized in April 1955 in St. John's Evangelical & Reformed Church in Dover. On Aug. 12, 1972, she entered into marriage with Russell D. "Rusty" Ryals ( ? - ? ), son of Nolan "Pete" and Esther (Spitler) Ryals of Orrville, OH. The Ryalses spent their married lives in West Lebanon, OH. Five children in this family were Tanya Jacobs, Eugene Ryals, Lisa Sexton, David Hasselbach and Lita Ryals. Sadly, daughter Lita passed away young. Russell was employed by the automotive hydraulics manufacturer Rexroth in Wooster, OH, and retired from the company. Sadly, at the age of 67, Russell died suddenly on July 1, 2009, as a patient in Affinity Medical Center. Burial was in Stanwood Cemetery.

    Great-granddaughter Tanya Ryals married Joe Jacobs. They lived in Strasburg, OH in 2009.

    Great-grandson Eugene Ryals has resided in Massillon.

    Great-granddaughter Lisa Sexton relocated to Mississippi.

    Great-grandson David Hasselbach dwelled in Pennsylvania circa 1009.

  • Grandson Edward Bruce Knerr (1956-1974) was born in 1956 in Massillon City Hospital. He was baptized in December 1956 by Rev. Donald Klohr in St. John's Evangelical & Reformed Church in Dover. Living in Massillon in 1974, with his father residing in Tampa, Edward "apparently had no permanent address," said the Massillon Evening Independent. Along with two other teens, he broke into a Jackson Township tavern at 4 a.m. on June 14, 1974 with the intent to steal beer. Aleerted by an alarm, the three were discovered by tavern owner Steve Mordus and told to stop. When they refused, Mordus fired his gun, striking Edward directly in the chest. Edward was rushed to Aultman Hospital in Canton where he was pronounced dead on arrival. A funeral was conducted by Rev. W. Jay Dolvin of the Massillon Baptist Temple and Rev. John R. Nentwick of St. Joseph's Catholic Church. Interment of the remains was in Stanwood Cemetery.

~ Son Clyde Williams ~

Son Clyde Williams (1890-1947) was born in about 1890 in Dellroy, OH.

He married Janet Lindsay (1891-1982), also spelled "Janette."

Their children included Helen Isabelle Dischinger, Janet L. Class and Reese Williams.

In about 1908, he moved to Mineral City and stayed for good. He was employed for more than six years as an elected marshal of the town. He also served as president of the Fraternal Order of Police and of the Zoar Local 483 of the United Brick and Clay Workers of America.

Mineral City, Ohio, home of the Clyde and Janet Williamses
Published by C.B. Rainsberger, Druggist

Sadly, burdened with heart ailments at the age of 56, Clyde died in Union Hospital on Jan. 29, 1947. An obituary in the New Philadelphia Daily Times noted that he "had been in poor health for the past year." Funeral services were led by Rev. O.L. Williams, followed by interment of the remains in Zoar Cemetery.

Janet lived for another 35 years. She succumbed to the spectre of death in Aug. 1982. 

Daughter Helen Isabelle Williams (1914-2000) was born on Feb. 17, 1914 in Belmont County, OH. As a girl, she spent weeklong vacations at the home of her grandmother Warstler in Navarre. She entered into wedlock with Herman Jacob Dischinger (1910-1964), son of Jacob C. and Bertha Emelia (Schmidt) Dischinger. The trio of children in this family were Raymond Ellwood Dischinger, Shirley Minnix and Phyllis Ann Morgan. The family settled in Zoar, OH and held a membership in the Zoar United Church of Christ. Herman earned a living with the local Corundite Refractory Brick plant. He also served as mayor of Zoar and as a member of village council. Herman became seriously ill in about 1962 and suffered for two years. Death swept him away at the age of 54, at home, on Sept. 15, 1964. His obituary was printed in the Dover Daily Reporter. Rev. Clemens A. Wahl presided at the funeral, with burial in Zoar Cemetery. Helen survived her spouse by 36 years. She passed into the arms of eternity at the age of 86, in Canton's Aultman Hospital, on July 3, 2000.

  • Grandson Raymond Ellwood Dischinger (1938-1992) was born on Dec. 17, 1938 in Zoar, Tuscarawas County, OH. He moved to nearby Bolivar and appears to have remained for good. On Aug. 24, 1957, he was joined in matrimony with Patricia Ann "Pat" Schlegel (1938- ? ). Sadly, at the age of 53, he died in Bolivar on May 9, 1992. He sleeps for the ages in Zoar Cemetery. The widowed Patricia made her residence in 2008 in Bolivar.
  • Granddaughter Shirley Dischinger wed Fred Minnix. The couple were in Dover, OH in 1964 and Kettering, OH in 2008. Their one known son was Dale Minnix.
Early view of Zoar, the separatist community in Ohio founded by Herman Dischinger's ancestors 
  • Hermitage cabin, Zoar, OH
    Granddaughter Phyllis Ann Dischinger (1953-2008) was born on Sept. 21, 1953 in Dover, Tuscarawas County, OH. On her father's Dischinger side of the family, she took delight in being "a direct descendant of the former Zoar Society 'The Society of the Separatist'," said an obituary. Zoar had been founded as a utopian Christian community in 1817 by the Society of Separatists, emigres from Württemberg, Germany. All of the property in Zoar was communally owned, with farms, factories and shops managed by trustees. The movement lasted until 1898. Today the town's historical district is on the National Register of Historic Places and a National Historic Landmark District, with dozens of structures preserved in a collaboration between the Ohio Historical Society and the Zoar Community Association.              

    Phyllis was 11 years old at her father's death. She was a 1971 graduate of Tuscarawas Valley High School. Phyllis first married (?) Hardy ( ? - ? ). Together, they became the parents of a son, Tadd Hardy. Then on Dec. 15, 1979, at the age of 26, Phyllis was united in marriage with U.S. Army veteran Donald W. Morgan (July 9, 1934-2012), a native of Barberton, OH. He was the son of William and Lena Bell (Fisher) Morgan and stepson of James N. Buchanan. Phyllis "was a piano teacher for many years in Zoar and was teaching up to the time she was hospitalized," reported the obituary. "She was the organist and pianist at the Zoar United Church of Christ from the time she was a teenager until entering the nursing home. She also loved to sing and was a member of the church choirs [and] her love of music and teaching spanned her life time.” Phyllis also generated income as a waitress with several local restaurants and held memberships in the Zoar United Church of Christ and the Zoar Community Association. Donald earned a living in Bolivar with Delocon Company, the Ed Williams Lumber Company and at one time was self-employed as a cabinet builder. At one time he worked at the Ohio Historical Society's Historic Zoar Village. At the time of his death, he had been newly elected as a village councilman in Zoar. Said his obituary, "Don loved to do cabinet work for people and shared a wood working shop with his good friend Dick Lebold of Bolivar for several years. He loved to sing in church choirs and also sing solos at weddings and other special occasions. Don also sang lead in the Zoar Church Quartet [and] loved to build model airplanes and model railroad displays." As Phyllis' health declined she was admitted to reside int he Hennis Care Centre of Bolivar. Grief swept over the family when, at age 54, she died in Canton's Aultman Hospital on June 28, 2008. Her funeral was held in the family church, led by Rev. Kenneth Hutchinson, with interment in Zoar Cemetery. The widowed Donald outlived his bride by four years. He surrendered to the angel of death at age 77 in Zoar, on April 12, 2012.

    Great-grandson Tadd Hardy wed Paula and has lived in New Philadelphia. They are the parents of Katrina Hardy and Caitlyn Hardy. 

Daughter Janet L. Williams (1917-2016) was born on March 30, 1917 in Mineral City, Tuscarawas County. She was united in the bonds of marriage with Harold Richard Class (1912-1967), the son of Jacob Class of Dover. Two daughters born of this union were Wilma Cropper and Betty Lou Menegay. They made a home in Zoar Tuscarawas County, where Harold was employed as a kiln fireman by Corundite Refractories Inc. The Classes belonged to the United Church of Christ. Sadly, Harold died at the age of 55, in Union Hospital in Dover, on Dec. 27, 1967. His obituary was published in the Dover Daily Reporter. Rev. Joe McCarthy led the funeral rites, followed by interment of the remains in Zoar Cemetery. Janet outlived her husband by an astonishing nearly half-a-century and made her home in Dover. She was employed for 28 years by East Sparta Ceramic Tile Company. Then, needing to raise her five grandchildren, she earned income through her work with other employers in Zoar, OH. Said an obituary in the Times Reporter, "She enjoyed watching the Cleveland Indians, puzzles, playing cards and she always looked forward to visits from her grand and great-grandchildren." She also endured the deaths of her daughter Wilma (2003), son-in-law LeRoy Menegay and great-grandson William J. Barkheimer. At the age of 99, she passed into the arms of the heavenly host in Community Hospice House on April 22, 2016. The headcount of her survivors included the five grandchildren, 14 great-grandchildren and 22 great-great grandchildren. Her funeral was conducted by Pastor LuAnn Youngman, with burial following in Zoar Cemetery.

  • Granddaughter Wilma J. Class (1934-2003) was born on July 6, 1934. On Jan. 10, 1954, at the age of 19, she married Korean War Army veteran Richard LeMoyne Cropper (Nov 12, 1929-2017), said to have been the son of LeMoyne and Freda (Osborne) Cropper and a native of Canton. Together, they bore five children, among them Vickie Cottrell Cole, Harold Copper, Phyllis Diann Barkheimer Holshoy, Mark Cropper and David Cropper. The marriage was troubled, and the pair separated by 1964, with Wilma and the children living in Sandyville and Malvern, OH. Wilma sued for divorce on grounds of gross neglect, abandonment and extreme cruelty and the divorce was approved in court in December 1965. Wilma lived in in Dover in 1967 and in Zoar circa 1972. When Richard, now residing in Mineral City, failed to provide financial support for his offspring circa 1972, charges were filed in northern district court by his mother-in-law. Sadly, she died at the age of 69 on Oct. 10, 2003. The remains were laid to rest in Zoar Cemetery. Richard married again on July 17, 1974 to Mary Schrock ( ? - ? ). Said an obituary, "He retired in 1991 as an electrician from Aultman Hospital and then worked for 26 years at Zoar Golf Course. He was a member of St Paul's Community Church at Mineral City...  Richard was a member of the Bolivar American Legion and was also an avid golfer." He spent his final years in Navarre. He passed away at the age of 87 on May 19, 2017. He sleeps for eternity in Union Lawn Cemetery in Navarre. 

    Great-granddaughter Vickie Cropper ( ? - ? ) was born on (?). As a senior at Tuscarawas Valley High School, on Nov. 11, 1972, she tied the marital knot with Roger Cottrell ( ? - ? ), son of Hollie Cottrell of North Ridgeville, OH. Officiating was Rev. Lester Stephens in nuptials held at the New Cumberland Pentecostal Church of Christ. Vickie was pictured in a wedding announcement in the Dover Daily Reporter, which said she wore a "satin gown styled with bishop sleeves and accented with chantilly lace and pearls." Roger was a 1970 graduate of Tuscarawas Valley and at the time of marriage was employed by Holloway Tool Company in Zoar. Later, she wed Charles Cole ( ? - ? ) and relocated to North Carolina, settling in Weaverville, NC.

    Great-grandson Harold Cropper married Kelly. They were in Canton, OH in 2016.

    Great-granddaughter Phyllis Diann Cropper first was joined in wedlock with William Terry Barkheimer. The pair's known brood of children included William James Barkheimer, Chloa Barkheimer and Joey Barkheimer. Later, she married Richard McDade and Harold "Hal" Holshoy. Circa 2016, she and Harold dwelled in Canton. Their son William (1974-2011) was a graduate of New Philadelphia High School and spent his career as a welder with Holshoy Welding, General Welding and Gemstone Welding supply store at New Philadelphia. William wed Amber Pearch ( ? - ? ) and lived in Dover. In addition to her children Desiree, Darron and Zoe, they had two other sons, Brock Barkheimer and Lance Barkheimer. At the age of 36, William died in Akron General Hospital on June 15, 2011, with an obituary appearing in the Times Reporter.

    Great-grandson Mark Cropper was united in matrimony with Nancy. They have made a residence in New Philadelphia.

    Great-grandson David Cropper has lived in New Philadelphia. 

  • Granddaughter Betty Lou Class ( ? - ? ) was born on (?). She attended Bolivar High School. On Aug. 28, 1954, she wed Leroy Menegay ( ? - ? ), son of Edward Menegay. Their wedding was conducted by the hand of Rev. Guinther in the Evangelical and Reformed Church of Bolivar, OH. The bride was pictured in an announcement in the Dover Daily Times, saying she had worn "a suit in a charcoal grey shade with white accessories. A corsage of pink carnations was at her shoulder." Leroy was an alumnus of Sugarcreek High School. At the time of marriage, he earned a living at Horn Electric in Dover. The newlyweds' first home was at 201 West 15th Street in Dover, and they remained in town for many years. Betty was a talented church organist and is known to have played for the wedding of her niece Vickie in 1972. Circa 2016, the widowed Betty Lou dwelled in Dover.

Son Reese A. Williams (1912-1999) was born on Jan. 30, 1912. He wed Helen G. Scheetz (Nov. 20, 1912-1993), daughter of Godfrey W. and Mary Elizabeth (Bair) Scheetz. They were the parents of two -- Tommy J. Williams and Mary Lee Williams. Sadness cascaded over the family when daughter Mary Lee died in infancy. The Williamses lived in Massillon, OH in 1931 and in Strasburg, OH in 1935-1964. The 1940 federal census of Tuscarawas County shows them living with Helen's parents in Lawrence Township and Reese laboring as a coal miner. The Williams and Scheetzes continued to co-habitate as of 1950, with Reese and his father-in-law working as brick molders for National Brick Company, perhaps also known as Robinson Clay Products Company. As of 1964, when Helen's parents marked their 55th wedding anniversary, their home together was at 407 South Bodmer Avenue, Strasburg, having moved there earlier in the year from a residence on Bolivar Road. In the 1950s and 1960s, their names frequently were printed in the gossip columns of the Dover Daily Reporter for their visits with family and friends. Helen passed away on Sept. 19, 1993. Reese endured as a widower for another five-plus years. The angel of death spirited him away on Feb. 23, 1999. They sleep under the sod of Grandview Union Cemetery in Strasburg.

  • Grandson Tommy Joe Williams (1947-2019) was born on March 20, 1947 in Dover. He spent his life in the town of his birth. He was a 1966 graduate of Strasburg High School and studied at Canton Business College. During the Vietnam War, he was drafted into the U.S. Army. On Nov. 23, 1974, Tommy was united in matrimony with Mary Hain ( ? - ? ). Their wedding was held in St. John's United Church of Christ in Strasburg. The couple did not reproduce over their 44-year marriage, and they made their dwelling-place in Dover. Tommy earned a living over the years with Stone Container and its successor firm, Graphic Packaging. He retired in 2009. The pair belonged to the Church of New Hope in Dover. Said an obituary, "Tommy had a lifelong passion for music and at the age of five he began studying piano. He personally took lessons for more than 13 years resulting in him becoming an accomplished pianist [and] over the years, he played piano and organ for his church, as well as for many others, and he himself taught and trained countless of students how to play. Tommy was also a member of the Fortnightly Music Club and the Schoenbrunn Barbershop Chorus [and in] his spare time, Tommy enjoyed collecting and building model train sets and was a member of a model train club in Cleveland. He also volunteered numerous hours of time at the Tuscarawas County YMCA." During an illness, he was admitted to Cleveland Clinic, where he passed away at the age of 71 on Jan. 23, 2019. Burial was in Grandview Union Cemetery, Strasburg.

~ Daughter Treva (Williams) Bailey ~

Daughter Treva Williams (1896-1984) was born in 1896.

Treva entered into marriage with Wilbur J. "Web" Bailey (1892-1943).

Together, they bore three known offspring, Sara E. McDade, Dorothy Faye Weber and Wilbur R. Bailey. 

They dwelled in New Philadelphia in 1922.

New Philadelphia's West High Street 

Grief blanketed the family when Wilbur died in 1943.

The unspeakable sadness was magnified a year later when son Wilbur, serving in France during World War II, was killed in action in July 1944. 

Treva outlived her spouse by decades. She is known to have dwelled in Mineral City in 1948-1966. 

The angel of death spirited her away in 1984. Burial was next to her husband in East Sparta Cemetery in Stark County. 

Daughter Sara E. Bailey (1926-1971) was born in 1926. When she was age 18, on Dec. 18, 1942, she wed Edward McDade (Nov. 16, 1920-2015), a native of East Sparta, Stark County and the son of Okey and Cressa (Gill) McDade. He joined the U.S. Armed Forces during World War II and in 1944 was in the South Pacific, working as a medic. During his time away, Sara made her home with her widowed mother and single sister Dorothy. It took Edward two months to return home following his discharge in November 1945, and Sara learned to her horror that he had fathered a child out of wedlock with teenager Betty Hennis of Dover. He having "associated with other women," reported the New Philadelphia Daily Times, she sued for divorce and asked that her maiden name be restored. The couple patched up their marriage, and her case for divorce was dismissed in April 1950 Common Pleas Court. At that time, they made a dwelling-place in Mineral City. In August 1955 they are known to have jointly sold a town lot in New Philadelphia to Daniel and Esther Locker and purchased a farm at Magnolia. Edward earned a living with the Timken Company for 32 years and retired in 1981. He held a membership in the Isaac L. Kinney Post of the American Legion in East Sparta. Sadness blanketed the family when Sara died in 1971. Edward outlived her by some 44 years and married again to Doris M. (Fallor) Moyer (April 23, 2912-2016). She too had lost her first spouse in 1971 and brought these stepchildren into the second union -- Judy Sickafoose, Joan Bankert and Darrell Moyer. Said an obituary, "Ed enjoyed his many farming duties. His many gifts of service to the community included sharpening saws, fixing lawnmowers, and repairing numerous other items for everyone who would ask for his assistance. Ed's favorite hobby was working and helping other people." In July 2008, he relocated to Canton. His final six years were spent as a resident of the House of Loreto. Edward died at the age of 94 on July 16, 2015. Pastor Jeff Franks led the funeral service. His remains lie in eternal repose in Greenlawn Cemetery in Sandyville, OH. At the age of 94, Doris was swept away by the angel of death on Jan. 13, 2016 as a patient of Aultman Compassionate Care. Pastor Steve Kimbrel officiated the funeral rites.

Son Wilbur R. Bailey (1921-1944) was born on Sept. 25, 1921. He was employed in young manhood by Hercules Motor Corporation in Canton. During World War II, he joined the U.S. Army and was placed in the 331st Infantry, 83rd Division. He attained the rank of staff sergeant and was deployed to the European Theatre of war, first to England before the D-Day invasion of France. Tragically, while in Sainteny, France on July 10, 1944, he was killed in action. Word was telegraphed to his widowed mother in Mineral City. News of his death was published in the New Philadelphia Daily Times and Massillon Evening Independent. For several years, his body lay in the soil of a temporary military cemetery in France. Then in June 1948, the remains were among those of 36 Akron area soldiers sent home to the United States aboard the Army transport ship Greenville Victory, which was carrying a total of 3,734 bodies, including those of 244 Ohio servicemen. On his grave marker in East Sparta Cemetery are the words paraphrased from scripture: "He has fought a good fight. He has finished his course. He has kept the faith." 

Daughter Dorothy Faye Bailey (1928- ? ) was born on (?) 1928. She was a 1946 graduate of Mineral City High School, where she was secretary of the class. Then as a young woman she worked at East Sparta Ceramic Company. On Sept. 18, 1948, a Saturday afternoon, she tied the marital knot with Edward Henry Weber (June 24, 1927-1997), son of William J. and Margaret A. (Ruegg) Weber of Zoar, OH. The nuptials were held in the living room of her home, said the New Philadelphia Daily Times, and were conducted by Rev. O.L. Williams "in the presence of the immediate families... A gray gabardine suit with pink accessories and a corsage of pink carnations were worn by the bride." Edward was a World War II veteran and at the time of marriage employed by U.S. Quarry Tile Company of East Sparta, OH. The couple is believed to have settled in Edward's hometown of Zoar. Circa 1967, Dorothy was active in fundraising for the Mothers March on birth defects. Sadly, Edward died at the age of 70 on Nov. 11, 1997. Burial was in Ridgecrest Memory Gardens in Dover, OH, and a notice was printed in the Akron Beacon Journal. Dorothy has survived him by many years.

~ Daughter Verda Mae (Beardslee) Frank ~

Daughter Verda Mae Beardslee (1916-2006) was born on June 28, 1916.

She was active in girlhood in the Sunday School of St. Paul's Evangelical Church and a 1934 graduate of Navarre High School, among 27 seniors that year. 

Circa 1936, in Kentucky, the 21-year-old Verda Mae was joined in wedlock with 24-year-old butcher Henry George Frank (July 18, 1914-1992), a native of Canton. News of their Kentucky marriage license was published in the Cincinnati Enquirer. He stood 6 feet, 2 inches tall and weighed 180 lbs.

The pair's only known son was Ronald L. Frank. 

The Franks resided in Canton for decades. Circa April 1940, Verda Mae's widowed mother lived in the household. Then in October 1940, they dwelled at 324 West Lincoln Way in Lisbon, Columbiana County, OH, continuing his work as a butcher in the meat market of Kroger Grocery and Baking Company.

Then during the 1940s, the family moved back to Canton, and Henry began working as a fireman for the city's fire department. 

Sadly, Henry passed away in Canton on Nov. 29, 1992.

The widowed Verda survived for another 14 years. She died in a Canton nursing home a few months shy of her 90th birthday on April 3, 2006. Interment was in Sunset Hills Burial Park in Canton.

Son Ronald L. Frank (1938-2021) was born in about 1938. He entered into marriage with Janice ( ? -2003). Together, they bore a brood of children -- Richard Frank, Renee Frank, Randy Frank and Robert Frank. The Franks made their longtime residence in Canton, with Ronald employed in property management. They relocated to Delray Beach, FL in 1984 and belonged to the Pines of Delray Homeowners Association. Ronald was an avid model railroader and held a membership in the Train Collectors of America and Lionel Collectors Club of America. Sadly, Janice surrendered to death in Fort Lauderdale on Dec. 17, 2003. Ronald passed into eternity at the age of 83 on Feb 16, 2021. Pastor Gary Smith presided at the funeral, with interment in Sunset Hills Burial Park. An obituary in the Canton Repository asked that any memorial donations be made to the American Cancer Society.

  • Granddaughter Renee Frank dwelled in Canton in 2021. 
  • Grandson Randy Frank was married to or a companion of Cindy Pincoe. The couple was in Canton in 2021. 
  • Grandson Robert Frank was wed to or a companion of Barbara Welch. Circa 2021, they made a residence in Canton.

Copyright © 2004, 2007, 2009, 2012, 2023 Mark A. Miner